PDA

View Full Version : DS or PSP?

Cool King
03-10-2005, 05:31 AM
What would you rather have,a DS or PSP?

I would like to have a PSP because it looks better,it's smaller and probably lighter plus it has better games and for other reasons.

Funky Fly
03-10-2005, 05:44 AM
The DS is pretty tiny. If the PSP is smaller, it must be the size of a wrist watch or something.

Funky Fly
03-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Also, there is a reason that the Gameboy has dominated the market for so long, despite many of its competitors being betters systems (eg. the Wonderswan).

Think about it...

Vietnamese Crippler
03-10-2005, 06:00 AM
I haven't even touched a PSP yet, so I can't make a final decision

Tornado
03-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I have played a PSP, and I have a DS, they both have their merits. The DS is original, and the addition of the touch screen will add a lot to games. The PSP is very pretty, amazing graphics, and it looks much more sleaker and new than the DS. But the the disc tray for the PSP looks incredibly flimsy, and it worries me. Once I get a PSP i'll be able to decide which I like better, until then, it's too close to tell.

SuperSlim
03-10-2005, 08:08 AM
well I've played a DS for a little while, and I've read up on PSP and all that stuff. And well I want to try a PSP before I'm definite but as of right now I'm standin on PSP > DS

Mike the Metal Ed
03-10-2005, 08:41 AM
The PSP is too ahead of its time, the battery life and power of the system (such as if it will suffer slowdown when there's a lot on the screen) will be a big factor.

DS wins.

Y2Ant
03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Nintendo 4 lyf

SuperSlim
03-10-2005, 08:51 AM
The PSP is too ahead of its time, the battery life and power of the system (such as if it will suffer slowdown when there's a lot on the screen) will be a big factor.

DS wins.

that when you overstock your batteries

Boomer
03-10-2005, 08:53 AM
The DS (to me) seems just like this not-as-important side project of Nintendo's while the PSP seems like something that could be bigger and better. If all these rumors about Nintendo bringing out another handheld gaming system sometime soon are true, the DS will lose a bit of its flame. They are still both quite amazing though.

DS
03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Although the DS has it's name going for it, I'd have to go with the PSP. I could really care less about a second screen and the PSP just looks beautiful.

Kane Knight
03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Also, there is a reason that the Gameboy has dominated the market for so long, despite many of its competitors being betters systems (eg. the Wonderswan).

Think about it...
The Nintendo Portables have outlasted better technology because superior technology isn't always superior for a portable. Mostly because people like, you know, battery life. Silly stuff like that. People wanting to be able to play the games. I'll take the 5X battery life of a DS, backwards compatability, and the cool ass two screen action. :D

BTW, the size issue is just fucking retarded.

Disturbed316
03-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I have a DS and love it. I want a handheld that focuses on games, not movies/mp3's/alltheotherbollocksthePSPhas.

So, I choose the DS.

Kane Knight
03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a DS and love it. I want a handheld that focuses on games, not movies/mp3's/alltheotherbollocksthePSPhas.

So, I choose the DS.
There is, evidently, an adapter to play MP3s available in Japan.

Still, I agree. I want a game system. I'm still waiting for th ePSP to come out with a remote.

Requiem
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I'd say PSP, after seeing one at EB with DS.

The Destroyer
03-10-2005, 03:09 PM
The DS (to me) seems just like this not-as-important side project of Nintendo's
It probably is, there's still life in the GBA.

I've not played a PSP or even seen much about it, but I had a quick go on a DS and it seemed fun. It was only a demo of Wario Ware though, hard to get a good overall of it. Touch screen and stylus seemed to work well though.

Tornado
03-10-2005, 03:11 PM
There is, evidently, an adapter to play MP3s available in Japan.

There is, I have it. I can use my DS like an MP3 player, and I watch episodes of The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park on it when I'm doing midnight shifts at work.

Fryza
03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't like either, but I hate all that is DS.

DS
03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
You cut me deep. :'(

Bad Company
03-10-2005, 05:50 PM
PSP

Nintendo shit is like Macs to the PC world.

McDoogle
03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
PSP..

AareDub
03-10-2005, 07:05 PM

So, I choose the DS.

I'm in the opposite category. If I ever have time to play a game it's when I'm at home... might as well play the console. For me to buy a handheld (got PSP reserved) it has to play mp3s, show photos, and do everything else as well.

Kane Knight
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
PSP

Nintendo shit is like Macs to the PC world.
Infinitely superior?

