PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Rhodes Interview

GODSON
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
The following is an interview summary of Dusty Rhodes on Between the Ropes supplied to PWTorch.com by Richard Trionfo...

This week on Between the Ropes, wrestling legend, Total Nonstop Action Director of Authority, and author, ‘The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes joined Fritz, Dickerman, and Vito DeNucci to talk about his wrestling career; Lockdown; Total Nonstop Action wrestling; his autobiography "Dusty: Reflections of an American Dream"; and other issues in the world of professional wrestling.

Dusty started off by commenting about how people are going to react to the decision to book eight cage matches and that he does not care what people like Dave Meltzer will say about it.

Dusty was asked about what it was like to write his autobiography. He said that he had Howard Brody help him write the book. He wanted to be able to give some memories back to the fans. He wanted to be able to talk about the internet and TNA in the book. Dusty said that he plans to write at least one more book. Dusty was asked about working with Howard Brody and Dusty said that all Howard wanted to do was talk about wrestling. Dusty said that the book was his words, and Howard put it together. Dusty said that the only thing that Brody wants to do is have one more match with Dusty facing Hulk Hogan one more time. Dusty said that Howard was very patient dealing with Dusty because Dusty had problems in the past when he was dealing with Vince McMahon.

Dusty said that he was able to look back at the Briscos and Dick Murdochs wrestling and trying to figure out how they would be received today. Dusty mentioned that he included a dream card in his book.

He said that the most phenomenal athlete in the world is A.J. Styles and it is a shame that he does not get the exposure that he deserves. Dusty said that TNA needs a time slot to compete to get momentum. Dusty said that he was against the eight cage matches, but Dixie Carter and Jerry Jarrett suggested that it was time to try something different. Dusty said that he has no problem taking the heat for the suggestion. Dusty said that the talent will make it work. He said that A.J. Styles and Abyss will bring it home. He talked about how Jeff Jarrett is doing some of his best work right now.

Dusty was asked about booking philosophy and the direction for TNA. Dusty said that Christopher Daniels is the modern day Rick Rude with the way that a heel should be. Dusty said that the company was built on the X Division, but the product needs to be diverse. Dusty said that you need to be able to give him a format to work with to challenge Vince. He needs the right time and the right station to do it. Dusty said that the pay per views will not do the buys that it should. TNA is being watched by the internet crowd and the time slot is dictating the audience. Dusty said that there are a lot of people who would be interested, but they don't know that it exists.

Dusty was asked about whether TNA has a chance to move to another network. Dusty said that it has to happen for the company to continue to exist. Dusty said that money has been put into this company for three years, but it cannot go on without a new channel in the near future.

Dusty was asked about how TNA can have its own identity and he said that it is all about exposure and selling the product. Dusty said that when it happens they will have their own identity. Dusty talked about the X Division and the six sided ring. Dusty said that it does not matter if people are not watching the program. Dusty said that he has seen some episodes of Impact that were better than the time slot that they have.

Dusty was asked who would be the horses would happen if TNA got a prime time slot. Dusty said that he would use the people with name identity like Kevin Nash and Diamond Dallas Page. Dusty also mentioned the young stars like A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels, America's Most Wanted, Dustin Rhodes, Bobby Roode, Chris Sabin, and Michael Shane.

Dusty was asked about the recent releases in the WWE and whether they would be able to fit in TNA. Dusty said that if they brought in those guys, the younger guys would get angry at Dusty for bringing them in. Dusty said that if they were so good, why did they get let go by the competition? He mentioned that every week they have seven segments on Impact. Dusty said that if they bring in other guys from the WWE, it will be the younger guys who will lose their spots on television.

Dusty was asked about Jeff Jarrett holding the title for a long time and how it affects the perception of the company. Dusty said that the longer reign that you have for a champion, the more that it will do for the title. Dusty wonders why people suggest that there be a change. TNA needs to establish the title, and Dusty restated that Jeff Jarrett is doing some of his best work. Dusty said that he did not need to have the title, but when he did, it gave people the hope that there would be a new champion. Dusty said that it is not his ball, and the final decision is not his. He would make changes with the company, but not on top.

