PDA

View Full Version : So looking back: EVOLUTION

Loose Cannon
03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Well it looks like Evolution is finished. The stable had a great run and lasted a long time, 2002-2005. They picked up the tag titles, the IC Title and the World Title along the way. Randy Orton and Batista, two up and comers looking for a break, became rising stars in the stable and one will headline Wrestlemania for the World Title and another will take on a legend.

So how would you rate Evolution among the greatest stables in wrestling history and post your favorite memory of them

To me, they did a fantastic job wth them. Didn't hurt to have god in the group though. Personally, I thought they were the best stable since DX. Nice solid unit that had a story behind them. The booking of Orton with the IC Title will always be remembered by me as one of the greatest reigns in history. The stuff with Eugene was hillarious. All the beatdowns on Foley and Rock :love:

My two favorite moments of the stable:

1) The Batista turn. Greatest built up angle in a long long time

2) Orton giving Foley the RKO at Mania out of nowhere. I totally marked out like a little kid with that.

Justdisturbed
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
i think it was good to have two old heads helping out the young blood - i dont think we have seen last of evolution however. im just glad they werent another 'right to censor'

Savio
03-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I liked how orton was such a fighting champ with his IC title :shifty:

Shaggy
03-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I also marked out like crazy when he hit the RKO on Foley at mania.....sad part is that im a huge Foley mark.

It was funny because we had people over and when Orton hit the RKO I jumped up and went "YESSSSSSSSS....Wait what the hell am I doing...NOOOOOOO"

PullMyFinger
03-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Evolution is nothing when compared to DX and nWo in my opinion. Evolution got boring way too fast...sometimes I didn't even know what month I was on since it was the same stuff.

Orton definitely made his name in that stable though, and his IC title reign was great.

James Steele
03-04-2005, 11:34 PM
I think Evolution got done what exactly it wanted to do. Evolution helped take 2 pissed on rookies (Orton on SD! was a joke & anyone remember Deacon Bautista?) and made them into major players (especially Batista).

I do however think that Evolution will not go down as one of the greatest stables EVER, but they had awesome theme music and were relatively entertaining.

Sepholio
03-05-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't know really, I don't think we have seen the end of Evolution yet.

Savio
03-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Every one in the stable will hold the world title though.....even Eugene.

Nervous Ferret
03-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Wils'n! B00biesz!

John la Rock
03-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Evolution was an awesome group. Props to HHH and Flair for making stars out of Orton and Batista

Favorite Evolution moment was the Street Fight between Orton and Foley at Backlash

Funky Fly
03-05-2005, 02:59 AM
I can't shake the feeling that Batista is going to be jumped by 1-3 guys on Monday, thus forming the new and improved Evolution. Christian would be a good fit. Who else?

Doink
03-05-2005, 05:46 AM
I can't shake the feeling that Batista is going to be jumped by 1-3 guys on Monday, thus forming the new and improved Evolution. Christian would be a good fit. Who else?

you could take tyson tonko with that aswell, however i think they should take luther reins from SD as the new member of evolution

Funky Fly
03-05-2005, 06:04 AM
But he is a neanderthal. That would be like reverse evolution.

John la Rock
03-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I personally liked Evolution best when it was the 3 Man group:

The Present - Triple H
The Past - Ric Flair (WOOOOOOOOO)
The Future - Randy Orton

Fignuts
03-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Christian seems like he works better on his own. He wouldn't be as cool if he were taking orders as opposed to giving them.

"Tomko, give me a beat."

I think Chris Masters is a very likely addition. He has the look and attitude to fit Evolution. No he hasn't impressed much in the ring, but with Flair and trips to coach him, he could get much better.

tucsonspeed6
03-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Christian seems like he works better on his own. He wouldn't be as cool if he were taking orders as opposed to giving them.

"Tomko, give me a beat."

I think Chris Masters is a very likely addition. He has the look and attitude to fit Evolution. No he hasn't impressed much in the ring, but with Flair and trips to coach him, he could get much better.

I think so too, but I will never accept him as a real wrestler until he gives me a formal appology for breaking Steven's nose.

James Steele
03-05-2005, 02:49 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tucsonspeed6 again.

tucsonspeed6
03-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Seriously, I think I need to talk to NoJabba about making my avatar with the nose a bit off.....

Fox
03-06-2005, 01:43 PM
nWo original > Evolution

nWo Wolfpack > Evolution

nWo Silver/Black < Evolution

Original DX (HBK, HHH, Chyna) < Evolution
DX 2 (HHH, NAO, X-Pac, Chyna) > Evolution

The Corporation > Evolution

The Ministry < Evolution

The Corportate/Ministry > Evolution

RTC < Evolution
The Alliance < Evolution
The UnAmericans < Evolution

The Cabinet < Evolution

The CyNick
03-06-2005, 01:53 PM
They were a really good faction, I dont know where you rate them all time, obviously not as good as The Horsemen, NWO or DX, and probably not as good as the Harts, but fun to watch nonetheless. Flair really made the group work for me.