Kane Knight
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm in the opposite category. If I ever have time to play a game it's when I'm at home... might as well play the console. For me to buy a handheld (got PSP reserved) it has to play mp3s, show photos, and do everything else as well.
Wait. So you can't play a system that doesn't have an MP3 player unless you're playing it at home?

:?:

That makes no sense, especially with how weak the battery lifespan on a PSP is.

Bad Company
03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Infinitely superior?
Designed for kids and people who are idiots.

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Designed for kids and people who are idiots.
Cute, but moronic.

Tornado
03-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Picked up my copy of Wario Ware Touched! last night, and it's awesome. Can't see anything on the PSP being this original and fun.

Bad Company
03-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Cute, but moronic.
Opinion only.
I know more than you though.

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Opinion only.
I know more than you though.
Yeah, only children and idiots would want a stable operating system, easier accessability, and all that gay shit.

:lol: Nice and educated there.

Next tell us how only an idiot would prefer a cell phone to tin can and string phones for long distance phone calls.

McDoogle
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Wait how DS a more stable operating system and easier to access? Im not being sarcastic, im just inquiring.

DS
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
It's not. Some people are just scared that Sony will actually give Nintendo a run for it's money now like they did with the PlayStation. This is good for the gaming industry as a whole, people are just looking at it through fanboy perspectives.

The Destroyer
03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
You can't deny the PSP is potentially flawed though. Just have to wait and see if it delivers in the end...

Also, I didn't even know the GBA was backward compatible with GBA games until around 5 minutes ago. :o

McDoogle
03-11-2005, 02:33 PM
How is the PSP potentially flawed? Wheres the links for this shit?

Tornado
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
How is the PSP potentially flawed? Wheres the links for this shit?
The disc tray is pretty flimsy, it's very shiny, so it will pick up fingerprints like nothing, and, as the square button is so close to the screen, they had to offset the pressure pad for it to the right, so it can be a bit unresponsive.

The Destroyer
03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Not to mention the fact I've seen questions raised over how fast it guzzles the batteries.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-11-2005, 04:10 PM
So far, the DS has had far more play, but the PSP only has a couple of hot games so far in Ridge Racer and Lumines and the only game I'm looking forward to is Wipeout.

As for the DS, been playing Wario Ware, Mario 64 and Project Rub. So far I've loved them all and I just can't wait until Animal Crossing online and Mario Kart online.

If you havn't seen it yet, DS will be online as long as you're in any wi-fi hot-spot area. How hot is that? PSP online plans havn't been fully revealed yet, but there already is tunnel software for any multi-player game to be played through a wi-fi PC

Tornado
03-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Also, adding on the sqaure button problem, I was reading an article in a games mag a few weeks ago, and some guy from Sony said that players and developers would have to adapt to the problem. I'm sorry, but bollocks to that, they expect us to pay for a system then adapt to one of it's flaws? It's really put me off getting one.

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
You can't deny the PSP is potentially flawed though. Just have to wait and see if it delivers in the end...

Also, I didn't even know the GBA was backward compatible with GBA games until around 5 minutes ago. :o
You can play GBA games on a GBA? :eek:

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 07:38 PM
The disc tray is pretty flimsy, it's very shiny, so it will pick up fingerprints like nothing, and, as the square button is so close to the screen, they had to offset the pressure pad for it to the right, so it can be a bit unresponsive.
Further, there's been a fairly common (Considering the huge run of the PSP) issue with the screen being all fucky. Air bubbles, dead pixels, shit like that.

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 07:39 PM
So far, the DS has had far more play, but the PSP only has a couple of hot games so far in Ridge Racer and Lumines and the only game I'm looking forward to is Wipeout.

As for the DS, been playing Wario Ware, Mario 64 and Project Rub. So far I've loved them all and I just can't wait until Animal Crossing online and Mario Kart online.

If you havn't seen it yet, DS will be online as long as you're in any wi-fi hot-spot area. How hot is that? PSP online plans havn't been fully revealed yet, but there already is tunnel software for any multi-player game to be played through a wi-fi PC
Hmmm...My library has WiFi points. Iwouldn't even need to modify my home setup. Just sit outside and play online. :D

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Also, adding on the sqaure button problem, I was reading an article in a games mag a few weeks ago, and some guy from Sony said that players and developers would have to adapt to the problem. I'm sorry, but bollocks to that, they expect us to pay for a system then adapt to one of it's flaws? It's really put me off getting one.
Well, it's worked for Microsoft.

