PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Built Up Wrestling Storyline (Raw Spoiler)

Loose Cannon
02-23-2005, 09:52 PM
On Monday, we saw the culmination of the build up to Batista turning on Evolution. It was a great moment thanks to the slow build and anticipation for the turn.

Over the course of wrestling, there have been many angles like this. What was everyone's favorite?

Mine has to be from March of 97-November 97 with Bret and HBK. They were having and on and off again feud for a while and it really heated up after Summerslam, when Bret won his 5th Title. The tension between the two men was very real and it made for excellent TV. DX vs The Hart Foundation was one to remember. Then they finally sqaured off at Survivor Series....and yea. But great build up to thier match.

McLegend
02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Hogan vs. Sting leading up to Starcade.

It was Amazing one of the the things WCW did right. Of course the match sucked, but still the build up was excellent.

Kapoutman
02-23-2005, 09:57 PM
That Bret vs Owen feud had the most incredible build-up I ever saw. Started slow, and every match in it had more and more significance, and then Owen was in Backlund's corner...It was all so great.

KingofOldSchool
02-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Ric Flair vs. Sting

Funky Fly
02-23-2005, 10:05 PM
You realize that this past Raw was the culmination to probably the best angle in 5 years.

Volchok
02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
yeah monday was pretty sweet... i actully marked out for once..

MVP
02-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Bret/HBK in 97 is my all time favorite, followed by Hogan/Savage in 89.

Gouda
02-24-2005, 12:33 AM
All the stuff mentioned here was great.

To add something more recent to the mix, the build up for Jericho vs. Christian was pretty sweet.

PullMyFinger
02-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Rock vs. Austin.

Innovator
02-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Sabu...

Taz...

Barely Legal

Fox
02-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Rock/Austin at WrestleMania XV

Austin's storyline with Vince McMahon was at its absolute hottest, making him the ultimate bad ass baby face to take the title. And who better to take the title from than The Corporate Champ, The Rock, who was beating Mankind's ass all over the country at the time. Mankind, as he always does, did an incredible job of making Rock look like a star in their 3 or 4 matches before Mania, making him a heel to be reckoned with.

Rock/Austin was just the culimination of the hottest feud during the hottest years in WWE's history. I loved it.

Michaels/Jericho leading up to WrestleMania XIX was also extremely well done. I loved the promos where Chris talked about how much he idolized HBK as an up and coming wrestler, how everyone told him he would be the "Next Shawn Michaels," but now he wanted to be the first Chris Jericho. I loved that line, and the entire storyline, because it mixed reality with drama, and featured two of the greatest wrestlers of the decade. And the match was a five star contest all the way through, which always helps.

Shaggy
02-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Austin Vs HBK at Mania was a pretty good leadup.....

The First Austin Vs McMahon match leadup was pretty good only because basically the lead up took about 3 years.

Hogan and Sting was good

I sorta liked the goldberg Vs hart thing untill goldberg had to screw it all up by ending The Hitman.....

Sting Fan
02-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I dont see how you can go past the build for Sting vs. Hogan at Starcade, I mean lets be honest fans didnt need Sting to hit out they blew the roof off of arenas just to hear him speak.

As was stated though the match IMO was the begining of the end for WCW.

LK
02-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Rock/Austin at WrestleMania XV

Austin's storyline with Vince McMahon was at its absolute hottest, making him the ultimate bad ass baby face to take the title. And who better to take the title from than The Corporate Champ, The Rock, who was beating Mankind's ass all over the country at the time. Mankind, as he always does, did an incredible job of making Rock look like a star in their 3 or 4 matches before Mania, making him a heel to be reckoned with.

Rock/Austin was just the culimination of the hottest feud during the hottest years in WWE's history. I loved it.

Michaels/Jericho leading up to WrestleMania XIX was also extremely well done. I loved the promos where Chris talked about how much he idolized HBK as an up and coming wrestler, how everyone told him he would be the "Next Shawn Michaels," but now he wanted to be the first Chris Jericho. I loved that line, and the entire storyline, because it mixed reality with drama, and featured two of the greatest wrestlers of the decade. And the match was a five star contest all the way through, which always helps.
Would probably those two as well plus this past Raw.

Chuck Jones
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
I'd say the best build up for a storyline was Wrestlemania 17, with Rock and Austin. The story of that match was absolutely brilliant. The story was basically who wanted the title more, and the match was one of the best Wrestlemania main events in recent years.

I also have to agree with everyone of the storylines that you've all mentioned. Another good one was the Jericho/Malenko feud of 1998. When Dean unmasked at Slamboree, I marked out huge.

XL
02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I know you guys will probably slander me for sayin this but i think WWE popped the cork a little early on this one.

Personally I would have preffered if Batista had signed the RAW contract with the intention of having a friendly rivalry with HHH, you could see it as Batista checking HHH out, making sure he's still as 'good' as he used to be, or play on the idea that this way they could keep the title in the hands of Evolution.

Then have him snap when he finds out it was HHH who planned for the limo!

I just think theres a slight lack of logic, unless they leave this avenue open for Batista's first challenger!

Any who it has been a good angle.

Unertaker/Kane fued was pretty good the first time round! With Kane attacking Taker all the time and Taker saying he would not fight him,then at WM14 it came to ahead, granted a poor match but I liked the build up.

Bret/Owen was one of the best Austin/Vince as well.

Fox
02-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah, but if they simply agreed to a friendly match at Mania, not only would it undermine the storyline of HHH conspiring to get Batista to go to Smackdown, but we wouldn'tve gotten to see Hunter get powerbombed through a table.

And God did I love that powerbomb.

Shaggy
02-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeah, but if they simply agreed to a friendly match at Mania, not only would it undermine the storyline of HHH conspiring to get Batista to go to Smackdown, but we wouldn'tve gotten to see Hunter get powerbombed through a table.

And God did I love that powerbomb.

yea that was pretty sweet

Chavo Classic
02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd say the best build up for a storyline was Wrestlemania 17, with Rock and Austin. The story of that match was absolutely brilliant. The story was basically who wanted the title more, and the match was one of the best Wrestlemania main events in recent years.

and they threw Debrah in for some reason, she was the Rock's "new manager". She got hurt at ringside and Austin blamed Rock. It lasted all of about 2 weeks and was NEVER TALKED OF AGAIN.

DaveWadding
02-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Hogan/Savage. COME ON.

Savio
02-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I liked the build up of Lesnar/Angle.

Gone Mad
02-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Jericho/HBK. My hero vs. the HeartBreak.

The current Batista story was great too. I was going crazy just looking at HHH dead there in the small chunks of table, and it helps due to the long build-up.

And finally, Bret v. Owen, my two favs at the time fueding it out and man, I loved every minute of it but I still wish I had more of those matches now.

Ruien
02-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Hogan/Savage. COME ON.