PDA

View Full Version : An interview with Batista

Impact!
07-30-2005, 12:39 AM
For any of you interestsed

An interview with Batista from IGN.com

Batista: Animal Unleashed
The big man talks Smackdown, JBL, and his lunch box collection.
by Jon Robinson
July 21, 2005 - If power equals pain, nobody in wrestling delivers more punishment than Batista. From pulverizing opponents with wicked clotheslines to finishing off foes with his devastating Batista Bomb, he's the champ for a reason, and it's a spot Batista isn't about to give up.

"Call me cocky, whatever, but this is my belt and I'm keeping it," the big man told me as we discussed everything from his move to Smackdown to his championship match at the Great American Bash against JBL. And who was I to argue. This former power lifter is one of the strongest men to ever step inside the squared circle and his run with the strap could be a long one.

Besides, there's a time to be cocky and there's a time to cold cock your opponent, and Batista seems to know the perfect timing for both.

IGN Sports: When did you first know that you were going to be switching shows and heading to Smackdown?

Batista: I knew the day Cena showed up on Raw. [laughs] I wasn't told, but I knew. I knew that our show wasn't big enough for two champions. I had actually heard rumors about it a while back when they started talking draft, and at first, I have to be honest, I wasn't too happy about. I love Raw, I was very proud of Raw, and I've said it before and got a lot of heat for in past interviews, but it's a pride factor. I was very much in my comfort zone, especially with the fans who had finally gotten to know me and felt comfortable with me and were taking a liking to me. So I wasn't too happy about the trade at first, and I was also a little bit nervous because I didn't know how the Smackdown locker room as well as the Smackdown fans would accept me after having said some not-too-nice things about Smackdown. But now that I've been there a few weeks, it's incredible, it's awesome. The only thing I miss now are some very close friends as well as the live TV aspect.

IGN Sports: How secretive was the draft? Did you know Cena was showing up or did you find out like the rest of us when he headed down to the ring?

Batista: I didn't know until the day he showed up and that's the honest to God's truth.

IGN Sports: How were they able to keep such a big secret with all of those people in the company?

Batista: I have no idea. I think a few very, very, very top people knew, but nobody else was told. I know Jericho didn't even know who was coming down the ramp when he made his introduction. He had no idea it was going to be Cena.

IGN Sports: One good aspect about switching shows is the fact that you have all new opponents to work with. Then again, the negative side is you get to feel the Clothesline from Hell. How stiff is that shot?

Batista: It's a shoot, man. [laughs] I don't think people realize just how big Bradshaw is. He's a huge guy, a former football player, and he brings it a little bit, which is necessary, especially with me. Like you said, I'm looking forward to some new opponents, some new guys to learn from. I'm already starting to learn a lot from The Undertaker. He's starting to school me already. I think he sees a little bit of potential in me, so he's already working with me a little bit. I'm also really looking forward to working with Eddie Guerrero. I just think Eddie is so underrated, he's one of the most awesome performers ever to perform in this industry.

IGN Sports: Is the Clothesline from Hell one of the harder shots you get hit with in the ring or is there another move that you dread having to take?

Batista: The Pedigree is not pleasant. [laughs] The Pedigree is one of those moves that I don't think looks as devastating as it is. It just knocks you senseless. You lose all control of your body. You can still see, you just can't function. In terms of the Clothesline from Hell, it just knocks you silly, knocks you out for a second. It's definitely one of the most devastating moves in wrestling.

IGN Sports: What should people expect when you step in the ring with JBL this Sunday at The Great American Bash?

Batista: I don't want to put expectations out there, I just want people to sit back and enjoy the match. Honestly, I'm at the top of my game. I'm full of confidence, maybe even a little bit cocky, and that's coming off of three victories against Triple H, probably the most dominant wrestler in the history of the business. It's not a matter of will I win, it's a matter of how fast will I win. I don't plan on giving up this championship. It's not something I see happening.

IGN Sports: You already wrestled Hell in a Cell. What other types of gimmick matches are you looking forward to? You talked about The Undertaker. Can we expect a casket match in the near future?