The Destroyer
03-11-2005, 08:27 PM
You can play GBA games on a GBA? :eek:
It was a relevation to me too. :(

i.e. die typos

V
03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
DS is fucking amazing... anyone who has played the extra mini games loaded into mario 64 will realize how much they can do with the touch screen. These simple mini games would suck without it, and they are just a small glimpse of what they will be able to make.

PSP's battery life is 3 hours from what i hear, that is ridiculous. If you want to watch movies and listen to music go buy a psp, if you want to play video games buy a DS.

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 08:44 PM
It was a relevation to me too. :(

i.e. die typos
Yeah, I was just poking fun. I http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/love.gif u

Kane Knight
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
DS is fucking amazing... anyone who has played the extra mini games loaded into mario 64 will realize how much they can do with the touch screen. These simple mini games would suck without it, and they are just a small glimpse of what they will be able to make.

PSP's battery life is 3 hours from what i hear, that is ridiculous. If you want to watch movies and listen to music go buy a psp, if you want to play video games buy a DS.
You know, it's prolly cheaper to buy a portable DVDplayer that plays MP3 discs/Audio CDs, nad you don't even have to stick to a pain in the ass proprietary format.

King Jericho
03-12-2005, 05:27 AM
Nintendo 4 lyf

What Ant said.

King Jericho
03-12-2005, 05:29 AM
I found this article on the net, and its pretty much how I feel, I cant find te link again though, anyways its long but proves DS = mad better.

----

HEAD TO FUCKING HEAD

Iwata, the president of Nintendo, said that the days where better graphics power alone were a significant advancement in video games were over.

He is right.

That being said both the PSP and the DS have significantly more graphics power than the GBA. The PSP does beat the DS in this category, but that will not be the deciding factor in the systems popularity.

Below is listed the attributes that I feel will be important in the race between these two systems, and some of the things I don't. You make the call.

Head to head comparison:

Item 1: Durability

Believe it or not this is THE most important factor in portable gaming. It is one thing to have a console that doesn't leave the table, it is quite another to have one that you risk dropping it every time you play it.

DS: Solid state media. In other words, cartridges. Clamshell design that protects both screens and most of the buttons. Did I mention SOLID STATE MEDIA? Oh yeah, it's right there at the beginning.

PSP: Optical Disc. This means that the entire function of the machine is dependant on the alignment of ONE laser. When playing the screen will be exposed on both systems, but with the PSP you better not lose that case.

Winner? NINTENDO DS.

The entire Game Boy line has had rock solid durability records. The PSP might break over time with mere use and transport because of that laser.

Item 2: Battery Life

This is a close second to durability, and is much more important in the early sales period. While no one wants a lemon, it usually takes a month or so to learn if something is.

DS: 10 hours per charge

PSP: 2.5 hours per charge for video or games.

Winner? NINTENDO DS by a landslide.

You forgot to charge your PSP before your trip? That's a very expensive paperweight. 10 hours of playtime is at least a full day for any but the most hardcore of gamers, and even they would rarely use more than that in an average day. 2.5 hours is not long enough to play some movies that Sony might sell.

Item 3: Time of release

I thought this would be less of an important factor until the PS2 release. I thought that price would eventually be more important. Not the case.

DS: late 2004 in Japan and the US

PSP: late 2004 in Japan, Q1 2005 in the US

Winner? NINTENDO DS

The DS will release about 4 months ahead of the PSP in the US, and puts the US on the same priority as Japan for the first time. This will improve PR immensely in the states. The PSP on the other hand... expect one further delay. They have recently changed hardware because 8MB RAM wasn't enough, Sony is RUSHING.

Item 4: Price

Self-explanatory why this would be important.

DS: projected $150, and only game purchase necessary to play.

PSP: projected $250, will need to buy a memory stick (roughly $25-$75 depending on size), and will more than likely need an additional battery pack (I estimate $75), then the game purchase. So about $350 ready for game.\

Winner? NINTENDO DS

It isn't close. PSP will likely cost twice as much or more to buy the machine and make it playable.

Item 5: Coolness

Apparently some people are to hip to be seen using certain things. I think it is a bunch of crap, but enough people consider every device they carry around a fashion accessory to make this important.

DS: Will look a lot cooler than the original GBA, but Nintendo has a reputation of "Children's games" whether it is deserved or not.

PSP: To gamers, Sony is the Sultan of Cool. That won't change in the near future.

