PDA

View Full Version : Yet another idea for how to "fix" the WWE...

DaveWadding
04-07-2005, 06:36 AM
And I'm not going to say integrate the rosters, or flip flop the titles between shows or...whatever else.

Anyways, what they should do is DROP SOME OF THE GODDAMN PPVs! They have what, like 14 a year? That's WAY too many.

1) There's hardly any build up. I mean, 4 weeks isn't a lot to credibly build up a half decent feud.

2) PPV quality isnt that good as it is!

3) PPVs are too damn expensive. I'm a long time fan, and I STILL don't wanna shell out 30 bucks a month.

4) PPVs should be special. Now, it's just like "eh..."

So here's what I say they do...

SCRAP EVERY PPV except the Big 5!

Royal Rumble - January
Wrestlemania - March
King of the Ring - June
Summerslam - August
Survivor Series - November

Hell, they could add one more and make it a nice even 6. Throw it in there for late September/ Early October (because of the longer interval between SummerSlam and Survivor Series) call it Fall Brawl, and it'd be fine.

Of course, that would mean both brands are back under one roof, but that cuts costs too. Save Vince a little dinero. AND you could get a few interbrand feuds going that way.

This way, they have some time to actually BUILD credible stories, it's not just like a one off thing.

I (personally) would be more willing to throw our $30 6 times a year for a longer (and hopefully better as a consequence) built stories, as opposed to $30 13 times and $50 once (Wrestlemania) for the shit we get now.

What do you guys think?

Gerard
04-07-2005, 07:16 AM
I think theres far too many ppv's as well. I remember around 1990 or so it was just royal rumble, wrestlemania, summerslam and survivor series. It had a more special kind of a feel to it, now the crap we get bombarded with these days is just episodes of smackdown or raw with different sets and an arena full of people that don't seem to give a shit. Still amazes me how on raw they can have 15000 people going mad yet they have a ppv with around 25000 in attendance and the crowd just seems to make no noise whatsoever.

Even takers entrance at mania 21 the crowd just seemed dead, then again they seemed that way for most of the show besides a few instances.

If they want to make ppv's "special" then reducing the number would be a good way to start, keep the gimmick matches more confined to ppv's as well. Just seems kinda crowded having one every damn month which usually turns out to be a snorefest save one or 2 matches.

SuperSlim
04-07-2005, 08:05 AM
hmmm never really thought about reducing the number of PPVs but King of the Ring, that name has been soiled on by WWE because they made it way way too predictable and in the end it meant nothing.

Before it was an honor to be declared the king of the ring but like the last one there was it meant nothing to be the king. Sadly I wouldn't want the King of the Ring name soiled on anymore than it has been.

But 6 a year would give a lot more time to develop a story/feud. The only thing is will it work. I mean right now. Raw has their own special PPV that comes 2 months after their previous one as does SmackDown! and their problem is that after their PPV they do nothing. Then a month away is when they try to do everything. It isn't like they don't have time to develop the stories. Then a lotta time they don't. They just create some tournament to declare a number 1 contender. Then they start some random feud that goes nowhere, leads nowhere, and only bores the crowd.

Booker T vs. Hidenreich... Taker vs. Hidenreich. Who cares? Why? Both of those feuds were pointless.

The Batista/Triple H feud was good. That was because they built on that for a while.

XIX-Jericho vs. Shawn. That was an awesome feud that traced back to December.

The thing is there are guys like HHH and Shawn that get these awesome feuds then there are guys like Booker T that get nothing. There are guys like Haas that look like they are about to get this killer thing going on then out of the blue it gets shot down and they are stuck teamin with Hardcore Holly.

If anything WWE needs to resurrect feuds again. Not just create a match a week or two before the PPV show and have some short meaningless feud. Also it would be nice to have some of those feuds carry over the PPV.

toxic rooster
04-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah good fucking luck. As if the average wrestling fan's attention span would allow for that to happen.

Plus they're making like twice the amount of money having twice as many ppv's anyway.

Dave Youell
04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
They won't do that, no chance.

Think about it, right now for an single branded PPV they make anywhere between 200,000 - 300,000 Units, they wouldn't re-coupe those viewers by having less PPV's and there will always be that solid fan base who will buy them. Unless the viewing figures completly bomb (which I don't think they will as they seem to be on the up and with Raw back on USA they will def garner more interest) if anything I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more PPV's.

They need to improve the product grated and less PPV's would help, but by doing so they would make less money and it is a business at the end of the day

toxic rooster
04-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah

Loose Cannon
04-07-2005, 10:29 AM
LOL, they're gonna be running like TNA soon and have a PPV a week. 1 week buildup

TerranRich
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Didn't TNA stop their weekly PPVs already? Haven't really followed it too much, but I thought they went to monthly PPVs.

Kane Knight
04-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah good fucking luck. As if the average wrestling fan's attention span would allow for that to happen.

Plus they're making like twice the amount of money having twice as many ppv's anyway.
They're making money based on 13 poorly built PPVs. That doesn't mean that a well built PPV draws just as well as a poorly built one. That's just dumb logic.

#1-norm-fan
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I've stopped ordering all but the big 4.

AND I'M #1-WWF-FAN!!!!!

PorkSoda
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
You know how to fix the WWE? Get a screwdriver, some nails and glue. I don't need to explain more.

Pepsi Man
04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
LOL, they're gonna be running like TNA soon and have a PPV a week. 1 week buildup
There were rumors of that from 1996 through the early part of 1998.

DaveWadding
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
There were rumors of that from 1996 through the early part of 1998.
and that was the whole point of the Tuesday in Texas PPV back in 1991. Vince wanted to see if weekly PPVs would draw.