PDA

View Full Version : Should College Athletes be Paid?

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm doing a persuasive speech in English and this is the topic I chose.

I am against it just for very odvious reasons. Was wondering what you all thought.

AND IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOWS WHERE YOU CAN FIND GOOD ARTICLES THIS PLEASE SEND ME THE LINK!

Buzzkill
05-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Absolutely not.

Zen v.W.o.
05-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Hell no. You're just going to school, it's not a job, you are not employed. That basic in my mind.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-18-2005, 11:01 PM
At the sametime, look at what the Michigan football team pulls in (just an example) 100,000 seat Stadium filled every game, I know football is a costly sport but there is still a profit and somebody is getting rich off these players. Whatever though they do get tons of free shit. I don't think they should be paid, but its not a "no way should they be paid" type feeling.

Full scholarship players are pretty much getting paid though, they get the tuition, room and board, books, food, and all that shit. Plus if the team is sponsored by Nike or whatever they can get shit from them too. I wouldn't mind being a full scholarship football player. I know for the major sports its like this, but I'm not sure about the less popular/less revenue generating sports. I think thats the way it should be though, since football, basketball etc draw the most money they should get the most "stuff" in my opinion.

Apprentice
05-18-2005, 11:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/050317&univLogin02=stateChanged

Gertner
05-18-2005, 11:27 PM
no, cause this would lead into "Why should a football player get paid more than a swimmer". The scholarship is more than enough

Innovator
05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
well they get money anyways

Kane Knight
05-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Hell no.

BCWWF
05-19-2005, 04:10 AM
No, and my reasoning was lost when my PC decided to do some automatic updates and restart. Thats why I use an Apple.

The Outlaw
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Depends on what you mean by paid. The only thing I would even consider is like incentives and whatnot. But that's even a stretch. Contracts are a no go though...

BCWWF
05-21-2005, 02:33 AM
People are under the impression that athletic departments are just overflowing with money but really they aren't. Yeah football and basketball bring in the dough, but the other 15 sports are pure costs. I don't think there is enough money to pay the college athletes, and if there was it would simply turn into a game of who offers the most money. So whatever college had the money would get all the best players just by default.

That being said, if you are on full scholarship and live off campus, you get a monthly check, usually between 700-1000 dollars, depending on how much living is. Basically, they give you more then enough money for food and rent, my friend who is on full ride for track and field will have at least 200 left over each month next year. Thats about as much as any job could pay them, not to mention they aren't paying for school.

The Outlaw
05-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Some thoughts from some football players I know...

"I feel that we should get something. Some player need to receive some sort of money during the course of a school year. Our schedules are so demanding that we really don't have time for anything except athletics and school work. We are asked to be a "normal" student plus deal with meetings, workouts, practices, and ect. Its hard........real hard. No other student is ever asked to perform a chemistry experiment before a crowd of 80,000 people at Bryant-Denny or even 30,000 people at Legion Feild. The ball players at UA and other SEC schools are viewed as "gods" but when they're struggling noone can help them. Their was a linebacker at UCLA who was an All-American that went on a L.A radio station and talked about how he couldn't buy things like food, or even take a girl out to the movies. A couple of fans decided to help him out and he got suspended for a few games for recieving improper benefits. This is whats wrong with college sports. We give 18 year olds all this hype and press and paint them to be the savior of our teams but that same kid can't buy a pizza. Take a look at all of the Alabama paintings, pictures, shirts, and all of the other merchandise that is created because of sports. If it wasnt for sports noone would buy those items, if it wasnt for sports noone would yell 'Roll Tide, "War Eagle, " Go Blazers', or any other cheers. Sports gives opportunities to people and open doors to some individuals that wouldn't have those chances if it wasnt for their athletic abilities. Some kids who college presidents wouldn't even touch are given a chance based on athletic ability. Look at all of the internet sites, t.v stations, and magazines that glorify college athletics and athletes and we get no money or no cut out of all of that money being made off of your own athletic ability. CBS and ESPN U have signed multi-million dollar contracts to brodcast March Madness. Coaches are earning multi-million dollar contracts and multi-million dollar facilities are being constructed. I appreciate the opportunities given to me by Clemson and UAB and I'm taking advantage of my opportunities of getting an education, meeting new friends, learning about different cultures and ect but its sad to see teammates who can't afford a decent suit to wear on road games, or have to send their refund checks home to help out their families, or do the essentials. I feel that we should receive some sort of payment. Maybe a monthly or weekly check of maybe $150 dollars per week(that you're in school) or even $400 a month. Thats just my opinion."