Winner? PSP

Sony cares about image much more than Nintendo does even now. Sony will win some users for that.

Item 6: Versatility

What can this thing do?

DS: Two screens with one touch sensitive that can be used in tandem with the digital joystick. 6 traditional buttons. Wi-Fi and Proprietary Short distance wireless. Supports up to 16 multiplayer with the local wireless connection. Plays DS, GBA, and GB games, and game info can be given to a DS without the game inserted if the developer chooses to do so. Has a microphone input.

PSP: Compatibility with UMD (that little disc thing) only so far. Can connect to TV to play movies. Has only one screen that is larger than either DS screen (but not both combined). Digital and analog joysticks, not usable in tandem. 6 traditional buttons. Can play music, and can connect to computer. Believed that Wi-Fi and infrared connection will accompany launch.

Winner? NINTENDO DS

Nintendo has the only system that will allow 2 methods of motion at the same time. This alone will win it. It is likely that the PSP will have roughly the same wireless, but that remains to be seen. PSP will be able to play music and movies, but that can be implemented if necessary. DS has so much more potential as a gaming system.

Item 7: Developer Support

Who will be making the games?

DS: "100 Developers" (this includes Nintendo, of course)

PSP: "99 Developers" (this includes Sony, of course)

Winner? NINTENDO DS

The one more claimed developer is not important, third-party support appears strong for both. The DS has Nintendo. That is what wins. Not only is Nintendo one of the most prolific developers, it is also simply the best. Sony makes very few good in-house games. Edge to Nintendo for having the good fortune of being themselves.

Item 8: Graphics Power

It will matter to some how many polygons can be rendered at once, even if you can't see them all.

DS: "Better than N64"

PSP: "Slightly less than PS2"

Winner? Probably PSP

No one has given exact specs in this area. Nintendo doesn't think it matters. Sony I think doesn't know yet and they were burned by the PS2 shipping at less than they claimed it would. Still it is generally thought that the PSP will have better graphics, but it is unclear how much better, because there is no actual game software at E3.

Item 9: Reputation

Will you support the investment I make?

DS: Nintendo has fully supported every console they've ever made, except the Virtual Boy which I consider more of a concept piece than a full fledged console. You are guaranteed quality games from Nintendo at the very least, even if the system isn't an immediate success. Since the SNES all of Nintendo's home consoles have sold less than the competition.

PSP: This company is used to leading the market it's in. It is unclear how it would handle itself if it isn't the leader.

Winner? NINTENDO DS

Nintendo has the best support reputation in the business. Sony is not necessarily worse, but the question can't be answered.

CONCLUSION, BITCH!

Look at the comparison. The DS wins almost every one. I didn't talk about the release titles, because no one knows what they will be. But barring the worst launch titles in history, the DS will murder the PSP.

End of fucking story. BITE IT, SONY! SUCK MY ASS

Cool King
03-12-2005, 07:04 AM
With what all of you guys are saying,you are making me change my decision about the PSP so I might want a DS after all so basically what do you think I should get a PSP of DS?

Kane Knight
03-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Item 7: Developer Support

Who will be making the games?

DS: "100 Developers" (this includes Nintendo, of course)

PSP: "99 Developers" (this includes Sony, of course)

Winner? NINTENDO DS

The one more claimed developer is not important, third-party support appears strong for both. The DS has Nintendo. That is what wins. Not only is Nintendo one of the most prolific developers, it is also simply the best. Sony makes very few good in-house games. Edge to Nintendo for having the good fortune of being themselves.
:lol:

Which is why there are so many quality Gamecube games out,.

Kane Knight
03-12-2005, 09:29 AM
With what all of you guys are saying,you are making me change my decision about the PSP so I might want a DS after all so basically what do you think I should get a PSP of DS?
I think you should get what YOU want, based upon the features available, the games you want, etc.

DS
03-12-2005, 09:58 AM
I cant find te link again though.
http://www.nintendo.com

Kane Knight
03-12-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.nintendo.com
Yup. The only way something could praise a Nintendo system is if it came from Nintendo's official site.

DS
03-12-2005, 11:02 AM
I hope you don't really believe that.

Kane Knight
03-12-2005, 11:56 AM
I hope you don't really believe that.
Of course I do. Nintendo=losers. Nobody likes them.
You fucking moron.

V
03-12-2005, 01:13 PM
one thing in that article is wrong, DS can't play GB games. Only GBA.

