PDA

View Full Version : Batista on the Mic

Fox
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
After last nights "first interview with the new world champion," I have no doubt in my mind that Batista will drop the title at Backlash. He couldn't string two coherent sentences together, seemed extremely nervous, and was unbearably bland and boring. It was one of the worst promos I've heard in a long time, and that's not a good thing considering he's the world champ.

Batista is already a flounder of a world champ, and it's only week two.

M. Banana
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Who's Mic?

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Foley?

Champion of Europa
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I didn't mind the promo that much.

Boondock Saint
04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
He needs work but he did OK I guess. He won't drop the strap so soon. That would be incredibly pointless.

Fox
04-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I know it would, and that's just the problem. WWE put the belt on a guy who can't carry the flagship show every Monday night. It'd be two steps backward for both the title scene and Batista's character if he dropped it back to Triple H at Backlash, but after his promo last night, I don't see how he can continue on as World Champion for another month and a half after Backlash until the next RAW brand PPV - let alone Summerslam, where many people think he'll drop the title.

It'd be in the best interest of the company for him to lose the belt back to Triple H, a guy who, although extremely played out and boring, can at least be seen as a credible champion wrestling wise and entertainment wise. Batista can't do these things, and that's unfortunate, but it's true.

PullMyFinger
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Wrong. All Batista has to do is A. beat the shit out of everything in his sight B. just say "You're Next" LOL

Goldberg had shitty mic skills, but he played it well...

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
He needs work but he did OK I guess. He won't drop the strap so soon. That would be incredibly pointless.
Kinda like 3 HHH segments in a night

McLegend
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Batista is always good though in the segments in the back so what they could do is just do the promos in the back instead of the promos in the ring in front of people.

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 08:29 PM
They need to give him more time on non-televised events. Give him some time to work on his mic skills. He could probably be good, if he was in better practice.

SuperSlim
04-12-2005, 08:30 PM
yeah give Batista three separate segments in the back

James Steele
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Seriously, I was smiling during his promo. Even though some of the lines were a little slow coming together and stuff. They need to have Batista be the World Champion that only cares of beating the shit out of people.

olympic hitman
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
This post is incredibly ridiculous to me.

Batista has only been champion 2 weeks. How can you tell if his title reign will/won't be good? :roll:

Seriously, if it were you on the mic in front of tens of thousands of fans, would you be able to construct sentences correctly or refrain from being nervous? :shifty:

I happen to think all of Batista's promos have been decent. Nothing compared to Austin or Rock's promo skills, but, he's coming along nicely. He just needs a little practice and more confidence in his own ability on the mic.

Even such guys as Austin, Rock, or HHH have misspoken or messed up in the middle of a promo. The only thing that helps when that happens is how you save it. Batista, IMO, saved the rest of the promo after screwing up a few words.

Just watch and see; after a little time, Batista will get better. He'll probably never be on the level of Rock and Austin, but, again, he doesn't have to be......

M. Banana
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah. He can go out half naked, grab at other half naked men, body slam, powerbomb, run, and all the shit... but he can't construct a full sentence.

redoneja
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't want to see Batista talk, I want to see him powerbomb some fool through the ring.

Fox
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
This post is incredibly ridiculous to me.

Batista has only been champion 2 weeks. How can you tell if his title reign will/won't be good? :roll:

Seriously, if it were you on the mic in front of tens of thousands of fans, would you be able to construct sentences correctly or refrain from being nervous? :shifty:

I happen to think all of Batista's promos have been decent. Nothing compared to Austin or Rock's promo skills, but, he's coming along nicely. He just needs a little practice and more confidence in his own ability on the mic.

Even such guys as Austin, Rock, or HHH have misspoken or messed up in the middle of a promo. The only thing that helps when that happens is how you save it. Batista, IMO, saved the rest of the promo after screwing up a few words.

Just watch and see; after a little time, Batista will get better. He'll probably never be on the level of Rock and Austin, but, again, he doesn't have to be......

