PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers caught on Camera calling spots

The MAC
09-18-2005, 01:03 PM
The one that comes to mind instantly is when Sid had shawn Michaels in a rear chin lock ( the move where he puts his knee into the guys back and pull his head back )

and you can hear and see sid go : Okay! okay! - agreeing to something Michaels said. JR quickly quips " Sid talking to himself over there"

can you point out any others ( and in any of Brets matches as I have a few of them)

Jalapeņo
09-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy

Matt: BLOCK NOW!
Jeff: WHAT?! *kicked*

aaronkyle86
09-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I remember hearing HHH quite a bit a few years ago... I remember in one of his matches (I think it was against Stone Cold) he was about to Irish Whip Austin and you could hear him say "High knee" and sure enough, he did his high knee.

loopydate
09-18-2005, 01:28 PM
There's always the classic "Dammit, Jeff!" moment. Not so much a called spot as a blown spot.

Plus, there's the incident where Ken Shamrock had to tell his "sister" to slap him.

Shaggy
09-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Many people remember the Ryan Shamrock/Ken Shamrock incident....Ken got out of the ring and was yelling at Ryan and all of a sudden you here Ken say in a low voice right on camera "slap me"....then she slaps him...

One I remember was at the Rumble I believe this year or maybe last year when there were like 5 people jumping Big Show in the corner. You could here in the big show say "Ok first I hit you and you go over then I throw you off to the side"...something like that...next thing you see he hits RVD and sends him over and hes throwing people around the ring...

Xero
09-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I remember in a match between Triple H and Big Show that Triple H called out 'Get up, Paul!' and Big Show did get up.

It's rarely audible, but I can usually tell when wrestlers are communicating with each other. A lot of the time they communicate in the middle of an Irish Whip before one whips the other. Cameras also get them talking while in rest holds a lot. It's a lot easier to see when both of them don't have long hair.

Stickman
09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
I remember one where HHH said side slam, and sure enough he got side slamed. I think it was against Big Show but I'm not sure.

Champion of Europa
09-18-2005, 02:56 PM
One night HHH was fighting Kurt Angle (the night where Edge and Christian talked about cake), HHH was about to superplex Kurt, and he said, "Get up, Kurt" and Kurt stood up and got superplexed.

vampiro03
09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
how do guys that go to japan understand spots? do they use slaps? sometimes you see a guy in a headlock tap the guys arm twice thus calling a spot in body language. I've always wondered about japan and the language barrier though

Aussie Skier
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
During the, IMO, greatest match of all time possibly; Benoit VS Angle, you clearly hear Benoit and angle talking. The converstation is something like this:

Angle: "German"
Benoit: "Huh?"
Angle: "German"
Benoit: "Ah!"

:D

Savio
09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
The Camera caught Austin talking to kane for a good 2 minutes while they were tagged out in a tag match.

.44 Magdalene
09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
BOOOOOOT!

Yeah, I know I've seen Test call out spots on more than one occassion.

Hitman84
09-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Which match was the "Dammit, Jeff!" incident?

When I was an 8yo mark, I can remember I used to think that the wrestlers were hurling verbal abuse at each other during the matches!!

Of course everyone knows of the infamous "that's it! stay down!" encounter between Billy Gunn and D'Lo Brown at Rebellion I believe a good six, maybe more years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Disturbed316
09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
The Jeff one was at Survivor Series 02 during the table match against 3 minute warning.

ilt_undertaker
09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I remember a few years ago when Jacqueline was wrestling someone and she yelled "Slam me!", like real loud.

Impact!
09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
It's annoying, I used to know what that Dammit Jeff one was, now I can't remember, some one refresh my memory.

Disturbed316
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
It's annoying, I used to know what that Dammit Jeff one was, now I can't remember, some one refresh my memory.

The Jeff one was at Survivor Series 02 during the table match against 3 minute warning.

Impact!
09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, but what exactly was the spot that he missed, or whatever?

Djscorpion
09-18-2005, 11:55 PM
So basically wrestling matches are scripted?