Disturbed316
03-12-2005, 03:47 PM
That looks like it was from IGN.

Kane Knight
03-12-2005, 04:40 PM
one thing in that article is wrong, DS can't play GB games. Only GBA.
It's wrong on a couple things:

First off, the days of hot graphics are over. No, not really. Will all the fanboys jerking off over the graphics of the latest PSP screenshots, it's not over. It has, however, diminished. The problem is, one gimmick dies, another one takes its place.

Take, for example, Online. Over the last couple of years, the game developers have proved that you can take any piece of shit game, slap an online feature on it, and resell it as a hit. As long as you have some such trick up your sleeve, you can substitute it for quality. You can rehash, rip off, and strip down games, and people will cream themselves over your half-assed online play.

If I could figure out how to shit in a box and make it online compatible, I'd be a fucking billionaire.

Next, there's fucking support. Okay, where are the launch titles for the Nintendo DS? Why are there so few decent games coming out for the GCN that aren't ports. I'd like an answer to either of these, preferbly both.

A big part of support to me is "launch support." It seperates commitment from the bullshit, and frankly I think the PS2 had a better launch lineup. And that ain't saying much. I don't think Sony's gonna do much better, mind, but that's not the fucking point. If you're going to tout support, make sure you're not bragging falsely.

Lastly, time of release? WHAT FUCKING DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE! ike people aren't rabidly trying to snatch up the PSP.

All in all though, it's largely right. Solid State is a better move for a portable system, because *GASP* IT's harder to fuck up than an optical drive. And if the PS2 crapped out fast, imagine what a couple accidental whacks could do to this baby. Even the touch screen, with damage potential, is probably a safer bet.

Battery life? You damn right it's a big deal. People actually want to PLAY games. If they could even give 6-8 hours it'd be great (More than I'd play it in 2 or 3 days, I'm sure), but they didn't. Of all the corners to cut, it was this one.

Memory sticks really fuck shit up. Plus, they only have a small amount of space for the affordable ones.

King Jericho
03-13-2005, 03:24 PM
:lol:

Which is why there are so many quality Gamecube games out,.

It's talking about the DS here not the Gamecube, it's far easier to create and have the money to produce games for the DS than it would be for the Gamecube.

And Nintendo in-house games are the best games around, and have been for years.

King Jericho
03-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Yup. The only way something could praise a Nintendo system is if it came from Nintendo's official site.

It didn't come from the Nintendo site, with all the swearing it's bound not to.

King Jericho
03-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Next, there's fucking support. Okay, where are the launch titles for the Nintendo DS? Why are there so few decent games coming out for the GCN that aren't ports. I'd like an answer to either of these, preferbly both.

DS Launch titles:
There's about ten launch titles granted, and some are a bit gay, but Nintendo have been very secretive about the DS only until a year ago, not even telling alot of developers about the DS, this is why there aren't many launch titles. Nintendo only told like 4 developers about the DS along time before anyone else did: EA, Capcom and maybe Ubi-Soft if I recall but cant remember the others by memory.

Also I think Nintendo may have not released many hit launch titles because of the newness of the technology in the DS, because of the touch/dual screen, and don't go 'Fucking lies, you'd be a moron not to be able to us it blah blah blah' cos many people that have first played my DS have found it a little getting used too. The Launch titles are a good way to introduce people to the DS and how to interact with it.

And yes I admit very few good games for the Gamecube are coming out right now, but there are a few not long been around or on the way: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is immensly awesome, RE4 just hit the shelves in Europe, Star Fox is nearly out and the biggest game for a long time Zelda GNC is on the way for the end of the year. Everything's just being overlooked.

Ports, what ports?

#BROKEN Hasney
03-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Memory sticks really fuck shit up. Plus, they only have a small amount of space for the affordable ones.
The memory stick is alright on PSP for 2 reasons:

1) You get a 32mb one in the box

2) You can back up your save games to a PC or Mac though USB. Given the battery life you'd only need 2 save games at a time before you have to go home and charge it up anyways

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 09:33 AM
And yes I admit very few good games for the Gamecube are coming out right now, but there are a few not long been around or on the way: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is immensly awesome, RE4 just hit the shelves in Europe, Star Fox is nearly out and the biggest game for a long time Zelda GNC is on the way for the end of the year. Everything's just being overlooked.

Capcom have supposedly made a bit of an arse of Starfox based on the reviews I've seen of it. 70% ballpark ones.

