PDA

View Full Version : Garden State

Anybody Thrilla
01-02-2005, 09:27 PM
One of the smartest and funniest movies in a very long time. Who's with me?

loopydate
01-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Absolutely. I am so insanely jealous of Zack Braff right now. He's doing exactly what I wish I could be doing: writing movies that are hilarious, heartbreaking, infuriating, and meaningful all at the same time. And he's not that much older than me! Damn you, Zack Braff!

Seriously, though, "Garden State" is probably my favorite movie of 2004, and is going to get some serious spins in my DVD player. I've spent the last three months playing the soundtrack nearly non-stop, and the movie's going to get the same treatment.

Honestly - and this may seem like undeservedly high praise to some - I consider "Garden State" to be the equivalent of "The Graduate," in terms of a sort of generationally-defining film. I defy you to find someone in Zack's (or my) age bracket who hasn't dealt with that sense of...nothingness.

Absolutely wonderful film. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, expertly written... It just doesn't get better than that.

DaveWadding
01-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I went and saw it in the theatre...and paid barely any attention. Damn going to the movies with friends.

Boondock Saint
01-03-2005, 12:58 AM
It was pretty good. Didn't do much for me, and a shit super-fast quick fix ending which pissed me off. However a very worthy and well-made first effort.

loopydate
01-03-2005, 02:09 AM
What about the ending pissed you off? I thought

*SPOILER ALERT*

it was the right way to end that. He spent the first three-quarters running from everything (through medication, postponing his conversation with his father, withholding information about his mother's injuries). He's all set to do it one more time at the airport, but he finally stops running. He understands that his life at home is going to be hard, but the fact that he's staying is a resolution in and of itself. If he had gone back to L.A., he would have stayed the same person he was at the beginning and the four days he spent in Jersey would have been a waste.

*END SPOILER*

But that's just how I read the ending. I'm just curious what you thought.

Boondock Saint
01-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I dunno. It just seemed all like "i'm going back to L.A., I feel its the right thing to do." Then 5min later..."I love you and I'm changing my whole life right now in a split second for you." It just seemed rushed and tacked on to me.

I understand what you're saying though. That makes sense.

Anybody Thrilla
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
The ending made perfect sense. I'd change my mind super quick for Natalie Portman as well.

slextremely
01-03-2005, 04:12 PM
I like both Loopys and Saints points. But i felt the ending was eh also. Great film though. One of the years best.

OssMan
01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
yeah one of my favorites. Zach Braff is pretty much my favorite actor though, so I am pretty biased, but it is so good. like I dunno. I love it so much. I thought the ending was fine also.

Champion of Europa
01-07-2005, 07:04 PM
This is pritty much my favorite movie of 2004. It speaks so much to me right now, as well as the Soundtrack. I love them both. Its like my number 1 comfort movie (i.e. a movie that puts me back where I want to be no matter what situation I'm in) right now.

DaveWadding
01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Maybe I paid more attention than I thought...

I watched it again and I got the same feeling that I had the first time I saw it... that somehow I had been profoundly impacted...and yet couldn't understand why.

Great movie either way.

The Outlaw
01-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Just watched it. Great stuff.

Triple A
01-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah it is a fucking amazing movie. I saw it in the theaters and then I watched it twice on DVD in the last week. While I was watching it, I was like, "WOW this movie is fucking sick. God I love this". It rules when that happens. Makes me so happy.

I completely agree with what loopydate said. If I was to ever make a movie, it would be exactly like that. The way he shot the movie... that is exactly how I would do everything. It had sort of a surreal feel to it, which I love more than anything in movies.

This may sound like an overstatement, but I seriously think it is a perfect movie. And the ending was also 100% right. If he died in a plane crash at the end or something, that would have been "holy shit", but the real ending was perfect for the movie.

PapaGeorgio
01-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I love this movie a lot, I find it to be one of the best films released in a long time. My only complaint, which is small is that in some scenes I didn't care much for the soundtrack. It is only a small complaint but each time I watch it I do grow more fond of the soundtrack.

soconnor
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I thought it was boring and shit, it was supposed to be a comedy and I didn't even crack a smile

I love Zach Braff, I just didn't dig it

The Miz
01-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Soooooooooo bad

Champion of Europa
01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah it is a fucking amazing movie. I saw it in the theaters and then I watched it twice on DVD in the last week. While I was watching it, I was like, "WOW this movie is fucking sick. God I love this". It rules when that happens. Makes me so happy.

I completely agree with what loopydate said. If I was to ever make a movie, it would be exactly like that. The way he shot the movie... that is exactly how I would do everything. It had sort of a surreal feel to it, which I love more than anything in movies.

This may sound like an overstatement, but I seriously think it is a perfect movie. And the ending was also 100% right. If he died in a plane crash at the end or something, that would have been "holy shit", but the real ending was perfect for the movie.

I love you more than normal right now.