That's exactly my point though. It's only been two weeks and I can already tell he's not going to be a good champion. I understand the amount of stress and tension that cutting a promo in front of thousands of people (millions world wide) can create, but that only goes to prove my point even more - we cannot have a WWE champion who's going to choke on live TV, much like Batista did this past Monday night.

He doesn't have any natural charisma or any angles to play off of. Austin was the blue collar bad ass against the corporate boss, Rock is just a charismatic machine no matter who he's up against, and even JBL and John Cena are better on the mic, by far. Batista is nobody. He's the "animal." And animals are great for powerbombing people through tables and giving the occasional spinebuster, but not as champion.

People can get better on the mic and start to feel more comfortable, but he just doesn't have that "it" factor that any of the other main eventers have, and therefore, has nothing to talk about when he gets on the mic. He doesn't know how to play to a crowd, he doesn't know how to build himself up, and he doesn't know how to attack his opponent with words. His character is too weak.

The only "animal" who worked as world champion was Goldberg, and that's because he had WCW's mega roster of jobbers and mid-carders to slam through between PPV bouts with other main eventers. But he hardly ever spoke, and it worked. The WWE just doesn't have that kind of a roster for Batista to go through.

I hate to be pessimistic here, and I know that I am, but I don't see Batista lasting much longer as the champ.

redoneja
04-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Goldberg wasn't the only animal champion....what about the Ultimate Warrior, or Gillberg?

Gerard
04-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Batista's backstage segment last night consisted of him and benoit standing bare chested slapping each others tits. :shifty: :wtf:

Loose Cannon
04-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't want to see Batista talk, I want to see him powerbomb some fool through the ring.

You just spoke for most of the casual fans out there :y:

EXACTLY.

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
You just spoke for most of the casual fans out there :y:

EXACTLY.
And me.

Londoner
04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Batista's backstage segment last night consisted of him and benoit standing bare chested slapping each others tits. :shifty: :wtf:

That looked odd to me to. :wtf:

Shadow
04-12-2005, 10:47 PM

That's what I want to see. I don't want to see the "Animal" talk. I want him to destory. So what if he sucks on the mic. Not all champions are gold on the mic. So stop your bitching.

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 11:09 PM
That looked odd to me to. :wtf:
And gay. Cna't forget gay.

Kane Knight
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
That's what I want to see. I don't want to see the "Animal" talk. I want him to destory. So what if he sucks on the mic. Not all champions are gold on the mic. So stop your bitching.
HULK...SMASH.

Innovator
04-12-2005, 11:25 PM
NEW FEELINGS BREWING IN BATISTA!...WHAT...WOULD....HHH....DO?

Boondock Saint
04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Kinda like 3 HHH segments in a night

Yeah, kinda something like that.

SuperSlim
04-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Kane had tits last night

but GIllberg was a monster of a champion. I remember markin out for him everytime he was about to come out. You knew somethin was bound to happen.

Thriller
04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Batista is not gonna be good champion :n: what the hell are you smoking?First of all Batista is still overwhelmed by the crowd response and with the constant hype of that promo he had alot of pressure on him to deliver big time.Though not the greatest promo in the world it still served its purpose.That one line about HHH seeing fear in his own reflection was great.Ecer since Orton dropped the title a month later people have there fears.But the difference between Batista and Orton is Orton flopped and no one cared.Batista gets a good reaction from the fans plus the rating since hes been champ have been great.That overun drew a 4.8

Fox
04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Hmm, really? I was pretty sure it was seeing his fear in his own refrection.

Corkscrewed
04-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Right... all great champs must have mic skills.

Well, I guess that explains JBL's recent reign... but talk about being narrowminded. Dave doesn't have to be The Rock when he promos. He just has to look mean and indestructible.

And not chicken out or get soft cuz he's a face now.

olympic hitman
04-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Right... all great champs must have mic skills.

Well, I guess that explains JBL's recent reign... but talk about being narrowminded. Dave doesn't have to be The Rock when he promos. He just has to look mean and indestructible.

