PDA

View Full Version : A change in the WWE?

Mr. Nerfect
01-05-2005, 11:25 PM
On The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD, Paul Heyman was talking about the evolution of wrestling, and how it needed to change, and it was ECW's purpose to change the face of wrestling. That got me thinking.

The bubble of wrestling burst in 2001, and from there on wrestling began to decline. The product itself didn't change, but fans still began to adandon it. Maybe it was time for wrestling to change again?

We have now moved onto the post-Attiture era, but the thing about this era is that it has not been named. There is something that's just blank about it, and we don't seem to be evolving as an industry, or discovering anything new, and the crowds are decreasing. Is it because there is no mega-star? Or is it just because this era has no focus.

As popular as John Cena is amongst wrestling fans, he may not be that next big thing, and while a future champion, one has to wonder if he can draw. One has to think the same about Randy Orton.

Anyway, my point is, what do you expect to see happen to wrestling as an industry? Will it peak again? Will it be the WWE that creates the buzz? Are any of the current stars in the WWE the solution?

Anyway this is just an idea, but what would happen if the WWE didn't look to change their product with a person, but with a style-change. Hereos slugging it out with villains died off, a badass lone-wolf stomping the Hell out of anyone died off, so now maybe we need something else to pave the way for a new era.

This probably isn't the best idea, but what about a stable war. I don't mean nWo vs. DX, but a new take on stables, as instead of just being one or two on a roster, make it five or six. Would a roster where each wrestler is associated with another bunch of wrestlers be entertaining? This could create more of a "league" type feel, where wrestlers all try and find their specialties, and although the World Title is the highest honour, all the other belts are worth winning as well.

Anyway, do you think it would be worth a shot to try and change the way things are done, or do you think maybe the WWE should keep on trying until they find that mega-star of the new millenium?

mike627
01-05-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD, Paul Heyman was talking about the evolution of wrestling, and how it needed to change, and it was ECW's purpose to change the face of wrestling. That got me thinking.

The bubble of wrestling burst in 2001, and from there on wrestling began to decline. The product itself didn't change, but fans still began to adandon it. Maybe it was time for wrestling to change again?

We have now moved onto the post-Attiture era, but the thing about this era is that it has not been named. There is something that's just blank about it, and we don't seem to be evolving as an industry, or discovering anything new, and the crowds are decreasing. Is it because there is no mega-star? Or is it just because this era has no focus.

As popular as John Cena is amongst wrestling fans, he may not be that next big thing, and while a future champion, one has to wonder if he can draw. One has to think the same about Randy Orton.

Anyway, my point is, what do you expect to see happen to wrestling as an industry? Will it peak again? Will it be the WWE that creates the buzz? Are any of the current stars in the WWE the solution?

Anyway this is just an idea, but what would happen if the WWE didn't look to change their product with a person, but with a style-change. Hereos slugging it out with villains died off, a badass lone-wolf stomping the Hell out of anyone died off, so now maybe we need something else to pave the way for a new era.

This probably isn't the best idea, but what about a stable war. I don't mean nWo vs. DX, but a new take on stables, as instead of just being one or two on a roster, make it five or six. Would a roster where each wrestler is associated with another bunch of wrestlers be entertaining? This could create more of a "league" type feel, where wrestlers all try and find their specialties, and although the World Title is the highest honour, all the other belts are worth winning as well.

Anyway, do you think it would be worth a shot to try and change the way things are done, or do you think maybe the WWE should keep on trying until they find that mega-star of the new millenium? Interesting idea, man I think it's sad that Vince has some of the best minds in this industry and he can't or will not take avantage of them.Aparently he wolud rather follow Steph's and Gerwtiz's lead which has done nothing for the rateings or attendance for house shows. I feel that the fans and stockholders need to light a fire under Vince's ass to reassign Steph somewhere else and fire Gerwitz.