"I could care less about the money. Right now I'm living a dream that millions of people would love to do. I got a chance to go to two great Universities and play the sport that I love. I get to travel and see places that most will never see(the inside of locker rooms and ect.). I've been inside Doak Campbell Stadium, and other legendary college stadiums. I got the chance to rub "Howard's Rock" and run "down the hill" on a Saturday night in Death Valley with 80,000 people screaming. I have been apart of amazing upsets (Florida State 03) and I have felt the love of an entire town called Clemson, South Carolina. I'm about to restart my career in a great city playing in a legendary stadium Legion Field. I get to play with a young program who is hungry to win. Athletics has done it all for me! Sometimes it feels that I should be paying the sport or the fans for even giving me the opportunity to show my athletic ability. I'm very greatful that Clemson and UAB see enough talent in me that they would make a investment worth thousands of dollars in me. Thats what these Universities are doing when they give scholarships, making an investment. I thank God for giving me the knowledge, the stregnth, and the wisdom to be able to play football and do well in the class room. Most college athletes don't see it like that. Its all about "me", start "me", pay "me", and its not about the team nor the people who put them in the position to play college sports. I feel extremely blessed to be able to play D-1 football, because millions dream of it but only a handfull get the chance. As a person I don't care about the money because I have been blessed with something that is priceless. Think about it. We get free air travel, stay in the finest hotels week in and week out, we eat at the finest places, and we get to play infront of thousands of people which is something that everyone dreams of."

"When you recieve a scholarship your scholarship is usually a set amount per semester. The amount that you will need to cover your tuition usually lower than the amount of money being payed per semester by your scholarship. Lets say that your scholarship pays $5,000 a semester but your tuition and all other cost come up to about $3,000 that means that $2,000 will be given to you and you do whatever you want with it. A refund check is simply the money thats left over after your fees are paid. For the people that I know and including myself most athletes refund checks on average are between $2,000-$3,000 per semester. To be honest some guys waste this money on clothes, rims, car stereos, jewlery, and ect. But some use it to pay rent on apartments, pay cell phone bills, pay for gas, food, and personal items"

Loose Cannon
05-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Just reading the first few lines of your first freind, he sounds really ignorant. Sounds like he's got it harder then the "unathlete" kid, who's in the honors program and working a part time job to pay for school. Don't even try to preach to me that athletes have it harder. Most athletes I know from college get cut so much slack from school

Loose Cannon
05-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh and my answer would be certainly not. If we're not going to pay the kids who are making the 4.0's and getting all the educational awards, that bring the school lots of money and recognition, then the athletes should not get paid

Loose Cannon
05-21-2005, 05:58 PM
sorry for the Triple Post, but just reading the 2nd players comments, he sounds like he's got the right perspective of things IMO.

BabyHugger
05-24-2005, 03:33 AM
Why is this even a topic for a report? I did not know it was a debate whether they should be paid, it is obvious they shouldnt be. What are you retarded, or did you have a list of topics to choose from. If you came up with this yourself I would fail you before you even made the speech.

Hired Hitman
05-24-2005, 06:36 AM
If the school gets a good profit after the players get paid then yes.

BCWWF
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Well apparently you are completely out of it, this has been a hot topic for years and it always will be.

Upon reading the three things Outlaw posted, they were all interesting and all showed a different perspective, but I still have the same opinion that the athletes should not be paid. I don't buy the whole "athletes struggle in school because they don't have any time" argument one bit. First of all, there are tutors for all division one athletes. Second of all, there are many athletes that do still get good grades, our No. 20 Mizzou softball team had at least two girls with 4.0's and if they can do it there is no reason why a football player shouldn't. That being said, there are football and basketball players who get good grades as well. Brad Smith, our quarterback, gets very good grades because he doesn't fuck around like the other guys. I know its a stereotype, but I know for a fact how many of our football players (and other athletes) live. The group of football players I know all live in a rundown house, smoke a lot of pot, have a lot of sex, and don't go to many classes. I know there are exceptions, but that is how a lot of these players are. I know a guy who can barely speak english. They bring in guys who have no reason to be at college except to play football, and you can't blame the guys if they don't succeed because they aren't prepared for it, but not everybody comes in to be model citizens and get an education, and that problem would even be worsened by adding salaries.

Rain Man
05-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Why is this even a topic for a report? I did not know it was a debate whether they should be paid, it is obvious they shouldnt be. What are you retarded, or did you have a list of topics to choose from. If you came up with this yourself I would fail you before you even made the speech.
No I had a list...And IM NOT RETARDED... :'( Just thought it was an easy topic..

It was between that and if should Marijuana should be llegal... :yes:

BCWWF
05-25-2005, 02:47 AM
:roll: