PDA

View Full Version : the fall of educational programming

KillerWolf
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
i happen to be one of those people that enjoy educational television. HISTORY CHANNEL, DISCOVERY CHANNEL, TLC, ANIMAL PLANET, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL. i have never watched an episode of FREINDS or the OC. but over the years educational programming has eroded (probably to increase ratings) and has been dumbed down to the point that it is hardly educational.

the first to start sucking was TLC. it now consists mostly of shows about homosexuals prancing around like the flaming faggots that they are and decorating rooms and shit.

the next to fall was DISCOVERY CHANNEL. it now shows mostly the same type of shit that's on TLC now. faggot shit!

so, if i want to see an army of ants invade a termite mound or watch lions hunt in the Serengheti, i can still watch ANIMAL PLANET, right??? good luck! its nothing but Worlds Funniest Pet Videos ALL DAY LONG.

HISTORY CHANNEL has gotten kinda mediocre as well. the bulk of their programming used to be shows like Great Blunders of WWII. Now, the bulk of their programming is an aweful show called Modern Marvels.

i really don't see the educational value, or quite frankly the entertainment value in any of this! :nono:

DaveWadding
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
So, what's the point of all this besides being a bigoted motherfucker?

SuperSlim
05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
he wants TV to educate him

Gouda
05-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Bring back the Carmen Sandiego gameshow.

KillerWolf
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
So, what's the point of all this besides being a bigoted motherfucker?
No. i just think they should have an "interior design" channel (they probably already do) or put those programs on the HOME AND GARDEN CHANNEL, and leave the educational channels alone.

and yes, okay, i said faggot. sorry if i offended you. But i find it hard to beleive that if you are a person of any intelegence, that you could not see a point to my original post.

and im not a bigot. how do you describe a flamming faggot?

KillerWolf
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
he wants TV to educate him
No. i rather enjoy educational television over the trash that is more popular, like anything with Paris Hilton, or the OC because i am not a teenager and i was never of the mindset that would find any of that entertaining or even remotely interesting.

furthermore i would like for there to be quality educational television for my son to watch.

Dragon
05-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Do you actually find an army of ants invading a termite mound interesting?

Gonzo
05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
That would probably be funny as hell, honestly.

KillerWolf
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Do you actually find an army of ants invading a termite mound interesting?
yes i do. i find insects in general interesting. i also like those shows where they go deep in the ocean and observe wierd creatures that glow in the dark, and other rarely seen speices. fascinating stuff.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
GEEK TV

Nah JK. History channel is pretty cool, I dunno about watching Ants though. That's kinda fucked up

James Steele
05-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Bill Goldberg To Host New Show On History Channel <hr style="color: rgb(168, 0, 0);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> I just saw a commercial on the history channel for a show called "Auto Maniac" or something and Bill Goldberg hosts it.

El Santo
05-24-2005, 03:32 AM
I sorta agree with most of the post there except for the comment about Modern Marvels. I happen to think that show is highly educational. It's the only show on TV that can take things like the baggage carousel at Denver International or the career of lumberjacking look somewhat interesting. The thing I can't stand on the History Channel is that "Pimp my Ride" wannabe show. What does that have to do with History, exactly?

That's why I hope a channel like PBS never dies. Educational cable channels rely on advertisers, which means that they're prone to ratings like any other channel. If it's educational but no one's interested, they'll never air it.

KillerWolf
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Bill Goldberg To Host New Show On History Channel <hr style="color: rgb(168, 0, 0);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> I just saw a commercial on the history channel for a show called "Auto Maniac" or something and Bill Goldberg hosts it.
Hmm. i dunno. actually, that's another thing. all these car shows are okay, but shit like that is ALL that is on. that and the interior design crap.......and Wedding Story, and Baby Story.

I have a HUGE interest in automobiles. They're one of my main interests in life. right now i own 2 classic muscle cars, and 2 late model muscle cars (two Firebirds, a Camaro, and a Nova) and i'm always in the market for a few more. However, most of those shows would be more suitable on SPIKE TV or something. also i dont care for most of those shows because they all do pretty much the same thing to every vehicle, and that is: bastardize them. hot rodding is an expensive hobby, and it must be nice to have some TV show dump 20 or 30 grand on your car - but i honestly wouldnt want those people to touch any of my cars. well, yeah i would - but i dont want 20 inch wheels and 1/4 inch tall tires on my '67 Firebird or a "theme" type of paint job, know what i mean.

KillerWolf
05-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I sorta agree with most of the post there except for the comment about Modern Marvels. I happen to think that show is highly educational. It's the only show on TV that can take things like the baggage carousel at Denver International or the career of lumberjacking look somewhat interesting. The thing I can't stand on the History Channel is that "Pimp my Ride" wannabe show. What does that have to do with History, exactly?

That's why I hope a channel like PBS never dies. Educational cable channels rely on advertisers, which means that they're prone to ratings like any other channel. If it's educational but no one's interested, they'll never air it.
you kinda hit the nail on the head about Modern Marvels. it's not the concept of the show that i dont like. it's just that 95% of the time the subject matter just doesn't interest me.

Disturbed316
05-24-2005, 04:55 PM
I like watching stuff about the Romans and Time Team over here :$