PDA

View Full Version : Is Tivo worth it?

Shaggy
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Lately I have been thinking about getting a Tivo because with my new job I am always missing my usuall shows...including wrestling.

I was just wondering if there was anyone here who has Tivo and is it worth it?...

I read that you have to plug it into your phone line. Can you still use the phone while Tivo is going?...or is it just like the net where as long as you have tivo going you cant use the phone..

Also..Can you still keep your VCR hooked up to record things on VHS? Im always recording the wrestling ppvs when I get them so I just want to know if I can continue this or if because of Tivo I can no longer record stuff on VHS.

Thanks for those who answer my questions..This is something ive been meaning to do for a while and hopefully depending on what yall say will finally give me the courage to make a decision..

DS
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't think it's worth it. Not only do you have to buy the box but you have to pay a monthly subscription (or a lifetime plan of $300) of $12.95.

Your best bet would be to find someplace that makes Home Theater PCs (HTPC) and buy one of those. Not only is it cheaper but you can get a larger hard drive then what you'll get with TiVo and for cheaper. They have lots of DVR programs out there like Sage TV that is customizable and does everything TiVo does but without a subscription. You do have to pay $80 to buy it, or download it if that's your thing, but you would still be saving money.

Fubar28
09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Also if you have an old pc & are computer literate you can build a cheap tivo. There are articles online about this. I haven't done it but probably will when ever I put this computer out of it's misery. I don't have a tivo but everyone I know that does loves it.

DS
09-08-2005, 01:46 PM
You just need a TV tuner card. Hauppage makes the best ones right now, in my opinion, because they run off their own encoder so it doesn't use as much of your processor speeds.

AareDub
09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
The actual Tivo thing is not worth it. However most cable and satelite providers offer a DVR service for very cheap now. I pay 10 bucks a month extra for an HD-DVR. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Depending on the box your provider offeres you can do certain things as far as recording your dvr shows. My box allows me to even hook up another hard drive to transfer to. Not sure about a vcr, but I would assume it works.

YOUR Hero
09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
DVR is the way to go.