PDA

View Full Version : So. Steroids in wrestling.

Kane Knight
09-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm making a new thread because the other thread was primarily about Masters. Or intended to be, or whatever. This is about steroid use company wide.

Part of wrestling is most definitely the "look" of a wrestler. With a demanding tour schedule and the like, it's got to be hard to keep in "top" shape. We're talking a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for a lot of the "big" talent. While someone like the Big Show only needs to keep eating to maintain his figure, people like Masters, Hunter (Ignore the fact that hsi schedule's lighter, I'm just using him as an example), Lesnar, etc. May have difficulty with the type of bodybuilding needed within their tour schedule.

A lot of people do complain about specific wrestlers being on steroids, but so many clearly are. Let's not ignore this. Steroid use seems to be only mentioned in a few cases, but is widely used. You only need to see so many people blow up in size to understand this.

Now, why is this a problem? Steroids aren't as dangerous as regularly pegged, and if wrestlers want to take the risks for a livelihood, is it worse than the other shit we see idiots do on TV? While steroids are considered unsportsmanlike, the WWE is hardly a sport. It's not like they are really winning and losing out there, since it's scripted and designed to be entertainment, not any sort of professional respect for fairness. Hell, if it was a sport, we wouldn't be sticking Kurt Angle and sharmell or Lesnar and Shannon Moore together in a rassling ring. And no, that wasn't a "Shannon's a girl" joke, just to keep people up to date.

I do think it's stupid for some people to juice. No way Rey Rey needs to look as big as he does. If he was pressured to bulk up, I'm against that. We should be forcing some of the out of shape fuckers to do it instead.

I'm curious as to what people think about steroid use in wrestling, whether it's fine or not, but I also just wanna tell people to lay the fuck off the talent if you're not going to lay into a large body of wrestlers for it. Show a little consistency.

Loose Cannon
09-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I really never had a problem with it. Guys know today that being BIG is almost a MUST in order to be on top. It's thier choice and like you said it's not a real sport with real winners or losers, so it's no big deal.

But I hope they understand the health risks to thier bodies later on in life when they are retired. Seeing a lot of the old guys today and the shape they are in really lets you see the long term effect steroids has on your body. Other then death of course.

Scootie Stankers
09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Nature of the Best

and McMahon's "Big Man Fetish"
*was Vince cheating on Linda with girls or jacked up men like the Warlord?

redoneja
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Its kinda ironic though that some of the best wrestlers aren't muscle bound giants. I'm talking about guys like Steve Corino, Chris Daniels, CM Punk, Shawn Micheals, etc. Ric Flair is a good example of this. he wasn't some big defined monster, but he is considered to be the best wrestler ever by many. I think the pressure for steriod use is only prevalent in WWE because of McMahon's hoss fetish. But then again, the WWE style is more constricted while many indy feds(RoH) and the japanese companys focus more on wrestling ability instead of look.

Kane Knight
09-15-2005, 09:32 PM
I really never had a problem with it. Guys know today that being BIG is almost a MUST in order to be on top. It's thier choice and like you said it's not a real sport with real winners or losers, so it's no big deal.

But I hope they understand the health risks to thier bodies later on in life when they are retired. Seeing a lot of the old guys today and the shape they are in really lets you see the long term effect steroids has on your body. Other then death of course.

A lot of (Not all or even most of) those deaths are related to other addictions, too. I mean, people die because they're hooked on pain killers, and the stress they put on their bodies can do the same.

I also think some of the problems come from doing other drugs on top of steroids. Now, I'm not defending them as safe. Just saying they've got a rep for killing more people than they do. Some of these people are on more shit than a Greatful Dead concert.

Steroids are safer and all, but they still do have risks, especially with abuse. I don't want wrestlers to die, but it's their choice. However, I do find it sad that the pressure's there, but hoss main events are a bit of a different argument.

Kane Knight
09-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Its kinda ironic though that some of the best wrestlers aren't muscle bound giants. I'm talking about guys like Steve Corino, Chris Daniels, CM Punk, Shawn Micheals, etc. Ric Flair is a good example of this. he wasn't some big defined monster, but he is considered to be the best wrestler ever by many. I think the pressure for steriod use is only prevalent in WWE because of McMahon's hoss fetish. But then again, the WWE style is more constricted while many indy feds(RoH) and the japanese companys focus more on wrestling ability instead of look.

You don't need to be a hoss to be on steroids. Look at Edge when he returned. Mysterio's still not a giant.

However, yes. These guys don't have the roid build for the most part. They're great wrestlers, but size=main event.

.44 Magdalene
09-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I don't really care all that much.

I mean, I don't plan on using them myself when I get into wrestling, but I don't condemn those that do use them. Let me put it this way: there's wrestlers doing much worse.

Kane Knight
09-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Like shitting in people's bags? :shifty:

Loose Cannon
09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
A lot of (Not all or even most of) those deaths are related to other addictions, too. I mean, people die because they're hooked on pain killers, and the stress they put on their bodies can do the same.

