PDA

View Full Version : NHL season

Bad Guy
02-03-2005, 06:37 PM
likely canceled. ESPN projects an announcement tommorrow. Can't say I'm surprised but it's a damn shame.

Arashi Kage
02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm really not impressed with the NHLPA, I have a bad feeling that it's gonna be the owners who bend. If we don't get the cap, I'll be very unhappy.

If we lose the Oilers because of no cap, I'll be really unhappy.

If the NHL gets a cap, and some southern team moves back to Winnipeg and/or Quebec City - I can only dream of it. :lol:

Splaya
02-03-2005, 06:55 PM
All I have to say is :'(

BCWWF
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I think the players have a lot more to lose then the owners though, so I think the players are eventually going to have to give in.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Why don't they just get a cap like NBA and NFL? Those 2 leagues probably make way more then the NHL too and they are both doing alright with the cap. Players are acting like getting a cap is going to keep them from feeding their kids. Still gonna get a ridiculous amount of money to play a GAME.

Zen v.W.o.
02-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Couldn't agree more Stima. Model themselves after the NFL..how can you go wrong with the way that league is run? :y:

Heyman
02-04-2005, 02:38 AM
STiMa might be a homosexual that sucks his father's penis, but he makes very valid points in this thread. :y:

To go one step further, I'd also emmulate the NFL in every other way (i.e. no trading until the offseason, etc.).

BCWWF
02-04-2005, 01:04 PM
That is kind of taken out of context though. When the PA says stuff like that they aren't saying "Joe Sakic needs to make an unlimited amount of money", they are referring to the guys on the third lines and the ones that are playing with only one leg over the fence. They could be using that as an excuse so that the Joe Sakic's and Jaromir Jagr's can still make millions, but its for you to decide.

I like Jeremy Roenick, there was something on him on ESPN.com and then he was on SportsCenter last night. He basically said that he thinks the players would go for some sort of cap if it was around 50 million, and that the whole situation is stupid and needs to be resolved, but in more of a JR sort of fashion...Dunno, he's the man though.

MoRcHeEbA
02-04-2005, 03:05 PM
JR is an idiot... Also this whole thing hassn't been resolved partly because the NHLPA won't even let their players vote on any of the offers the NHL has put fourth. the last proposal I have heard is that the NHL was offering a 45 million dollar cap and it was outright rejected. The only people that I think are against the cap are players like Roenick who are making 7 million a season, guys who are playing on third lines and whatnot are probably only making 700,000 to a million a season so they could really care less because they'll still be making virtually the same amount anyway.

John la Rock
02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
the NHL in the US is dead :(

Adder
02-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I want to be a scab player.

House of Pancakes
02-04-2005, 07:08 PM
i just don't get the mentality of the players sometimes.

why would they rather have no league, make no money, and have to work day jobs... OR accept a salary cap and make 2 million a year instead of 5 million a year?

The Outlaw
02-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Saw a poll on ESPN that said noone cared.

No states in the US cared that the NHL is basically finished :(

Loose Cannon
02-04-2005, 07:38 PM
that sucks, I'm really going to miss all the memories.

Loose Cannon
02-04-2005, 07:39 PM
whoops, wrong thread. Meant to go here http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26068

Loose Cannon
02-04-2005, 07:39 PM
:rofl:

BCWWF
02-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Minnesota, Michigan, and Colorado still care

MVP
02-04-2005, 11:42 PM
So does Maine

This really sucks. I've been trying to make a point of the tax cap for quite some time now, and it's really meant nothing. :(

DaveWadding
02-05-2005, 12:13 AM
If the NHL gets a cap, and some southern team moves back to Winnipeg and/or Quebec City - I can only dream of it. :lol:
Nobody cares about the NHL in LA, Columbus, Carolina, Jacksonville (or whereever the Panthers play), or Nashville. Move one/all of those teams back north.

BCWWF
02-05-2005, 04:45 AM
Columbus kind of surprises me, are you sure? It seems like they have enough of a winter to be hockey fans.

I always thought that the Panthers played in Miami? Not sure though. And actually I am pretty sure that Nashville had a really solid fan base last year. The team that they definately need to move are the Carolina Hurricanes. That is the problem with the NHL, there is just not enough interest in it, and that is why salaries definately need to be restricted. There are so many little things that they can do and need to do to make the league more economically sound, but they can't unless they figure out a way to market better or else completely change how they run.

Who knows though, maybe they come back next year, Sidney Crosby becomes amazing in the next couple, and it has the same affect that the McGuire and Sosa home run battle did...

Gonzo
02-05-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm kind of indifferent on the subject, if the NHL is lost it will be a shame, but I think I'll be just as happy by getting my fill of sports with the NFL.

The Outlaw
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Minnesota, Michigan, and Colorado still care
Well obviously they don't according to the poll. The state that was closest to "caring" was Michigan.

BCWWF
02-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Do you realize how innacurate a poll is?

The Outlaw
02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah I do. But, obviously, the majority of people that watches sportscenter doesn't care about hockey. I've always liked hockey, can't say it will affect me like baseball or football would, but it still sucks. :(

BCWWF
02-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Hockey is by far the most popular sport in Minnesota, and that reaches far beyond the NHL. The high school state tournament sells out the 18,000 seat Xcel Energy Center and the Gophers are consistantly one of the top teams in the nation for college hockey, always attracting sellout crowds.

The way that poll works out would be innacurate for any sport in this situation. If the NBA season just didn't start next year, people wouldn't really feel like this miss it as much as if it ended in the middle of the season. Judging by the popularity of each league in recent years, basketball would probably be missed more, but people wouldn't be crying in the streets feeling deprived. Hockey didn't have great numbers last year, and it just never started this year, so in people's minds they aren't missing out on the NHL, and that is really my thoughts too. That doesn't mean that if the season was going that they would not care. The good American markets (Colorado, Minnesota, Detroit) would still be selling out every game and it would still have a loyal fan base.

Kapoutman
02-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Losing the NHL would be the worst thing that could happen to professional sport in Canada. They actually talked for a while of making a Canadian Hockey League last year, and it would probably be good if they can get enough quality players to sign.

PsychoSport
02-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Couldn't agree more Stima. Model themselves after the NFL..how can you go wrong with the way that league is run? :y:

The NHL owners don't have nearly as much leverage as the NFL owners did.

It would never happen.