PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, so how about NBA Street Volume 3?

Funky Fly
02-10-2005, 04:50 AM
I picked it up yesterday, and played a few games. I haven't played much, so I'm not sure just what's completely in this thing yet. And the manual is only like 13 pages long. I've noticed EA is getting mad lazy with the manuals these days.

Shit I like:

- The new more realistic look. It really helps in the customization department and it looks great overall.

- The Create a baller/court/shoe. It's been expanded and looks great overall. I'm glad they added Quicks to the list. And now that you can deck your guy/girl out properly (not just palette swaps on 15 or so static outfits), your characters can be truly unique.

- The new Gamebreaker system. You have to pull off some hot tricks now mid-dunk to get the maximum points. No more Gamebreaker level 2 (as far as I know), but your partners can go up for double and triple dunks to add to the points and sickness of the tricks.

- Gamecube getting the Nintendo Allstars (Mario, Luigi and Peach) in exchange for Online play. I am sick of Gamecube always getting shafted by that. Damn Nintendo's fear of progression. :mad: Anyway, they are way overpowered, but I guess it's ok, seeing as they are a special team and they are all like 3 feet tall in the game.

- The Beastie fucking Boys, nuff said.

- The option to switch between night and day on the court

The signature that appears when you pull off hot shit like a Gamebreaker.

Shit I don't like:
-The soundtrack is only 13 tracks this time around. And about 5 of those songs really suck. And they don't have any of the sweet sweet Just Blaze instrumentals the first game had (Young Guru was the sugar shit, kid).

-No real alternate controller layout. I am one of those guys that likes the bottom button on the controller to be shoot (A on the GC, X on the PS2) and the left one to be pass (B on the GC, pretty sure it's square on the PS2). You know, inverse controls. Volume 2 had that option and I loved it, this one only lets you switch between V3 (avec trick stick) and the classic mode.

- Lazy manual like I said above.

- The tutorial isn't interactive like in the last game. Considering the amount of changes and additions made (ie. THE TRICK STICK) they should have done it like in Volume 2.

Shit I will probably like when I get used to it:

- The trick stick. V3 now make use of the C stick (probably the right Dual Shock stick for the PS2 and whatever the right stick on the Xbox is called) to pull of tricks. It takes getting used to, but you can pull off 32 total tricks to begin with depending on how you use the Turbo buttons. Apparently, you are supposed to have 2 more levels of tricks for 96 total, but I don't know how that works yet. If you absolutley hate it, the classic control is still availabe.

- The Dunk contest. It's always cool, but we'll see how it is when I try it out.

Bad Company
02-10-2005, 05:40 AM
I liked 2, don't know if 3's out here yet... I'll be playing it :D

Sephiroth
02-10-2005, 05:42 AM
I'll try pickin up my copy tomorrow.

NBA Streets is the goods imo :y:

Bo
02-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Was gonna buy it got I got NBA LIVE since the price dropped on it.

DaveWadding
02-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Was gonna buy that todaay but didnt.

Funky Fly
02-11-2005, 01:08 AM
It feels way different that Vol 2. And it's not as easy to go crazy on the computer anymore. I will probably get back to my unbeatable status eventually, but for now, I am still trying to get used to the trick stick and inverted controls (stupid defalut basketball video game configuration).

#BROKEN Hasney
02-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Has the Gamecube version got less music like Def Jam Vendetta did? They cut a little bit out on that one to make room for more FMV and stuff

Funky Fly
02-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Has the Gamecube version got less music like Def Jam Vendetta did? They cut a little bit out on that one to make room for more FMV and stuff
Oh snap, I didn't know there were tracks cut out of Vendetta. :eek:

Since there are only 13 songs, I will assume so. I wish they'd left out the "Inside EA" stuff in favour of more music. The soundtrack is really what helped make NBA Street vol 2 damn near perfect.

Funky Fly
02-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Whooo, now that I am getting used to the Trick Stick and inverted controls, I am liking the gmeplay more. The Dunk contests are kinda cool too.

RoXer
02-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Question, can you update rosters on the PS2 and X-Box versions?

Funky Fly
02-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Question, can you update rosters on the PS2 and X-Box versions?
I wouldn't know (got the cube version), but I would guess no, since it's more of an arcadey NBA Jam type thing and not serious stuff like NBA Live or whatever.

RoXer
02-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured.

DaveWadding
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
you can just make a new team with an updated roster

Shaggy
02-15-2005, 01:37 AM
I played it for a while this afternoon....didnt really like the dunk contest that much.

Im doing that legends thing right now and my character is this big fat black guy. I wanted him to be tall skinny and white for blocks but for some reason I got fat short and black.

Funky Fly
02-15-2005, 03:24 AM
The dunk contest lets you do some crazy stuff. It's not too hard to get over 25/30.

If you're good, you can pull something like: Kick the ball off the backboard, vault over a prop, lever 3 trick and a level 1 trick. That's like 28-30/30 right there.

Kane Knight
02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
It's pretty stupid to assume that the soundtrack of a game on the GCN is indicitive of the soundtrack on the other platforms.

In this case, though, you may be right.

Mr. Monday Morning
04-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I only picked this up a couple weeks ago, never played the previous versions but I love this, hot shit. Got a sweet crew right now, Jason Williams, Paul Pierce, LeBron and T-Mac :cool:

It irritates me the way you have to answer challenges or else lose 50 off your rep, I did that and got kicked off the Celtics for missing games :mad: And the dunk contest is aight, nothing special though. Could've been better.

De La Soul though :love:

Funky Fly
04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
it's not as easy to go crazy on the computer anymore
When I said that, I was wrong. I still have a problem with the little midget guys stealing the ball (damn you Pistol Pete :mad: ), but mostly, I can play circles around them and score 21-0 games.