And not chicken out or get soft cuz he's a face now.

Thank you. Someone else who sees things as clearly as I do. Batista doesn't necessarily HAVE to talk, although he does.

First off, to all you Batista critics; where were you guys when Orton was champion? He was perhaps the biggest flop to ever be World Champion. His mic skills often-time left alot to be desired and he messed up[bumbled his word and sometimes said things too fast where you couldn't understand what he just said] moreso than Batista.

The thing is Batista DOESN'T have to have great mic skills to be champ. His size and ability in the ring more than suffice his cause. Want another example? Chris Benoit. He was perhaps one of the best World Champions and his mic skills sucked to say the least. Yet, I do not see alot of posts about Benoit's mic skills sucking[partly because the WWE is smart and doesn't let Benoit near a mic].

Batista is already put over as an "Animal" and that's all his character really needs. How many "animals" talk? :lol:

Last, but, not least; ratings. The ratings further solidify the fact that Batista is a draw. Face facts people. The WWE is quickly running out of top stars. Batista was a rushed champion. He didn't have hardly ANY time on the mic as a member of 'Evolution' because Flair was his mouthpiece. And now that he's on his own, he has to talk for himself. So, obviously, he will make a few errors.

I really don't see the big deal. If you go back and watch RAW over again[on Heat] you will notice Batista only made one whole mistake in that promo. He said 'refraction' when he obviously meant 'reflection'. Big deal. That proves nothing. Trust me, once Batista is given the time to develop on the mic, he'll be fine, but, that's just my opinion.

So, please, don't act like 3-year olds and flame. Try to debate the points with facts, huh?

Kane Knight
04-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Does Babe count?

Vastardikai
04-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Actually, I thought he was very effective with the promo. He was nervous, but that's understandable. He made one serious line flub, but all in all he did a good job.

It was a simple promo, and the reaction from the crowd proves to me that Vince McMahon, if he doesn't mess this up, could have a legitimate draw on his hands.

Oh, and comparing Orton to Batista is like comparing Greg Gagne to Hulk Hogan. I am not afraid to upset the cult of Orton, but the guy has much more in common with Verne's scrawny and over-pushed son than he does to the Rock: Same build, same mediocrity, the whole shebang. Orton's reign was a flop for a couple of reasons:

1. Triple H, but no need to go into that.

2. He isn't strong enough a worker to be pushed as a face.

3. Again, I have to mention his build. It's harder to push a smaller guy as a World Champion, and Vince doesn't know how to do it.

Now, I'm not going to say that Batista is a better athlete than Orton. However, he has a few things going for him that Orton didn't:

1. His size: I'm not a person with a big man fetish, mind you. However, It is easier for the average joe to consider Batista to be a World Champion.

2. Development: Batista really wasn't shoved down everyone's throats like Orton. He was rushed, yes. But he spent some time teaming with Ric Flair, and he learned a great bit. I just feel they built him up more over time, while they carted every geriatric they could find to job to Orton.

3. Face Heat: Last night, with a decent promo, he got a good pop. During the confrontations leading up to his face turns, the fans wanted to cheer him. Give him some time and a solid title reign, he could be the second coming of Hulk Hogan. Is that an exaggeration? Probably, but for some reason, I can see him being marketable.

Kane Knight
04-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Thank you. Someone else who sees things as clearly as I do. Batista doesn't necessarily HAVE to talk, although he does.

First off, to all you Batista critics; where were you guys when Orton was champion? He was perhaps the biggest flop to ever be World Champion. His mic skills often-time left alot to be desired and he messed up[bumbled his word and sometimes said things too fast where you couldn't understand what he just said] moreso than Batista.

The thing is Batista DOESN'T have to have great mic skills to be champ. His size and ability in the ring more than suffice his cause. Want another example? Chris Benoit. He was perhaps one of the best World Champions and his mic skills sucked to say the least. Yet, I do not see alot of posts about Benoit's mic skills sucking[partly because the WWE is smart and doesn't let Benoit near a mic].