Innovator
01-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I like my idea of a college/frat guy wrestler who beer bongs backstage before/during a match

mike627
01-06-2005, 12:04 AM
I like my idea of a college/frat guy wrestler who beer bongs backstage before/during a match Hey, that is the Sandman's gimmick! :lol:

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey, that is the Sandman's gimmick! :lol:

And RVD's gimmi.....oh nevermind.

mike627
01-06-2005, 12:08 AM
I like your ideas Alienoid06!

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I like your ideas Alienoid06!

Thank you. *waits for rep*

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's come up with it. You could really restore credibility to the WWE if you unified all the titles, and had the stables that hold the championships appear on both brands.

mike627
01-06-2005, 12:14 AM
There ya got some rep! lol! the only bad thing about it is that Raw will dominate SD!

John la Rock
01-06-2005, 12:30 AM
You're idea is good but it has all ready been done before in WCW. Remember WCW vs NWO?

A stable war would be fresh though

Loose Cannon
01-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah, it's been done in wcw. You had WCW, Four Horsemen, nWo Hollywood, nWo Wolfpac and LWO all going against each other. Pretty confusing time.

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:41 AM
You're idea is good but it has all ready been done before in WCW. Remember WCW vs NWO?

A stable war would be fresh though

Well that is a problem. But if you had Evolution, Anti-Evolution, La Resistance and a few other stables as well, it sort of becomes a "division".

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah, it's been done in wcw. You had WCW, Four Horsemen, nWo Hollywood, nWo Wolfpac and LWO all going against each other. Pretty confusing time.

Oh OK, I had no clue it was like that. I knew they all existed, but I wasn't sure how it all went.

Loose Cannon
01-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I actually enjoyed it though cause I love stables. But I think there was only 30 of us who did enjoy it :(

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:47 AM
I actually enjoyed it though cause I love stables. But I think there was only 30 of us who did enjoy it :(

LOL. I don't mind stables, but I haven't seen most of the in their glory. I'd just like to see some loose alliances where allt he wrestlers have some kind of connection. Not a Jericho/Benoit/Orton top generic face thing, but maybe something with a few ECW stars or something.

Loose Cannon
01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
They had this in WWF too in '97 with Hart Foundation vs DX vs Nation vs DOA vs Los Boriquos(sp) vs Truth Commission. The first three was the big feud though for a while.

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 12:59 AM
They had this in WWF too in '97 with Hart Foundation vs DX vs Nation vs DOA vs Los Boriquos(sp) vs Truth Commission. The first three was the big feud though for a while.

Yeah, but there has to be some idea that hasn't been visited by the WWE (or another wrestling promotion) yet. I can't say weight classes, because that would be weird and too much of an adjustment.

Kalyx triaD
01-06-2005, 01:05 AM
They're obviously heading toward a major Raw vs SmackDown! series. It made for a great one shot back with the lottery, and a good half year of that would make me watch Mondays AND Thursdays. And they need to come up with more Edge/Orton type rivalries where long time viewers are rewarded with angles that pay respects to past events. That may seem odd, but remember the WWE has a strange case of amnesia when it comes to certain angles (superstars would get trounced by wrestlers they mopped the floor with months earlier). In the Edge/Orton angle, I liked the traded words between the two on Raw as they reflected on what happened between them DISPITE who was a face and who was a heel. And when The Rock returns for his annual WM match, I'd see to it he gets a program with a SmackDown! superstar. That may not be an answer in a long run, but it's different.

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
They're obviously heading toward a major Raw vs SmackDown! series. It made for a great one shot back with the lottery, and a good half year of that would make me watch Mondays AND Thursdays. And they need to come up with more Edge/Orton type rivalries where long time viewers are rewarded with angles that pay respects to past events. That may seem odd, but remember the WWE has a strange case of amnesia when it comes to certain angles (superstars would get trounced by wrestlers they mopped the floor with months earlier). In the Edge/Orton angle, I liked the traded words between the two on Raw as they reflected on what happened between them DISPITE who was a face and who was a heel. And when The Rock returns for his annual WM match, I'd see to it he gets a program with a SmackDown! superstar. That may not be an answer in a long run, but it's different.

