PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. Melee secrets

Drakul
08-17-2005, 02:05 AM
So you think you know everything there is to know about Melee? Yeah, I did too at one point... that is until I took part in an ultra-competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament hundreds of miles away from my home.

Many of the participants were like me, cocky and confident, not fearing any competition. I figured my 150 plus hours of battling with my friends were more than enough experience to take home the huge cash prize. Boy was I stupid... what a humbling experience that was.

I began to see a whole new side to Melee and I was fascinated. Most of the participants utilized fighting techniques and game glitches that I had no idea existed. I always believed the HAL-developed brawler was the deepest fighting game of this gaming generation, but from then on, I was convinced it was the deepest fighting game ever.

I was equally awestruck that hardly any of what I found so fascinating had been documented, with the exception of small excerpts buried deep inside unknown message boards. I had to share at least some of the coolest secrets and glitches of Melee with the general public, not just a small, segmented population.

But we at N-Philes didn't want to just stop there. We wanted to discover everything there is to know about Melee. Everything. But how could we possibly do it? What if we tinkered with the game's programming code a bit... what discoveries could we unearth? More characters to fight with? More stages to battle in? Nintendo's very own debug menu? Believe it or not — yes, yes and yes.
The full article: http://n-philes.com/features.php?id=174&p=1

Just shows you all this stuff that was on the disc but never used like secret levels and stuff.Interesting read.:y:

AareDub
08-17-2005, 02:57 AM
I read about this the other day, the only really cool thing is the 6 players option. Some other intereting bits in there, but nothing spectacular.

I guess it would be better if I was a Smash Bros fan, lol.

Funky Fly
08-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Uhh, neat?

I am a Smash Bros fan, and I don't care.

Drakul
08-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Well I was bored so I posted it.

Silent
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
That's pretty interesting. I like when people find out hidden stuff like that in games.

Funky Fly
08-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Well I was bored so I posted it.
Well, I'm not knocking you, it's just that most gamers aren't 1337 haXorz so 99% of the article is somewhat irrelevant.

And as far as the game glitches they mentioned that are used in combat, the landing trick and the sliding with L/R buttons are strategy, not glitches. The landing thing was even in the last Smash Bros. Hey, did you know that if you block while Sheik is holding the needles, you can move around freely with the move charged up, much like Samus, Mewtwo or Donkey Kong do with their charge up moves? Or that there is a way to double Samus' grappling arm in length? Or that Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch is based on a "sweet spot" system like Roy and Marth's swords? Or that Link and Young Link have a double -> + A smash? There are tons of shit like that. A lot of it is widely known. The guy who wrote the article just sucks at the game.

DaveWadding
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Editor's Note: It's not a glitch, but select Ness a split second after someone else selects Pichu, so that "Ness" overrides the "chu". Trust me it's hilarious. -- Jared

Haha, wow. Hilarious. :|

Drakul
08-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Well, I'm not knocking you, it's just that most gamers aren't 1337 haXorz so 99% of the article is somewhat irrelevant.
Im not 1337 haXorz either. I think the guy might suck at the game cos he gets really excited over the smallest thing. "Oh wow did you know Kirby can imitate people! OMG WTF!!111"
I just liked knowing what could have been. Plus lets face it we all want to play as the sandbag :shifty:

Savio
08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I'd like to play on that one big blue course.