My fav moment for me was the turn on Orton. Even though it was a bad move for business, it was still one of the great "set ups" in wrestling history. The looks on Hunter and Randy's faces were priceless. I actually liked this more than the Batista turn on Hunter.

Of course this all sounds like Evo is dead. I made a post before about how I dont think this should be the end of the group. Instead I'd like to see them lay low for a while, and then come back in the Fall as part of Orton's eventual heel turn. I want to see Hunter have an Evolution faction on RAW and Orton head up another on SD, and then have both guys win their World Titles, making Hunter's dream of having Evo "run the industry" come true.

VJW
03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
I liked Evolution a lot since I thought they were very entertaining at times. It was kind of cool though since I had written a get well Randy letter a few months before they got together and beat down Scott Steiner after The Rumble that said that I would've loved to see Orton and HHH together since they were my favorite wrestlers. It was like a dream come true for me back then.

MVP
03-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Evolution did something that a lot of stables don't: it created superstars out of Randy Orton and Batista, and maintained its star power throughout its tenure. I think the only disadvantage was it kept HHH in the main event spotlight for so long, but then again he contributed to Orton's and Batista's (cross your fingers) success. That's more than what you can say about most stables.

The CyNick
03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
At the same time, HHH prevented Orton from going further as a top guy, and has hurt his main event push. Its like most pushes in the WWE, guys will help you get to a certain level, but few will allow you to pass them.

I-Hate-You
03-06-2005, 03:07 PM
I liked how orton was such a fighting champ with his IC title :shifty:
:rofl:

And for that, you get rep.

Blue Demon
03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
The Evolution is a mysteryyyyy...

MVP
03-06-2005, 04:00 PM
At the same time, HHH prevented Orton from going further as a top guy, and has hurt his main event push. Its like most pushes in the WWE, guys will help you get to a certain level, but few will allow you to pass them.Yeah, but technically that was when Orton was out of Evo. :p

But I know what you're saying. At least Orton had that chance to be made while he was a heel in Evo. Now he's just another face that fell beneath the glass ceiling. Hopefully WWE does the smart thing and move him to SD as their next top heel.

The Answer
03-07-2005, 08:36 AM
That is a double negative title you got their Loose.

Anyway Evolution was pretty cool and they had their moments.It fell apart when Orton turned face and unless they some how add another member it is dead

Chavo Classic
03-07-2005, 09:06 AM
The best way to kick-start Evolution again would be to capture a big name member, maybe someone who isn't doing a lot at the moment. Someone who could be doing better. Someone who's been at the top and could handle roughing it up with the big dons.

That man.... Chris Benoit.

Perfect heel turn.

Dave Youell
03-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Evolution isn't going anywhere

Chris Master = Batista
Maven = Orton (well charisma wise anyway)

Replace them with these 2 and do exactlly the same thing and make them major players

Chavo Classic
03-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Evolution isn't going anywhere

Chris Master = Batista
Maven = Orton (well charisma wise anyway)

Replace them with these 2 and do exactlly the same thing and make them major players

That's the thing - Doing exactly the same thing isn't going to work. Evolution by name is going to have to be evolution by nature and evolve into a different type of stable. Bringing in established stars like Benoit, Jericho or even Rhyno would give it the instant heat needed and a new lease of life with a new goal. A re-hash isn't the way forward.

Kane Knight
03-07-2005, 10:44 AM
You guys crack me up, and here's part of the reason why:

At the same time, HHH prevented Orton from going further as a top guy, and has hurt his main event push. Its like most pushes in the WWE, guys will help you get to a certain level, but few will allow you to pass them.
People are all like "Props to Flair and Trips for doing something good with Batista and Orton," Ignoring the fact that they didn't really DO much except cement their own main event time. Main event time which could have actually pushed Orton, instead of killing it every ten minutes. For that matter, putting the tag strap on someone other tha Flair.

Chavo Classic
03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
People are all like "Props to Flair and Trips for doing something good with Batista and Orton," Ignoring the fact that they didn't really DO much except cement their own main event time. Main event time which could have actually pushed Orton, instead of killing it every ten minutes. For that matter, putting the tag strap on someone other tha Flair.

I can see where you're coming from, but do you think Orton would have been anywhere near the main-event without the association to Triple H? Putting him next to the Game in a stable by-passed years of trying to solidify him as a true competitor.

Fair play, HHH DID cement his own position at the same time, because naturally, putting Orton over placed HHH in a greater position to put himself over. (Foley described this better in his book when talking about Sting and himself).

Kane Knight
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I can see where you're coming from, but do you think Orton would have been anywhere near the main-event without the association to Triple H? Putting him next to the Game in a stable by-passed years of trying to solidify him as a true competitor.