I personally think RAW vs. SmackDown! could do it, but you'd need to be able to allow some defections over to RAW, and it's been a while since the draft, and we've seen only a few actual RAW vs. SmackDown! matches. I don't count Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg and such, because their feud went beyond brands, as well as Kane vs. Undertaker. The only ones are really Eric Bischoff vs. Stephanie McMahon, Eric Bischoff vs. Paul Heyman (if you count that as a feud) and Chris Benoit vs. Rob Van Dam for the Intercontinental Championship.

mike627
01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
The Rock Vs. Carlito?

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 01:11 AM
The Rock Vs. Carlito?

That would make me mark out. :drool:

Kalyx triaD
01-06-2005, 01:14 AM
The Rock vs The French Phenom would be mad funnier. And there's ALOT of guys at Raw that should have a program with Kurt Angle. As far as storylines go, he's gold.

Gouda
01-06-2005, 01:14 AM
I've always enjoyed stables and stable wars. I think a big stable war would be cool.

Then have Batista come and beat up whole stables Austin style! :shifty:

Anyways... this era has a name! It's the HHH... I mean... "Ruthless Agression" era. :shifty:

Or "No more 'F' in the logo" era. :shifty:

In case you can't tell, I enjoy the use of the shifty eyes smiley. :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 01:18 AM
I've always enjoyed stables and stable wars. I think a big stable war would be cool.

Then have Batista come and beat up whole stables Austin style! :shifty:

Anyways... this era has a name! It's the HHH... I mean... "Ruthless Agression" era. :shifty:

Or "No more 'F' in the logo" era. :shifty:

In case you can't tell, I enjoy the use of the shifty eyes smiley. :shifty:

One of my ideas of a stable war would be to have one guy survive on his own. The two guys I had in mind are Batista and/or John Cena.

mike627
01-06-2005, 01:24 AM
And this can all happen under Comissioner Heyman's term. :yes:

Nark Order
01-06-2005, 01:26 AM
I like my idea of a college/frat guy wrestler who beer bongs backstage before/during a match
Would've been perfect for Nowitski...

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 02:23 AM
The Rock vs The French Phenom would be mad funnier. And there's ALOT of guys at Raw that should have a program with Kurt Angle. As far as storylines go, he's gold.

OMG, these feuds are priceless! I'm practically orgamisming over these suggestions for Rock feuds. In the perfect world Rocky would still be on SmackDown!.

StrongMad
01-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Lousy non-perfect world.

Astley316
01-06-2005, 10:36 AM
I think the basic problem with the wwe, is the stroylines,

In the 80's and early 90's. sure they were cheesy, but we all cared that Hulk beat the evil slaughter

Love him or loathe him, we all watch Ric Flair, go the distence to win the royal rumbel, and the world championship.

We all cared about the Hart feud, because it lasted and was fresh and kept it all intresting.

In the late 90's we all cared, about the Austin Mcmahon feud, we all cared when Hapless Mankind, won his first worl championship.

When you look at though these days, the storylines are so, damm frustrating that we care, Yes a lot of this is down to Triple H and his top tier domination, but look at when Benoit won the world title, alot of us started to care again, but they managed to Fudge that up, same when Jericho was the Undisputed Champion, at that point beating both the rock and austin was a huge acheievment, if they had done that right instead of feeding him to hhh, Jericho would be recognised by none internet fans. Again a more recent example, a lot of people started to care about Randy Orton, whether you agree or disagree about the timing of him winning the title, he would have had a lot more momentum, but like Jericho, he was simply fed to triple h, too soon.

The Bubble has burst, and it aint gonna be back until they take a leap, and not just by handing one guy the strap, they have to, start building story lines again that we care about, and it's not about bringing back, old guys, who have had there times, they need the writers to take a leap, and they need Vince Mcmahon,to start caring about his product again, and start pushing a few, across the board at all levels

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I think the basic problem with the wwe, is the stroylines,

In the 80's and early 90's. sure they were cheesy, but we all cared that Hulk beat the evil slaughter

Love him or loathe him, we all watch Ric Flair, go the distence to win the royal rumbel, and the world championship.