In the other news, the release of the PSP in Europe has been postponed for a vague "several months". Amazon have it marked down for release at the end of the June. Stupid move by Sony if you ask me, especially since America is still going to get the console on time.

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
The memory stick is alright on PSP for 2 reasons:

1) You get a 32mb one in the box

2) You can back up your save games to a PC or Mac though USB. Given the battery life you'd only need 2 save games at a time before you have to go home and charge it up anyways
1) Really, the folks at Gamestop EXPLICITY told me you didn't. Not doubting you...

2) Which is alright, yes, but nothing great.

Tornado
03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
You get a 32MB Card/Stick with the PSP Value Pack, not the standard console.

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM
It's talking about the DS here not the Gamecube, it's far easier to create and have the money to produce games for the DS than it would be for the Gamecube.

And Nintendo in-house games are the best games around, and have been for years.
It's talking about the Nintendo-based record of sales and support. Come on, Jericho, are you literate? It specifically brings up Nintendo's TRACK RECORD, which includes the GCN and all previous systems.

It didn't come from the Nintendo site, with all the swearing it's bound not to.
Yeah, I suppose the intense sarcasm was hard to pick up on. Especially with all the other posts I've made supporting the DS...

DS Launch titles:
There's about ten launch titles granted, and some are a bit gay, but Nintendo have been very secretive about the DS only until a year ago, not even telling alot of developers about the DS, this is why there aren't many launch titles. Nintendo only told like 4 developers about the DS along time before anyone else did: EA, Capcom and maybe Ubi-Soft if I recall but cant remember the others by memory.
That's called bad marketing.

Also I think Nintendo may have not released many hit launch titles because of the newness of the technology in the DS, because of the touch/dual screen, and don't go 'Fucking lies, you'd be a moron not to be able to us it blah blah blah' cos many people that have first played my DS have found it a little getting used too. The Launch titles are a good way to introduce people to the DS and how to interact with it.
If they wanted to do that, they should have made a demo disc.

In terms of the "newness of the technology." Please, that doesn't make the lameness of the launch itles (The lack of which will turn people against the system).

Not being overlooked.

Star Fox is being panned. Neither of the other two games are anything I'm interested in. Even then, 3 games, especially when MP2 and RE4 are basically identical to games you can get on a more popular system (OMG, but Metroid has the METROID LICENSE ITZ TEH ROXORZ)

Ports, what ports?
Yeah, I dunno. It's not like they carted Mario 64 DS from another system...Remind me again why it has "64" in the title?

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 10:24 AM
so it's not really buncled with the console...

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 11:37 AM
What exactly are Metroid Prime 2 and RE4 "basically identical" to? :?:

And here's a conspiracy theory for you, the European PSP launch has been delayed because Sony have siphoned off units for the US launch. Isn't it great living in the video game equivalent of the Third World?

#BROKEN Hasney
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought that only the value pack was going to be onsale in the usa.

For people in Europe right now though, a Sony exec has said that the psp is still "several months away"

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Well Amazon were listing an end of April release, now it's June 24th. Could still be guesswork though.

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
I thought that only the value pack was going to be onsale in the usa.
Not far as I can tell.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Not far as I can tell. I juat read about this now

The first one or two waves will be value pack only. Then they'll launch the stand-alone console later.

Also, Canadians only have one pack avaiable at launch. It will be 50 USD more and include all the value pack plus some Gretzky hockey game. That just seems lame if that is true. (Source for these is: http://psp.ign.com/articles/595/595977p1.html?fromint=1 )

EDIT: Also:

In Japan, a Standard System package was also released that included the PSP hardware, the AC adapter, and one battery pack. There are no current plans to release a similarly slimmed-down package for release outside of Japan.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513175p1.html#release

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Hockey? I guess Sony is into racial profiling now. :shifty:

Jonster
03-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Capcom have supposedly made a bit of an arse of Starfox based on the reviews I've seen of it. 70% ballpark ones.
Which is still above average. :|

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Which is still above average. :|
Still, that was in response to a statement that it was the best game in a long time...Despite being not released or anything...

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Indeed, especially considering it was hyped as being one of the big GC games of 2005.

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Indeed, especially considering it was hyped as being one of the big GC games of 2005.
Which tells you how bad this year's looking for The Gamecube.

Of course, part of the problem is that the games that get the hype are usually shit anyway. However, it strikes me as unlikely we're gonna see any sleeper hits on the GCN this year, least not enough to make a diff.

