PDA

View Full Version : Bring back KOTR.

PullMyFinger
02-20-2005, 06:02 PM
The WWE is stupid for taking away KOTR. It used to be one of my fav PPVs, and established a lot of future stars with the KOTR win.

Who agrees?

Gouda
02-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I loved the King of the Ring too.

I think they should bring it back as a Smackdown exclusive. Help establish some people over there.

IF it was both brands they'd just make Raw look superior again.

PullMyFinger
02-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Smackdown!...I'd have Carlito Carribean Cool win it.

The Answer
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree KOTR should be brought back.

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
02-20-2005, 06:50 PM
KOTR was awesome

Kane Knight
02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Hell Yeah.

The CyNick
02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I always liked the concept of the show, but most of them kinda sucked. There isn't one tournament that I go back and check out because it was so great.

The other thing is that it did poorly in terms of buyrates compared to the other major PPVs, so its not something the fans were really into in major way.

However, and Ive said this before, I wouldn't be against bringing it back as a brand exclusive show, just to break the sameness of all the PPVs.

Esoteric
02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
it would be tight if they had a king of the ring for both brands on the same night like have the semi or quater finals of the tournament then the winner from each brand will compete against each other and get to face the champion of their choicing at summerslam

Marcyo
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
That would rule.

The Naitch
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
KOTR 2002 was good because they had the 'Winner of KOTR' goes to face the WWE Champion at Summerslam. It'd mean more if they did it like that every year :y:

Fox
02-20-2005, 10:51 PM
KOTR was cool, but CyNick is right. They fucked up a lot of the King of the Rings simply because the WWE doesn't know how to book a tournament.

For example, in 2000 (I believe), Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho were the only two men that could've won the KOTR, and everyone expected them to wrestle each other in the finals. Instead, they wrestled each other in the first round, and Angle wrestled Rikishi in the finals. To make things worse, Chris Benoit vs. Rikishi was also in the first round, which lasted about 3 minutes when Benoit hit Rikishi with a chair and DQ'd himself.

The argument that the KOTR helped to elevate stars is arguable, simply because it's not a victory at KOTR that elevates someone, it's the booking team's decision to elevate someone. The only person whom I can remember truly gaining something from his KOTR victory was Steve Austin, but that was only because of his "Austin 3:16" line after beating Jake Roberts.

So yeah, in other words, KOTR wasn't anything special, but I guess it would be cool to see it come back, if only to break the monotony.

I-Hate-You
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
KOTR PPVs weren't exactly the best.

Savio
02-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Yeah but asking for stuff won't get you anywhere.

Sting Fan
02-21-2005, 02:11 AM
I agree with Naitch and give the KOTR a reason for being e.g. Brocks title shot.

If I was booking I would make it a tournament (not neccesarily a PPV) where if you are a former world champion you cant enter (or maybe only one former World champion per year) and if you win you get either a World title or IC/U.S. title shot at the next PPV.

Depending of course on whether you wish to elevate main event guys or make undercard stars, this World or IC/U.S. decision would also determine if it was a PPV or just a T.V. tournament with the final on PPV.

I would prefer too see a T.V. tournament with guys getting a shot at there secondary title or maybe with a provisor for a tag team title shot for a tag team guy. This could create undercard stars out of guys like Hussan, Richards and Rhyno and maybe even give guys like Benjamin a second shot at a title he lost or something among those lines. The Tag team provisor could also be used as a way of setting up feuds or raising the tag divisions profile, where you could have guy A jealous of guy B for taking a IC shot not a tag shot, or it gives the look of importance to the tag titles because to that man it is more important.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
I made a topic a while back about the WWE bringing back the KOR in the June slot they have unconfirmed (which is strongly rumoured to become an ECW PPV). I'd have it interpromotional as well.

The rules of the tournament I thought up a while ago had the following rules.

-You are automatically in if you ae a former King of the Ring or Intercontinental/United States Champion.

