PDA

View Full Version : More played out horror genre: Zombie movies or Vampire movies?

The Answer
07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Discuss..

Kane Knight
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Zombie movies are more played out, primarily because there really isn't very much you can do with them. While there are more vampire cliches, there is more depth to the genre too.

El Santo
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Typical zombie movie plot:
1.) Some catastrophe causes dead to rise.
2.) Band of people get together to get away from zombies.
3.) Friend #1 turns into zombie (slow turn, everybody is sad , and person pleads for everyone to kill him before he turns into a complete zombie)
4.) Everyone walled up in a building.
5.) Friend #2 turns into zombie (which is the shocking surprise turn, like "Oh my God he's a zombie!!!" despite the fact the earlier turn showed that zombification is a slow process)
6.) Everyone dies OR the zombies all die OR the group reaches a safe haven where nobody dies but the zombies are still partying outside

UmbrellaCorporation
07-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I like zombie movies (ANY Zombie movie, no matter how cheesy or shitty it is) better than I do Vampire movies. Although, I have to give Vampire movies some credit too, for being awesome. There's just something about zombies that amaze me in films/games/books/etc.

Shaggy
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I dont have a problem with either of the two but Zombie movies are more played out than Vampire ones....althought most Vampire movies do tend to suck ...no pun intended

Ninti the Mad
07-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I dont see how vampire movies are played out.

At least, not at the moment.

Requiem
07-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I have to say that zombie movies are too overdone. Vampire movies... there just aren't enough good ones.

As far as quality goes, "Interview with the Vampire" is the only really good one I can think of. Quick entertainment value? I'd just go with the Blade movies or maybe Underworld.

El Santo
07-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I dont have a problem with either of the two but Zombie movies are more played out than Vampire ones....althought most Vampire movies do tend to suck ...no pun intended

True. It's tough when your movie library includes "Underworld", "Queen of the Damned", "Dracula: Dead and Loving It", "Blade: Trinity", "Vampire in Brooklyn", and "Blacula".

Requiem
07-12-2005, 08:23 PM
They should re-do Queen of the Damned using the director who did Interview, and shouldn't do it at all unless they can get the same actors.

Crimson
07-12-2005, 08:34 PM
How could anyone say zombie movies are more played out? I can name like twice as more vampire movies. Some good ,some bad on both sides ..i still have a thing for zombie movies though.

Land of the dead was pretty good.

Adder
07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Zombie movies tend to follow the same plot, whereas a vampire movie does not. For that reason, even though they've made more Vampire movies I give the nod of "more played out" to....

Zombie Movies!

Crimson
07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Yea true..there's not really any other way to make up a zombie movie i mean how else is the dead gonna rise without somekinda chemical catastrophe? lol

Champion of Europa
07-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I love From Dusk Till Dawn, and don't enjoy many zombie movies, so I'm going with zombies on here.

KillerWolf
07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
i think that zombie movies had a pretty good "buzz" going because they came out with a few really good ones over a short period of time - 28 DAYS LATER, DAWN OF THE DEAD (Remake). SHAUN OF THE DEAD (Comedy), but then George Romero came out with LAND OF THE DEAD which was all hyped up to be his "masterpiece", and it was an utter piece of shit. The fucking thing played out like a Made-for-TV, USA Original Picture-with Dennis Hopper ta boot. And now everyone is pretty sick zombie movies because of that movie.

IMO 28 Days Later was the first original idea in the genre in a long time. But there is not much else that can be done with that genre. Vampire movies, on the other hand, I think tend to come with a little higher expectations (and usually fall a little short)

My favorite vampire movie (dispite it's flaws) is NEAR DARK.

The Answer
07-29-2005, 08:10 PM
I love From Dusk Till Dawn, and don't enjoy many zombie movies, so I'm going with zombies on here.

Ya Dusk till dawn was cool. I also liked James Carpenter's vampires(James Woods and Alec Baldwin's brother)

Boondock Saint
07-30-2005, 04:03 AM
i think that zombie movies had a pretty good "buzz" going because they came out with a few really good ones over a short period of time - 28 DAYS LATER, DAWN OF THE DEAD (Remake). SHAUN OF THE DEAD (Comedy), but then George Romero came out with LAND OF THE DEAD which was all hyped up to be his "masterpiece", and it was an utter piece of shit. The fucking thing played out like a Made-for-TV, USA Original Picture-with Dennis Hopper ta boot. And now everyone is pretty sick zombie movies because of that movie.

IMO 28 Days Later was the first original idea in the genre in a long time. But there is not much else that can be done with that genre. Vampire movies, on the other hand, I think tend to come with a little higher expectations (and usually fall a little short)

My favorite vampire movie (dispite it's flaws) is NEAR DARK.

Land of the Dead is leaps and bounds better than 28 Days Later.

KillerWolf
07-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Land of the Dead is leaps and bounds better than 28 Days Later.
WOW!

just......

WOW!

Amaroqwolf
08-01-2005, 12:29 AM
They should re-do Queen of the Damned using the director who did Interview, and shouldn't do it at all unless they can get the same actors.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the only reaccuring Character in this movie Lestat? So there for getting Tom Cruise to play him again would be...a Good thing? Am I getting this or does it seem....wrong somehow?