PDA

View Full Version : Kayfabe Corner 7: My Official Owen Hart Tribute Thread

KayfabeMan
05-23-2005, 03:55 AM
There are moments in one's life, both good and bad, that you never forget. No matter how much time passes or how many trivial things are erased from memory, you just don't lose them. I want to share a bit of both the good and the bad, in hopes that others will follow in suit with their memories - never to forget someone who is missed each and every day.

Growing up, I had watched Owen Hart wrestle on TV quite often. With The New Foundation, with High Energy, as the Blue Blazer, as 'Bret's little brother', and into his transformation into one of the best heels in the business. Owen always had something about him that just drew me into whatever character he was playing, heel or face, and had me hoping that he'd win in whatever match he was in.

In the early/mid-1990's, I used to go to the local WWF shows [which took place quite often here back then]. Showtime was 7 or 8 PM, however, my family would take me early in the day and we would wait outside for the wrestlers to arrive. Back then, you weren't separated by guardrails and security guards and such - and often the wrestlers parked in the same lot as the fans would. I remember one such time, shortly after Owen's heel turn on Bret in 1994, that we arrived early to meet wrestlers. Owen arrived along with Jim Neidhart, and instead of keeping kayfabe as most heels did at the time, they were both polite and took the time to sign autographs and talk with fans.

Owen was having a bit of fun with it, as while signing autographs and such he'd make heel like faces - as if he despised doing what he was doing. I remember walking right up next to him to hold my book up for his signature, and he signed it and looked down at me - I remember this the most, and will never forget it, as he seemed larger than life at the time, being so young - and he smiled at me, and then returned to making the heel faces. I will never forget him smiling at me. Every time I pass the arena, I always see myself in the parking lot as a little kid - meeting the wrestlers. Thanks to Owen I'll have that memory forever.

From then on, I was hooked on Owen. Later down the road, I even got my grandparents to buy me a trophy that was similar to the infamous 'Slammy Award' that Owen carried around. He was the total heel, and inspired me not only as a fan, but later as a wrestler. Those are the good moments that I will never forget.

A bad moment that I'll never forget happened on May 23, 1999 - six years ago, I still can't believe it's been six - during WWF's broadcast. I'd returned home from another local show here in the area to settle in and watch the PPV. I was looking forward to seeing Owen that evening. I remember watching his promo earlier in the PPV and thinking how ridiculous he looked in that outfit now, but being entertained at how he pulled it off. The next thing I can remember about it was later in the evening - seeing the camera pan wildly and then them cutting back to other things. I found it really strange. When Jim Ross broke the situation, I was completely ill. I felt my stomach rumble, and my head started to hurt - I just had this odd feeling that something really bad was going to come of it.

When Jerry Lawler returned to the broadcast position from being at ringside, I knew that that was it for Owen; despite what I assume to be an effort, the look on Jerry's face said that it was over. I had tried to keep my mind off of that, praying that Owen would be OK. When they broke the news of his passing, I cried. Even knowing that it was bad from before, it truly didn't sink in until it was 'made official' by them saying it. That's a bad memory I'll never forget.

The RAW that followed made it even harder to forget about what happened - and in a way I am glad about that. I am glad that Owen will never be forgotten. After reading his widow's book about their lives, and everything that took place, it makes it that much more important for Owen's life to be remembered. He was a true man, and a real man - who NEVER put the business before his family as most of us often do. Who NEVER ignored a request to help someone who needed it. Who NEVER mistreated someone, or looked down on them as if he were better; and who hopefully, will NEVER be forgotten.

I thank you Owen, for entertaining and inspiring - not only me - but countless others. I thank Owen, for being a kind and generous guy - who even after your death, continues to help through charities established in your name as you wanted. I thank you Owen, for inspiring me to be willing to be a heel - one who like you did, always has a smile behind that mean face. And I thank you Owen, for smiling at me that day - just as I'm smiling thinking about you now.

I hope that today, even six years later, that everyone might stop for a second - and say not only a prayer [or if you don't pray, think a thought about] for Owen, but also for his wife and children, and his entire family - who I am sure are sharing their thoughts of Owen today as well. Let's use this thread to discuss memories of Owen, and keep his memory alive.

DaveWadding
05-23-2005, 04:05 AM
I, too, remember crying when I found out Owen died. I was still not totally out of kayfabe at that point, but I knew as long as I'd been watching that Owen was GOOD. My favorite Owen gimmick/outft was the baby blue one he wore as the Rocket. After Owen's passing, so much has been and has yet to be written one what a stand up guy Owen was, I have a deep seeded respect for Owen, and I hope he is smiling down at us amongst other angels (and is still pranking Curt, Davey etc.) because we miss him very much.

