PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Mainstream Wrestling...?

PullMyFinger
07-26-2005, 02:21 AM
This week has been a rather crazy week as far as mainstream wrestling goes.

TNA announced a deal with Spike, and NWA Ohio has stated WWA will be a mainstream company with a national TV deal, monthly PPVs, etc.

This sounds relatively exciting, but I'm wondering what your take is on all this?

Personally, I think (at least I'd hope) that WWA and TNA will merge at some point. Perhaps TNA might collapse to WWA or vice versa.

After this weeks Raw, yet again, I remembered just how great the days where with Nitro and Raw competing against one another.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, who knows. However, a competitive wrestling promotion IMO will not come until it has a large $$$ bank that can steal away 2 or 3 of WWE's biggest superstars. TNA's shit isn't cutting it right now as far as releases go.

Impact!
07-26-2005, 02:25 AM
I'd say before they bring in a big WWE name they stole they need to grab the attention of the fans with a big WWE not under contract ie; Rock, Hogan, Goldberg :shifty: , Foley, and so on.

crap I forgot what point I was trying to make.

darkpower
07-26-2005, 03:09 AM
It could be enough.

At this point, ANY competition is welcome. The WWE is at it's best when they are up against another promotion, so if TNA can get into the game and stop with the shit they are trying to do, whatever the reason, I would think they could give the WWE the competition they need right now.

freerock1.com
07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
I'd say before they bring in a big WWE name they stole they need to grab the attention of the fans with a big WWE not under contract ie; Rock, Hogan, Goldberg :shifty: , Foley, and so on.

crap I forgot what point I was trying to make.
I like your idea, just hopefully TNA wouldn't end up jobbing him to Jarrett. They tried with Hogan (and Sting), but both ended up playing 2nd fiddle to JJ.

But now if they could get some of those guys (especially Foley, and Rock if they could cough up the $$) in an NWO-esque angle (maybe even have them team up with Hall & Nash for nostalgic purposes -- but not put too much focus on those guys), it could work very well.

PullMyFinger
07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
An nWo angle that early? Ridiculous IMO.

Shaggy
07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
I dont care what any company does right now as long as its something new. I dont wanna relive the same damn storylines every 5 years. I dont want one company to do something just because another company did it to get them a fan base. I want something new and original that I wouldnt expect.

Take the whole McMahon/Internet thing now...hes been using the net to advance certain things in the wwe. I like this because its something us fans thought Vince would never do and its never really been done before.

freerock1.com
07-26-2005, 10:59 PM
An nWo angle that early? Ridiculous IMO.
Now I didn't say they should do an exact copy of the NWO; obviously that would be unoriginal, and the fans would see through it. And actually they already tried revisiting the whole Outsiders angle when they brought Hall & Nash into TNA, and it didn't play out that well.

My hope is that they could play up the arrival of Rock, Foley, or whomever, in a unique way that would capture casual fans. What the best way to do that would be, I don't know. But the thing about the NWO (in its original form) was that it was something fresh, something that had never been seen before. Simply a big name talent doesn't make a successful storyline. Like Shaggy said, it has to be something innovative.

As far as my mention of Hall or Nash, if they could be worked into the story without seeming like they're just being dug up from the past, it would be some great nostalgia, but of course don't force it if it's not going to work.

So I'm not at all saying TNA should have a dead knock-off of the NWO. What I am advocating is something the NWO had that made it successful: innovation.

Sorry for not being clearer in my original post. :y:

Kane Knight
07-26-2005, 11:31 PM
The future of mainstream wrestling needs to first survive the present. The climate isn't great, and TNA isn't off to a great start.

Fox
07-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I know I will be watching (or atleast recording) TNA Impact on Spike TV every Saturday night in hopes that they get good enough ratings for a prime time Monday night slot. If, that is, they have the balls to go head to head with RAW.

BigDaddyCool
07-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Me, I'm the future of mainstream wrestling. I will be the best at something and dicate how wrestling will look. I will be the greatest champion ever, and then get pissed at vince, and start my own promotion and rival vince with out doing stupid crap WCW did.