PDA

View Full Version : News/Notes on ECW One Night Stand...

Somebody's Gotta Die
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Credit: PWInsider.com

WWE sources have indicated that Terry Funk will definitely not be making an appearance at the ECW One Night Stand PPV, by his own choice. The original plan was to have Funk team with Tommy Dreamer to face the Dudley Boyz.

The ECW subsite on WWE.com now features an ECW trivia game and the Sandman video highlight reel that aired on RAW last night.

The ECW Magazine officially hits newstands today,

WWE will also be releasing an official ECW One Night Stand program.

The meet and greet session scheduled for 4-5 PM for the ECW PPV in New York City has been pushed via local advertising. The event will take place the same day as the show at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Card stands at...

Dudley Boyz-Dreamer/Sandman
Prediction: Dreamer/Sandman

Eddie Guerrero-Chris Benoit
Prediction: Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho-Lance Storm
Prediction: Lance Storm (I'd like for it to happen)

Super Crazy-Tajiri (w/S.M.)-Little Guido
Prediction: Super Crazy (possibly Tajiri)

Rey Mysterio-Psychosis
Prediction: Rey Mysterio

ECW One Night Stand will feature special appearances by:
Paul Heyman
The return to PPV of Rob Van Dam with Bill Alfonso
Tazz
Spike Dudley
Al Snow with Head
Sabu
Balls Mahoney
Danny Doring and Roadkill
CW Anderson
Rhyno
Joel Gertner
Axl Rotten
Justin Credible
Kid Kash
Masato Tanaka
Mikey Whipwreck with Sinister Minister
The BWO - Big Stevie Cool, Hollywood Nova, and The Blue Guy

Aside from the 5 matches announced, I think they should also go with...

Spike/Doring/Roadkill-BWO
- Spike teamed with them in ECW's dying days and it's a good way of getting some of the less talented guys involved in one match...

Rob Van Dam-Rhyno
- Give the "planned" ECW final PPV match a showing with RVD obviously going over...

Sabu-Justin Credible
- Would be pretty awesome... Good way of getting either man over in a legit repeat ECW feud...

Flaming tables match
Axl Rotten/Balls Mahoney-Whipwreck/Tanaka
- Let the WWE finally bring this match back... Even if the match is no classic, it will get you going for sure...

***Tazz beating up Angle and the rest of the "invaders" and choking him out... Or Bischoff...

That basically leaves CW Anderson, Kid Kash and Al Snow with no matches... I'd put Anderson and Snow in HEAT match simply because they don't possess the star power of BWO, a Whipwreck or a Sabu on an ECW show... Not really sure about Kash... I don't see him doing much... He's not that great anyways... :-\

I'm guessing Tazz & Gertner or Heyman & Gertner will be doing the commentary... I'm looking forward to it, either way...

It would be even better if it was 4 hours... WWE giving Heyman and ECW their own promotion and timeslot could be very good for business and money-wise and it would add interesting contrast to what we've been seeing on WWE TV lately... We'll see if the show goes down WWE-style or ECW-style... The booking will obviously show if they did the right move by letting Heyman run the show, it should be a night to remember...

The invasion might actually be an interesting idea... It could be a good way of getting lots of ECW guys involed in a complete beatdown... I don't see Tazz wrestling on the show, although that would be great too...

The One
05-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Most of this has already been discussed. But either way thanks for the update.

Angle + Raw people = :n:
Tazz not wrestling = :n: (but I respect his choice and reasons for it)
No Joey Styles = :n:
WWE probably putting over all contracted wrestlers over other ECW bring ins = :n:
Terry Funk not there = :n: (though again like Tazz I 110% respect his reasons and choices)

Still ECW PPV > Any other WWE PPV they have done in the past few years.

Innovator
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM

Angle + Raw people = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif
Tazz not wrestling = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif (but I respect his choice and reasons for it)
No Joey Styles = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif
WWE probably putting over all contracted wrestlers over other ECW bring ins = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif
Terry Funk not there = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif (though again like Tazz I 110% respect his reasons and choices)

Still ECW PPV > Any other WWE PPV they have done in the past few years.Tazz hopefully choking out Angle & cohorts = :awesomeness:

Edge or Bischoff getting Gored, Roaring Elbowed, Diamond Dusted, Van Daminated = http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/drool.gif

No Joey = :n:

But well...well...well = :y:

Somebody's Gotta Die
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM

Angle + Raw people = :n:
Tazz not wrestling = :n: (but I respect his choice and reasons for it)
No Joey Styles = :n:
WWE probably putting over all contracted wrestlers over other ECW bring ins = :n:
Terry Funk not there = :n: (though again like Tazz I 110% respect his reasons and choices)

Still ECW PPV > Any other WWE PPV they have done in the past few years.