We all cared about the Hart feud, because it lasted and was fresh and kept it all intresting.

In the late 90's we all cared, about the Austin Mcmahon feud, we all cared when Hapless Mankind, won his first worl championship.

When you look at though these days, the storylines are so, damm frustrating that we care, Yes a lot of this is down to Triple H and his top tier domination, but look at when Benoit won the world title, alot of us started to care again, but they managed to Fudge that up, same when Jericho was the Undisputed Champion, at that point beating both the rock and austin was a huge acheievment, if they had done that right instead of feeding him to hhh, Jericho would be recognised by none internet fans. Again a more recent example, a lot of people started to care about Randy Orton, whether you agree or disagree about the timing of him winning the title, he would have had a lot more momentum, but like Jericho, he was simply fed to triple h, too soon.

The Bubble has burst, and it aint gonna be back until they take a leap, and not just by handing one guy the strap, they have to, start building story lines again that we care about, and it's not about bringing back, old guys, who have had there times, they need the writers to take a leap, and they need Vince Mcmahon,to start caring about his product again, and start pushing a few, across the board at all levels

I was just watching the ECW DVD, and something got me, the fans were into everything that happened. Where there bigger stars than in the WWE? No. Were there better matches than in the WWE. Sometimes, but what would be a better arguement is that they were different matches. And the crowd got right into. In the 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu ECW World Television Championship match on the second disc, Sabu set up a table in the crowd, and the fans helped him do it. There was some kind of connection between the wrestlers and the crowd, and I don't think you need to have extreme matches to do it.

People need to care not just about the storylines, but the people in them. What good would Austin vs. McMahon be if no one wanted to see Mr. McMahon get a Stunner? What good would Kane vs. The Undertaker be if no one believed Kane was a demonic monster capable of wiping Undertaker out. Taker didn't want to fight his brother, so we could see he had some human in him for the first-time ever. Did it make him look weak? No, it simply made us care about him as a person, and a character. The fans have to care about the people, and if just one person in a storyline is cared about, the fans will get into the angle. If the fans care about two people, that's even better. This keeps on building, and as long as the storyline doesn't lose substance, the fans will care about it, because they care abotut he people in it.

Right now in the WWE, we care about very little people in the WWE. Randy Orton is such a generic face, and that may not be his fault, but we don't care about Orton. Flair tried to make us with his promos leading up to Taboo Tuesday, and with the WWE super-pushing him, but it just hasn't worked. How to make the fans care about Orton? I have no clue, and although putting the title on Orton might work, I think they should hold it back until they've found something that makes us care about Orton.

The most simple thing I can come up with is having Orton involved with someone like Stacy Keibler. It might seem cheap, but I think it might do the trick. Maybe not a sexual relationship, but just a friendship or something, jsut to give Orton more of a human character to him. You'd then have him hover around getting credible wins, before moving on to a direct feud with a non-Champion Triple H, which Orton would win before moving up into a feud with the World Heavyweight Champion.

On SmackDown!, we have a very little care for anyone. Funaki has lost his lovable cuteness with the crowd, and he needs to get it back. I mean c'mon, who didn't think it it was cute when Funaki climbed to the top rope at Armageddon and Jimmy Cordares was telling him "No!", and Funak ijust wasn't listening. If they combine this with some strong wins for the #1 SmackDown! Cruiserweight, you could have Funaki become something in the WWE.