Between the Ropes airs every Wednesday from 10:00 p.m. until Midnight on 740 The Team in Orlando, Florida with Brian Fritz, Dickerman, and Vito DeNucci. Check out www.betweentheropes.com to listen to the live stream of the show every week. Archives of past interviews with Paul Heyman, Terry Funk, Rob Van Dam, Tully Blanchard, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, A.J. Styles, Jerry Lawler, Bobby Heenan, Steve Corino, Shane Douglas, Elix Skipper, Harley Race, Bubba Ray Dudley, and many more people in the world of professional wrestling can also be found on www.betweentheropes.com.

I give Dusty a month or two before TNA fired him.

Kane Knight
04-15-2005, 11:45 AM
TNA fired him?

Ohhhhh...Before TNA fireS him.

Kane Knight
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Dusty was asked about the recent releases in the WWE and whether they would be able to fit in TNA. Dusty said that if they brought in those guys, the younger guys would get angry at Dusty for bringing them in. Dusty said that if they were so good, why did they get let go by the competition? He mentioned that every week they have seven segments on Impact. Dusty said that if they bring in other guys from the WWE, it will be the younger guys who will lose their spots on television.
Since when has he been opposed to this?

Loose Cannon
04-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Best wrestling radio show in the world.

I'll listen later on today.

Gertner
04-15-2005, 12:34 PM
lol love how Dusty refers to Dustin as a "Young star"

PullMyFinger
04-15-2005, 12:36 PM
lol love how Dusty refers to Dustin as a "Young star"
lmao that slipped my mind

LK
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
And here was me under the illusion that the main event in recent months and the major storylines have revolved around Nash, Hall, Jeff Jarrett, DDP, Billy Gunn and himself.

Kane Knight
04-15-2005, 01:41 PM
And here was me under the illusion that the main event in recent months and the major storylines have revolved around Nash, Hall, Jeff Jarrett, DDP, Billy Gunn and himself.
They're the young talent. :roll:

PureHatred
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Dusty said that you need to be able to give him a format to work with to challenge Vince. He needs the right time and the right station to do it. Dusty said that the pay per views will not do the buys that it should. TNA is being watched by the internet crowd and the time slot is dictating the audience. Dusty said that there are a lot of people who would be interested, but they don't know that it exists.

Someone needs to tell Dust that even with a great timeslot on huge network, his booking would have fans tuning out ind roves.

PureHatred
04-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Dusty was asked about the recent releases in the WWE and whether they would be able to fit in TNA. Dusty said that if they brought in those guys, the younger guys would get angry at Dusty for bringing them in. Dusty said that if they were so good, why did they get let go by the competition?

Main Event at TNA Lockdown: DDP, Waltman, Nash v Jarrett, Gunn, and Monty Brown

Yeah, wouldn't want to clog up the roster with WWE has-beens. :roll:

Kane Knight
04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Someone needs to tell Dust that even with a great timeslot on huge network, his booking would have fans tuning out ind roves.
PRobably someone has. Ever wonder why therre's so much animosity towards Raven? ;)

KayfabeMan
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Dusty's logic is once again bullshit.

If anything, the "younger guys" should be glad that they'd sign these guys. Perhaps if Dusty were smart, he'd line it up so that the "younger guys" would get to work with the former WWE talents, giving them great opportunities / exposure. But God knows that that makes no sense to Dusty, as it makes perfect sense in the real world.

Keeping Page, Waltman, Nash, Jarrett, Brown, and Gunn locked up in feuds, they could easily present the incoming WWE talents as an invasion type angle, and have the so-called "young guys" be the ones to step up to defend TNA. But that'd be far too easy.

KayfabeMan
04-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Also, it's funny how Dusty said that if the talent were so great, that WWE would have kept them - yet he conveniently leaves his son out of that category.

Loose Cannon
04-15-2005, 04:45 PM
You know, Dusty is kind of saying some things I agree with here. I'm listening to it now, so I'll expalin my resoning afterwards. But he's making a decent point for some of the arguments.

Loose Cannon
04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Ok, first, I think listening to the interview is better then just reading it off here. It just comes off better.

