PDA

View Full Version : Leafs lose some heart and grit....

Arashi Kage
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132137

Panthers sign Nieuwendyk and Roberts

TSN.ca Staff

8/1/2005 3:15:42 PM

The Florida Panthers have signed unrestricted free agents Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts.

Monday is the first day teams can sign unrestricted free agents.

The childhood friends, who started their careers in Calgary in 1986-87, were reunited with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the 2003-04 campaign and will now play together for a third time. Roberts had 28 goals and 48 points in 72 games while Nieuwendyk had 22 goals and 50 points in just 64 games.

In 1,030 NHL games, the 39-year-old Roberts has scored 397 goals and 805 points while amassing 2,345 penalty minutes. He was named the winner of the Bill Masterton Trophy in 1995-96 after returning from neck surgery.

Over the same span, the 38-year-old Nieuwendyk has played in 1,177 games, scoring 533 goals and 1,062 points. The Whitby, Ontario native won the Calder Trophy with the Flames in 1987-88 and the Conn Smythe Trophy with Dallas in 1998-99.

Both players won the Stanley Cup with the Flames in 1989 while Nieuwendyk also won with the Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils.

Zen v.W.o.
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I dont get why they'd want to go to Florida if they just wanted to win now, which at their age they kind of have to do. Speaking of their ages, I think the Panthers paid too highly for these two. 1.75m per max for both.
Looks like Tie Domi is gonna leave now too, seeing as how they made mention of the fact he would sign depending upon what happens with his buds. The Pens are rumored to be his destination. Plus the Leafs qualified Belak and Perrott. I think Domi is gone.

Arashi Kage
08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Being a Pens fan, I really don't want to see Domi on the Pens. I've never been a fan of Domi, and I really do not think that he brings anything to the table to significantly help the Penguins.

Zen v.W.o.
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Well Domi is aging and small, so he's not gonna be able to regularly enforce against other teams enforcers. But to protect Sidney this season, they may sign him, cuz Domi can at least play the game well enough, and he will be a detriment to the pests of the league who enjoy taking cheap shots. Guys like Barnaby etc. Plus from time to time he can still drop them and kick some ass.
Hopefully the Pens would have another enforcer in the minors or something capable of playing with Domi against real physical and tough teams.

It's not assured you'll get Domi, but there have been rumblings about it up here.

MoRcHeEbA
08-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Domi isn't playing anywhere but Toronto for the rest of his career he's already said numerous times Toronto is his last team.

Lara Emily
08-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Well Domi is aging and small, so he's not gonna be able to regularly enforce against other teams enforcers. But to protect Sidney this season, they may sign him, cuz Domi can at least play the game well enough, and he will be a detriment to the pests of the league who enjoy taking cheap shots. Guys like Barnaby etc. Plus from time to time he can still drop them and kick some ass.
Hopefully the Pens would have another enforcer in the minors or something capable of playing with Domi against real physical and tough teams.

It's not assured you'll get Domi, but there have been rumblings about it up here.
The Pens have Vandenbusche too.

Zen v.W.o.
08-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Then Domi better accept the max 850,000 dollar offer by Ferguson, otherwise why would, or should they sign him? They wouldnt, which is why they qualified BOTH Belak and Perrott. I bet you what I have in my wallet Domi is gone.

MoRcHeEbA
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Domi was a UFA anyway there was no need to qualify him. He's said he would play for Toronto for less money then other teams would offer so I doubt he's going anywhere.

weather vane
08-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Bruins got Isbister. Decent pick up I guess. He's got size.

MoRcHeEbA
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
I dont get why they'd want to go to Florida if they just wanted to win now, which at their age they kind of have to do. Speaking of their ages, I think the Panthers paid too highly for these two. 1.75m per max for both.

Florida is the best young team in the NHL they will go DEEP into the playoffs not this year but next. They have the BEST young goalie in the league so with some fire power and mentoring of that teams it's a great pick-up. Not to mention the panthers have a ton of cash to spend so why not take a chance.

Zen v.W.o.
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, they will go deep, that doesnt mean they will this year or next. These guys are old, I figured they would go for something a little more immediate.
Nothing is a sure thing of course, but Florida seemed like an odd choice. I think they went there cuz they got an offer that if they waited to test the market longer, they wouldn't have gotten quite that much. I think they pounced on the deal.

Also, Fla is pretty piss poor defensively. No D, no cup.

MoRcHeEbA
08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Bouwmeester > mother

Zen v.W.o.
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Mother what?

That's not enough. Which is why Fla will suck. If not suck, wont be contenders, just pretenders.

Gertner
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
lol Flordia is not the best young team in the NHL Cheeba

Anywho, at first I was pissed, but they are both either are or going to be 39 this year. Time to let go of the past, since the past hasn't won us shit all.

The Gooch
08-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Picking up Jacques Martin as coach will definitely help the Panthers. I do think his time was up here in Ottawa, but I do think the Sens were better off with him than without him.

Isbister for a 4th round pick is a steal. The guy must be a headcase as this makes no sense to me.