PDA

View Full Version : Might as well make the NBA Draft Thread

BCWWF
06-26-2005, 04:45 PM
There were a couple threads about other things, but here is one just for the draft.

Personally, I'm not too sold on this draft. Andrew Bogut is called the "Next Vlade Divac", and he is going to be the first pick. There are a lot of players in this draft that I believe could become good NBA players, but I don't see the sure fire superstars that have been in other drafts. (Two years ago, LeBron, Carmelo, and Wade were all pretty much locks to be great). Because of that, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the higher teams trade down. There is talk that the Lakers and Jazz both want to move higher, and it sounds like they both have a pretty good shot at it.

Obviously I assess the Wolves here. Personally, I don't think there is a guy worth taking at No. 14 that will be great for the Wolves. It looks pretty much like its going to be a swingman like Granger or Graham, or maybe Sean May. To me, none of those guys look to be superstars, and the Wolves already have a good group of wingers (Wally, Hassell, Ebi, Spree (It sounds like he will be back)).

I think the Wolves should explore the possibility of trading down to around No. 20 and taking Jarrett Jack. Point guard is where we need help, Sam Cassell is too old and Troy Hudson is too inconsistant. I hear that Dwayne Casey likes the speedy point guard, and Jack is a good defender too. I just think that it would be better for our team to get a point guard for the future rather then leave our team with a bunch of GF's.

The Miz
06-26-2005, 05:00 PM
my projections

1. Bucks - Bogut, Utah
2. Hawks - Williams, UNC
3. Blazers - Paul, Wake Forest
4. Hornets - Green, HS
5. Bobcats - Felton, UNC
6. Jazz - Williams, Illinois
7. Raptors - Wright, Tex A & M
8. Knicks - Granger, UNM
9. Warriors - that Lithuanian guy
10. Lakers - Frye, Zona

The Icon of Elisim
06-26-2005, 05:07 PM
I'd say that the Raptors needs help at every position but they should take a scoring swingman at their pick. I'd be happy if we got a good PG since I've never been a fan of Alston or Alvin Williams but a scorer is more important.

As far as players I've read about that should be around at the 7 spot I like Granger the most.

With the other pick I'd like to see them just take the best player available. We need help everywhere.

SammyG
06-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I hope the Lakers get either Felton, or Sean May, love him

BCWWF
06-26-2005, 06:24 PM
The Miz, I wouldn't think the Blazers go for a PG, they drafted Seabass Telfair last year and I think Damon Staudemire is still around isn't he? I think they are one of the teams likely to trade down, maybe to the Lakers or Jazz? The place I read that the Jazz wanted to move down though, said they wanted a PG besides Felton, and in your mock they get Williams, so who knows.

The Miz
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah Deron Williams has Utah jazz written all over him. Closest Utah will ever have to having a black man on their team.

PureHatred
06-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Actually hoping the Lakers trade down in order to get a veteran power forward. Also, kinda hoping they manage to draft Salim Stoudemire. The Phil Jackoson triangle doesn't require a true point and Stoudemire's shooting would be a huge bonus in that offense. Actualyl, between the draft and free agency/trades, hoping the Lakers aquire another big man, a quality shooter, and a big, defensive oriented guard/swingman to take the pressure of Kobe to defend the oppositions best scorer.

SammyG
06-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Totally agree

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Kinda dumb how Williams is projected as the number 2 pick when he wasn't even one of top 4 players on his team in college. I know he has "potential" or whatever but I don't think hes worthy of #2.

Crimson
06-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Yea this is a weak draft it looks like. I don't even think Bogut will be all that great. Probably Williams will turn out to be the better player.

Lotus
06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, wondering what my Warriors are gonna do with the 9th. Local papers were saying maybe Channing Frye from Arizona if New York doesn't take him. Other than that, I don't know. I'd like to see them take a big man like Frye, Simien, or May, because that's what they need. They are loaded at PG, SG, and SF. They just need someone to back-up Murphy a bit and a starting C, because Foyle is no starter; a good guy to bring off the bench, but no starter for sure.

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
They could trade down to get May and Simien, Simien isn't expected to go until like late 20's, which is kind of surprising considering his college career.

RoXer
06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Warriors better take Frye!

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd like to see the Warriors be decent for once

Lotus
06-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see the Warriors be decent for once
#4 seed in the West, baby :cool:

RoXer
06-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I seriously don't think they can screw up this draft.

But we'll see.

The Miz
06-27-2005, 10:18 PM
What makes you think that, have you seen any trade or pick they've made the last 10 years

The Answer
06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I can't picture Batista winning this match right now. I mean beating HHH 3 times in a row on PPV :eek:

RoXer
06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I DUNNO, just a feeling. A good feeling.