Pepsi Man
09-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I remember hearing HHH quite a bit a few years ago... I remember in one of his matches (I think it was against Stone Cold) he was about to Irish Whip Austin and you could hear him say "High knee" and sure enough, he did his high knee.
Yeah, Triple H has been terrible. Off the top of my head, I can think of a 1998 match vs. Owen hart and a 1999 match vs. the Big Show. Well, actually, it may have been the early 2000 match he had with Show.

I remember not watching for it at all and suddenly hearing, "Owen! Get me into the corner!" or something like that. Then in his match with the Big Show, he was all, "Bend over!"

Let's not forget the finish to Raw a couple of years ago where we heard a panicing Triple H yelling repeatedly "Come on Booker!"

TerranRich
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM

Most of them are, there are only a few that are improvised with only the ending planned. But for the most part, yes they all are. (If that was a serious question.)

Dave Youell
09-19-2005, 06:29 AM
During a rumble one year, you can hear Trips say. If I throw you can you hold on

SuperSlim
09-19-2005, 09:27 AM
http://rapidshare.de/files/5280949/WWE_-_Rico_loudly_calls_a_spot_Survivor_Series_2002.WMV.html

I think this is the SS spot you all are referring to. Involving Jeff Hardy. :D

Xero
09-19-2005, 09:41 AM
LOL!

Y2Ant
09-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I remember in the Matt vs. Jeff (disastrous) match at Armageddon one year, Matt is going "Russian leg sweep, RUSSIAN LEG SWEEP :mad:" like real loud.

And I remember on a RAW, when Jericho was champ, him and Austin are on the top rope in a cage and he goes "push me off" and you see it on camera :(

With the Shamrock one, I was still a mark at the time but I heard him say it, and I thought it was just him saying it as if he was meaning "yeah go on, I dare you to slap me then" :$

Nark Order
09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
LMAO @ "God damnit Jeff!"

mrslackalack
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Two off the top of my head

1. At Wrestlemania 20, after Trish turned on Jericho you Christian is talking smack and you could see Jericho laughing
2. I remember at a superstars taping in Cincy in Oct 96- Marc Mero and Goldust had a match and Mero won very quickly and then Goldust came right back out and challenged Mero to a Rematch and Mero won by Dq when I think HHH interfered and when I saw the taping later the two matches were mixed in together

The Mackem
09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Not a wrestler but I remember one of the referees telling the wrestlers to 'slow it down fellas' during the hardcore battle royale thing they had (which had a time limit) a few years back when Crash was champ.

aaronkyle86
09-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Dunno if anybody else heard it, but I heard Flair ask the ref "How much time is left?" tonight during his match with Carlito.
... and in the same match, I heard Carlito tell Flair he wasn't cool...:shifty:

Mr. JL
09-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah, but what exactly was the spot that he missed, or whatever?
That was an error on everyone involved with the match though. You see Jeff Hardy jumping off a balcony and then they cut to the ring where Rico is on the top rope yelling "God Dammit jeff" and then he faked that he was losing his balance. I defy YOU to jump off a balcony and then push Rico off the top rope 10 seconds later.

Amaroqwolf
09-20-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm to tired to remember which thing this was at...but I have it on my RAW Tenth Annaveryry DVD...GOd Awful Spelling here sorry) But you can Obviously at one point after Bubba Ray and Jericho are knocked off a ladder a few moments later there just sitting there leaning on the edge of the ring watching the Match, then Bubba notcies the Camera on them reaches over hits Jericho's arm and they both collapse to the ground..quite funny heh.

Chavo Classic
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/5280949/WWE_-_Rico_loudly_calls_a_spot_Survivor_Series_2002.WMV.html

Subtle Rico, real subtle

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-20-2005, 07:14 PM
RVD vs William Regal at WMX8.

RVD pauses in the corner and says 'Dropkick' before doing a dropkick.

Pepsi Man
09-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Dunno if anybody else heard it, but I heard Flair ask the ref "How much time is left?"
Old tactic. I didn't pay close enough attention to the match when I watched it the first time, but normally a heel (or in Flair's case, the dirtiest player in the game, heel or face) will ask that to get the referee to walk over and check with the timekeeper or something, so he can sneak in some illegal offense.

Destor
09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
how do guys that go to japan understand spots? do they use slaps? sometimes you see a guy in a headlock tap the guys arm twice thus calling a spot in body language. I've always wondered about japan and the language barrier though
In Japan they do what we wrestlers call the shoot style, basically there is no calling, they go for something you either give it to them, they take it, or you reverse.