JBL is over, but we don't really care. He's like SmackDown!'s answer to Orton if you ask me. He's over, he's there, but we don't care. As much as I like the character, you can have a wrestler come in tomorrow, beat JBL at a house show, and it wouldn't make us care. What would make us care? JBL needs to be evil. He needs to pay Theodore R. Long large shipments of cash to get out of defending against John Cena one night. He needs to pay the in financial trouble, Big Show to stand between him and Cena. He needs to pay Cena's son to coem no TV and cut a rap about how his father is the worse role-model ever, and how he's a horrible father. Straight form ECW's book, but so were a lot of things that have been done, and if they did it right, it would make us CARE when Cena won the Rumble, got a cemented title shot in the main event of Mania against the man ruining his life, JBL. And when that F-U comes and shakes the ring due to Cena slamming him down so hard, and all JBL's Cabinet are on the outside of the ring knocked down, Cena covers and the referee's hand hits not once, not twice, but thrice, the place will explode because they CARE they have a new WWE Champion.

So long story short I agree, because to get people to care you need good storylines, but although you may have some winning storylines that are interesting, but don't make us care, I think you need to kick off something with a guy the fans care about as World Champion to kick this off.

That's why if I was in charge of the WWE, I'd have Chris Jericho win the World Heavyweight Championship. Why? Because in a recent WWE poll, most people think Jericho will go first or second, and in another poll most people said they would be least angry if Jericho won the Chamber. That's less people booing, or containing their rage, if Jericho is announced World Heavyweight Champion. That's less than Benoit, Orton and Batista. That might have changed now, but Jericho is still over, and if Y2J exceeded all expectations and won the title, we would care. Jericho vs. Benoit in the RAW Mania main event may not draw, but it would make us care, because we care about these men. You could replace Benoit with Michaels or Edge, but you still get the same result. Oneor two men who are not only over with the crowd, but men that we care about, thus we care about the storyline.

Nothing in the WWE is a draw anymore, so I don't think it will really matter if Orton or Batista is in the title match. Orton vs. The Rock would be just as acceptable, as would Batista vs. Triple H. Back that up with Flair vs. Foley (I personally think Foley will end up doing the match), and Shelton vs. Maven in an IC Title Ladder Match, you have a decent card, that could end up making us care.

Anyway, that's my little rant. Whether or not you care is up to you. :shifty:

mike627
01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I was just watching the ECW DVD, and something got me, the fans were into everything that happened. Where there bigger stars than in the WWE? No. Were there better matches than in the WWE. Sometimes, but what would be a better arguement is that they were different matches. And the crowd got right into. In the 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu ECW World Television Championship match on the second disc, Sabu set up a table in the crowd, and the fans helped him do it. There was some kind of connection between the wrestlers and the crowd, and I don't think you need to have extreme matches to do it.

People need to care not just about the storylines, but the people in them. What good would Austin vs. McMahon be if no one wanted to see Mr. McMahon get a Stunner? What good would Kane vs. The Undertaker be if no one believed Kane was a demonic monster capable of wiping Undertaker out. Taker didn't want to fight his brother, so we could see he had some human in him for the first-time ever. Did it make him look weak? No, it simply made us care about him as a person, and a character. The fans have to care about the people, and if just one person in a storyline is cared about, the fans will get into the angle. If the fans care about two people, that's even better. This keeps on building, and as long as the storyline doesn't lose substance, the fans will care about it, because they care abotut he people in it.

Right now in the WWE, we care about very little people in the WWE. Randy Orton is such a generic face, and that may not be his fault, but we don't care about Orton. Flair tried to make us with his promos leading up to Taboo Tuesday, and with the WWE super-pushing him, but it just hasn't worked. How to make the fans care about Orton? I have no clue, and although putting the title on Orton might work, I think they should hold it back until they've found something that makes us care about Orton.

The most simple thing I can come up with is having Orton involved with someone like Stacy Keibler. It might seem cheap, but I think it might do the trick. Maybe not a sexual relationship, but just a friendship or something, jsut to give Orton more of a human character to him. You'd then have him hover around getting credible wins, before moving on to a direct feud with a non-Champion Triple H, which Orton would win before moving up into a feud with the World Heavyweight Champion.