BCWWF
06-28-2005, 02:30 AM
The Baron Davis deal wasn't bad, or are you talking about just draft time deals?

RP
06-28-2005, 03:15 AM
They traded Jeff Foster to Indiana for Vontego Cummings. Thx.

I hope Felton falls to number 17 for Indiana. I question Tinsley alot. I mean he's got the talent. He can run the team better then everyone else. I just dont know if he is a floor general type. I think Felton is going to be the real deal. I root for North Carolina and IU in college hoops ( sad to say i was a Sheed fan when he played college hoops . Thats how i was hooked to Carolina basketball). I've followed these Carolina players closely. Felton is the reason they won the championship. May was unbelievable in the tournament , but Felton ran the floor and commanded that team so well. Him on Indiana would give us a title i think.

As far as William. This guy is sick. He was a freshman . Thats why he didnt do much for you to see stima. Some of the plays this guy made defensivley were amazing. Stuff like guarding Illinois perimeter guys in the title game. One particular play where he timed Deron Williams pass a little to late. It was a bounce pass yet he still reached his arm back behind him and snagged the ball. The ball was behind him. He still go it. This was a post pass. Stuff like this he did all year long. Plus he can score the ball. He can play , score , and defend positions 1-4. He is the real deal. He's Kevin Garnett with the perimeter D capable of being as good as Artest.

Sean May is unpredictable. The guy has the talent and body to be a top 5 pick. He's a brilliant passer out of the post. Talking about Divac brilliance. He can bang but you wonder if he can bang with NBA PF's and C's. His jumper is decent and theres a question on whether he can keep himself in shape, but there is no doubt he is a big game player. He showed everyone in the tournament.

McCant should have stayed. May should have too , but McCants had a off year. His stock might have been alot bigger next year. People compare this guy to Vince Carter. He can dunk , but nowhere near as good as Carter. He has a great jumper. Good 3 point shooter. Really good defensive player. Perimeter defenders seem to be the " In " thing in the NBA. He may go to Indiana also. I wouldnt mind that cause i'm not sold on Stephen Jackson at all. I question his consistancy and his random dumbness in big game situations. I like McCants but i liked him next year more.

Anways , theres my Tarheel report if anyones intrested.

The Outlaw
06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
The reason he had a "down" year (16.0 PPG) was because he didn't have to play 30+ minutes a game and carry the load this year.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I don't know I just see Williams being the next Kwame Brown. Carmelo tore it up as a Freshman and was the best player on a National championship team and he went 3rd. Williams didn't even start and he's going 2nd? I don't know - I don't like the new NBA style of drafting I guess.

Sean May is the next Carlos Boozer. "He isn't big enough to play center" - well move him to powerfoward.

The Miz
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Portland just traded down, Utah is at #3 now. They will proably take Chris Paul bt Deron Williams screams Utah jazz.

RP
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't know I just see Williams being the next Kwame Brown. Carmelo tore it up as a Freshman and was the best player on a National championship team and he went 3rd. Williams didn't even start and he's going 2nd? I don't know - I don't like the new NBA style of drafting I guess.

Sean May is the next Carlos Boozer. "He isn't big enough to play center" - well move him to powerfoward.

I agree with the Sean May comparison. He'll be a much better scorer. As far as Williams. Theres two things you have to understand. One. You dont just come in your freshman year and start for North Carolina. Two. The NBA draft, the past 10 years or so, has been built around potential. Most of the superstars today were drafted on sheer potential. Nowitski, Ginobli, all the high school players. Williams wont be any different. Some fail to reach that potential ( Kwame Brown , Jonathan Bender ) , but you cant deny that its there. Williams may have the most potential then anyone in recent years. Thats not counting Lebron, because that guy was just a freak phenomenon.

MoRcHeEbA
06-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I think Toronto is trying to follow in the steps of Golden State :|

YOUR Hero
06-28-2005, 08:40 PM
LOL, did you here the commentators absolutely (again) ripping Toronto's 1st choice? LOL.

MoRcHeEbA
06-28-2005, 08:57 PM
they took the one position they don't need. terrible.

Kid Robb
06-28-2005, 08:59 PM
lol Toronto.

RP
06-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I cant believe Indiana didnt take Gerald Green and now , ofcourse the Celtics get him and Stima is probably creaming right now. If he isnt he should be cause that guy is gunna be amazing.

Danny Granger better fucking be a All-Star. Cause Green will be.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Gerald Green was projected as the best high school player nation and he fell to the Celtics. Al Jefferson beasted motherfuckers this season as a rookie straight outta HS. Hopefully Green does the same.

LOL@Toronto though. Fucking horrible pick.

The Miz
06-28-2005, 10:43 PM
LMAO the hairless guy?

