PDA

View Full Version : Montréal Screwjob discussion

Hitman84
04-26-2005, 06:52 AM
I recently watched the Confidential episode about the Screwjob (for the first time, I have to add) and I marked out. :$ I am embarrassed to say that I never knew HBK was in on it. :wtf: The only 'evidence' I had seen at the time was Wrestling with Shadows, and various reports floating round the internet.

Bret Hart: Shawn, you weren't in on that?

Shawn Michaels: No! As God is my witness.

After the match, HBK was throwing himself around and swearing, as though he was the one who had been screwed! Considering I now know he was in on it, I have to say two things:

1) He's a bloody good actor!
2) I like the guy even less.

To be honest, the episode of Confidential surprised me a little. I always thought I knew a lot about this incident - I even wrote a paper on it when I was at school.

Did any of you know about this before the Confidential episode aired? Or am I just way less informed than I thought I was?

Dave Youell
04-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Please don't start this. I know your new, but this is old news and bores the living piss out of me.

All parties were responsible in one way or another and that event shocked the wrestling world. If someone could just post what Meltzer said on the subject and leave it at that :y:

wwe2222
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
let it go...it was 8 years ago

Xero
04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
This must be the most talked about subject on every wrestling forum/chat/whatever ever conceived since 1997...

McLegend
04-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Please don't start this. I know your new, but this is old news and bores the living piss out of me.

All parties were responsible in one way or another and that event shocked the wrestling world. If someone could just post what Meltzer said on the subject and leave it at that :y:
Dave Meltzer's report on Montreal (http://www.brethart.com/facts.asp)

Dave Youell
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Dave Meltzer's report on Montreal (http://www.brethart.com/facts.asp)
:y:

Splaya
04-26-2005, 11:14 AM
This must be the most talked about subject on every wrestling forum/chat/whatever ever conceived since 1997...

I think "Why the hell is HHH in the main event scene" and "Why is HHH going to get the belt back" are catching up :nono:

dalegendkilla
04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
What exactly is the Montreal Screw Job? I don't have a clue what it is?

Jorgha
04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I have not seen that episode of Confidential. I didn't even know they were still showing it. However I did see a two hour thing on Brett Hart that was on A&E Biography (first and only time I have watched A&E) on Brett Hart. This is the only reason I am "discussing" the screw job. I don't know how many people have actually seen this.

I swear to you, the last 45 mins or so of that two hour program was dedicated to the screw job. Everyone was involved in it, and what got me was Brett didn't understand his part in it. He really didn't understand how he was guilty of anything. He thought he was innocent in all of it and that it was all Vince and Shawn. It didn't help his perception that his wife was going on and on about what an ass Vince was and how she felt Vince was always an ass to him and everything. I think that she fueled a lot of how Bret felt about the entire thing. Brett really wanted everything to go how he wanted it to and that wasn't going to happen.

That said I don't think that Shawn was as guilt as Bret or Vince in the entire thing. Shawn just happened to have been in the story line at the time, and it could have been someone else in that storyline and they would have been accused of screwing Brett. It just happened to be Shawn. In this Biography thing Shawn actually said he was happy with whatever Vince decided in the situation. So when Shawn told Brett he wasn't involved, he wasn't involved in any of the decisions on the entire thing, he was just basically Vince's pawn in the entire situation.

Now all that said, the screw job has been discussed into the ground, everyone is sick of talking about and we all wish it would just die. Out of all the things in the WWE/WWF, either good, bad, or just plain stupid, this is the one thing that everyone remembers. Drives me nuts.

PureHatred
04-26-2005, 01:54 PM

PureHatred
04-26-2005, 01:58 PM
What exactly is the Montreal Screw Job? I don't have a clue what it is?

What are you, fucking retarded? Dave Youell and legend both posted a link to an entire web page dedicated to explaining it. Read some.

Unless you're being sarcastic and i'm just oblivious.

Lamuella
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
looking this up in the Wrestling Devil's Dictionary...

Montreal Screwjob: A group of people beating a patch of ground where, five years ago, there had been a dead horse. The horse died in 1997.

LK
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Would rather not go on about it again, it's been discussed enough in the past.

James Steele
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
LET IT THE FUCK GO!

I am going to leave it at that. It was in 1997. We all make mistakes. Remember the Spice Girls?

dalegendkilla
04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah I was being sarcastic cuz the Montreal Screw Job is mentioned like...every..ten minutes?

Savio
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Vince didn't Screw bret, Lita screwed bret.

Zen v.W.o.
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
She wishes.

More like Sunny screwed Bret.

As for the guy a few posts up, making ill informed comments about the Hitman through a documentary, read the report. I dont wanna have to go through this again.

And it's Bret. Not Brett.

