PDA

View Full Version : Three commentators not a bad idea?

Kane Knight
08-23-2005, 10:35 PM
The idea of having one face announcer, one heel, and one who swings both ways ( :naughty: ) actually does strike me as a good way to go right now, though the choice of folks for commentary is pretty lackluster.

I mean, it's not like it's a new idea, but it can certainly can press certain points better, depending on who the middleman sides with. We already know we're generally going to have a "good guy" and a "bad guy," so the step in between...Useful, or no?

for the sake of this thread, please ignore Who is currently running commentary on Raw.

PureHatred
08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Grrrrrr..must...not..make....Coach ...comments......

PureHatred
08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Actually, one of the things I liked about WCW was the way they used mike Tenay as 'the guy who knew what the moves were called.' Heenan was doing his Heenan thing, Schiavone was the face/shill, and Tenay served as the actual PBP while adding depth and background to the commentary.

Destor
08-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Is it only me or does it seem like instead of calling the match alls they do is argue now?

Shadow
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Is it only me or does it seem like instead of calling the match alls they do is argue now?

It's not just you.

PureHatred
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
MUST...NOT...MAKE ....COACH....COMMENTS!!!! :mad:

Destor
08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
It's not just you.
Figured I wouldnt be able to post with out some one given me shit.

HeartBreakMan2k
08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it's a great idea and truth be told; Tazz would be the perfect middle man. He's a guy with experience, and his character always has been a bad ass. Put him between say Cole (face) and Paul E. (heel) or even Styles (face) and Cyrus (heel) and you'd have an awesome team.

<tr>
<td width="445" height="73" align="center" valign="bottom" background="images/clockbg.gif"><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="203" height="40" align="bottom">
<param name="movie" value="spike.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high"><param name="BGCOLOR" value="#222222">
<embed src="spike.swf" width="203" height="40" align="bottom" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#222222"></embed>
</object></td>
</tr>
</table></td>
</tr>

Pepsi Man
08-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Not a bad idea. I do wish announcers in general would focus more on the in-ring action.

Kane Knight
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM

That's because they KNOW they can't call the matches, so it's better to argue.

Shadow
08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Figured I wouldnt be able to post with out some one given me shit.

I wasn't giving you shit idiot. I was agreeing with you.

Destor
08-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Your right (about you agreeing and me being an idiot) apparently I cant read or spell.

Pepsi Man
08-23-2005, 11:55 PM
That's because they KNOW they can't call the matches, so it's better to argue.
JR could call a match...

if the year were 1999 or earlier.:$ (Sue me. I don't think old school JR was bad. Then again, perhaps due to when I started watching or WHATEVER, I don't think Vince or Eric were bad at the announce table either.)

Kane Knight
08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
JR could call a match...

if the year were 1999 or earlier.:$ (Sue me. I don't think old school JR was bad. Then again, perhaps due to when I started watching or WHATEVER, I don't think Vince or Eric were bad at the announce table either.)

Oh, I know he USED to do it well. There is a time in ancient memory when he actually got the moves right, and could successfully sell a PBP. It's just a long gone era.

Destor
08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
I've always hated Vinces commentary. JR was good back in the day though.
Im talkin NWA

Pepsi Man
08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh, I know he USED to do it well. There is a time in ancient memory when he actually got the moves right, and could successfully sell a PBP. It's just a long gone era.
You mean an overhead belly-to-belly suplex wasn't always a "modified slam"?

Shadow
08-24-2005, 12:21 AM

It's always been a modifed slam. Every move is just a modified slam. JR is the best PBP announcer bar none in the history of the sport!

I'm also high if you can't tell.

Pepsi Man
08-24-2005, 12:23 AM
It's always been a modifed slam. Every move is just a modified slam. JR is the best PBP announcer bar none in the history of the sport!

I'm also high if you can't tell.
Well you're a Jeff Hardy mark, so that goes without saying.

High Impact v.W.o
08-24-2005, 02:28 AM
I'd actually like them to bring in a fourth commentator (hear me out).

If they brought in a fourth, for the sake of it lets say Joey Styles, He comes in and calls the PBP and only taks to the other announcers to remind them what a great match it is, or to stop their bickering until they get home. So forth and So forth.

Maybe not the greatest idea but it would probably work.

Pepsi Man
08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
I'd actually like them to bring in a fourth commentator (hear me out).

If they brought in a fourth, for the sake of it lets say Joey Styles, He comes in and calls the PBP and only taks to the other announcers to remind them what a great match it is, or to stop their bickering until they get home. So forth and So forth.

Maybe not the greatest idea but it would probably work.
No. Just no. I love Joey Styles, but a four man commentary team would be fucking ridiculous.

Nervous Ferret
08-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Your right (about you agreeing and me being an idiot) apparently I cant read or spell.No you can't Com-Pre-Hend

Nervous Ferret
08-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Comprende chico?

Pepsi Man
08-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Comprende chico?
Take a look at the bad guy.

Mr. Nerfect
08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Personally, I think three-men is a good idea. I also like the idea of wrestlers occasionally joining the booth.

Jonathan Coachman makes a GREAT heel commentator, IMO. He cracked me up when he came out and "admitted" he had a foot fetish. All he needs is a commentator that knows his stuff (Josh Mathews, Tazz) and a face foil (Todd Grisham?) and he's right to add some good heelish colour.

Something I have always wanted to see, and forgive me if this is a completely stupid idea, is a commentator that comes in on special occasions, assigned the the "Board of Directors" because the current announce team can't do an unbiased job. I have so many times wanted to here a commentator to tell JR and King to shut the Hell up when they were shitting all over Muhammad Hassan. Just have a commentator come out for his matches and point out his ability and highlight how he was, you know, actually right.

It would have been nice to have had unbiased commentary duing the Eddie/Rey Ladder Match at Summerslam. As much as I like Tazz & Cole, a man who agrees to put his son on the line in a wrestling match is not father of the year, and it would have been nice to hear a voice remind us of that. Plus there were several times during the match where I wish the focus was more on the actual match than what they were competing for. I was dying for a "voice of reason" to suddenly appear and start screaming that Dominick Guttierrez and Vicki Guerrero have no business being in a ladder match. It would have been so damn nice to have heard someone snap at Tazz and Cole when they were cheering blindly for Mysterio that he "couldn't give a damn if a portrait of Star Jones was at the top of the ladder, I don't watch wrestling to hear about Dominick Guttierrez's life, I watch wrestling to see a competitive match with the better man coming out on top, and Eddie Guerrero should have won this match." or something like that.

I also wouldn't mind "guest commentators". Slap Kevin Nash on Heat or JBL on Velocity one night. With the Chris Jericho getting fired angle, part of me wished he would show up on SmackDown! and commentate that night, completely bashing RAW, etc. Imagine how awesome it would be to have SmackDown! open with the voice of Chris Jericho going "Welcome to the best show in sports entertainment, Chris Jericho and Mitchell Cole at ringside..." this week. Tazz could be a backstahe interviewer for the night, and maybe host some kind of talk show, and do Velocity with Josh Mathews. Just for a week. It would really be a "wow, that was different" moment. Fixed teams are good and all, but a little unpredictability in the commentating booth would really spice things up.

Destor
08-24-2005, 09:46 AM
No you can't Com-Pre-Hend
Thank you for chiming in with such a pertanent stament, if it wasnt for your dedication to bringing witty quipts this website would surely implode. :roll:

Just John
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM

lol and an F-5 was a Lesnar Driver

Vastardikai
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Well, JR now has the Modified Slams, just like Vince used to have the Whattamanuevers.

mrslackalack
08-24-2005, 04:09 PM
On the Rey Mysterio 619 DVD in the Match against Dean Malenko at GAB 96they had a 4 man team of Tony Schavione, Mike Tenay, Dusty Rhodes, and Bobby Hennan and I liked it pretty well.

Kane Knight
08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
That's probably a bit much.

Shadow
08-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Not with the talent they had in the booth.

But then again...that was when Schavione and Tenay could actually call a good match.