Batista is already put over as an "Animal" and that's all his character really needs. How many "animals" talk? :lol:

Last, but, not least; ratings. The ratings further solidify the fact that Batista is a draw. Face facts people. The WWE is quickly running out of top stars. Batista was a rushed champion. He didn't have hardly ANY time on the mic as a member of 'Evolution' because Flair was his mouthpiece. And now that he's on his own, he has to talk for himself. So, obviously, he will make a few errors.

I really don't see the big deal. If you go back and watch RAW over again[on Heat] you will notice Batista only made one whole mistake in that promo. He said 'refraction' when he obviously meant 'reflection'. Big deal. That proves nothing. Trust me, once Batista is given the time to develop on the mic, he'll be fine, but, that's just my opinion.

So, please, don't act like 3-year olds and flame. Try to debate the points with facts, huh?
A few things:

1) I do agree that Batista doesn't need mic skills. However, if they're giving him the mic, it HURTS. HIS. CHARACTER. I can't emphasise that enough. He needs to be big and bad and indestructable.

2) You're new here, but Orton AND Benoit have their critics, and had their critics as champions. Their mic skills have been questioned, shot at, and slammed mercilessly. The thing is, they're not the ones main eventing as champion right now, and cutting promos like this right now. Why talk about Benoit, who was a champion last year, while the present is inundating out ADD-addled minds with Batista?

Please, don't ask where the critics were. They were here.

3) The ratings don't solidify anything yet.

4) But in the meanwhile, Batista could be good on the mic with some practice.

Loose Cannon
04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
The Problem with Batista is not that he screws up words. He could screw up 5 words for all I care. It's his delievery and timing. He speaks softly when he should enhance the volume, he enhances the volume when he should slow down. A word(s) that should of been emphasized weren't. That's where he needs his practice.

But again, he's not going to be a great talker. He needs to come out, talk about killing people and NEVER put HHH over as if he should be thanking HHH for that match. Cause I think he did that a few times. Not in the last promo I don't think.

jjmoney21
04-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Batista sucks. Big Moron+Big Muscles+No Mic Skills=Crap. Take a hint people, why because he beats the crap out of people. For all you avid wrestling fans, who want more wrestling, this isnt the guy your going to get it from. Not saying that Triple H will give you any better, but at least he can talk. Batista is a roided up typical Vince big guy, who will have his one shot then be done with. I.E. Kane

Deceit
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM

wow, that was fucking great. :y: :y: totally agreed.

Kane Knight
04-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Batista sucks. Big Moron+Big Muscles+No Mic Skills=Crap. Take a hint people, why because he beats the crap out of people. For all you avid wrestling fans, who want more wrestling, this isnt the guy your going to get it from. Not saying that Triple H will give you any better, but at least he can talk. Batista is a roided up typical Vince big guy, who will have his one shot then be done with. I.E. Kane
:|

LK
04-13-2005, 05:24 PM
:wtf: :nono:

LK
04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I've just seen it and I don't think the promo was all that bad. I would agree with LC about his timing. Just get someone who is good with the mic like Paul Heyman with him and just teach him how to conduct his promos.

PureHatred
04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Just book him like Goldberg damn it. That idiot didn't say a single word for months on end, and no one cared. He fed that baser primal instinct to see somebody beat the living hell out of someone else. Like 'Bum Fights.' Or the entertaining parts of NASCAR races.

Batista is the same. Long term, he needs to learn to cut a decent promo. But as KK mentioned, thats what house shows are for.

This has also been mentioned, but Batita is GREAT in his backstage stuff. He's genuinely funny in a subtle, smart-ass kind of way and you could easily get his character ove just by having him embarass/talk back to EB every week.

And then go out and powerbomb someone through the mat.

Funky Fly
04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I've never been that big a hoss fan. In fact, I'm really not a hoss fan at all, save a few big guys with actual skill (eg Kane). But I see Batista on TV, I can't help but watch him kill that other guy. Sure he's got a limited moveset, but he uses what he has effectively. Remember that match he had with Benoit last year where he kept literally kicking the shit out of him? 90% of Batista's moves in that match were kicks to the head. But it came off quite well.

