PDA

View Full Version : How come DVD's are now full screen OR widescreen?

BCWWF
01-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I swear you used to buy a DVD and it would have both capibilities. I just bought Friday Night Lights and now that I get home I see its only full screen, if I had a choice it would be only widescreen. I got Troy in widescreen, and just assumed it was like that because it was such a long movie, but Friday Night Lights isn't that long. This makes me mad.

Triple A
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Like 98% of DVDs are just widescreen now. Sometimes they offer full screen too for dickheads who don't like the black bars.

Triple A
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Also, offering both full and widescreen reduces the quality by half.

BCWWF
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I just hope I can get the receipt, I hate fullscreen now

el fregadero
01-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Also, offering both full and widescreen reduces the quality by half.
You are full of it, they look exactly the same.

Shaggy
01-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I always go with Widescreen....fullscreen makes me feel like im missing something.

My question is more importantly why does everyone feel they have to release a Widescreen....Fullscreen...and an Unrated Directors Cut of every damn movie

Triple A
01-19-2005, 11:24 PM
You dumb shit, in order to fit twice the amount of data on a disc, they have to cut the quality in half.

el fregadero
01-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I dunno, they all look the same too me.

Funky Fly
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
I just bought Reservoir Dogs Special Edition for $10 and it has both a full scrren disc and a wide screen disc. I can give the full screen one away to someone now. :cool:

Lara Emily
01-20-2005, 12:55 AM
I just hope I can get the receipt, I hate fullscreen now

They aren't likely to exchange it if you've already opened it especially because the pacage clearly states what format the DVD is in.

Lara Emily
01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
I dunno, they all look the same too me.

Well if they are both wide and full screen on the same discyes both of them will look the same quality but if you were to compare it to say a disc that is just wide screen the quality will be worse on the dual optioned disc.

Boondock Saint
01-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Most are released in both formats. Fools buy foolscreen. I can't tell you how many customers say they prefer fullscreen because "you lose picture with those black bars and they're annoying" :roll: I've given up explaining it to people cuz they either don't get it, or don't care that they're missing 50% of the movie. The only time a fullscreen DVD is acceptable is a TV show, or a movie shot in that OAR.

#1-norm-fan
01-20-2005, 06:55 AM
You dumb shit, in order to fit twice the amount of data on a disc, they have to cut the quality in half.

Is that only the case when the disc is one sided? Like with Napoleon Dynamite, it has widescreen on one side and full screen on the other side. Quality seems fine though.

#1-norm-fan
01-20-2005, 06:58 AM

Does that apply when the disc is fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other or just when it's one sided? Napoleon Dynamite is widescreen and fullscreen all in one but it's two-sided and the quality seems fine.

Triple A
01-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Yeah, it applies. All new DVDs now are "dual layer" so they can fit twice the amount of data (like 9GB) instead of the original DVDs that were only 4.7GB. If a disc is two sided, each side is 4.7GB I think. So it is still obviously good quality, but it would be better if it was just one format of the movie on one side, using up all 9 GB. It is not really that noticeable though, I agree. A lot of time, to save space, they won't put certain types of audio streams and shit.

Ricky
01-20-2005, 07:21 AM
What I've never understood about widescreen is that people want more width because it fits more into the screen but they don't want more height as well? Why not just make both the hight and width bigger and then you can fit even more into the screen without losing the full screen shape? Widescreen just makes everything look stretched out which is stupid.

Mr. Monday Morning
01-20-2005, 09:56 AM
What I've never understood about widescreen is that people want more width because it fits more into the screen but they don't want more height as well? Why not just make both the hight and width bigger and then you can fit even more into the screen without losing the full screen shape? Widescreen just makes everything look stretched out which is stupid.

Most films are made using a lens that is wider than it is higher, like 2.35:1 or some such. If you don't keep that ratio you lose the detail at the side of the frame without gaining anything at the top and bottom, because the picture just stretches to fill the screen instead of adding any detail.

's my understanding of it anyway :-\

Bo
01-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Also with the the new widescreen tvs out now the wide verson fits the screen better than a full that looks really streched out and fucked up. So widescreen is where its at.

Kalyx triaD
01-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Film makers film films in widescreen, widescreen DVD's are what you're supposed to see. Fullscreen is the restricted viewpoint for dumbasses who think the black bars are evil. Movie companies are making money from these very idiots.

BCWWF
01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
16:9 is just a much better picture, simply put. If you are going to watch an epic movie with huge extensive battle scenes like Troy or something, then you want it in widescreen. Fullscreen takes a lot away from the original scene, so its not quite as powerful of an image. In my opinion, if its a good movie you want it in wide screen, but if you are just getting a random shitty movie with no special scenes or anything, just like a comedy or something, you might as well just get full screen. Hardly anybody has a widescreen TV in this day and age, and if its just a comedy I don't really care, I would just rather have a bigger picture.

Eternalone79
01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Very few but some fullscreen movies seem like the camera is doing funky shitif they go to show something that is off the full screen area that would be in the widescreen area...if you can understand what I mean-it kinda flashes to one side and back.

Boondock Saint
01-26-2005, 01:55 PM
16:9 is just a much better picture, simply put. If you are going to watch an epic movie with huge extensive battle scenes like Troy or something, then you want it in widescreen. Fullscreen takes a lot away from the original scene, so its not quite as powerful of an image. In my opinion, if its a good movie you want it in wide screen, but if you are just getting a random shitty movie with no special scenes or anything, just like a comedy or something, you might as well just get full screen. Hardly anybody has a widescreen TV in this day and age, and if its just a comedy I don't really care, I would just rather have a bigger picture.

Thing is, watching a comedy in fullscreen will not give you a bigger picture. You're still getting a compressed image. So you may as well watch it in Wide.

House of Pancakes
01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
widescreen is the only way to watch.