Dusty made a point about Jarrett holding the Title for so long that I kind of agreed with. And I couldn't believe I was agreeing with him justifying Jeff's long ass reign. But he said.. Why would you pull the trigger now and put the Title on someone like an AJ Styles when you're not on a great time slot, not many people are watching and the TNA business wouldn't change anyway if there was a new champ.

He says why waste it now just to appease very very few people when you could put it over as something amazing on a much better timeslot and channel.

----------------------

Now here's the thing. I gotta agree with him there as not many people have watched TNA in the past or watch TNA now. It's on a crappy timeslot and it's really not going anywhere, even if you had a new champion 3 months ago, 4 months ago..whatever. I think it will be better for the company to put over that "big win" when they have a better timeslot where the non-smark can watch. Cause let's face it, 98% of people that actually watch TNA are smarks. I'm not 100% sure, but I would bet on it.

BUT...the problem here is, are they ever going to get a better timeslot? And when? And if they ever do get that timeslot, does this mean Jarrett is going to hold that Title until they do?

That's the scary part about this whole deal. We could actually see Jeff hold that Title for 5 more months or more.

But I loved his optimism about getting a much better timeslot and possibly going to Spike. He said it's eathier that or TNA is finished and I agree with him there. Hey. I hope they get a deal with Spike and I hope they are put on Monday Nights. We'll see.

The CyNick
04-15-2005, 08:58 PM
That whole theory about waiting for it is faulty logic.

When Hulk Hogan won the WWE Title for the first time, he had just come back to the company, and was immediately pushed to the top. The WWE didn't do Wrestlemania until year 2 of Hogan's reign, and it worked fine.

So, there's no reason why AJ Styles couldn't win the title now, and appease the fans they do have, to avoid the risk of losing them.

Plus, AJ has already won that title before, so its not like they'd be building for so long for his first win (kinda like the Red Sox, they fall short year after year and then the big win is sweet). But this would be like the Marlins winning the World Series, sure its a big deal, but its not that big, because they've won titles fairly recently.

Obviously Dusty isn't going to criticize Jarrett, and the decision to keep the title on him, but when the guy on top is driving fans away, its pretty hard to convince me that yo're building to something in a positive manner.

Of course the other thing is that TNA isn't really going anywhere, so none of this matters much.

Loose Cannon
04-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Yea, I mean I would rather see a new Champion definately if I cared about TNA anymore.

But I can see his point in a way. The way he was explaining it made it sound good I guess.

Still: Jarrett, Styles, Brown, DDP, Nash etc... not one of these guys as champion is going to do much for business anyway with the time slot and the 1hr crap fest they got each week.

The CyNick
04-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Ive never thought AJ Styles was the right guy to build the company around. If they were to get a great timesolt, I wouldn't count on his selling any tickets.

KayfabeMan
04-15-2005, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with CyNick.

KayfabeMan
04-15-2005, 09:55 PM
It might be a smart move to put the Title on DDP - even if just for a short time period. He may be the guy who can get TNA some main stream press that could / should help them a little bit (although if the booking doesn't change, nothing will matter at all).

Page is currently working on Rob Zombie's new film, along with Rosario Dawson, Danny Trejo, Natasha Lyonne, and quite a few others. He's also working on another film with Tom Sizemore I believe. With promotion for these films, and for his other non-NWATNA or wrestling projects, he could give the belt itself the publicity it needs at this point.

Just a thought that possibly could help TNA.

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 12:18 AM
I don't get it.

Waiting until you have a better timeslot (which may not happen) to put the belt on someone that might actually have some effect on ratings now, over a guy who turns people off from TNA? Yeah, let's hold off, I don't think we've aliented ALL of our fanbase yet.

If AJ's worth building TNA around, they should build it before they make such a jump. If he's not, then there's not much of a difference anyway. Seems like his logic fails in two directions.

PureHatred
04-16-2005, 12:48 AM
To be fair, you're asking for logic from a guy who was os upset at having Turner tell him to tone down the blood in WCW that -as a protest- he wrote a segment where the Road Warriors turned heel by shoving a spike into Rhodes' face spilling a ton of blood and gore on national TV.

Happy ending though: Rhodes got fired and the fans still cheered the Roadies.