I agree that there are a few problems...

I don't mind that Angle & Bischoff will invade because it can be a good way to get the whole ECW roster over...

But, nevertheless, there are still major problems... In order...

No Joey Styles - the mouth of ECW and probably one of the better announcers in the world
No Raven - such a disappointment, he could have contributed so much
No Jerry Lynn - a Lynn/RVD match would single handedly make this the best show in years
No Terry Funk - very horrible, Funk-Jack in the main event would be awesome
No Shane Douglas - the first ECW champion, damn it
No Steve Corino - he's actually awesome and he personified ECW
No Saturn/Eliminators - I would have loved it
No Taz wrestling - would have loved it
No Mick Foley - or so we know for now, hopefully he at least makes a surprise appearance
No Austin - not a big deal since he's more of a WWF star, but an appearance might still be cool

I guess a New Jack appearance or something would have also been interesting... :-\

Dean Malenko-Eddie Guerrero would have been really good leaving Benoit-Sabu... That would have been better booking, but Malenko couldn't make the show for personal reasons... I remember him being voted PWI 500 #1, :lol: , I was so shocked when I was reading the wrestling magazine in a convenience store... It was in 97, I believe...

A true 4/5-hour ECW Reunion PPV will all of the missing pieces of the puzzle might even be the best ECW show ever with all the excitement and tension running and the pressure put on the performers to deliver an awesome ECW-caliber show...

Corkscrewed
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
All I want is for Tazz to kick some ass. I'd mark out for that shit. :y:

srnrew
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Things I'd like to see the PPV:

A VanDaminator and/or VanTerminitor (Even though Rob won't probably wrestle cause of his injury.

An appearance by Beulah in the Sandman/Dreamer vs. Dudleys match (Beulah's revenge for the 3D back in the day).

Joel "The Quintenssial Studmuffin" Gertner doing the Dudleys ring intro with maybe a moment of silence to "The Mastedon" Big Dick Dudley.

Bam Bam Bigelow, Francine, and The Franchise remembering Chris Candido.

KingofOldSchool
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Ummm yeah RVD can't wrestle on the PPV.

SuperSlim
06-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I was wondering when someone was gonna mention that RVD can't wrestle now

Somebody's Gotta Die
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I was wondering when someone was gonna mention that RVD can't wrestle now

I do realize this, but it would be good if he could...

I'm simply listing what I'd like to see...

If RVD can't wrestle, then Rhyno-Tanaka could be a good idea, although I think a flaming table match will go over huge with the fans of both ECW and WWE... Definitely signing the likes of Whipwreck, Mahoney and Axl is not necessary, but they can have one good showing on this night...

Tanaka = money...

Fignuts
06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
They should just get Mike Awesome for sole purpose of wrestling Tanaka. Those two put on some classics in ECW and FMW.

Somebody's Gotta Die
06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
They should just get Mike Awesome for sole purpose of wrestling Tanaka. Those two put on some classics in ECW and FMW.

I agree Awesome should be on the show...

His ECW title matches against Masato Tanaka were classic... If Taz would agree to wrestling, a Taz-Tanaka-Awesome match would totally rock since it represents Taz's real official ECW match... Aside from some kind of return thing agreement with WWE and a match against Dreamer...

But the absences of Joey Styles, Raven, Jerry Lynn, Terry Funk, Shane Douglas, Steve Corino and Foley will hurt the show even more...

Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn would have been good too...

Imagine that card with matches like this added to it:

Funk-Jack
Lynn-RVD
Tanaka-Awesome-Taz
Eliminators-Dudleys
Raven-Dreamer
Malenko-anyone
Corino-anyone

:-\ You can't get all of them...

The talent roster the WWE has put together for the show still exceeds the quality of the ECW roster for its last half-year of existence...

