PDA

View Full Version : House Of Humperdink

Loose Cannon
06-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Here's a stable out of the past very few ever mention. Right out of the old NWA territory days.

http://www.wrestlingclassics.com/paul_jones/vipgallery/036.jpg

Monty doesn't hold a candle to Leroy

Post some other stables people never mention.

KayfabeMan
06-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Humperdink is really one of the more overlooked managers from wrestling history. A lot of people generally mention the same names over and over again - Jimmy Hart, Freddie Blassie, Lou Albano, Jim Cornette, etc. - but people often leave out names like Oliver's and The Grand Wizard. Such a shame, but I guess most people respond with the same generic names - possibly having no more knowledge than what the general fan does / should.

Anyhow, yeah my post will mention The Grand Wizard's various talents - though not a stable - like The Sheik, Stan Stasiak, Greg Valentine, Pat Patterson, Billy Graham, Don Muraco, Stan Hansen, Ox Baker, etc., etc. Even though it's not a stable really, no one really mentions Roth or his career as a manager / talent - so I thought I'd bring him up.

Loose Cannon
06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Oh man, how I would of loved to see the Wizard back then. I saw a clip of him doing an interview for his guy once and he was amazing. I read somany good stories about him and his work as a mouthpiece. I need to get my hands on a compilation of him. Died way to young.

DaBrasko
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Forgive my nOOBodian ignorance but I dont know much about this guy :(
humperdink that is.....

KingofOldSchool
06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I attribute that to the fact that they were before most people here or most of the online community started watching wrestling.

And then we also have to consider that there were a LOT of great managers back in the day, it's easy to overlook the older ones.

DaBrasko
06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
When was this guy around ?

Nark Order
06-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Is that Valentine in that picture?

DaBrasko
06-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I always kinda liked the Genius :shifty:

KayfabeMan
06-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Is that Valentine in that picture?

Yeah, that's Paul Jones, Brown, Greg Valentine and Humperdink.

KayfabeMan
06-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I attribute that to the fact that they were before most people here or most of the online community started watching wrestling.

And then we also have to consider that there were a LOT of great managers back in the day, it's easy to overlook the older ones.

I definitely agree with that.

I think that that is why WWE should release a managers type DVD, that could feature wrestling managers going WAY back - since they own all the footage. It would be a great way to keep exposure on a lot of these guys, where it's needed the most. They could do interviews (and obviously clips) - and even have matches on a seperate disc - with the guys at their best.

You could have people like Humperdink, Wizard, Blassie, Albano, Mr. Fuji, Paul Heyman, Heenan, Cornette, JJ Dillon, Harvey Wippleman, Johnny Valiant, Paul Ellering, Slick, Paul Bearer, Bill Alfonso, Robert Parker / Fuller, James Mitchell, Ted DiBiase, Jimmy Hart, Skandor Akbar, and a few others - and maybe even DDP and Lanny Poffo, if you want guys who were also noted for managing people. Also, they could go back to earlier valets and managers - like that of Gorgeous George's and others. Covering the whole history.

You could even include valets, like Miss Elizabeth, Sherri Martel, Luna, Jackie, Missy Hyatt, and others - but, IMO, keeping the focus on women who were good at managing - not just eye candy like a Torrie Wilson or Lita :shifty:

MANY of the above mentioned guys are still alive - and could provide a great deal of insight and information into what it's really like working with people to get them over, and I'm 1000% sure that they have some awesome stories to tell as well.

KayfabeMan
06-06-2005, 12:03 AM
When was this guy around ?

I assume that you meant Humperdink, not The Grand Wizard. If so, to answer your question - Humperdink was around from the late '60's up until, well, now. He was managing just as recently as January at WrestleReunion in Florida - where he returned to be in the corner for a match involving Kevin Sullivan, Abdullah The Butcher & CM Punk against Mike Graham, Dusty & Dustin Rhodes - with Mick Foley as referee.

KingofOldSchool
06-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah, that's Paul Jones, Brown, Greg Valentine and Humperdink.

Huh?

That looks like Tully Blanchard.

Loose Cannon
06-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Dabrasko: If you watched the WWF as late as the late 80's, you'll see him managing Bam Bam.

Loose Cannon
06-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Let's continue this thread a little with the next stable

The Army of Darkness coming right out of Florida Wrestling. Definately the inspiration for the Dungeon of Doom in WCW and probably for the Ministry in the WWF. Kevin Sullivan was doing a devil worshipping gimmick kind of thing and put together a group of followers. One member even came right out of the sea. You might recognize the guy on the far right in photo #1 from the pervious photo. He's also 2nd from the left in #2.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/267/1478/400/03.jpg

http://img296.echo.cx/img296/815/018vk.jpg

KingofOldSchool
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Oliver Humperdink, Woman, Kevin Sullivan, Luna Vachon, Jake Roberts, and I think Buzz Sawyer.

KayfabeMan
06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Ah, the AOD.

Like KoOS said, Hump, Woman / Fallen Angel, Sully, Luna, Jake, and Buzz Sawyer. You may also remember guys like "Purple Haze" Mark Lewin, and "Maha Singh" Bob Roop - & of course the late Mike Davis. I believe at one time "Superstar" Billy Graham was even part of the faction. Don't forget their manager, Abudadein.

There was also a "re-vamped" AOD group in Florida during the '90's - with the above mentioned Abudadein leading them. Among the members were Luna, Gangrel, "The Blackheart" Dave Johnson, Hack Meyers and a few others [with a few appearances by Kevin Sullivan when he could].

KingofOldSchool
06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Ah, the AOD.

Like KoOS said, Hump, Woman / Fallen Angel, Sully, Luna, Jake, and Buzz Sawyer. You may also remember guys like "Purple Haze" Mark Lewin, and "Maha Singh" Bob Roop - & of course the late Mike Davis. I believe at one time "Superstar" Billy Graham was even part of the faction. Don't forget their manager, Abudadein.

I thought that was Superstar in LC's first picture.

I think it might've been Mark Lewin in the second picture and not Buzz Sawyer.

I have an 80's NWA Comp tape that has Mark Lewin and Buzz Sawyer taking on the Road Warriors. Their entrance was freakin' sweet for the time period.

Loose Cannon
06-06-2005, 05:13 PM
that's definately Graham in the first picture