I'm sure a ton of fanboys will snatch it up based on the hype, but this bodes shit for the Gamecube. About the only games I can see myself getting are the next WWE game and maybe Zelda.

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 03:36 PM
All this assuming there's going to be another WWE game. There's certainly not been one announced.

Certainly a handful of forthcoming games that look good, but not very many.

Vietnamese Crippler
03-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Another WWE game is coming: Day of Reckoning 2

http://cube.ign.com/articles/594/594757p1.html

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
A nice vague Q4, which means we'll probably be lucky to see it this side of 2006.

Really wish they'd announce a finalised date for Geist and The Movies, both look rather interesting. Ditto Starcraft Ghost...

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
All this assuming there's going to be another WWE game. There's certainly not been one announced.

Certainly a handful of forthcoming games that look good, but not very many.
It's been announced. Details will be released WM weekend.

The Destroyer
03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Be nice if they could actually get things right this time round.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Which tells you how bad this year's looking for The Gamecube.

Of course, part of the problem is that the games that get the hype are usually shit anyway. However, it strikes me as unlikely we're gonna see any sleeper hits on the GCN this year, least not enough to make a diff.

I'm sure a ton of fanboys will snatch it up based on the hype, but this bodes shit for the Gamecube. About the only games I can see myself getting are the next WWE game and maybe Zelda.
True, but barring Zelda, I couldn't tell you one non-handheld console game I'd want this year. I guess we'll find out more at E3, but I think everyone will be gearing up for next gen this year

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
True, but barring Zelda, I couldn't tell you one non-handheld console game I'd want this year. I guess we'll find out more at E3, but I think everyone will be gearing up for next gen this year
Yeah, but even in terms of games that are expected to sell and the like, the PS2's got more out already than the Gamecube is anticipated to have all year.

And yeah, most people are gonna start switching gears. Still, the level of difference in games is a bit...CRAZY.

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
03-15-2005, 10:57 PM
PSP will be the first handheld I buy since Game Gear.

DS? Give me a break. That "Dual Screen" nonsense isn't an innovation, it's a novelty.

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 11:51 PM
:roll:

The Destroyer
03-16-2005, 04:06 AM
The fact you actually bought a Game Gear dilutes your views a little...

Kane Knight
03-16-2005, 10:15 AM
But it does explain why he's got such a hardon for a two hour battery life.

DS
03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
You can always buy extra batteries.

McDoogle
03-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Original game boy > game gear by a longgggg stretch.

Scarface
03-16-2005, 07:26 PM
DS seems pretty cool. Might get one when pokemon comes out. The other reason to get a DS is because it provides something I can't get to anywhere else (touch-screen games).

People will buy the PSP because its Sony, but I see no point in it. I have a PS2 which apparently displays better graphics anyway. I have a minidisk player that actually fits in my jean pocket without creating a huge buldge so thats that aspect covered and the battery lasts for more than a few hours. And as fun as portable films are, who doesnt own a TV in their room or have a PC with a dvd-rom to watch films on if they can't use the main TV to watch a film. The only time this might be useful is on a train or a bus. But you only get one viewing out of it before you're looking for a power outlet to charge your system. PSP needs an awesome game for it that I cant get anywhere else for me to get one.

Kane Knight
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
You can always buy extra batteries.
And?

Kane Knight
03-16-2005, 07:36 PM
DS seems pretty cool. Might get one when pokemon comes out. The other reason to get a DS is because it provides something I can't get to anywhere else (touch-screen games).

People will buy the PSP because its Sony, but I see no point in it. I have a PS2 which apparently displays better graphics anyway. I have a minidisk player that actually fits in my jean pocket without creating a huge buldge so thats that aspect covered and the battery lasts for more than a few hours. And as fun as portable films are, who doesnt own a TV in their room or have a PC with a dvd-rom to watch films on if they can't use the main TV to watch a film. The only time this might be useful is on a train or a bus. But you only get one viewing out of it before you're looking for a power outlet to charge your system. PSP needs an awesome game for it that I cant get anywhere else for me to get one.
Touch Screen is nice, but not as big as many people make it out to be.

However, it's bigger than the latest attempt at the "we've got better graphics and 12 minutes of gameplay!" by another corporation. It's bigger than adding bells and whistles they don't need (Playing DVDs you have to buy specially for the PSP, MP3 capacity), especially since I have no desire for a portable DVD player and have no need for a MP3 player (I have one that stores 40 GB. Why would I want a crpapy memory stick one?).

