PDA

View Full Version : Would the American Bad Ass work today?

Xero
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I was watching the Mick Foley DVD, and it got me thinking about the Undertaker... If Mark Calloway had come in now, or even when he returned at Judgment Day 2000 in the Iron Man match, as the American Bad Ass (and never was the Undertaker), would it have worked and would it have gotten over? Also, let's just say, for argument's sake, that he's in his prime when he debuts.

I think it may have worked. The problem would be that he would have nothing to back him up when he goes on about his 'yard', etc etc, which is one of the reasons he was (arguably) over as the American Bad Ass.

RockNRoll
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I actually like the American Bad Ass charactor because it's closer to the way Mark really is in real life.

All this super natural bullshit is childish to me.

Kane Knight
05-06-2005, 04:39 PM
If he was in the prime of his career, had no prior history as the Undertaker, and dropped the refs (Old School, etc). I think he could possibly pull it off.

What killed him is more that people wanted Taker, not Mark Calloway.

I even think "My Yard" would work. Especially if he put some half-finished vehciles up on blocks in the ring. ;) But seriously, look at the people who come in with big talk. Angle, HEI-DEN-REICH, Masters (The only time I'll ever compare those two to Angle), and there have certainly been others. These people are full of themsselves and often full of shit. TABA could walk into the ring and proclaim it to be his yard. You could even have a backstory of him being a big time brawler, a streetfighter, or a guy who dominated indy feds.

Of course, that's assuming he was in good shape instead of being a former zombie, out of shape, ego bloated hick.

NoRoolz
05-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I could see someone like Matt Morgan using this gimmick, I think it needs to be a big guy, Nathan Jones would have been cool too I think.

TW Mangrove
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Mean Mark Callous would have been better. For those of you too young to remember it was his gimmick in wcw when he was in the Skyscrapers

M. Banana
05-06-2005, 05:24 PM
No

Watson
05-06-2005, 05:53 PM
No

Watson
05-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Mean Mark Callous would have been better. For those of you too young to remember it was his gimmick in wcw when he was in the Skyscrapers
You're kidding right? There's no way in Hell "Mean" Mark Callous could get over today. There was nothing to that character. He was just another big dude in black tights with absolutely no personality whatsoever. The only thing that made him stand out then was that big red mullet and those bug eyes (which coincidentally Dan Spivey had too).

As far as the American Bad Ass character goes, I don't think it would have gotten over had it been anybody but Mark Calloway and that's because people know him as the Phenom. The biker gimmick just wouldn't have worked if Calloway didn't have the Undertaker gimmick to work off of. Biker gimmicks on their own are bland and rarely get over. Just ask DOA. :lol:

M. Banana
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
No

Rammsteinmad
05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I actually like the American Bad Ass charactor because it's closer to the way Mark really is in real life.

All this super natural bullshit is childish to me.

TapOut
05-06-2005, 09:42 PM
2002 Heel Taker was close enough to Mean Mark, so that would work.

BTW, 2002 heel Taker was THE MAN. Funny as hell ("say "What!" if you like to sleep with your sister..") and meaner than shit. He was awesome.

I think he could have gotten over, even if he was never The Deadman. Although, it would have required better booking and good stories: he wouldn't have been able to do it on gimmick alone like he was with The Deadman.

TW Mangrove
05-06-2005, 09:47 PM
You're kidding right? There's no way in Hell "Mean" Mark Callous could get over today. There was nothing to that character. He was just another big dude in black tights with absolutely no personality whatsoever. The only thing that made him stand out then was that big red mullet and those bug eyes (which coincidentally Dan Spivey had too).

As far as the American Bad Ass character goes, I don't think it would have gotten over had it been anybody but Mark Calloway and that's because people know him as the Phenom. The biker gimmick just wouldn't have worked if Calloway didn't have the Undertaker gimmick to work off of. Biker gimmicks on their own are bland and rarely get over. Just ask DOA. :lol:

you are forgetting the power of the heart punch

Champion of Europa
05-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I forgot how much I loved 2002 Mean Ass Taker.

KillerWolf
05-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I forgot how much I loved 2002 Mean Ass Taker.
thats what i keep trying to say. move him to raw as Red Devil, and we'll forget the whole Phenom '04 garbage ever happened.

Kane Knight
05-07-2005, 08:37 PM
thats what i keep trying to say. move him to raw as Booger Red, and we'll forget the whole Phenom '04 garbage ever happened.

M. Banana
05-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Phenom who?

Executioner
05-07-2005, 10:39 PM
whatever, the best form of the Undertaker was the Corporate Ministry Undertaker. Everyone hated him because the CM would always bail him out. Plus the Corporate Ministry music kicks ass! (the real theme, not the one off of WWF Anthology).

Executioner
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
oh does any one wanna know where they can get the corporate ministry's unreleased theme (the one with shane o'mac's evil laughing) along with other unreleased themes, go to http://download.35mb.com/dlomyhero

olympic hitman
05-08-2005, 02:03 AM
The "American Badass" persona of Taker's was some of his best work IMO. It was closer to Mark's real-life attitude and seemed to get over well enough.

The problem was Taker was his own worst enemy. People still remembered his past as the "Phenom" and remembered some of the incredible things he done while in that gimmick. Most people prefer that version of Taker. The "Bad Ass" gimmick was better because it allowed him to talk more and say things he couldn't say while in the whole "Dead Man" Taker gimmick.

His 2002 heel run was just an example of that potential. I think they turned him face too soon and didn't let his heel turn fully work. They just assumed the heel turn wasn't as favorable and turned him back to a face. Although I find his current old school Taker meets the BikerTaker to be ok, I still say the "American Bad Ass" was the best work of his career. Especially his matches against Angle and his RAW match against Jeff Hardy where he chokeslammed Hardy off the ladder. The was one of the best top of the ladder spots I've seen.

VicJericho
05-08-2005, 02:29 AM
THE SOUPBONES!

Jeff Hardy grew into a man after that ladder match, too bad he was burnt out on the WWE Schedule

KillerWolf
05-08-2005, 09:44 AM
The "American Badass" persona of Taker's was some of his best work IMO. It was closer to Mark's real-life attitude and seemed to get over well enough.

The problem was Taker was his own worst enemy. People still remembered his past as the "Phenom" and remembered some of the incredible things he done while in that gimmick. Most people prefer that version of Taker. The "Bad Ass" gimmick was better because it allowed him to talk more and say things he couldn't say while in the whole "Dead Man" Taker gimmick.

His 2002 heel run was just an example of that potential. I think they turned him face too soon and didn't let his heel turn fully work. They just assumed the heel turn wasn't as favorable and turned him back to a face. Although I find his current old school Taker meets the BikerTaker to be ok, I still say the "American Bad Ass" was the best work of his career. Especially his matches against Angle and his RAW match against Jeff Hardy where he chokeslammed Hardy off the ladder. The was one of the best top of the ladder spots I've seen.
i agree with most of what you've said here. the thing is once he dropped the dead man gimmick, reverting back to it just doesnt work.

Kane Knight
05-08-2005, 10:55 AM
His 2002 heel run was just an example of that potential. I think they turned him face too soon and didn't let his heel turn fully work. They just assumed the heel turn wasn't as favorable and turned him back to a face.
It wasn't favorable, they just didn't get why.

M. Banana
05-08-2005, 11:00 AM
They be slow.