PDA

View Full Version : To any guys in/were in Wrestling School: AKA Dave Youell

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey, well I've been thinking about going now too once I graduate and am secure in a financial way. I never really thought I would ever go to a wrestling school, but over the past two years it has been in the back of my mind. I love wrestling and it's just something I think I should at least try. Now it would be just for an educational purpose as I'm not looking to go to the WWE or even wrestle in major promotions or anything, cause I know I don't have shot in hell with my size. I want to go into the school learning to be a "Manager" as that would suit me better for my size and plus I would get to do my most favorite thing about wrestling: talk on the microphone to the crowd.

Anyway, I just wanted to know for those who have been to wrestling school, what was your first day (most specifically) and first two weeks like? I know I going to get my ass kicked like it's never been kicked before, but I want to hear your experiences.

Thanks.

Innovator
03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
LC how big are you?

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
5'11

Ruien
03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
YEY no more LC on the forums :)

Kane Knight
03-15-2005, 07:26 PM
5'11

I think Peewee Herman could whup ya.

Hired Hitman
03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I want to be a manager, some of the spotlight and zero risk of injury :cool:

Cruiserweight 3:16
03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
During my first day at wrestling class some guy (whose second lesson it was) did a headlock takedown (I think that's what it's called) and he somehow managed to land his body right onto my shoulder and injuring it. It hurted like hell when it happened, but it just meant a few weeks of not bumping on the mat.

When I started off, I was learning basic manoevours such as a front headlock, side headlock, wristholdes etc so it's nothing too difficult - just takes a lot of practice to pull it off cleanly and neatly. Plus I learned how to bump, which hurted a bit at first because I knocked the wind outta me, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty decent to do.

If you wanna got to a wrestling school, go to one where the teacher knows his stuff and has contacts in the business - there's nothing better than going on trips to watch the WWE live for free, meeting wrestlers and backstage staff, and practicing in the WWE ring.

Savio
03-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Hahaha 165!

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks a lot Crusier :y:

Fast Metabolism people. Not an ounce of fat on me, what are you going to do.

The quickness makes up for the low weight though ;)

The juice will be pumped in, don't worry

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Oh yea, Crusier, how did the guys treat you when you first came in? Did they help you out? Did they shun you?

And how good in shape were you when you came in?

Justdisturbed
03-15-2005, 08:23 PM
hey loose cannon i think u should go for it - dont care if they shun u or anything because of ur size - u know what u wanna do. jsut keep in mind:

Jimmy Hart
5'10, 166
he has managed
Jerry Lawler
Austin Idol
Masao Ito
The First Family (Memphis)
Randy Savage
Rick Rude
Eddie Gilbert
Lanny Poffo
Kamala
King Kong Bundy
The Funk Brothers
The Glamour Girls
Rougeau Brothers
Rhythem & Blues
Earthquake
Dino Bravo
Money Inc
Nasty Boys
Natural Disasters
Hulk Hogan
Brutus Beefcake
The Dungeon of Doom
The Giant
Kevin Sulligan
Lex Luger
Ric Flair
Konnan
Meng
Barbarian
The First Family WCW
Brian Knobbs
Hugh Morrus
Jerry Flynn
Barbarian

and now hes in hall of fame

Volchok
03-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Yeah I wanna get into a wrestling school when I graduate, I just need to get bigger right now im 6' and about 145...

Drakul
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
there's nothing better than going on trips to watch the WWE live for free, meeting wrestlers and backstage staff, and practicing in the WWE ring.
I was gonna go to a wrestling school here that Jake "The Snake" regularly teaches at but I backed out at the last sec for reasons I wont go into.Then this week on RAW he comes out and the camera cuts to a bunch of guys with the Scottish flag! I assume that may have been a few of the guys!:mad:
So I coulda been there.Ah well.

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
hey loose cannon i think u should go for it - dont care if they shun u or anything because of ur size - u know what u wanna do. jsut keep in mind:

Jimmy Hart
5'10, 166
he has managed
Jerry Lawler
Austin Idol
Masao Ito
The First Family (Memphis)
Randy Savage
Rick Rude
Eddie Gilbert
Lanny Poffo
Kamala
King Kong Bundy
The Funk Brothers
The Glamour Girls
Rougeau Brothers
Rhythem & Blues
Earthquake
Dino Bravo
Money Inc
Nasty Boys
Natural Disasters
Hulk Hogan
Brutus Beefcake
The Dungeon of Doom
The Giant
Kevin Sulligan
Lex Luger
Ric Flair
Konnan
Meng
Barbarian
The First Family WCW
Brian Knobbs
Hugh Morrus
Jerry Flynn
Barbarian

and now hes in hall of fame

yea, that's the kind of character on want to portray. This little mother fucker who gets on everyone's nerves by talking so much shit and who's ass everyone in the arena could probably kick, but they can't touch me and I know they can't.

I'll use the line everyone hates, "You can't touch me cause I'll sue your ass for everything you're worth. And if you don't have the money, I'll sue your whole dam family...even your stupid little pets."

Andy Kauffman_style

The Naitch
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
I can picture LC being the next Josh Matthews :lol:

Loose Cannon
03-15-2005, 09:00 PM
hey if I can get a job announcing in the WWE, I'll take it. Josh carried the "ultimate babyface" stigma on Tough Enough though. He should of played a pissed off "little guy" who was sick and tired on hearing the "you're to small shit."

The Naitch
03-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Loose Cannon > Josh Matthews

03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh yea, Crusier, how did the guys treat you when you first came in? Did they help you out? Did they shun you?

And how good in shape were you when you came in?

I was in ok shape in terms of body tone and stamina, but by the sound of it I weigh more or less the same as you and am about the same height. The thing about wrestling is that even if you wrestle a basic catch as catch can match, you can find yourself so easily out of breath after 5 minutes, so conditioning is very important.

There's always going to be a variety of people at a wrestling class - it just depends on which school you go to I suppose and the experience of those wrestlers. Personally, the guys I found were really helpful. At a wrestling class almost everyone is willing to learn, so there's not that many HHH's about (except for about 2 people who think they're gonna be the next HBK - stupidity does exist without the use of steroids).

You've got to make sure that you don't stiff anybody accidentally because the general rule is that anybody who stiffs you, you should stiff back to (insert Hardcore Holly jokes here). Mind you, you should expect to get a bit hurt every lesson - bumping around has that whole workout effect on your back i.e. it probably won't hurt immediately, but give it a few hours and your muscles will be stiff as hell. And yet the best way to cure a hurting back is to bump! I know it sounds a bit bizarre, but trust me on this one. Also, you'll probably find perhaps one or two people who are a bit stiff and clumsy and you'll have to practice a match with them now and again - if you're in a situation with a guy like that, always talk to him throughout a match and call certain, non-stiffening moves.

Shadow
03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I know what this is.

You just want to get to be the guy to manage Randy Orton. Then we'll start hearing about a passionet gay affair that Randy's carrying on with his "manager".

03-15-2005, 09:59 PM
By the way, bumping around in a WWE ring is so sweet... it doesn't even remotely hurt compared to mats and other rings.

Dave Youell
03-16-2005, 03:34 AM
I was gonna go to a wrestling school here that Jake "The Snake" regularly teaches at but I backed out at the last sec for reasons I wont go into.Then this week on RAW he comes out and the camera cuts to a bunch of guys with the Scottish flag! I assume that may have been a few of the guys!:mad:
So I coulda been there.Ah well.
Jake's school were a fucking joke, he would spend 4 hours trying to teach you how to do a headlock, trust me you didn't miss much.

I liked him and all and he is a really interesting guy with loads of decent storys, but as a trainer now, meh. Not to say we wasn't great because he trained Raven

Dave Youell
03-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Ok LC here's my views on this:

Being the fact that i'm in the UK and your US, things are probably different, but here goes.

I got beaten the hell out of for about a year, yeah like 3:16 said you learn the basics and we were allowed to do other things as well but on the whole it was 'hey Dave come over here and take this move', sometimes they were strict as hell. If you fuck up you get chopped, if you don't do something right you get chopped, if you answer back you get chopped. I now know it was done to see if I would keep coming back, once you get past that your fine, as the worst is over. Not to say I didn't go home black and blue, because i did, but I kept at it because I wanted it and I achieved my goal and it's one of the few things in my life that i've stuck to and can look back and be proud of what i've done

As a manager though, most managers that i'm aware of haven't even stepped in the dam ring, which is insane really, because the manager is the guy who the fans want to see take that bump. when you go to training, tell them first that you want to be a manager, I would imagine that from there you would still have to learn how to bump and some other basics, but that should be it, I would think anyway. The tough part is finding someone to manage and then finding a booker who's willing to pay for 2 guys instead of 1. You may find that you don't get paid a great deal if anything at all being a manager, but that's when you have to question why it is that you do this. Over the years I have probably lost more money than i've made with the amount of cash i've spend on travelling, training, ring gear and time of work with injuries, but i don't care, i'd do it all over again, you need to except that now rather than when you've been in the biz for 5 years and you haven't made a dime.

If you want to know anything else let me know

Loose Cannon
03-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks Dave.

Yea, that's why I said I would wait until I'm finacially secure if I ever do this. I really don't care if I get any money at all, I just want to go out there and do it. And I want to go to a school where managers have to take the bumps and whatnot because it will better me for the future.

Couple more ?'s for anybody

1) How many days a week was "practice" and for how long?

2) Were you always working or would there be times where you just stop for a while and watch other guys?

3) Did anyone ever get seriously hurt when you were training?

Dave Youell
03-16-2005, 09:54 AM

2) Were you always working or would there be times where you just stop for a while and watch other guys?

1) I did 2 hours every Thursday on Mats and Every other sunday in a ring for about a year

2) We watched sometimes, sometimes guys would pair off and work a match together

3) Yeah, seen broken arms, that's probably the worst, it's a combination of smaller injuries that hurt, I still have problem areas now that will never go away

Fignuts
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
LC, 5 11 isn't that small. Maybe back in the 80's but not anymore. Judging from your weight, you definitly would have to bulk up, and gain some muscle, but don't throw out the idea of wrestling just yet.

I'm 5' 8 but I still plan on giving the business a try.

Nervous Ferret
03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
haha Fignuts is a bitch!

anyway

LooseCannon > Josh Mathews

McDoogle
03-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey LooseCannon are you going to start juicing to get massively bigger?

Dave Youell
03-16-2005, 03:22 PM
LC, 5 11 isn't that small. Maybe back in the 80's but not anymore. Judging from your weight, you definitly would have to bulk up, and gain some muscle, but don't throw out the idea of wrestling just yet.

I'm 5' 8 but I still plan on giving the business a try.
Your 5' 8 and your having a go at him trying?

And the following People are under 6 foot:

Y2J
Ricky Steamboat
Rey Mysterio
Pycosis

and they all did alright for themselves

John la Rock
03-16-2005, 03:25 PM
ya guys like Jericho, Benoit and Guerrero are only 215-220. It might be tough getting to that size though

Fignuts
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Your 5' 8 and your having a go at him trying?.

I'm just saying what you said. There are a lot of guys under even 5'11 who have made it in this business. If what he truly wants to do is managing, then go for it. But if a part of him wants to wrestle, but he thinks he's too small, I'm saying he might want to reconsider.

03-16-2005, 06:27 PM

1) 1 Day a week for me on Sundays between 12-3

2) A lot of the time you just watch others wrestle, there are times when you all learn at the same time on the mats, and other times when you wrestle at least a couple of matches

3) I've been hurt a few times with a shoulder injury and concussions, and I've seen others breaking their arms due to this one guy who did that move Scott Steiner used to do (a kinda DDT manoevour that Muhammad Hassan also uses)

foodstampchamp
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I've been planning on enrolling in the BCW Wrestling School in Ontario, Canada in the next year or so. I'm 5' 11 and 245 lbs, but I would like to add a little bit more muscle to my frame, get into better cardio condition, become stronger, and get rid of this dreadful beer gut. First I must find a secure job, save up some cash, and get in shape. Good luck to the rest of the aspiring wrestlers in here, hopefully we all get to pursue our dreams.

Innovator
03-17-2005, 01:38 AM
As of now I'm 6'1, 218. If I get cut up and put on another 10 lbs, I can be at a decent size.