PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers and sports

Watson
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I've noticed that almost every single wrestler who has ever made it big has either played sports in high school, college, or both. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any wrestlers that didn't play high school or college sports. It seems as if it's a prerequisite or something. Most of them have played either football, basketball, or were amateur wrestlers in school. So does anybody know of any wrestlers that have made it big in the business and haven't previously played any other sports?? No sports at all. No football, no amateur wrestling, nothing. Just pro wrestling. I can't think of any at all.

The Naitch
04-15-2005, 04:08 PM
RVD was part of the Flavor Country crew. By that I mean the group of teens who hung out under the football bleachers smoking dank

Just John
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah I wonder that alot, I know that William regal got into wrestling by his grandfather (or just his dad I cant remember) but his....whatever used to wrestle at a circus or somthing and once william regal got involved so...

it's not much help but its all I can think of kinda hard question though. but I'll look it up for you

The Naitch
04-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Spike Dudley was a teacher before going into wrestling. I'm not sure if he played any sports prior

Lamuella
04-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah I wonder that alot, I know that William regal got into wrestling by his grandfather (or just his dad I cant remember) but his....whatever used to wrestle at a circus or somthing and once william regal got involved so...

it's not much help but its all I can think of kinda hard question though. but I'll look it up for you

Regal, if I remember correctly, idid some shoot wrestling in Wigan. That definitely counts as a sport.

Gouda
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Christy. :shifty:

Disturbed316
04-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Eddie Guerrero has only ever done wrestling I believe.

LK
04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Don't think Foley did anything

Just John
04-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Regal, if I remember correctly, idid some shoot wrestling in Wigan. That definitely counts as a sport.

oh all right then. Also Naitch george 'the animal' steele was a teacher before wwe/wwf days.

Cruiserweight 3:16
04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Foley did Lacrosse (sp?)

Gertner
04-15-2005, 05:55 PM
hardcore holly(auto racing is not a sport)

PureHatred
04-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Listen, not to be rude or whatever, but are yo surprised by this, really?

"Oh my god, it turns out that you have to be a pretty decent athlete to be a successful wrestler!!!!"

Rob
04-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Maybe it's because they are all athletes before getting into the sport that helps them succeed.

DaveBrawl
04-16-2005, 08:05 PM
auto racing is not a sport

:nono:

James Steele
04-16-2005, 08:57 PM
:rofl:

I live in Texas, so I should be sterotypically offended but I hate NASCAR so I don't care. However, my Uncle Bubba is coming from the BBQ Ranch to kick your ass. :shifty:

Gertner
04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
lol making one left turn for 2 hours is not a sport. but i'm not getting into this arguement again.

DaveBrawl
04-16-2005, 10:38 PM
If you can say Golf is a sport then racing is a sport, but I'm not gonna get into it either.

Gertner
04-17-2005, 12:40 AM
When did I say golf was?

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 01:32 AM
I didn't mean strictly you, I meant everyone who says racing isn't a sport in general.

Gertner
04-17-2005, 10:14 AM
at least in golf you have to walk 18 holes.

Rob
04-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Golf is a sport.

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I think so too, but I was just trying to make a point.

Gertner
04-17-2005, 04:55 PM
golf is more of a sport than auto racing.

Xero
04-17-2005, 05:24 PM
If NASCAR was a 'sport', wouldn't that make anyone who drives a car an 'athlete'? Or do you have to have 'Tide' written on your shirt for it to count?

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 08:21 PM
1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively, a particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

Racing fits all of this.

James Steele
04-17-2005, 08:38 PM
:rofl: You really didn't need to prove your status as "TPWW's resident redneck!" but with your valient defense of NASCAR™ I decree that you are "TPWW's resident uber-redneck!"

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
YAY :D

Gertner
04-17-2005, 09:12 PM
lol in that case Chess is technically a sport.

McDoogle
04-17-2005, 09:32 PM
a sport doesn't mean you have to be fit and buff. It can be a mental game as well so yea chess is a sport.

Gertner
04-17-2005, 09:39 PM
this definition needs to be changed.

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 10:05 PM
What most people think of sport is actually a game.

James Steele
04-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Curling (on ice) is the only "sport" I have a problem with.

DaveBrawl
04-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey those broom guys do a lot of work. :shifty: :D

Gonzo
04-18-2005, 01:46 AM
I was watching that on ESPN the other day for a bit, that shit looks hard.

Disturbed316
04-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Not this arguement again.

Gertner
04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
lol like i said, i'm not argueing this again.

IT's not a sport. There last time!!

Corndad
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
lol like i said, i'm not argueing this again.

IT's not a sport. There last time!!

Because obviously again you were proven wrong.

PureHatred
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
You guys are arguing the definition of sport when this is more about the definition of the word "athlete."

You can call NASCAR a sport, but the drivers just aren't the same level of athlete as the people who play football, futbol, basketball, track, etc. on the prfessional level.

Gertner
04-18-2005, 03:42 PM
NASCAR drivers are not athlete. damn it, i keep getting sucked in. and it's not a sport, it's a competittion.

Watson
04-18-2005, 04:13 PM
NASCAR drivers are not athlete. damn it, i keep getting sucked in. and it's not a sport, it's a competittion.

You really are a fucking moron, aren't you?

Gertner
04-18-2005, 06:06 PM
lol yeah. sitting on your ass while an engine does the work is really a sport lol

DaveBrawl
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
For a man who wasn't gonna get into it, you sure won't let it die.

Gertner
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
because I fuckin hate stupid hicks that think this piece of shit is a sport.

DaveBrawl
04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
You mean the way we hate ignorant whiners like you who complain about it just because you don't like it?

Corndad
04-19-2005, 12:47 AM
If you've never done it, or even attended an event, you have no where to talk. You have your opinion, we have ours. We arent even trying to put it up there with say football (where you take a break after every play), baseball (Where you dont play the whole time), or any other sport. I bet those 2 sports wouldnt be debated. I wouldnt debate them, but atleast in racing you have to do it for what usually 3 or 4 hours straight, usually in the hottest weather in a fire suit. Now I know the response will be. "Nascars dumb.. its not a sport." but before ya write it atleast think bout what you are saying. thank you.

Watson
04-19-2005, 12:50 AM
because I fuckin hate stupid hicks that think this piece of shit is a sport.
Uhhh, dumbass, just because someone watches NASCAR it doesn't mean they're a "hick". Just because you're not from the South and know nothing about it doesn't mean you can say that everyone who watches NASCAR is a sterotypical redneck. If you're that fucking shallow then you're going to have a hard time making friends outside of your own hometown. No wonder your top priority in life is posting on a fucking message forum 24/7. :nono:

Gertner
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
If you've never done it, or even attended an event, you have no where to talk. You have your opinion, we have ours. We arent even trying to put it up there with say football (where you take a break after every play), baseball (Where you dont play the whole time), or any other sport. I bet those 2 sports wouldnt be debated. I wouldnt debate them, but atleast in racing you have to do it for what usually 3 or 4 hours straight, usually in the hottest weather in a fire suit. Now I know the response will be. "Nascars dumb.. its not a sport." but before ya write it atleast think bout what you are saying. thank you.

So if i sit in my car with all the windows up in 90 degree heat would that be a sport?

Gertner
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
also, you're sitting down in a fucking car as opposed to running around, so don't even start comparing it to that

DaveBrawl
04-20-2005, 11:55 PM

just

Gertner
04-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Uhhh, dumbass, just because someone watches NASCAR it doesn't mean they're a "hick". Just because you're not from the South and know nothing about it doesn't mean you can say that everyone who watches NASCAR is a sterotypical redneck. If you're that fucking shallow then you're going to have a hard time making friends outside of your own hometown. No wonder your top priority in life is posting on a fucking message forum 24/7. :nono:

I know enough that they award positions based on past performance aka provisionals. using NASCAR logic the L.A Lakers should get into the playoffs because they went to the finals last year. I know a shitload about Auto Racing. Nice try though.

Gertner
04-21-2005, 12:20 AM
I know enough that they award positions based on past performance aka provisionals. using NASCAR logic the L.A Lakers should get into the playoffs because they went to the finals last year. I know a shitload about Auto Racing. Nice try though.
and btw, your point about not being a hick just because you watch it...... it doesn't help.

Watson
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Yep, you TRULY are a fucking moron. You should put that under your avatar because it's alot more believable than your current title.

As far as the thing about provisionals goes, every SPORT has it's own set of rules and whether you agree with them or not is irrelevant because rules are rules. That's just how it is. Every sport has a rule that somebody doesn't agree with or thinks is BS but that doesn't mean it's not a sport and how the Hell are you gonna compare the logic of NASCAR to the logic of basketball, it's two different sports with different sets of rules.