The PSP and the DS both have a serious lack of games that make me declare a winner, but I've still seen enough on the DS to want it more. If there's a price break/better battery at a decent price, I might break out cash for the PSP, but I don't need the extras, the hassles of 9 batteries to keep up with the DS, or the flaws of the PSP bad enough to bother with this shit.

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
03-16-2005, 08:36 PM

I like to be able to tell whether or not I have just vomited all over my console by looking at the screen, thank you very much.

Really, Game Boy's colors were revolting. Not to mention I was not a fan of their games. I owned them both, but played game gear more, and then just stopped playing them alltogether. I had no real reason for a portable (though I do now). There were simply better games on consoles, but the PSP looks to rectify that. Game Gear had a short battery life, but I usually had it plugged into the wall, and when I didn't, I had extra batteries.

Anyway, I don't want PSP because it's a handheld, it's because it's going to have Twisted Metal Head On on it primarily. Not to mention GTA is coming out on it, as well as many other awesome games. And it's ONLINE. Also, since I don't have a mobile DVD player or iPod or anything, this will be nice. Just because it does other things besides gaming isn't a reason to attack it. It's just extra benefits, it's not like it can't play games, I think that from the info so far, that is pretty obvious.

To be fair, Metroid is coming out on DS, and I would imagine that'll be good, but I just don't see much in DS's future. I mean really, does you honestly think that the dual screen will innovate the industry? do you think that the next wave of handhelds will all have dual screens? It's a gimmick. It may be nice for a game or two, but it's a gimmick nonetheless. It's like the Eyetoy. PSP has so much more potential IMO.

Either way, Nintendo fans better hope that PSP crashes and burns, because if it massacres the game boy, Nintendo is in bad shape.

Anyway, to each his own.

Kane Knight
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
I like to be able to tell whether or not I have just vomited all over my console by looking at the screen, thank you very much.
I suggest getting your vision checked.

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
03-17-2005, 03:52 AM
I suggest getting your vision checked.

Thank you.

That aside, am I the only one that thought that the color of the screen of the original Game Boy looked like vomit?

The Destroyer
03-17-2005, 04:50 AM
If you vomit is that shade of green, you might have a problem. :p

#BROKEN Hasney
03-17-2005, 06:51 AM
I only have one worry about the DS right now. Hopefully it will have more good 3rd party games. The only great GBA games have been from Nintendo, and most of them were ports...

Kane Knight
03-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I only have one worry about the DS right now. Hopefully it will have more good 3rd party games. The only great GBA games have been from Nintendo, and most of them were ports...
I'd be less worried if we weren't so far past the launch date, with so many of the new games looking to be Nintendo.

time will tell, but I bet the combination of the secrecy (Which apparently, some people think is a good thing), plus Sony getting a bunch of third parties signed on, Nintendo may be a bit dicked there.

Of course, Sony's really not looking that hot right now either.

GODSON
03-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I heard another handheld system called Zodiac coming out.

Whatever happen to that handheld system that came out 1-2 years ago with a phone and online play?

I think DS and Nintendo will dominate the handheld market because of the first party games. No one wants to play Playstation games on a handheld screen.Nintendo games however like Mario is better on handheld. The kids(parents money) is the majority of the handheld business and we all know Nintendo owns the kids because of Pokemon,Mario,etc. PSP will probably be a better system but Nintendo will most likely win the war.

Kane Knight
03-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Whatever happen to that handheld system that came out 1-2 years ago with a phone and online play?
Nokia N-Gage?

Still around...Somewhat...

Kane Knight
03-17-2005, 10:13 PM

I think DS and Nintendo will dominate the handheld market because of the first party games. No one wants to play Playstation games on a handheld screen.Nintendo games however like Mario is better on handheld. The kids(parents money) is the majority of the handheld business and we all know Nintendo owns the kids because of Pokemon,Mario,etc. PSP will probably be a better system but Nintendo will most likely win the war.
Hey, Sony dominates the console market with inferior technology. X-Box is far superior HARDWARE, Gamecube gets superior effects through "less is more," and the Playstation is...Well, crap with third party support.

DS
03-17-2005, 10:19 PM

Kane Knight
03-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I'm so in the wrong for saying that the Playstation is inferior hardware. BAH GAWD!

DS
03-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Would have quoted you if I was refering to your post, I was rolling at this whole thread in general.

imfeelingskinnytony
03-18-2005, 12:55 AM
well all i know is that im feeling skinny randy!!! no no i mean tony