R.I.P. Owen James Hart

RP
05-23-2005, 05:18 AM
My mom told me about his death. I was shocked. She woke me for school one day and told me turn on the news. Her exact words were " Shawn ! Turn on the new, a wrestler died ". I was stunned. I saw it was Owen, and though i wanst the hugest fan( because i was like 15 and loved Bret and hated Owen for his charachter) I was stunned. I will never forget seeing Owen Hart v.s Bret Hart at a house show in Indianpolis. It was probably 5 months before his death. I never realized how lucky i was to see that match 3 rows from ringside. Hell at the time i thought i was the luckiest kid alive cause Diesle( Nash) came around the ring and slapped my leather Diesle glove i had bought for 13 $ ( geez ). I had no clue i would be much more luckier for seeing that match then i was for touching Kevin Nash. I'm so glad i got the oppurtunity to witness that.

Dave Youell
05-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I would have been 17 when this happened, I stayed up and watched it by myself and as soon as the announcement came i just felt numb, just shocked I guess. I'm not going to say I was a massive fan of Owen's and he was a future champ, because I don't think he was championship material.

But I was a fan of his Black heart gimmick, when he dressed up as a roadside, before he joined the nation, they should have really pushed him hard then, could have gotten to a decent upper card spot then.

I guess the shame is that I never really appreciated Owen until hje was gone

Hitman84
05-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I was 16 when Owen Hart passed.

Living in the UK, it was impossible in 1999 to watch WWF if you didn't have satellite or cable TV and buy the Sky Sports channel. In our house, we didn't have cable. I can remember my dad getting me up at 6am for school. I had my shower, got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. My dad yelled from the living room for me to come and see the news item that was playing - it was a news item describing Owen's death.

I had stopped watching WWF on principle after the Screwjob and the break-up of the Hart Foundation. Even though I was not a wrestling fan at the time, Owen's death touched me very very deeply as I had always been a great Hart Foundation mark and I was speechless for the entire day.

And, though I never met him or any other WWF wrestler, I would also like to take this opportunity to step back and take a few moments to remember the wrestler; to remember the man; to remember Owen Hart. :'(

Rest in Peace, Owen; you are, and always will be, greatly missed.

That is all.

Evolution
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I was only 13 at the time. Over The Edge 1999 was the first WWF PPV I ever saw. I had only started watching WWF about 6 weeks before hand. All I knew was that this "Superhero" was going to try to put a stop to The Godfather and I hoped Godfather would retain the Intercontinental Championship.

So my mum wakes me and my brother up for school by saying "that wrestler's died". My first thought was Austin because he was Champion and the only guy I really knew. Mum said no, he wears blue. Shamrock? No again. GMTV news is on and the woman said "WWF wrestler Owen Hart passed away last night..." It shows some footage from the PPV (the same crowd shot and JR speaking to the camera) then it shows Vince at a press conference, talking about how they are assuming it was an accident and there will be an investigation. After I watched the show, I had to go to school but I felt sad, which was strange because I had seen all of about 3 of Owen's matches at the time.

After all this time I still remember that morning. And after watching old shows I have learned to appreciate Owen a heck of a lot more.

As soon as I woke up this morning, I thought 23rd? Why does that date ring a bell? Then I thought hard about it and remembered Owen.
I think JR said it best on RAW IS OWEN. "I just wish I could be a good a person as Owen Hart was, so I can see him again, someday."

RIP Owen Hart. You are always in our thoughts.

Anybody Thrilla
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Owen was the first heel that I started cheering for at a young age.

Once I was at a taping of Superstars in the front row, and Owen walked by during his entrance to the ring. I kinda brushed his arm when he walked by, and got right up in my face. He pointed his finger like two inches from my face and screamed "DON'T TOUCH ME, I'M A KING!" (this was during his 'King of Harts' era, which I think was his best work). I kinda jumped back a bit, not expecting that, but it was awesome. The icing on the cake came after he kept walking and Jim Neidhart came up to me right behind Owen, stroked his beard, and did that signature laugh of his. That made me an Owen fan forever.

R.I.P. Owen

KayfabeMan
05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing so far. Keep the memories coming.

I'm going to try to make it back to the computer later on, and get photo(s) scanned up from Owen's last RAW episode / taping. I had attended that night, and had fifth or sixth row, but right next to the entrance ramp - and managed to get some good Owen as the Blazer shots. I'll see if I can get them up online sometime today.

Otherside
05-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I couldn't write something as eloquent as Kayfabe so I won't try but Owen was someone special to us.

In a sense, we as fans got to watch Owen grow up through the business.