The Mackem
04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Take it to the Sports forum

Lamuella
04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
So if i sit in my car with all the windows up in 90 degree heat would that be a sport?

if you're trying to so something very complicated that takes physical exertion, yes.

I don't think you're appreciating the physical condition that, say,formula 1 drivers need to be in. People like Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard train hard constantly to get in the kind of physical shape where they can operate a motor vehicle at those speeds with not just accuracy but competitiveness.

Let me put it this way: if you are a pilot in the air force you can expect to spend most of your active time sitting in a cockpit just operating controls. By your logic, pilots don't have to be in good physical shape, right?

so why do they go through such gruelling physical training?

Gertner
04-21-2005, 09:35 PM
if you're trying to so something very complicated that takes physical exertion, yes.

I don't think you're appreciating the physical condition that, say,formula 1 drivers need to be in. People like Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard train hard constantly to get in the kind of physical shape where they can operate a motor vehicle at those speeds with not just accuracy but competitiveness.

Let me put it this way: if you are a pilot in the air force you can expect to spend most of your active time sitting in a cockpit just operating controls. By your logic, pilots don't have to be in good physical shape, right?

so why do they go through such gruelling physical training?

hmmm schumacher's car isn't as good as it was last year. how many races has he won?? hmmmmmmm...... maybe it's the fact the the CAR MEANS THE WHOLE THING>

Gertner
04-21-2005, 09:35 PM
and mackem, this belongs in the discussion page not the sports forum since it's not a sport.

DaveBrawl
04-22-2005, 02:36 AM
You'd be surprised how athletic racecar drivers are. Bobby Labonte goes on 20 mile bike rides regularly, and Kyle Petty and Michael Waltrip just ran the Las Vegas Marathon. Michael finished in just under 4 hours I believe it was. Mark Martin is perhaps the most physical, he is constantly working out.

Gertner
04-22-2005, 09:57 AM
that doesn't mean they are athletes. It's proper nutrition to keep in shape.

Lamuella
04-22-2005, 11:00 AM
hmmm schumacher's car isn't as good as it was last year. how many races has he won?? hmmmmmmm...... maybe it's the fact the the CAR MEANS THE WHOLE THING>

hmm schumacher and barichello drive identical cars. who wins more races?? hmmmmmmm...... maybe it's the fact that it's a COMBINATION OF CAR AND DRIVER just as horseracing is a combination of horse and jockey.

Gertner
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
The car means ALOT more than the driver

Lamuella
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
The car means ALOT more than the driver

so why does Michael Schumacher make so much money?

If the car means so much more than the driver, why spend so much money on a driver when you could be spending that money on the car?

Why is Michael Schumacher more of a celebrity than Ross Braun?

face facts: Michael Schumacher has won races for every team he has been on. He's won championships in karting, Formula Ford (winning 9 out of ten races in his first year) Formula Three, and Formula One. The very first time he went onto the track in a professional event he qualified in seventh place in a Jordan, at a point where Jordan counted their lucky stars if they made it above tenth. To put this in perspective, the other Jordan in the race qualified eleventh. In the previous race the Jordans qualified at eleventh and seventeeth respectively. He gained championship points on his second ever formula 1 race. He's won races in crappy cars, cars from the previous year, cars that flat out didn't work.

It's insane to suggest that the human element in Formula 1 is minimal. Saying it forcefully doesn't make it any more true. The driver is a part of a team, granted, and no driver has ever claimed that they team doesn't come into play in their successes. Schumacher is above all a company man. He talks about himself as a member of the Ferarri team. THat said, he is the member of the team who is in control during the race. He puts his body on the line in a tremendous display of skill and ability. For you to say he's not an athlete is deeply insulting.

Gertner
04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
it is minmal, his car isn't as good as it was last year.. hmmmmm 0 wins.

Lamuella
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm absolutely certain it's possible to make conclusive statements about ability based on three races, two of which he didn't finish because of engine problems.

that said, I'm never going to convince you. You've obviously made your mind up, and the more I reply to you the more we'll derail this thread.

In the end, I think it's a sport and you don't. Let's talk about something else.

Gertner
04-22-2005, 05:17 PM
The McLaren debacle of a few years ago should prove my point.

and i agree. let's talk about something else