The Miz
06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
The Sonics picked some French dude with dreads. :cool: I dunno though, 2 foreign guys, we are either gonna look like genisues or idiot a year from now.

BCWWF
06-29-2005, 03:33 AM
The French guy with dreads looks like the shit. I wish the Wolves took him, they basically said Bracey Wright (the guy we took right before that) has no shot in the NBA.

Anyway, Sean May would have been nice, but I just didn't think he would fit into the Wolves team. I think him and Emeka will make one helluva front line in the future. I'm not disappointed in McCants. We didn't need another SF, and I think McCants style will fit in right away with us. Also, I can't imagine a head case too strong for KG :)

Anyway, overall a pretty entertaining draft. Why the Magic and Clippers passed on Gerald Green is beyond me. I don't like Jack on the Blazers too much, I wish the Wolves or Sonics or some cool team got him. Linas Kleiza went first round, lol. It's funny because watching him in college he was the most talented player on our team, but the shittiest one too. At least he's got guaranteed money for a few years from Stan Kroenke, then he can go back to Lithuania and sit pretty.

Kid Robb
06-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Any one of the top couple could have gone no 1 really. Marvin Williams could be the standout longterm, but Bogut will be pretty good. If the Bucks can re-sign Redd and TJ Ford gets fit again then that's starting to look pretty solid. Will help Bogut no end to have Kukoc on his team, having grown up idolising him.

Green will be a good pick up. Celts looking alright if they keep it all together.

DaveWadding
06-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Any one of the top couple could have gone no 1 really. Marvin Williams could be the standout longterm, but Bogut will be pretty good. If the Bucks can re-sign Redd and TJ Ford gets fit again then that's starting to look pretty solid. Will help Bogut no end to have Kukoc on his team, having grown up idolising him.

Green will be a good pick up. Celts looking alright if they keep it all together.You'll have your Bogut jersey ordered tomorrow, eh? ;)

The Miz
06-29-2005, 01:20 PM
:love: Nate Robinson. He wouldve be the man on Phoenix.

Crimson
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
The Lakers are retarded by taking Bynum...he's 17 and the Lakers need immediate help. I think drafting a Sean May, or Granger woulda been a hella better.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Nate Robinson is ridiculous. 5'9 and dunking it like it's nothing.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-29-2005, 11:54 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/NYML161062900_lower.jpg

BCWWF
06-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Yeah seriously, the Suns should have kept Q and Robinson and won it all next year

Kid Robb
06-30-2005, 07:13 AM
You'll have your Bogut jersey ordered tomorrow, eh? ;)

:lol: every store in the city will be selling them in a week or two.

AB grew up about 10 minutes from where I did, so it's pretty cool to see the big man go no 1.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Celtics got Ryan Gomes too. I am loving life right now.

RoXer
06-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Diogu goes to GOLDEN STATE :love:

I don't know why people were booing. It's an excellent pick for the postion they need.

AlphaBean
07-01-2005, 11:12 PM
The French guy with dreads looks like the shit. I wish the Wolves took him, they basically said Bracey Wright (the guy we took right before that) has no shot in the NBA.

Anyway, Sean May would have been nice, but I just didn't think he would fit into the Wolves team. I think him and Emeka will make one helluva front line in the future. I'm not disappointed in McCants. We didn't need another SF, and I think McCants style will fit in right away with us. Also, I can't imagine a head case too strong for KG :)

Anyway, overall a pretty entertaining draft. Why the Magic and Clippers passed on Gerald Green is beyond me. I don't like Jack on the Blazers too much, I wish the Wolves or Sonics or some cool team got him. Linas Kleiza went first round, lol. It's funny because watching him in college he was the most talented player on our team, but the shittiest one too. At least he's got guaranteed money for a few years from Stan Kroenke, then he can go back to Lithuania and sit pretty.
Headcases too strong for KG:

Rasho
Wally
Spree
Sam

Probably Rickert, too.

BCWWF
07-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I blame this season more on age then attitude. Cassell was injured half the year and Spree was just simply too old. Instead of playing Wally what he deserved, they kept Spree in which ruined the team chemistry. The fact remains that KG will demand your respect, and all kinds of people would lose money to play with him. I'm glad that the Wolves picked McCants, because he has a bigger upside then the 50 small forwards we were expected to take. If KG can't turn McCants around, then nobody can, but if he can turn him around he could be the top player from this draft.

AlphaBean
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
I blame this season more on age then attitude. Cassell was injured half the year and Spree was just simply too old. Instead of playing Wally what he deserved, they kept Spree in which ruined the team chemistry. The fact remains that KG will demand your respect, and all kinds of people would lose money to play with him. I'm glad that the Wolves picked McCants, because he has a bigger upside then the 50 small forwards we were expected to take. If KG can't turn McCants around, then nobody can, but if he can turn him around he could be the top player from this draft.
Name one player who took a pay cut to play with KG.