On SmackDown!, we have a very little care for anyone. Funaki has lost his lovable cuteness with the crowd, and he needs to get it back. I mean c'mon, who didn't think it it was cute when Funaki climbed to the top rope at Armageddon and Jimmy Cordares was telling him "No!", and Funak ijust wasn't listening. If they combine this with some strong wins for the #1 SmackDown! Cruiserweight, you could have Funaki become something in the WWE.

JBL is over, but we don't really care. He's like SmackDown!'s answer to Orton if you ask me. He's over, he's there, but we don't care. As much as I like the character, you can have a wrestler come in tomorrow, beat JBL at a house show, and it wouldn't make us care. What would make us care? JBL needs to be evil. He needs to pay Theodore R. Long large shipments of cash to get out of defending against John Cena one night. He needs to pay the in financial trouble, Big Show to stand between him and Cena. He needs to pay Cena's son to coem no TV and cut a rap about how his father is the worse role-model ever, and how he's a horrible father. Straight form ECW's book, but so were a lot of things that have been done, and if they did it right, it would make us CARE when Cena won the Rumble, got a cemented title shot in the main event of Mania against the man ruining his life, JBL. And when that F-U comes and shakes the ring due to Cena slamming him down so hard, and all JBL's Cabinet are on the outside of the ring knocked down, Cena covers and the referee's hand hits not once, not twice, but thrice, the place will explode because they CARE they have a new WWE Champion.

So long story short I agree, because to get people to care you need good storylines, but although you may have some winning storylines that are interesting, but don't make us care, I think you need to kick off something with a guy the fans care about as World Champion to kick this off.

That's why if I was in charge of the WWE, I'd have Chris Jericho win the World Heavyweight Championship. Why? Because in a recent WWE poll, most people think Jericho will go first or second, and in another poll most people said they would be least angry if Jericho won the Chamber. That's less people booing, or containing their rage, if Jericho is announced World Heavyweight Champion. That's less than Benoit, Orton and Batista. That might have changed now, but Jericho is still over, and if Y2J exceeded all expectations and won the title, we would care. Jericho vs. Benoit in the RAW Mania main event may not draw, but it would make us care, because we care about these men. You could replace Benoit with Michaels or Edge, but you still get the same result. Oneor two men who are not only over with the crowd, but men that we care about, thus we care about the storyline.

Nothing in the WWE is a draw anymore, so I don't think it will really matter if Orton or Batista is in the title match. Orton vs. The Rock would be just as acceptable, as would Batista vs. Triple H. Back that up with Flair vs. Foley (I personally think Foley will end up doing the match), and Shelton vs. Maven in an IC Title Ladder Match, you have a decent card, that could end up making us care.

Anyway, that's my little rant. Whether or not you care is up to you. :shifty: A Shelton / Maven 2 out of 3 falls match wolud make me mark out. :drool:

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
A Shelton / Maven 2 out of 3 falls match wolud make me mark out. :drool:

That would be nice, but I think a Ladder Match would make a more "epic" match, while a 2/3 Falls Match could be used to continue the feud. Maybe we'll see a rematch on RAW, that's 2/3 Falls?

The CyNick
01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Ive been saying for a while (like over a year) that they need to come up with some new way to spin pro wrestling.

The Hulk Hogan Rock N Wrestling era was completely different from the Bob Backlund era in the 70s. And the Austin era was completely different from the 80s boom, but even more successful.

The declines have seem to come when the WWE tries to use clones to recapture previous success. The most bltatant examples of this were Warrior for a short period in 1990 (luckily they still had Hogan to go back to) and then Luger in 93. Where they tried to make these guys clones of Hulk Hogan and push them in the same way.

I think they need to do something to once again change the face of wrestling, and get people talking. Stategically this should coincide with finding one or two guys that they think will be able to take them to new heights.

What is that new forumla? I dont know. There's nothing out there, wrestling wise that is making a ton of money that you could steal ideas from. So its even tougher than its been in the past.

