PDA

View Full Version : NHL team approaches Winnipeg this time.

MoRcHeEbA
01-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Report: NHL team approaches Winnipeg

TSN.ca Staff

1/17/2004

(TSN.ca) - The Winnipeg Sun is reporting that an unidentified NHL team has approached the City of Winnipeg about possible relocation.

Deputy mayor Don Vandal received a voice mail from a representative of an American-based club that is interested in potentially moving to Winnipeg. "They're asking 'How serious is Winnipeg, because we're in trouble," Vandal told the paper.

The reported team is not the Pittsburgh Penguins, a team that Vandal has courted in recent weeks, but he would confirm that it is a team that is not doing well financially.

TV stations in Winnipeg are saying it's Nashville,Carolina or New Jersey.

I'm taking this one with a grain of salt anyways :-\

MoRcHeEbA
01-18-2004, 12:17 AM
http://beerforbreakfast.org/Jets/newsindex.html

"inside source" says it's nashville.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-18-2004, 01:49 AM
isn't the NHL just going to go on strike soon anyways?

BCWWF
01-18-2004, 02:26 AM
I dont know why they would expand hockey into Tennessee in the first place?

MoRcHeEbA
01-18-2004, 02:35 AM
or florida or texas or california or anywhere the temp doesnt drop below 50 degrees

MoRcHeEbA
01-18-2004, 02:35 AM
and yeah there's a pretty good chance they will get locked out next year.

YOUR Hero
01-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Nashville's doing well this year (attendance wise) I thought. That's a bit of a surprise to hear.

Get this. I hear Anaheim may sell. They may also relocate if they do.

road doggy dogg
01-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Anaheim's been rumoured to sell for a while now

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
and yeah there's a pretty good chance they will get locked out next year.
lol nice job NHL.......lose MORE fan interest :y:

YOUR Hero
01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Because your interest in hockey is low doesn't mean whatever labour dispute they may have is going to kill the whole leagues interest. It's not going help mind you, but the sport will survive, just as baseball did.

Just got to get rid of a bunch of stupid american franchises, bring the game back toit's real fans.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Baseball also had the Sosa/McGuire thing

I don't think Hockey will have anything like that

da_king
01-18-2004, 01:21 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

the nhl has only had like two work stoppages, the last one being ten or so years ago so it's not like it's something that people are fed up about or used to seeing. the NHL has been pretty stable in this regard and hopefully will continue to be so after the next agreement.

</font>

YOUR Hero
01-18-2004, 01:26 PM
There are planned rule changes coming up with hockey. Exactly what they will be yet is undecided, but they're planned to increase scoring. That will bring interest.

MoRcHeEbA
01-18-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm really not a big fan of seeing hockey games that are gonna be 7-4 those games aren't exciting.

BCWWF
01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
The Mighty Ducks should come back to District 6 in Minneapolis, where they began :shifty:

But, also I thought that Nashville wasn't doing all too bad so far this year. Is Atlanta gaining more interest too?

All in all, the Panthers and Hurricanes should be moved to Canada or smaller cities with big hockey interest, like Duluth, or Madison, or Milwaukee, or somewhere else in Michigan.

DaveBrawl
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Maybe it's me but I don't believe the NHL should have that many teams. It makes everyone worse off because the talent pool is so thin. Because of this you have unstoppable teams like Detroit, Dallas a few years ago, Jersey and even my team the Av's. 32 teams is way to much for any sport especially hockey, and please move some teams back to the great white north. They invented the sport let them have some teams. Nashville, Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix and even Carolina and Tampa will most likely never have much success as a business where they are located, because the South is not a region big on hockey and the high hockey prices make interest even lower. So I hope one of these teams do indeed head back to Winnipeg and some of them are cut back.