PDA

View Full Version : Listening to music

Penner
06-13-2005, 07:01 AM
How do you listen to music?

Lemme explain.

When I listen to music, I usually listen if I like what it sounds like, and if I do, I listen to the guitar part. Mainly because I'm a guitar player. And then if I think it's a cool part or something I'll try to learn.

I don't know, I talked to my friend who plays bass and he says he listens for the bass parts and I know my drummer only wants to cover a song if he likes the drum part.

I was just wondering if you listen to something generally or specifically I guess...

Mike the Metal Ed
06-13-2005, 07:06 AM
I listen how the songs sound. If it sounds good, I like it. Which explains how I can listen to talentless bands like Slipknot, so long as the overall sound is good.

I also love losing myself in solos when listening to metal though.

Kane Knight
06-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I listen to the overall composition value. I'm more likely to be drawn to strong lyrics, but I can pretty easily be drawn into a strong guitar line, an interesting bassline, good piano work, or even a very interesting drum line.

Silent
06-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, I know what you mean Penner by listening to what instrument you play. I know guitar, bass, drums, and I like to sing, so I don't really do that anymore. :p I guess it depends on what I'm listening to.

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
usually it will the overall composition at first, then parts of the instrumentation will draw me in further, like at the moment i'm listening to Whiskeytown and the fiddle, Accordian and mandolin are just kicking my ass.

Other times it can be the vocals, like Alison Krauss. If you don't love her voice then you must be dead inside. Or MJK... need I say more.

Can also be the mood of the song, as I'm drawn to songs that are melancholic most of the time, but not the boring kind...

DaveWadding
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I listen to the overall composition value. I'm more likely to be drawn to strong lyrics, but I can pretty easily be drawn into a strong guitar line, an interesting bassline, good piano work, or even a very interesting drum line.word up.

Champion of Europa
06-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Mostly overall sound, with an emphasis on vocals.

asphyXy
06-13-2005, 10:52 AM
All you need to have is a guitar solo that starts out with a high bend.

Ninti the Mad
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
The song needs to have good drum work.

road doggy dogg
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I dunno, I can't really "appreciate" a song until I hear it about 20 times.... each time I generally focus on a different aspect. I dunno, depends on my mood I guess. I usually like listening for the bass line since that's what I play, but most of the music I listen to is just gay 8th notes and shit. Oh well, them's the breakss

mitchables
06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I listen to the overall composition value. I'm more likely to be drawn to strong lyrics, but I can pretty easily be drawn into a strong guitar line, an interesting bassline, good piano work, or even a very interesting drum line.

I look for pretty much the same qualities. Lyrics, strong guitars and interesting (though not necessarily complex) bass. I love listening to drums. Sometimes I will sit through a song three or four times in a row focusing on nothing but the drums. But when I listen to music, because I play so many instruments and have been listening to music forever, I hear the overall piece simultaneously with all the different parts, which I know sounds weird. I guess I mean... I could tell you exactly what is happening with the drums, bass and guitars at the same point, but at the same time, I can sit back and listen to all the separate parts flow into one entity as the song. If you follow. I can't really explain it. :$

Danny Electric
06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
:y:

Penner
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
yeah im usually drawn to the vocals and lyrics too

if i dont like the singer/screamer i most likely won't like the band unless they have awesome guitaring or something

TheNamelessOne
06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
All about the lyrics for me, although other things can make me enjoy it anyway.

el fregadero
06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
With rap I usually pay attention to the beat first, then the lyrics later on.

Actually, I do that with all music, the vocals are usually less important than the actual music.

asphyXy
06-15-2005, 03:04 AM
Lyrics aren't very important for me. The vocal melody and the placement of the words is much more important than the message that's being said as far as the song as a whole is concerned. Faith No More vocal melodies are awesome, but the lyrics are always meaningless.

Silent
06-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Lyrics aren't very important for me. The vocal melody and the placement of the words is much more important than the message that's being said as far as the song as a whole is concerned. Faith No More vocal melodies are awesome, but the lyrics are always meaningless.

Haha yeah, agreed.

Jason Cage
06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I used to not like Cradle of Filth because I wasn't used to Danni's voice. But after hearing Nypmethamine and going back to their older stuff I've grown to like his voice and find it pritty cool.

Also, I always looks for the music placement and structure. As well as guitar riffs. Also, the voice is surely the most important thing. Poeple who don't play insturments and know nothing about making a song are always going after the voice and sometimes the beat. but mainly it's the voice so. Yeah.-_-

YOUR Hero
06-16-2005, 11:39 PM
nothing specific. certain songs that I've known for a long time, I'll listen (anticipate) to parts that I like. Could be a drum riff or guitar. Perhaps the chorus. On new songs, it's the overall composition.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-17-2005, 02:47 AM
I don't look into music that much at all. Its pretty much if I hear it and I like it I listen to it. I can listen to rap music even if I think the lyrics are garbage. Songs will good lyrics tend to be my favorites though.

For rock music I don't know what I listen for. All I know is I'll love a few songs by a band, than totally hate some of their other songs. I'm weird like that.

Evil Vito
06-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Mostly overall sound, with an emphasis on vocals.

:y:

Gertner
06-17-2005, 12:00 PM
depends on what I'm listening to.

If it's John Legend or Alicia Keys I'm usually listening to the piano.

If it's Trance, House, Hardstyle, Techno , if it has vocals I focus on them, as well as focusing in on how the dj creates his set. In my mind a great set should tell a story.