If it were me, I'd look to market the shows to kids again. This is another point Ive made several times, but if you look at what is most successful int he movie business, its the kids/fantasy movies. American society is far more conservative than it was in 1997, so maybe the idea of the superhero good guy could be fashionable again. But anything I'm saying is nothing more than a guess, I could be completely wrong.

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Ive been saying for a while (like over a year) that they need to come up with some new way to spin pro wrestling.

The Hulk Hogan Rock N Wrestling era was completely different from the Bob Backlund era in the 70s. And the Austin era was completely different from the 80s boom, but even more successful.

The declines have seem to come when the WWE tries to use clones to recapture previous success. The most bltatant examples of this were Warrior for a short period in 1990 (luckily they still had Hogan to go back to) and then Luger in 93. Where they tried to make these guys clones of Hulk Hogan and push them in the same way.

I think they need to do something to once again change the face of wrestling, and get people talking. Stategically this should coincide with finding one or two guys that they think will be able to take them to new heights.

What is that new forumla? I dont know. There's nothing out there, wrestling wise that is making a ton of money that you could steal ideas from. So its even tougher than its been in the past.

If it were me, I'd look to market the shows to kids again. This is another point Ive made several times, but if you look at what is most successful int he movie business, its the kids/fantasy movies. American society is far more conservative than it was in 1997, so maybe the idea of the superhero good guy could be fashionable again. But anything I'm saying is nothing more than a guess, I could be completely wrong.

Well wrestling can't get more violent without being done before, and it can't get more plain without being stale, so they may as well do something that hasn't been exposed to us as much, and that's by making it more of a sport.

If you got divisions and rankings, you could potentially change the focus of the shows. A wrestler's place on the rankings determines his bragging rights, etc.

One hting that isn't around anymore is that "extreme" hardcore wrestling, like what ECW offered. Just an idea, but in say 10 years time when ECW has all but rotted from our memories, it wouldn't surprise me to see a new promotion start up using over-the-top violence to market themselves, until then I guess we have to deal with this semi-attitude, era.

Innovator
01-07-2005, 01:14 AM
The thing with wrestling today is that everyone is looking back in the past for ideas to use. Paul "God" Heyman said it best on BTR when he said that in the music business there can't be another Nirvana, another Grunge movement. Thats what ECW personified. It was something that was completly different from what was being offered in the industry. Lets look at what is happening in the wrestling industry currently:

-WWE, focusing more on storylines nowadays and the storylines are re-hashed 90's ideas

-TNA, heavy focus on wrestling, cruiserweight action not seen in WWE

-ROH, almost pure focus on wrestling with storylines setting up the matches

----

If anyone has any ideas, lets hear them

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2005, 01:29 AM
The thing with wrestling today is that everyone is looking back in the past for ideas to use. Paul "God" Heyman said it best on BTR when he said that in the music business there can't be another Nirvana, another Grunge movement. Thats what ECW personified. It was something that was completly different from what was being offered in the industry. Lets look at what is happening in the wrestling industry currently:

-WWE, focusing more on storylines nowadays and the storylines are re-hashed 90's ideas

-TNA, heavy focus on wrestling, cruiserweight action not seen in WWE

-ROH, almost pure focus on wrestling with storylines setting up the matches

----

If anyone has any ideas, lets hear them

It was actually that quote that inspired me to create this thread. What I wanted to get out of it was ONE idea that hasn't been done before that could change the face of the industry.

At first wrestling conformed, then it rebelled, and now it has nowhere to go, so either something REALLY needs to change, or a few good characters need to come along, and although I am a fan of cocky Orton, Batista and Carlito Caribbean Cool, one has to wonder if they have what it takes. I've got this idea that they could sort of intergrade themselves into the media world, with a lot of celebrity performances on TV, but that would probably just come off stupid, and even that has been done before.

I-Hate-You
01-07-2005, 01:53 AM
I call it the 'Triple H era'.

Mr. Nerfect
01-07-2005, 03:54 AM
I call it the 'Triple H era'.

I personally don't think Triple H will have an era. I think he'll have an eternity. :shifty: