PDA

View Full Version : Another "Problems with WWE" thread

Jaton
08-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Okay, I know there's plenty of topics about this, but hear me out. I haven't seen this one brought up yet.

I think the biggest problem right now is the lack of building up the undercard. What I mean by that is that I don't think they put any emphasis on anything other than the main event. They don't make you care to want to see it.

I mean, it's the same shit over and over. Random guy wins IC title, another guy challenges for it. They have 3 matches or so before PPV event, then a match. There's not much story.

Now with the undercard stories they DO build up, they do it in a bad way. Eddie/Rey was fine with Eddie just being jealous of Rey and not being able to beat him. They should've finished it a few months ago, perhaps with Eddie finally going over. Then they introduce this ridiculous shit into it with Dominick.

It's basically like if you're not in the main event, you're fucked. God fucking forbid you're a female, tag team, or even cruiserweight.

Savio
08-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Domonick is fine.

Jaton
08-19-2005, 12:52 AM
I think it's annoying and useless.

Watson
08-19-2005, 01:10 AM
You've got a good point there, Jaton. Other than the Hardy vs. Edge feud. There are no interesting storylines whatsoever going on in the midcard. I don't know what's up with WWE as of late (other than their shitty writing team that's made up of Nickolodean writers, Soap Opera writers, and mediorce comedians) but they need to get there shit together because there's alot of people out there giving up on the product.What I hate the most is how there treating the US and IC title scenes. Just like you said, they seem to be putting those belts on random guys. Back in the day the IC title feuds were just as entertaining if not more than the World title feuds. Everybody got a fair shake and the storylines were excellent. I think ending the brand extension would solve alot of problems WWE is having. But that's just me.

Jaton
08-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah, they did the brand extension to give more guys TV exposure, but at what cost? Inferior programming? I say, fuck that. I mean, if the main event scene isn't any good, it's rather pointless to watch because there's usually nothing else of interest.

Watson
08-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Yes exactly. If the main event scene isn't entertaining then what does that say about the rest of the card?

den1982
08-19-2005, 03:04 AM
wwe need more tv time to help

Chavo Classic
08-19-2005, 06:24 AM
wwe need more tv time to help

Nope. The WWE has too much tv time! Writing for up to 3 hours of programming a week (for each brand) is a drain on the writers which might be the cause of the inferior product at the moment.

In my opinion, The WWE needs to undertake an economies of scale operation by shortening the roster and having just one major show a week. Smackdown is heading for the pits now anyway, so it wouldn't be such a big loss to anyone if it were gone. We could return to the good old days of there just being one show for which (now two teams of) writers could concentrate all their efforts on.

I know Vinnie loves his two brand system (he must feel great controlling the top two "feds" in the industry) but its bleeding his product. Its time to get back to reality and start making just one, decent show per week.

LK
08-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I think the way the Eddie/Rey feud has been going has been perfect and I think that there is still a few months left in the storyline.

Team Sheep
08-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Look back to 1999 and 2000 for example, in the mid card you had great built up storylines like D'lo Brown/Mark Henry, Jarrett/Chyna, Jericho/Benoit. Sure a few of those wrestlers I just mentioned aren't the most exciting guys to watch, but when an interesting storyline was built around their PPV match, it ended up being pretty entertaining. The European title helped this asswell.

Chavo Classic
08-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Jarrett's sexist storyline in 1999 was awesome. He'd go round assaulting and belittling every woman we came across (even Ben Stiller). And then it ended in rather anti-climatic style with a 'good house keeping match' with Chyna - way to leave behind a legacy Jeff!

Kane Knight
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
What's a storyline?

Chavo Classic
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Y'know. I'm not too sure. It's another job for Kayfabeman!

TerranRich
08-19-2005, 11:36 AM
The European title helped this asswell.
You've hit the nail on the head, Team Sheep. WWE has become an asswell of plot-less matches, filler matches, horribly done feuds, de-pushed wrestlers who deserve a push, and getting rid of crusierweight/tag/women's wrestling.

Asswell indeed. :p

Chavo Classic
08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I remember for a while there was no US championship either. At least they've filled that void

Jaton
08-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Filled what void? OJ is filling the US Championship void? Hardly.

Team Sheep
08-19-2005, 03:21 PM
The void will be filled after Sunday.

Jaton
08-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Doubt it.

Chavo Classic
08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Filled what void? OJ is filling the US Championship void? Hardly.

Tsk - Such a pessimist :nono: . The US title has been a valuable inclusion to the smackdown booking. Both Eddie and Cena held the belt before they went onto the main event and held the heavyweight belt. It's been an important barometer to gauge wrestler's pull and ability and it's worked up to now.

Shadow
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Tsk - Such a pessimist :nono: . The US title has been a valuable inclusion to the smackdown booking. Both Eddie and Cena held the belt before they went onto the main event and held the heavyweight belt. It's been an important barometer to gauge wrestler's pull and ability and it's worked up to now.

I'd say it still works. It's proven that OJ can't do shit unless he's attached to JBL's ass.

Mr. Nerfect
08-19-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't like the way the WWE has turned the WWE Title and the World Heavyweight Championship into "grappling hooks" for the new wrestling generation to use to climb to the top. What happened to good booking, a solid mid-card and the IC and US Titles?

If the WWE wants Batista and Cena to be Champions so badly right now (this applies more to Cena than Batista), let them hold the IC and US Titles respectively. I truly believe guys like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Edge, Christian, Matt Hardy, The Undertaker, Kane, The Big Show, Triple H, etc. should be the guys solely in the main event. I'm not saying Orton, Cena or Batista don't have the power to be main event stars, but what happened to letting guys simmer instead of hot-shotting them into the main event?

I remember reading somewhere that Stephanie McMahon doesn't feel the mid-card is important to a show. True or not, that would explain the current predicament the WWE is in.

Jaton
08-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, the more we watch, the more ratings will continue where they're at. As long as they stay where they're at, they won't give a flying fuck.

vampiro03
08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't like the way the WWE has turned the WWE Title and the World Heavyweight Championship into "grappling hooks" for the new wrestling generation to use to climb to the top. What happened to good booking, a solid mid-card and the IC and US Titles?

If the WWE wants Batista and Cena to be Champions so badly right now (this applies more to Cena than Batista), let them hold the IC and US Titles respectively. I truly believe guys like Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Edge, Christian, Matt Hardy, The Undertaker, Kane, The Big Show, Triple H, etc. should be the guys solely in the main event. I'm not saying Orton, Cena or Batista don't have the power to be main event stars, but what happened to letting guys simmer instead of hot-shotting them into the main event?

I remember reading somewhere that Stephanie McMahon doesn't feel the mid-card is important to a show. True or not, that would explain the current predicament the WWE is in.

you are whining about MID CARDERS GETTING a push?:rofl: If they let these guys "simmer" everyone would throw a hissyfit about the mid carders NOT being pushed! Fans scream give _____ a push! WWE does and fans say, "why does wwe ant them to be champs so badly"? "when is hhh going to loose the title"? bla bla bla. and Christian SUCKS:rant:

Mr. Nerfect
08-19-2005, 08:18 PM
you are whining about MID CARDERS GETTING a push?:rofl: If they let these guys "simmer" everyone would throw a hissyfit about the mid carders NOT being pushed! Fans scream give _____ a push! WWE does and fans say, "why does wwe ant them to be champs so badly"? "when is hhh going to loose the title"? bla bla bla. and Christian SUCKS:rant:

No, I complain when mid-carders aren't used right. Not when they're not pushed. I hope Shelton Benjamin remains in the IC Division for a long time. How are people that whine about Triple H monopolising the main event scene helping your arguement? There are other wrestlers capable of holding the top belt than Batista, Cena or Triple H. I just mentioned a whole list of them.

And you can think Christian sucks, but he's over with everybody, so what you think about his abilities, quite frankly, isn't important.

vampiro03
08-19-2005, 08:26 PM
well my point is, now that hardy is back people will probably boo him. cena is champ just like the "chain gang" wanted and are now realizing he is a big really clumsy ox. Batista has ALL the tools to be a great champion accept timing. his timing has always bothered me. he waits for punches and kicks and sometimes he recoils before the punch even landed. he needs to improve his timing to be great. so, if Captin Charisma got a big title people would automaticly boo him. not because he sucks but because fans want total control of the industry. its like "ok we got him over now lets kill his career. I think we know way too much about behind the curtain.

Mr. Nerfect
08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
well my point is, now that hardy is back people will probably boo him. cena is champ just like the "chain gang" wanted and are now realizing he is a big really clumsy ox. Batista has ALL the tools to be a great champion accept timing. his timing has always bothered me. he waits for punches and kicks and sometimes he recoils before the punch even landed. he needs to improve his timing to be great. so, if Captin Charisma got a big title people would automaticly boo him. not because he sucks but because fans want total control of the industry. its like "ok we got him over now lets kill his career. I think we know way too much about behind the curtain.

I see what you're saying, but I think people would accept Christian as Champion if it was done right. Personally I see no reaosn to take the title off Batista right now, so it'll be a while before that happens, I think. I'm more of the mind John Cena should be losing the WWE Title before 'Tista loses his. Jericho is a great wrestler, in his prime, that has the best experience and credentials to carry the WWE Title. In a way he was the first ever WWE Champion of the title's new era, so I think he deserves another run with the belt.

I can guarantee you this, if the WWE put the World Title on Jericho, people would not turn on him.

Kane Knight
08-20-2005, 11:21 AM
well my point is, now that hardy is back people will probably boo him. cena is champ just like the "chain gang" wanted and are now realizing he is a big really clumsy ox. [....]so, if Captin Charisma got a big title people would automaticly boo him. not because he sucks but because fans want total control of the industry. its like "ok we got him over now lets kill his career. I think we know way too much about behind the curtain.

How does the discovery that Batista and Cena are crap in the main event really do much to support your conclusion?

Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Because 1) Christian's got the chops.

2) The people who know too much about the business are the ones who by and large have ALWAYS hated Batista.

3) Cena largely got over before he was forced to start in on a watered down moveset, or even "I pooped my pants!" lines. HE got over with people when he was risque and "edgy," and now people are looking at a watered-down version, and don't like it as much (And he's still one of the most over guys in the company).

4) If anything, Cena proves that the fans are more prone to follow a guy despite the WWE fucking with his success, rather than looking to end his career. So what's up with this retarded "they would automatically boo him" rant?