RAW: This enters Triple H (KOR, IC), Shawn Michaels (IC), Kane (IC) Chris Benoit (IC, US), Chris Jericho (IC), Randy Orton (IC), Edge (KOR, IC, US), Viscera (KOR), William Regal (IC), Val Venis (IC), Christian (IC), Shelton Benjamin (IC), Rhyno (US), Tajiri (US)

SmackDown!: Kurt Angle (KOR, IC, US), Eddie Guerrero (IC, US), Booker T (IC, US), The Big Show (US), John Cena (US), Carlito Caribbean Cool (US)

-You cannot under any circumstances (even if you have won a previous KOR) enter the tournament if you are a former World Champion.

NOTE: This removes Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, The Big Show from the tournament.

RAW: Edge, Viscera, William Regal, Val Venis, Christian, Shelton Benjamin, Rhyno (I'm not counting ECW), Tajiri

SmackDown!: John Cena, Carlito Caribbean Cool

This right here shows you which show has the strongest mid-card/main event. I actually forgot to add three people into RAW and had to go back.

-All WWE Cruiserweight Champions are entered into the tournament, if a place on their brand requires filling (so The Hurricane missesout on RAW).

RAW: Edge, Viscera, William Regal, Val Venis, Christian, Shelton Benjamin, Rhyno, Tajiri

SmackDown!: John Cena, Carlito Caribbean Cool, Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman, Paul London (assuming he wins the Cruiserweight Championship at WrestleMania), Chavo Guerrero, Funaki

From here you can add more guy to take the tournament up to 16 people on each brand, but I'll just leave it here for now.

-SmackDown! only has 7 people entered, so they have a tournament, and either grant the entry to Luther Reigns or Charlie Haas. Just to be different, let's say Luther Reigns gets in.

Here are the brackets for the tournament:

RAW:
Edge vs. Viscera
William Regal vs. Val Venis

Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin
Rhyno vs. Tajiri

SmackDown!:
John Cena vs. Billy Kidman
Carlito Caribbean Cool vs. Paul London

Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero
Funaki vs. Charlie Haas

-Have Edge beat Viscera, and maybe have the match one where you can only win by throwing your opponent over the top rope (I think they could use gimmicks in the KOR to spice it up).

-Val Venis beats William Regal cleanly.

-Christian gets beaten by Shelton Benjamin.

-Rhyno defeats Tajiri with The Gore.

-Edge beats Val Venis via pinfall.

-Rhyno gets the victory over Shelton Benjamin.

So at the PPV on the RAW side you have Edge vs. Rhyno. You can also have a Six-Man Tag Team Match, with William Regal, Tajiri & Shelton Benjamin facing Christian, Viscera & Val Venis, with the heels stealing the win.

On SmackDown!:

-John Cena defeats Billy Kidman, even after Kidman tries cheating at every oppourtunity.

-Carlito Caribbean Cool beats Cruiserweight Champion, Paul London. Maybe have the match actually take place for the CW Title, as well. I can see a 2/3 Falls Match being good for these guys.

-Rey Mysterio gets the victory over Chavo Guerrero with the returning West Coast Pop.

-Charlie Haas pins Funaki with the Exploder Suplex.

-John Cena defeats Carlito Caribbean Cool after CCC is caught cheating and is disqualified.

-Charlie Haas gets Rey Mysterio to submit to the Haas of Pain fr the submission advancement.

Now at KOR you have John Cena vs. Charlie Haas on the SmackDown! side, with a possible Carlito Caribbean Cool, Billy Kidman & Chavo Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, Paul London & Funaki match, with the match being able to go either way and still look good, but I'd give it to the heels.

At the PPV, you have Edge defeat Rhyno, and John Cena defeat Charlie Haas after Shelton Benjamin costs him the match, since Haas confronted Shelton Benjamin rubbing his further advancement in the tournament in Shelton's face. This can lead to an impromptu Shelton Benjamin vs. Charlie Haas match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.

In the finals of the tournament, Edge misses a Spear, goes up for te F-U, floats behind and kicks Cena in the gut, allowing him to get the Edgecution for the 1-2-3. Edge becomes the first-man ever to win the King of the Ring tournament twice. He gets to challenge the Champion of his choice at Summerslam. He chooses Batista and goes over with the Spear.

Volchok
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
to bad WWE isnt that creative...

Scarface
02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah they should bring it back.