Fair play, HHH DID cement his own position at the same time, because naturally, putting Orton over placed HHH in a greater position to put himself over. (Foley described this better in his book when talking about Sting and himself).
Putting him a stable bypassed it. It didn't have to be Triple H and Flair, or anyone else. Most of the push was oriented towards Orton as the Legend Killer, making his teammates almost incidental.

Let's not pretend being under Trips' wing is what did this.

Chavo Classic
03-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Putting him a stable bypassed it. It didn't have to be Triple H and Flair, or anyone else. Most of the push was oriented towards Orton as the Legend Killer, making his teammates almost incidental.

Let's not pretend being under Trips' wing is what did this.

Exactly, but the nature of the stable also helped. Being in a stable with HHH is bound to do more for your status and credibility than any other alternative stable of the last 4 years. Is it even possible to compare Orton and OJ? Both of whom seem to be/have been the focus of very similar plans from their respective writing teams.

nWo 4 Life
03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Personally, I think Evolution ranks number 4 in all-time great stables.

1. DX. You never knew what was going to happen. The WCW invasion, Shawn blowing his nose on the Canadian Flag, the Nation of Impersonation? You see them coming?

2. nWo. A truly awesome team which took the biggest icon ever in wrestling, teamed up with Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan (just kidding, Kevin Nash) who weren't really doing too well in their supposed invasion of WCW from WWF. Then everyone was on nWo's hit-list.

3. The 4 Horsemen. The first true stable. A revolutionary group of legends, and some damn entertaining stuff.

4. Evolution. A revolutionary group of a different kind. The team symbolised the evolution of the business (to be fair, I think Triple H should have been the past, Ric Flair the Primortial ooze, Christian the present and RKO and Batista as the future) which helped create 2 new genuine stars and help give us some new feuds and a break from Triple H vs Shawn Michels.

PullMyFinger
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I personally, don't see how someone would even want Evolution sticking around...considering they were beginning to be stale. If Evolution does stick around, then WWE is making the same mistakes WCW was making with nWo. Initially, Evolution was cool, but I'd have to say that about 2-3 years later, it got boring fast. Sometimes I wouldn't even know what month it was on WWE b/c it was the same thing...Evolution beats down so and so, Triple H still holds the title, Evolution owns Raw, etc etc etc. I'm glad Evolution is done for, and I don't want to see Triple H in the main event slot anytime soon (which won't happen b/c Triple H will be main eventing forever).

Just John
03-07-2005, 12:53 PM
evolution had a great recipe for success
the powerhouse-batista
the up and comer-randy orton
the legend-ric flair
the game-triple h

Kane Knight
03-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Exactly, but the nature of the stable also helped. Being in a stable with HHH is bound to do more for your status and credibility than any other alternative stable of the last 4 years. Is it even possible to compare Orton and OJ? Both of whom seem to be/have been the focus of very similar plans from their respective writing teams.
Yes. OJ and Orton have been given such a similar deal. :|

Basically, your argument is this: If you let your friend drive drunk across the country, and he gets your car there in one piece, it was a smart move, rather than a lucky break.

You're comparing Evolution to the Cabinet? Sorry, I can't buy that. The reason people can't really be elevated in JBL's cabinet is the overall lack of interest. A guy who's actually WORSE off than Triple H. IS that your argument? Would these folks have benefitted from the same pushes differently had only the head of their "stable" changed?

No. Orton was benefitted by a good push, strong wins, and some choice moments. OJ has been elevated more by being a younger black version of the NAture Boy...Buttmonkey to the champ.

Chavo Classic
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Yes. OJ and Orton have been given such a similar deal. :|

Basically, your argument is this: If you let your friend drive drunk across the country, and he gets your car there in one piece, it was a smart move, rather than a lucky break.

You're comparing Evolution to the Cabinet? Sorry, I can't buy that. The reason people can't really be elevated in JBL's cabinet is the overall lack of interest. A guy who's actually WORSE off than Triple H. IS that your argument? Would these folks have benefitted from the same pushes differently had only the head of their "stable" changed?

No. Orton was benefitted by a good push, strong wins, and some choice moments. OJ has been elevated more by being a younger black version of the NAture Boy...Buttmonkey to the champ.

Eh? Orlando drove who where now?

Although it's become clouded along the way, my point is that Orton is years ahead of where he would be now if he wasn't in that particular stable headed up by HHH.

Granted, there are reasons why OJ will never be as accepted or over as Orton. He lacks the look, he wrestles for an inferior brand, he doesn't have the family history, he's from a minoirity, whatever. The fact that I believe Orton is better over from being in a stable lead by HHH, and that being in any other stable lead by anyone else (whether JBL, Angle or whomever) wouldn't have helped his career half as much.

Besdies, Orton would never have been in a position to get those 'strong wins' if he wasn't in HHH's gang.