PullMyFinger
04-16-2005, 12:50 AM
24wrestling.com
--------------------------------
Spike TV Requests Copies Of TNA Impact!; Major Deal?; More
Story posted by Andy Stevens on April 12, 2005
Following a meeting TNA officials (Jeff and Jerry Jarrett, Dixie Carter and David Sahadi) had with a mid-level Spike TV executive, the network called back on 3/29 and requested copies of "Impact."

TNA management felt it was a good sign, however, the general feeling is that even if TNA could do a 1.5 rating (and that has to be considered a long shot at best), the network would be better off running reruns of a show like "MyGyver" which does similar ratings. In this case, Spike TV would be further ahead to air reruns since it wouldn't cost the network for production, and would bring in better advertising revenue.

It should be noted that the meeting with Spike TV came about through a connection Dixie Carter has with someone that works for the network.

During a recent meeting with Fox Sports Net, Jarrett claimed he had also met with at least one other network besides Spike TV. As incentive to attract a better television deal, TNA is offering a partnership in the promotion.
-------------------------------------

The latest PWTorch newsletter reports that Spike TV is no longer interested in bringing in TNA and doesn't want to have anything to do with wrestling after WWE leaves. They are instead very interested in pushing UFC heavily on their network. More bad news for TNA is that the Destination-X show did only 25,000 buys, down from 35,000 the previous PPVs have been doing. And WAY below the 80,000 - 100,000 TNA needs each month just to break even. Panda is losing money at an alarming rate and talk is that they might be pulling out soon. Guys like Monty Brown, Kevin Nash, Sean Waltman and others are owed money. Talk is that Monty Brown and AJ Styles may be going to WWE in September when their contracts are up. These statements echo a lot of what Meltzer said in the latest Observer. This should be something very interesting to keep an eye on.

LK
04-16-2005, 06:23 AM
If what the guy above me saying is true then I think we can safely say goodbye to TNA

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 09:59 AM
24wrestling.com
--------------------------------
Spike TV Requests Copies Of TNA Impact!; Major Deal?; More
Story posted by Andy Stevens on April 12, 2005
Following a meeting TNA officials (Jeff and Jerry Jarrett, Dixie Carter and David Sahadi) had with a mid-level Spike TV executive, the network called back on 3/29 and requested copies of "Impact."

TNA management felt it was a good sign, however, the general feeling is that even if TNA could do a 1.5 rating (and that has to be considered a long shot at best), the network would be better off running reruns of a show like "MyGyver" which does similar ratings. In this case, Spike TV would be further ahead to air reruns since it wouldn't cost the network for production, and would bring in better advertising revenue.

It should be noted that the meeting with Spike TV came about through a connection Dixie Carter has with someone that works for the network.

During a recent meeting with Fox Sports Net, Jarrett claimed he had also met with at least one other network besides Spike TV. As incentive to attract a better television deal, TNA is offering a partnership in the promotion.
-------------------------------------

The latest PWTorch newsletter reports that Spike TV is no longer interested in bringing in TNA and doesn't want to have anything to do with wrestling after WWE leaves. They are instead very interested in pushing UFC heavily on their network. More bad news for TNA is that the Destination-X show did only 25,000 buys, down from 35,000 the previous PPVs have been doing. And WAY below the 80,000 - 100,000 TNA needs each month just to break even. Panda is losing money at an alarming rate and talk is that they might be pulling out soon. Guys like Monty Brown, Kevin Nash, Sean Waltman and others are owed money. Talk is that Monty Brown and AJ Styles may be going to WWE in September when their contracts are up. These statements echo a lot of what Meltzer said in the latest Observer. This should be something very interesting to keep an eye on.
OMG. Monty Brown in the WWE? :drool:

:shifty:

Anway, I think TNA would pull better ratings in a primetime slot, but can't blame Spike for not wanting to risk it. I mean, they have a standard of quality to uphold, with their macho programming like Star Trek: Deep Space 9, and MacMullet.

Much as I like Richard Dean Anderson, Macguyver's too much of a pussy to even carry a gun, dammit.

LK
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
JR: BAHGAWDTHEPOUNCESTONECOLDSHOULDERNOTMADEOFBBQSAUCE

Loose Cannon
04-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Yea, I heard Spike was interested in a weekly UFC show that would be like a Tuesday Night Fights.

TNA is pretty fucked right now and I wouldn't expect Lockdown to do no more than 25,000 buys eathier. Wouldn't be surprised if it does 20,000

PullMyFinger
04-16-2005, 11:20 AM

Anway, I think TNA would pull better ratings in a primetime slot, but can't blame Spike for not wanting to risk it. I mean, they have a standard of quality to uphold, with their macho programming like Star Trek: Deep Space 9, and MacMullet.

Much as I like Richard Dean Anderson, Macguyver's too much of a pussy to even carry a gun, dammit.
hahahahahaha, yeah, I couldn't believe Spike was boasting about MyGyver LOL

Anyhow, LC, yeah...unless if another network is interested in them (perhaps an extension with Fox under FX????)

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 11:25 AM
hahahahahaha, yeah, I couldn't believe Spike was boasting about MyGyver LOL

Anyhow, LC, yeah...unless if another network is interested in them (perhaps an extension with Fox under FX????)
McGyver isn't even a primetime show. I can't imagine they're gonna compare something that's on at like 11 AM (I dunnowhen it's ACTUALLy on), to TNA?

Well, until they fire Dusty...:shifty:

If they got it on FX or another network at a good slot, I'd prolly watch.

PullMyFinger
04-16-2005, 11:37 AM
McGyver isn't even a primetime show. I can't imagine they're gonna compare something that's on at like 11 AM (I dunnowhen it's ACTUALLy on), to TNA?

Well, until they fire Dusty...:shifty:

If they got it on FX or another network at a good slot, I'd prolly watch.
hahahahahahah I know, the comparison of the two is just funny...Spike is talking as if their shows are any better than TNA, as shitty as TNA may be, the shows Spike has to offer are just plain terrible.

Yeah, I'd watch too if they had it on a primetime slot. The Friday afternoon slot sucks!

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 11:52 AM
hahahahahahah I know, the comparison of the two is just funny...Spike is talking as if their shows are any better than TNA, as shitty as TNA may be, the shows Spike has to offer are just plain terrible.

Yeah, I'd watch too if they had it on a primetime slot. The Friday afternoon slot sucks!
Yeah. I'm not gonna say TNA is a great program, but Spike really can't be putting anything above them at this point. Their primetime shows SUCK ASS.

PullMyFinger
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Like that new show with William Shatner? LOL

The only show they have that's good is Most Extreme Challenge....its so funny.

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 12:03 PM
sucks to be TNA

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Like that new show with William Shatner? LOL

The only show they have that's good is Most Extreme Challenge....its so funny.
At least the Shat show is a miniseries. Not like a full show. It's stupid, but it could be worse.

MXC never did anything for me.

KingofOldSchool
04-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Monty Brown vs. Scotty 2 Hotty

The Worm vs. The POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNNNNCEEE!

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I want to see the POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNCE vs the SPEAR!

Edge vs Monty.

PullMyFinger
04-16-2005, 12:37 PM
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNCE on Triple H!

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNCE on Triple H!
He wouldn't sell it. Not that anyone should, but he's unprofessional.

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 12:43 PM
just to see the Pounce in WWE would be awesome.

I mean POOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNCCCCE!

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 12:46 PM
just to see the Pounce in WWE would be awesome.

I mean POOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNCCCCE!
Hey, if people like seeing Scotty's Worm, imagine how much they'll enjoy it when a black guy whips his finisher out. ;)

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey, if people like seeing Scotty's Worm, imagine how much they'll enjoy it when a black guy whips his finisher out. ;)

:naughty:

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 02:06 PM
What are you saying, slim?

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 02:19 PM
What are you saying, slim?

nothing :shifty:

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't know if you'r aware of this, but you're AFRICAN AMERICAN.

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know if you'r aware of this, but you're AFRICAN AMERICAN.

:eek:

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Ooop. My mostake.

SuperSlim
04-16-2005, 05:25 PM
there goes my chance to get in the KKK now. :(

Kane Knight
04-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Not true. Rent Blazing Saddles and learn how.