My Dad, Grandpa and I used to go to the Stampede wrestling shows when I was very young. I feel priveledged to have been able to see so many greats; Dynamite Kid, Davey, Chris Benoit, Brian Pillman, Gama Singh, and later on Owen. The one night in particular I remember Owen was in the main event against Mike Shaw or Mukah Singh at that time. It went back and forth until Owen queued up the comeback (As Ed Whalen and Jim used to say, he had the Eye of the Tiger) and beat the holy hell out of him and won by count out. Mike had had enough and was leaving while Owen stood in the ring with the mic and had the crowd chanting "Chicken Shit" at the top of their lungs, me included. For me, at the ripe age of 10 to get away with this in front of my Dad and my Grandpa was pretty cool. All they did was laugh at me. Any other time and my ass would been well tanned.

Owen always stood out to me for whatever reason. Somewhere in my parents house there's a box with some old pictures I'd had on my wall and one of them was of the "Man of a 1001 Holds" Owen Hart holding, I believe, the North American Championship.

The last time I saw Owen live was at the Rock Bottom PPV where he faced Steve Blackman. It didn't matter that he was a heel at the time the crowd went nuts for him and booed Blackman. The ending was always suspect to me but it was great to see him again.

We were at my parents house when we heard that Owen had been killed the night before at the PPV. I sped home in shock to watch Raw that night. The show made me tear up more than once. The business had lost a wonderful worker, we lost a hero but his family lost so much more.

That day in May we all lost someone special. Someday when he is old enough, I'll tell my son how his name was inspired by a good person who was taken from us far too soon.

Rest In Peace Owen. We think of you often.

Rob
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
What can I say that I haven't said a million times before? Never felt the same for wrestling deep down since Owen Hart died. The way the WWF treated his wife was a disgrace and I won't even go into how his own brothers and sisters embarrassed the Hart name that Owen and Bret fought so hard to build. I can honestly say no one man has changed my life so much like Owen Hart did. In all the years I followed wrestling, I only ever heard one guy talk bad about Owen Hart. How many people die and have leave a legacy like that? To this day, everyone has only good things to say about him and great memories they can share. His in ring ability was just awesome. Timeless skills that will never die. Wrestling lost a great talent but the whole world lost a great man and it breaks my heart to know his kids have to grow up without their dad. The "good ones" in pro wrestling are rare but he was one. I think about him every single day and the memories he left and always smile to myself.

Owen Hart was simply the best.

Zen v.W.o.
05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I was 19 at the time of his death. It was guys like him and Bret among others that brought me back into wrestling after the the days of cheering on the gimmicks and all that from the 80's wore thin.

He was such a cowardly heel at times, and yet in a way still gave you the impression that he could handle anyone in the ring. I dont know what it was about him particular, but he never failed to entertain me, and he always managed to get me to laugh at some of his antics. Watch the slammy's and you'll see what I mean. The way he would use his cast for months and have a back and forth repartee on the commentary booth with Vince and JR over it were hilarious moments. The way he hated anyone touching his slammy awards, and would scold them for doing so, yet he had no problems bashing opponents over the skull with them. :lol:

I also loved the way he would take subtle or sometimes outright jabs at his brother while not even feuding with him at times..for instance at raw in the euro finals tourney, he lost to the Bulldog, grabbed a mic, and congratualted him in his own kind of manner..while adding this: "you did a great job Bulldog, you were the better man tonight, you managed to beat the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be"..without stopping as if it was his natural moniker..He was just subtly funny at times without trying too hard to be that way, like you see nowadays with many guys.

His matches were excellent. Some guys claim he was the best Hart, and that when he wanted to really go, nobody in the business could touch him. He definitely could get you to believe that.

I felt priveleged to have seen him wrestle live 3 times in my lifetime. He was the man. Anyways I enjoy reading all your posts and thoughts on the guy, and he is clearly missed.

RIP Owen.

Gone Mad
05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I have said plenty of times how much Owen meant to me at an early age. He was the one that got me fully into wrestling and started my love for high-flyers when he was with KoKo. I saw the Over the Edge PPV but had to leave for dinner around the time his fall happened and it was odd feeling that night, not knowing what happened. When I found out, I was emotional... but not as emotional as the Raw tribute show.

But it's sad that someone as talented and skilled as Owen is not around, I see so much of him in Jericho and Christian, but they are not Owen. He was a BlackHart, he was the King of Harts, he was the greatest. I am not shitting you on any of this, he was the real deal for me back in the days with Bret, Razor, Taker, and Hogan close behind, but Owen never got to show us what he was fully capable of because his time cut short and that is sad.

I end off early as I give my thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, anyone that knew him because he was special and it was a privilege alone to have known and seen on TV the greatness that is and forever will be Owen Hart.