Batista: The gimmick matches are just something you don't look forward to, but they're inevitable in this business. The Hell in a Cell match literally took everything out of me, both mentally and physically. The next day I was sore, I was beat up, and I was mentally drained. That thing is a ruthless contraption and I don't think anybody would want to do it. You do it because it's part of our business and you have to. The casket match, I don't like hearses, I don't like caskets, I don't like dead people. [laughs] I just don't know if that's going to happen, but I hope in the future that there is a match against The Undertaker. He's one of the biggest challenges I could ever face, and that's why I'm in this business, to challenge myself.

IGN Sports: One thing you've been doing since Wrestlemania is the old school Warrior rope shake. Were you a Warrior fan growing up?

Batista: That's a total Warrior rip-off. That's my homage to the Warrior. Of course I loved to watch him growing up, I didn't know anyone who didn't. He was always so intense, so full of energy, so full of excitement…he was awesome. So yeah, it's a total Warrior rip-off.

IGN Sports: Can we expect to see you in face paint and tassels anytime soon?

Batista: That ain't happening. [laughs] You know what, a quote from Ric Flair is: "Somebody who can throw on a pair of boots and some tights and work is always going to have a job in this business." That's what I want to do, that's where I want to go, I just want to become a better performer. No gimmicks, no paint, I just want to throw on my trunks and my boots, go out there and learn my craft.

IGN Sports: At some recent house shows, I've heard that you were able to close the show posing with Hulk Hogan. What's it like to hear that kind of ovation from the crowd?

Batista: It's actually kind of surreal. I grew up watching Hulk Hogan, so I can't believe I'm standing in the same ring with him. I remember the first really big match I had was against Shawn Michaels and I remember very vividly when he made his entrance. It just didn't seem real. It was like watching TV. It's the same when I'm in the ring with Hulk Hogan. It just doesn't seem real, especially when we're posing. I feel like I'm the little kid he pulled out of the audience to pose with him. That's what it feels like.

IGN Sports: A few years ago, did you think by 2005, you'd not only headline Wrestlemania but you'd be the champ this soon?

Batista: No. Plain and simply, no. I never thought, never imagined, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would reach this height of the WWE. When I first got into this business, I wasn't even sure if I was ever going to make it to the WWE. Then when I finally did make it, first thing they did was stick me in a suit and give me some goofy box to carry around. That was pretty much it. I figured they didn't think too much of me, figured my career wasn't going anywhere at that point. Then things just kept getting better and better. It's been a crazy ride and for me, it has happened really fast.

IGN Sports: There are a lot of rumors about Brock Lesnar coming back to WWE. Is that a match you are looking forward to, almost like an ultimate battle of the big men?

Batista: That would be pretty bold to say that it's the ultimate, but I think he'll definitely be back. I know he misses it. I know he loves it. I know he hasn't signed, and I don't even know if he does sign if he'll end up on Smackdown or Raw, but if he does end up on Smackdown, that is definitely a future match. I know the fans would insist on it, and the fans usually get what they want. So if Brock does return and he's on Smackdown, the match will happen. I guarantee it.

IGN Sports: It seems like the wrestling community wants to know everything about the superstars these days. What's something about Batista that maybe your biggest fans don't even know?

Batista: They pretty much know all of the embarrassing things like my lunch box collection and my Yorkies that I get a bunch of grief over. I'm pretty much an open book. If someone has a question, I'll tell them, so I think my fans know just about everything.

IGN Sports: I didn't know you collected lunch boxes.

Batista: You didn't know? [laughs] Yeah, I collect old vintage metal lunch boxes. I have some really good ones, a lot of old ones that are worth some money, but my favorite is the 1967 Green Hornet lunch box. It's my favorite because Bruce Lee is on it.

IGN Sports: Bringing the conversation back to JBL for a second to wrap it up, in Edge's book he talks about how JBL once greeted him in the shower and started rubbing suds on his ass as a way to initiate him into WWE.

Batista: You've gotta love this business. [laughs]

IGN Sports: Has JBL pulled any pranks on you since your arrival on Smackdown?

Batista: Let me tell you something, the day JBL rubs soap on my ass will be JBL's last day. [laughs]