PDA

View Full Version : Bloc Party

Danny Electric
02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
So who picked up 'Silent Alarm' last week. I really like this album and the songs grow on me the more I listn to them. I would love to see them live in April with Pretty Girls Make Graves, if I can get some cash together.

El Capitano Gatisto
02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't think the album is anything special.

Probably prefered the EP, to be honest. I'd take Like Eating Glass and Helicopter and add those to the EP, and probably be happer with it as a record.

It's not bad, just that I don't think the vocalist is particular good and they are better when the excellent band drives the songs with their sound, which songs that didn't make the album, like The Marshalls Are Dead and The Answer show.

Blue Light is an awful song. Get the feeling they were told to throw a couple of slower ones on there to release as singles.

Danny Electric
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM
I kinda agree with that point. My fav Bloc Party song is 'Skeleton' but as I said the album is growing on me.

FakeLaser
02-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Haven't heard them really.

PGMG are awesome though.

El Capitano Gatisto
02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I kinda agree with that point. My fav Bloc Party song is 'Skeleton' but as I said the album is growing on me.
Yeah, I do like it, I just think it could have been a lot better. I think there is a lot more to come for them, and that they will outlive this current wave of "art-rock" bands, who are pretty samey and re-creating the New Wave sound.

There's enough there to show they can be a great band. Like in Positive Tension there is a 5 second part near the end of the song where the band let rip and it sounds great, and I wish they'd loosen up and do some more of that instead of playing some tight, pop songs.

Danny Electric
02-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it was the same to a certain extent with other British acts like Hundred Reasons and Funeral For A Friend. EP's that fully showcase their album followed by an album with pop songs. Not that I'm comparing Bloc Party to them musically.
I know what you mean, I think their well above the competition out there.

diothoir
02-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I like the album, would've prefered Skeleton, Marshalls are Dead and Tulips on the album instead of a few others but overall I'm happy enough.

Like ECG said, they could be a great band.

Kris
03-01-2005, 07:21 AM
They are great, but I still think that The Futureheads are better.