I also think some of the problems come from doing other drugs on top of steroids. Now, I'm not defending them as safe. Just saying they've got a rep for killing more people than they do. Some of these people are on more shit than a Greatful Dead concert.

Steroids are safer and all, but they still do have risks, especially with abuse. I don't want wrestlers to die, but it's their choice. However, I do find it sad that the pressure's there, but hoss main events are a bit of a different argument.

yea, I agree it's mostly a combo of steroids and other drugs like Coke. Pillman, Bulldog, Hennig, Hawk, Rude all had problems with other drugs and all took steroids. Of course, it really depends on the person and thier body on whether or not your body can take years and years of abuse and not shut down.

Anyway, guys like HBK and Flair like mentioned definately used Roids and most Indy wrestlers do as well. Wrestling is a job where you have to "look" bigger/stronger then the ordinary fan or else it wouldn't be as believable to fans.

Funky Fly
09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
If Rey Mysterio were scaled up to 6'6 instead of 5'6, he would be 300 pounds.

Gerard
09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Mysterio's still not a giant.

:lol:

Untill some sorta permanent stilt implant becomes available.

The Answer
09-15-2005, 10:30 PM
It seems to be rampant, Bret Hart admited he used them as well.

Dellaspro
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Chris Masters doesn't juice.

Mr. JL
09-15-2005, 11:51 PM
I think professional wrestlers should all look in the mirror and think wisely. If they can't get the job done without using steroids, then I think they should take that as a sign that being a professional wrestler is not for them. The benefits do not outweigh the negatives, in my opinion. If you cannot get it done cleanly or safely, you need to chose another career. They need to think about their health before they start pumping steroids in their bodies in order to get the nodding approval from a heartless corporation in the WWE or any other wrestling promotion past, present or any others that pop up in the future.

However...

I believe if professional wrestlers do want to use steroids that no one should stop them, especially since in professional wrestling there is a predetermined outcome. I think using steroids (an any other illicit drug) is ultimately the individuals choice to make, and that nobody should have the right to stop them or charge them with a crime. I just think it is not a wise choice to make considering there are plenty of other careers in the world that these people can do well in and will not end up cutting their lives in half.

So in short, I do not believe in using steroids but I think it is fine if the wrestlers want to make their own choice because who am I to tell them people what they can and cannot do to their own bodies.

FourFifty
09-16-2005, 02:48 AM
A wrestler on roids is just as good as a model with an eating disorder. It's an industry based on image, and these wrestlers are just trying to get to the top of their game. I'm not saying "LEGALIZE IT!" but if they do it... hell, there are worse things than roids... Like pooping in someone's sandwhich.
It is a crime, and since these people are adults (or young adults) like you and I ('cept for Lactoseking, or whoever the hell he is) they should know the risks. Not just the physical risks, but also the legal risks.

It's a show, not a sport.

Anybody Thrilla
09-16-2005, 09:58 AM
If Steve-O is allowed to have alligators bite his nuts or whatever, I think people should be able to do whatever they want for their profession. It's not like they don't know about the potential dangers.

Kane Knight
09-16-2005, 10:35 AM
A wrestler on roids is just as good as a model with an eating disorder. It's an industry based on image, and these wrestlers are just trying to get to the top of their game. I'm not saying "LEGALIZE IT!" but if they do it... hell, there are worse things than roids... Like pooping in someone's sandwhich.
It is a crime, and since these people are adults (or young adults) like you and I ('cept for Lactoseking, or whoever the hell he is) they should know the risks. Not just the physical risks, but also the legal risks.

It's a show, not a sport.

And legality is the flipside.

Sadistic
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
indy feds(RoH) and the japanese companys focus more on wrestling ability instead of look.
Yeah and that's the way it should be.

Kane Knight
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah and that's the way it should be.

So you're saying they don't (And shouldn't) use steroids?

Destor
09-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Its just the way it is. We are in a fake sport. We spend a lot of time defending our selves so we intentionally get pumped so people wont second guess us. Its all about the ego of the individual. Their are steroids on the Indy scene just like the are in the pro's, drugs in general are very common amongst pro-wrestlers (there really not a big deal, with the pain you need things to compensate for it) and after coke steroids is probably the most common.

Kane Knight
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Its just the way it is. We are in a fake sport. We spend a lot of time defending our selves so we intentionally get pumped so people wont second guess us. Its all about the ego of the individual. Their are steroids on the Indy scene just like the are in the pro's, drugs in general are very common amongst pro-wrestlers (there really not a big deal, with the pain you need things to compensate for it) and after coke steroids is probably the most common.

So basically, you're saying nothing new.

Destor
09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Just agreeing.

Kane Knight
09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Just checking.

Jaton
09-16-2005, 03:19 PM

Ultimate Warrior. :nono: