PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown in 2003

The Naitch
04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I kept hearing Smackdown was kicking RAW's ass around this time, but I was on a vacation for the end of 2002 to No Way Out 2003. But I came back to watch Wrestlemania 19 in Seattle. But it seemed that Smackdown kept getting praised for being better than RAW for the rest of the year. I was working on Thursdays' so I barely watched Smackdown.

Was it because of the Angle/Brock feud and the better overall roster that they had? What?

And can someone tell me if the interest was high (in the wrestling forum and in general) when The Rock cameback before No Way Out?

Merci :)

MVP
04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I'd have to say 2004 was the first year that I liked RAW more than Smackdown.

Last year SD was way better than RAW cause the Angle/Brock feud kicked ass. Guys like Eddie, Benoit, Cena, and Big Show were getting decent pushes, and Heyman actually got air time. Even the crusierweight division was mediocre, which is great in comparison to this year. RAW mostly composed of HHH's horrible feuds with Nash, Steiner, and Goldberg. If it weren't for Orton's big push I wouldn't have even watched RAW.

Dave Youell
04-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Smackdown had the smackdown 6

The Naitch
04-01-2005, 03:09 PM
So what did you think about Rock's return? I was waiting for Rock to turn heel forever, and when he finally does, guess what? I'm on vacation and cut off from watching any wrestling. Same thing happened when I missed out on the Austin/Rock feud before Wrestlemania X7. :(

The Naitch
04-01-2005, 03:10 PM
note to self- Stop taking Christmas vacations to the carribean

John la Rock
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I'd have to say 2004 was the first year that I liked RAW more than Smackdown.

Last year SD was way better than RAW cause the Angle/Brock feud kicked ass. Guys like Eddie, Benoit, Cena, and Big Show were getting decent pushes, and Heyman actually got air time. Even the crusierweight division was mediocre, which is great in comparison to this year. RAW mostly composed of HHH's horrible feuds with Nash, Steiner, and Goldberg. If it weren't for Orton's big push I wouldn't have even watched RAW.

:y:

Jaton
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I missed most everything from early 2002-late 2003.

The Naitch
04-01-2005, 03:19 PM
So when did this die? The day JBL became champ? The day Brock left WWE? Or Benoit jumping to RAW? Or when Cena turned babyface and became lame? Probably a combination of it all

KingofOldSchool
04-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Heyman was not even close to being the fucking reason Smackdown was good back then.

El Santo
04-01-2005, 08:22 PM
I'd say you could probably pinpoint the beginning of the end when Hardcore Holly was given a main event push.

Then Brock left, the draft screwed everything, Jacqueline won the cruiserweight belt, WGTT split up, and you know the rest.

PullMyFinger
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
I missed most everything from early 2002-late 2003.
I'm with him.

John la Rock
04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
So when did this die? The day JBL became champ? The day Brock left WWE? Or Benoit jumping to RAW? Or when Cena turned babyface and became lame? Probably a combination of it all

I'd say it was because they never got GOOD people to replace Benoit and Lesnar. They should have got someone like HBK or Jericho to fill the void

The CyNick
04-02-2005, 12:17 AM
It had a lot to do with the Great 6 (Benoit, Angle, Eddie, Chavo, Edge and Rey). All those guys were having a bunch of tag matches with each other that was tearing up most of the shows. Angle-Lesnar on top didn't hurt either.

Also, on RAW at the time you had HHH, who had no business being in the ring with his injuries having terrible matches with Kanee, HBk and then Nash.

They really started pushing RAW over SD after Goldberg started working with Hunter, then they did the Benoit deal, and then Lesnar and Angle left SD with nothing coming back to replace them.