With guys like Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, Rey, Sabu, Sandman, Dreamer, Taz, RVD all on the show, although some are not wrestling, it is still a much better roster that ECW had in its dying days being headlined by the likes of Awesome, CW Anderson, Sabu, Sandman, Tanaka, Corino and Whipwreck, considering most of those guys are going to be on ECW One Night Stand...

Haven't looked forward to a WWE PPV this much for a while...

James Steele
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
You can't blame WWE for some of the people not showing up. Steve Corino isn't doing either reunion show because he wants to remember ECW from his memories and Joey Styles wants nothing to do with WWE.

Mr. JL
06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I think RVD said it best on Byte this when addressing WWE talent invading the One NIght Stand show..

The hosts compliment RVD, telling him that he is on a roll. Rob then looks at his watch and, hey, “Speaking of rolling, it’s 4:20 guys... Oh, that’s a different one, never mind, we won’t go there,” the aficionado jokes.

Ooopes wrong quote :shifty:

Here is the right quote...

RVD comments, “I don’t know who all is going to be there besides the ECW wrestlers. I understand that there’s going to be some kind of Invasion, talk of some wrestlers there for some kind of Invasion angle. My opinion on that is that those guys are definitely not going to be drawing the ratings for this pay per view. They are definitely not selling any seats. Nobody’s coming to see them, they have no business being there. This pay per view is going to kick ass. It’s going to be ECW-style, thanks to Paul Heyman, because he is the only one that understands enough to make the authority of decisions on putting this thing together. He’s the only one that understands the ECW crew. You can’t come in from outside the box and start throwing ideas around and really know what’s going to work. This is going to kick ass. It’s going to be historical. And for that night, consider me to be ECW, all the way.”

Somebody's Gotta Die
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Here is the right quote...

RVD comments, “I don’t know who all is going to be there besides the ECW wrestlers. I understand that there’s going to be some kind of Invasion, talk of some wrestlers there for some kind of Invasion angle. My opinion on that is that those guys are definitely not going to be drawing the ratings for this pay per view. They are definitely not selling any seats. Nobody’s coming to see them, they have no business being there. This pay per view is going to kick ass. It’s going to be ECW-style, thanks to Paul Heyman, because he is the only one that understands enough to make the authority of decisions on putting this thing together. He’s the only one that understands the ECW crew. You can’t come in from outside the box and start throwing ideas around and really know what’s going to work. This is going to kick ass. It’s going to be historical. And for that night, consider me to be ECW, all the way.”

Sounds good...

road doggy dogg
06-03-2005, 06:53 PM
LOL @ retards still whining about this even though it's more than they deserve

Nowhere Man
06-03-2005, 08:10 PM
No Steve Corino

You do know he's dead, right?

Mr. JL
06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
You do know he's dead, right?
Yeah, Steve Corino is about as dead as Triple H's backstage political power.

Amaroqwolf
06-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Read somewhere that Raven said he wasn't going to be AT the Show, But he HAD planned on SEEING IT. Wether that Mean's Live or Via PPV I don't know for sure. BUt, I'm thinking It said something about him buying tickets.

Nowhere Man
06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Oh shit, that was Chris Candido. My bad.

Chavo Classic
06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm watching for Gertner... and maybe a few flaming tables

Somebody's Gotta Die
06-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh shit, that was Chris Candido. My bad.

:roll:

Some bad news about the show:

There are many conversations within WWE about the upcoming ECW pay-per-view. The original plan for the show was to make it an all-ECW show, with WWE officials and non-ECW workers staying completely away from the show. However, it seems as those plans have changed.

The budget set for the show was made to do 300,000 buys, which is beyond what brand only shows average. Tickets were also priced high. Top sets were priced at $400. Coming off the high number of sells from the ECW DVD, WWE management figured that fans were willing to dish out the cash for such an event.

WWE has canned the ECW-Only idea and will add more WWE talent from both RAW and SmackDown to the card. Hoping that the event will draw more buys. They will also drop ticket prices, which will break down the show’s projected budget.

Inside sources say that people in the company who fell in love with the idea of a reunion show, now dread the idea. Instead of the show being led by ECW alumni, it has become a project headed by the WWE creative team.

[Source: Pro Wrestling Insider ]

SuperSlim
06-04-2005, 11:37 AM
that sucks