PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle Interview

Marc the Smark
06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
The Miami Herald recently conducted an interview with Kurt Angle where Angle goes into detail about some very interesting things regarding his trade to RAW, what the guys are like on that brand, why he would rather watch Rey Mysterio instead of Triple H vs. Batista and wanting a new character change.

In regards to his jump to RAW, Angle noted that he wasn't told until the night of the ECW One Night Stand PPV. "Afterward Vince came to me, which meant I had 24 hours to be prepared to go to Raw. He told me I was going to stay there in New York and fly out to a different city. They were going to drive me into Rochester and put me in a hotel room under a different name. He kept it really secret. It was just amazing how secretive he was being about the trade." Angle also talked about how he was spotted by a fan earlier that night in a convenience store. "When I walked in, there was a fan saying, `Hey Angle, what are you doing? You're getting traded.' I said, 'No. I have an appearance up here. Then we're going up to Hershey. We have a show in Hershey tomorrow.' He's like, 'Yeah, right.' I said, `No. I'm serious.' Here is this guy two hours away from the city where we're in. He was going to the show that night, and I finally talked him into believing me. I thought, `Jeez. I better not get out of the limo again."

Angle also went into detail about his jump to RAW that night. "I went into the hotel, and they kept me there until 9:30 at night. They came and got me -- put me in Vince's office till five minutes to 11. None of the wrestlers from Raw knew. I came in with a cape over my head. Finally I was exposed right when I came out." He later discussed how the guys he worked with on SmackDown were more like a family, while the guys on RAW have a "competitive edge" and are "scraping, fighting and clawing their way to the top while they're trying to keep everyone else down." Angle also talks about how RAW was always considered the A show for WWE, while SmackDown was considered the B show with many talent jumping to RAW when they were originally put on SmackDown. "Everybody would call us the B show, and it really ticked us off. We were proving that we weren't the B show by our performance. When you have Rey Mysterio versus Kurt Angle, I'm sorry to say, but I'd rather see that match than Triple H versus Batista. I'm just being honest with you from a fan's perspective. You're going to get a lot more action and a lot more excitement."

Towards the end of the interview, Angle discusses how he considers his jump to RAW a "fresh beginning" and how he is getting a chance to work with new guys and get away from the label he had on SmackDown where he was plagued with neck injuries and never given a "shot at the title" because of it. "Hopefully Vince's plans are for me to carry that [world] title. It gives me an opportunity to prove to Vince that I've been injury free the last year. I no longer have to worry about my neck. Before he did, therefore he wouldn't give me anymore title shots." He said one of his main goals on RAW is to perfect his image and erase his previous persona on SmackDown as a "crazed predator" after Booker T's wife. "I didn't necessarily enjoy what I was doing the last couple of months. I didn't like the perverted things. It didn't work for me," Angle said. "Although a lot of people thought I was very good at it, I didn't really enjoy playing the part. What I really think I need to do is take that next step. It took nine years for Stone Cold Steve Austin to decide what worked for him. I've only been doing it five." In staying with the topic, Angle notes that he wouldn't mind a character change. "What I would like to do now is get rid of the red, white and blue to have a little more edge to me. It's not like I want to be like Stone Cold or Triple H. I just want to be the real me. I enjoy doing the funny stuff. I enjoy doing what Vince McMahon likes me to do, but I also enjoy being the top guy and making money for the company and for myself."

Credit: Joey Styles @ 1wrestling.com

Chavo Classic
06-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Kurt Angle might be an amazing wrestler and in the ring he is GOD. But he's far too boring enough for me to even start trying to read through that mass of words. I'd rather he do his talking in the ring.

PureHatred
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM
WOW.....there's just so much about this interview that I love.

First, I can just imagine some guy in the middle of nowhere running into Angle and debating him on whether or not he's getting traded. Maybe if he bitches too muhc, Angle slaps on the Ankle Lock.....

And then the stuff about the difference between SD and Raw, both Backstage and in the ring. And how he thinks a fan would rather watch Rey v Angle instead of Trips v Batista...:love: Actually, a couple of thinly veiled shots at Trips in there...

And then the talk about wanting to be the top man in the company. Throw that in there with the comments he made in the interview posted on tpww's main page (where he says that the only reason he hasn't been allowed to run with the ball has been his neck problems and how now he's healthy so theres nothing holding him back...) and it really sounds as though Kurt wants to take his place as the main guy in the WWE. And can anyone really say he doesn't deserve the position?

God, I'm in full mark mode, now.

Can't wait to <s>download Savior's pirate copies of</s> watch Vengeance.

PureHatred
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Kurt Angle might be an amazing wrestler and in the ring he is GOD. But he's far too boring enough for me to even start trying to read through that mass of words. I'd rather he do his talking in the ring.

This is what happens when we speak from ignorance.

KayfabeMan
06-27-2005, 03:24 PM
You can read the full interview itself on Herald.com's wrestling section.

Pretty interesting read.

Chavo Classic
06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
This is what happens when we speak from ignorance.

Pretty much. But never forget that ignorance = bliss.

I suppose I should give it a read.

KayfabeMan
06-27-2005, 03:41 PM
You can read the full interview itself on Herald.com's wrestling section.

Pretty interesting read.

Chavo Classic
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Who's the star of the comedy Groundhog Day?

Schoenauer
06-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Bill Murray, but what the hell does that have to do with the topic?

Chavo Classic
06-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Whos the star of the comedy Groundhog Day?

Batsu
06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
He later discussed how the guys he worked with on SmackDown were more like a family, while the guys on RAW have a "competitive edge" and are "scraping, fighting and clawing their way to the top while they're trying to keep everyone else down."

LMAO. Excellent. Something tells me that "goodbye, HHH" send off they had when he was drafted to SD! was a little less "scripted" than expected.

TerranRich
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey, Kayfabe Man, can I read the full interview itself on Herald.com's wrestling section?

And it is an interesting read?

Loose Cannon
06-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't get your post

Loose Cannon
06-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I swear if that's a Family Guy reference or something.

thecc
06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Intresting how angle keeps metioning the world heavyweight title and none to the wwe championship.

El Santo
06-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Intresting how angle keeps metioning the world heavyweight title and none to the wwe championship.

I doubt that means anything. Angle was kept in the dark about most of the goings-on regarding the trade anyway.

The article was very interesting. I love the fan encounter and how Angle sidestepped the whole trade speculation. I'm wondering what would happen, though, if that fan remained unconvinced and an Angle trade rumor spread all over the net.

And I also like Angle's comments on how Smackdown is more a family (which I was I personally enjoy it over Raw) and how Raw is more competitive where certain people are trying to hold down talent.

Thinking of someone specifically, Kurt?
;)

Shadow
06-27-2005, 09:31 PM
I swear if that's a Family Guy reference or something.

I want to know what you'll do LC. I really want to know.

tucsonspeed6
06-28-2005, 09:31 AM
I now present to you: "Kurt Angle vs. The Convenience Store Kid"

Kid: "Hey Angle, what are you doing here? Are you getting traded to Raw?"
Angle: "No. I have some appearance or something...:shifty:"
Kid: "Liar! You're getting traded!"
Angle: "Nuh uh! I am not!"
Kid: "Yes you are!"
Angle: "No I'm not!"
Angle: "No I'm not!"

*45 minutes later...*

Angle: "No you're not!"
Kid: "Yes I am!"
Angle: "You're getting traded to Raw!?! Oh boy!"
*Angle turns quickly to get out of the store as quick as he can*

Kid: "You ARE going to Raw, and I'm gonna tell EVERYBODY on the INTERNET!!!"

*Close up on Angle's steely blue eyes as the word "Internet" echo's louder and louder, each time his eyes get wider and more terrified.*

Angle (whispering in terror): "Brock!!!"

*Angle turns sharply and faces the kid like a lion trapped in a corner. The kid starts to run away, but it's too late. Angle grabs the kid's ankle and begins twisting. The kid screams in agony."

Angle: "Who's getting traded to Raw?"
Kid: "You are!"

*Angle twists harder*

Angle: "WHO?!?"
Kid: "I am!"
Angle: "That's what I thought."

And some say to this day that if you watch a tape of that particular Raw, you can see a sign in the background that says, "Draft ME!" Many believe that it's just a guy with no originality, but me and grandpa...we think it was that poor kid. That poor sad little kid....

YOUR Hero
06-30-2005, 01:04 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>tucsonspeed6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Don't do anymore spoofs, parodies, etc.

YOU SUCK

DarkAngel
06-30-2005, 01:20 PM
angle's pretty cool

TerranRich
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
http://images.xylot.com/crocklesnar.jpg
Internet? Er? CRIKEY!

Corkscrewed
06-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Cool interview. Good to hear Kurt took one for the team with his pervert crap. I wouldn't think he'd have liked it.

The only thing that can stop Kurt is injuries. Hopefully, get that title reign and continues to establish himself as one of the greatest ever.