Hell, I even bought the guy's shirt. And next to never buy shirts. I don't even have an Ultimo Dragon Mask. AND I WOULD GLADLY LET ASAI YOSHIHIRO HAVE HIS WAY WITH ME. :mad:

John la Rock
04-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Give him time

ford fairlane
04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
i agree with kk also with regards to doing the mic at house shows,also do more backstage promos to help build up his confidence on the mic

KillerWolf
04-15-2005, 12:58 PM
first- i agree that Batista is basically everything you called him. but to put Kane in the same category as Batista-that's just nonsense. Batista is a no-talent, jacked-up moron who is being pushed to the moon. Kane is a talented and charasmatic main eventer who has been buried by bad booking (possibly because he always must look inferior to his "brother" the Undertaker, who hasnt even been on tv since WM).

AJHayes
04-15-2005, 01:18 PM
I thought that Batistas promo had a very cool Old School Flavor to it. Not 80's old school... I'm talkin 60's. He has potential to be an incredible champ. He just needs to keep the vocally subtle gimmick going. And, of course, continue kicking that ass in the ring.

Kane Knight
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Kane is a talented and charasmatic main eventer who has been buried by bad booking (possibly because he always must look inferior to his "brother" the Undertaker, who hasnt even been on tv since WM).
They're gonna need to break both his legs to make him look inferior.

The CyNick
04-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Play to your strengths.

Batista's biggest weaknesses are his mic skills #1 and his wrestling #2.

At Mania he worked a match that was too long, and on RAW they had him talk.

Batista needs to be booked like Goldberg, make the fans anticipate his coming out, and have him tear through everyone. That will keep him over.

I can guarantee that if they keep having him talk and work long matches, he wont stay over for very long. Fans are fickle, if they see through someone, they will stop cheering for them. Batista has some things he's good, they should do those things more, and avoid the things he's bad at, like promos.

Fox
04-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Very true, Cynick. Problem is, there aren't enough main event heels for him to face on PPVs or feud with on TV to keep him fresh. With Goldberg there was the entire nWo plus a whole 100+ mid-card heels to smash, not to mention the interesting matches against faces like Sting and DDP which helped to establish him as not only a monsterous face, but a monsterous face who could also squash other main event faces.

On RAW there's Triple H and Edge, and Edge is even a questionable feud, as it probably wouldn't be very entertaining. Flair vs. Batista? No way. Christian vs. Batista? Could be good, but I doubt the WWE has it in them to put Christian into a main event position that way.

A Batista squash victory over the likes of Benoit, Jericho, or Benjamin would only hurt those guys' characters - and undeservably so.

The only thing I can think of would be HBK vs. Batista with Batista going over. It wouldn't really hurt the aging Michaels' legend, and it could be a great match, as Shawn has a history of putting on awesome matches with big lunky talentless main eventers (Sid Vicious and Diesel/Nash).

But like I've said, Batista as the main face on RAW isn't going to last long.

YOUR Hero
04-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Cause HHH is so much better.

The CyNick
04-15-2005, 10:07 PM
They have to create guys underneath that can come up and eventually challenge Batista.

For example, they could use this whole Hogan deal to make Hassan a top guy. Not saying they should make him a top guy, but in theory it could work.

Also, if they do a draft at some point, that should create some new matches.

But when I say push him like Goldberg, I dont mean have him work every week and squash someone, I just mean that when he's in a program he shouldn't be booked ot talk, he should be booked ot kick ass. If you look how they booked the program with him and HHH leading to Mania, it was great because HHH never got the better of him. Thats what I mean.

But their idea is that every top guy has to be able to do everything, and I dont think thats the case. I think they can get the most out of Batista by having him wrestle shorter matches, and talk very rarely. Let him do his talking with his fists, or his powerbombs as it were.