Savio
04-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Bert?

Zen v.W.o.
04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I've seen Bert name dropped a few times here and there. Bert Hart. He must have been overlooked.

adamwwe
04-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Bert?

Yes... and he'll be returning soon with his old tag team partner... Ernie. :lol:

My thoughts on the infamous Montreal screwjob?

1) Let it go.
2) What a freakin' work. Yeah, I said it.

redoneja
04-26-2005, 08:34 PM
It was a damn shame. The Meltzer article is great for those who haven't read it. I don't want to get drawn into the past, so all I will say is that I wish that Bret and Vince could come to terms so Bret could have the sendoff he DESERVES.

Jorgha
04-27-2005, 12:45 AM
She wishes.

More like Sunny screwed Bret.

As for the guy a few posts up, making ill informed comments about the Hitman through a documentary, read the report. I dont wanna have to go through this again.

And it's Bret. Not Brett.

Zen, I am not a guy! Geeze!
I apologize about the spelling, sorry. It happens.
The documentary was really kind of interesting because it wasn't sanctioned by the WWE. Did you ever see it?

Now, as for Bert...he would be (or would have been) interesting in the WWE. (insert Socko or Head joke here)

Just for shits and grins here is a link about the biography:
A&E Bio on Bret review (http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-48C2-17F87B63-39D76B6C-prod3)

Zen v.W.o.
04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Zen, I am not a guy! Geeze!
I apologize about the spelling, sorry. It happens.
The documentary was really kind of interesting because it wasn't sanctioned by the WWE. Did you ever see it?

Now, as for Bert...he would be (or would have been) interesting in the WWE. (insert Socko or Head joke here)

Just for shits and grins here is a link about the biography:
A&E Bio on Bret review (http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-48C2-17F87B63-39D76B6C-prod3)

Did you purposely type Bert? Sorry I thought you may have been a guy. Always nice to see more females around these parts. Welcome.

That documentary has been around for a while yeah, I have it. It's good. It wasn't about the wwe though, it was a canadian film group who wanted to show people what it was like being a wrestler for a certain amount of time. Bret is big up here so they wanted to do it on him. They just got lucky with the screwjob part, that they were around for that.

Anyways, I enjoyed the doc, and thought it was good stuff.

Jorgha
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Yea, that time I typed Bert on purpose.
LOL! That really tells you what I think about the screwjob though...Bert, Brett, Bret, Brat... I am just sick and tire of hearing of about it. Like a friend of mine would ask me if I explained the entire screw job to her "Are people upset becuase they weren't screwed too?" Yea, something like that.

I just don't know how many people actually seen that documentary. I think it was better than anything that the WWE would have put out because it was, more or less, from an unbiased third person. I just remember when I told people I was watching Bret Hart on A&E all anyone said to me was "You actually watch A&E?!?" Never mind Bret Hart was on. LOL!

First Bret was screwed.
Then Matt was screwed.
Who's going to step up to the plate next?
We can add the "Screw Job Club" next to the "Vince McMahon Kiss My Ass Club" and see who gets more members....

Hitman84
04-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I know I started this thread, but I am gonna ask the mods to close it. I just wanted to have a discussion abt an incident that interests me. I am relatively new to the forums and didn't realise that t had been talked about so much and was starting to annoy people.

My final comment on the matter: Screw Michaels, Bret forever!

Savio
04-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Bret = Blah

Nervous Ferret
04-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah I was being sarcastic cuz the Montreal Screw Job is mentioned like...every..ten minutes?rofl shut the fuck up, you had no clue.
ADmit itttttttttt

Lamuella
04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
and in conclusion, I have to give my support to Sean Michaels.

Seriously, that guy is so well hung that it's intimidating

olympic hitman
04-27-2005, 05:06 PM
It seems as though everyone LOVES to keep this topic going, even though it's basically a dead issue;

I will give my view on the issue since I'm new to the board and this is the first time I've replied to this issue;

I think both sides were to blame. Vince should've done business a little better. You don't "screw" one of your best employees and repay their loyalty with a situation like the 'Montreal Screwjob'. I also realize Bret's expectations of still being the WWF Champion near the end of his WWF tenure while in talks with WCW was ridiculous. Vince had to do what was best for the WWF as a whole. So, giving Michaels the WWF Title made the most sense business-wise. Bret refusing to lose in Montreal would be like Flair refusing to lose in Charlotte, NC[to steal a line from Flair's "To Be The Man" book]. It made no sense and proved Bret to be a little selfish. Both should've made a comprimise and we wouldn't even be having this discussion either now or back in 97.....

Tornado
04-27-2005, 05:11 PM
It has been said MUTIPLE GOD DAMN TIMES in this thread, LET IT FUCKING DIE.