AlphaBean
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
In fact, name one fucking player who is making only what he is worth and not more.

I'm looking at you, Trenton Hassell.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Celtics got Will Bynum on their summer league team :eek: I know he probably won't make it but that's still sick. They used to have summer league games at UMass Boston but I think they play out in Utah now instead :mad:

BCWWF
07-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Name one player who took a pay cut to play with KG.
It makes it kind of hard to sign players when you trade for Latrell Sprewell's 15 million dollar contract and overpay Wally Szczerbiak and Michael Olowokandi. If Kevin McHale knew how to run a team, he would have picked up Jason Kidd, who made it clear that he wanted to play with Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan. Maybe not a pay cut, but the best point guard in the league practically begging to be moved.

BCWWF
07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
In fact, name one fucking player who is making only what he is worth and not more.

This is a problem throughout the whole NBA, and although the Timberwolves are one of the teams leading the campaign, the Knicks are what fuck things up the most.

When you have the ability to outbid another team by paying a player more then he is worth, then the whole league eventually gets fucked up.

AlphaBean
07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah McHale was like, why would you trade for a 30+ player who will only be playing half a season? Fuck you McHale. He really thought we had a chance. :(

BCWWF
07-02-2005, 06:27 PM
If by the 30+ player who will only be playing half a season you are referring to Jason Kidd, then might I remind you that the trade would have been primarily for Sam Cassell, who happens to be a 30+ player who played half the season and was half as effective as Jason Kidd.

BCWWF
07-02-2005, 06:28 PM
The Wolves have at least two years before they can contend though. They might be able to bounce back into the playoffs next year, since Memphis looks to be finished, but they will be like a 7 seed and lose first round :yawn:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-02-2005, 06:33 PM
"If I had a nickle for everytime Rashad McCants got down and played defense - I'd have a nickle" - Jay Bilas

This is like the greatest draft ever though, Green and 1st team All American Gomez. Yup I'll take that

AlphaBean
07-02-2005, 08:08 PM
If by the 30+ player who will only be playing half a season you are referring to Jason Kidd, then might I remind you that the trade would have been primarily for Sam Cassell, who happens to be a 30+ player who played half the season and was half as effective as Jason Kidd.
Don't argue with me. I was loosely quoting McHale. He didn't want to waste players who could "win now," for a player who wouldn't be healthy until the all star break.

But then, McHale has never done anything smart, so I'm not surprised.

The Outlaw
07-02-2005, 08:12 PM
LOL Bilas is the man

Kennedy Winston didn't get drafted. I was pretty shocked. Must have scared people away with two knee surgeries.

LOL @ Toronto

Also, Knicks fans are morons.

BCWWF
07-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Are you saying that you liked McHale not making that move, or are you making fun of him?

AlphaBean
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Making fun of him.

ARGH NEVERMIND.

BCWWF
07-02-2005, 08:34 PM
STFU :rant:

The Miz
07-02-2005, 08:46 PM
the Suns[...] and won it all next year
LOL

BCWWF
07-02-2005, 09:35 PM
What are you quoting and what significance is it supposed to have?

The Miz
07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Just the addition of Nate Robinson is not going to get the Suns any closer to a title next year.

BCWWF
07-03-2005, 01:56 AM
It wouldn't hurt though. They still would have needed to add a piece to the puzzle, but having a guy for Nash to lean back on wouldn't hurt anybody

The Miz
07-03-2005, 02:26 AM
For the Suns to win the championship they'd have to throw out their entire style. Winning every game 120-116 is not gonna win a championship. But who am I to second guess Mike "Coach of the Year" D'Antoni

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-03-2005, 03:02 AM
If WILL THE THRILL BYNUM makes the Celtics I will def get his jersey. I remember Bynum from the Chicago Prep High School hoops days on Fox Sports Net.

The Miz
07-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Will Bynum got drafted? That guy was the man at GT

Gertner
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
lol Frye to the Knicks. Frye is as soft as a marshmallow.

My Jazz got Williams. Anything is an upgrade of McLeod

BCWWF
07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
The Jazz were stupid for getting rid of Arroyo last year.

Gertner
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
They were stupid in the sense that they had nobody to replace them. I wouldn't have minded that move if they had a plan B

BCWWF
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I thought Arroyo was pretty good though, and after the Olympics and everything I was expecting him to have a breakout year, but then the Jazz pretty much shitted on him and let a third string guy play.

Gertner
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I thought he was pretty good as well. He just fell into Sloan's doghouse and couldn't get out. At least they were able to unload his contract, as he had just signed long-term. Jazz looking at making a run for Willie Green. They should be alot better. Or else I'll cry again.