Destor
09-21-2005, 12:25 AM
No, common misconception. Big spots are planned, the finish is planned, but everything else is on the fly.

TerranRich
09-21-2005, 12:28 AM
No, common misconception. Big spots are planned, the finish is planned, but everything else is on the fly.
:yes: :y:

That's what I meant in my post way above.

Aussie Skier
09-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Not a wrestler but I remember one of the referees telling the wrestlers to 'slow it down fellas' during the hardcore battle royale thing they had (which had a time limit) a few years back when Crash was champ.

I remember a match during the alliance angle I believe, and I think chalres Robinson was refereeing Jericho VS angle or something.

Jericho had the walls of jericho on Angle and Angle crawled close to the rope, then you hear the ref say "pull him away from the ropes now!"

another one, which isn't calling spots or anything, but I found it funny, was in a jeff hardy match in 2000 I think, and Jeff is hitting someone outside the ring against the barrier, and you hear a fan say "Come on Jeff, hit him!!!"

Chavo Classic
09-21-2005, 06:02 AM
another one, which isn't calling spots or anything, but I found it funny, was in a jeff hardy match in 2000 I think, and Jeff is hitting someone outside the ring against the barrier, and you hear a fan say "Come on Jeff, hit him!!!"

I'[ve always wondered about that. When wrestlers are throwing fake punches by the barrier or in the crowd, isn't the audience (who will be close enough to see and hear if the fists are actually connecting) slightly disappointed they aren't making impact?

Do wrestlers work stiff in these situations?

Sadistic
09-21-2005, 08:24 AM
It was clear at Unforgiven on Sunday when Angle was talking to Cena up against the turnbuckle. It was so obvious that JR said something like 'that's Angle talkin trash to Cena'.

Chavo Classic
09-21-2005, 08:29 AM
It was clear at Unforgiven on Sunday when Angle was talking to Cena up against the turnbuckle. It was so obvious that JR said something like 'that's Angle talkin trash to Cena'.

'Take the elbow' is some nasty trash talking jive there Angle

Volare
09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
question i have is do people want spots being called in the ring or known before the match. I know that both have advantages and disadvantages, for instance, Remembering spots backstage have resulted in forgetting them and messing up the match, but on the otherhand calling spots in the ring might include some miscommunication and messing up a match.

Destor
09-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I'[ve always wondered about that. When wrestlers are throwing fake punches by the barrier or in the crowd, isn't the audience (who will be close enough to see and hear if the fists are actually connecting) slightly disappointed they aren't making impact?

Do wrestlers work stiff in these situations?
Yes. When we are close enough to the fans that they can see everything we generally throw potatoes.

Destor
09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
question i have is do people want spots being called in the ring or known before the match. I know that both have advantages and disadvantages, for instance, Remembering spots backstage have resulted in forgetting them and messing up the match, but on the otherhand calling spots in the ring might include some miscommunication and messing up a match.
BIG spots are planned before hand. Things that you would need time to work out in your head beforehand a discussed before the match. Or maybe just something you know that you want to do before hand and you definitely want in the match, it could be something simple like a power bomb on the floor. Little spots are called in the ring. When a guy goes to whip another guy he would say something like "Shoulder block, hip toss, body slam, fire up." So you would then hit the ropes, give him a shoulder tackle, run the ropes take a hip toss, get up get body slammed, and then fire up on on him. That would be calling a spot. Every match has both of these.

Pepsi Man
09-22-2005, 01:05 AM
I like it better when they do it on the fly. It just looks and almost feels a lot better, even though technically I feel nothing through watching.

Djscorpion
09-23-2005, 01:02 PM
if the finish is planned then basically they know who is suppose to win before the match even starts right?

Destor
09-23-2005, 01:15 PM
duh

Chavo Classic
09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
if the finish is planned then basically they know who is suppose to win before the match even starts right?

I hope you are aged 7 or something, I really do.

Marcyo
09-23-2005, 10:11 PM

:rofl: I watched this match more than once, but I've never actually heard that.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Yes. When we are close enough to the fans that they can see everything we generally throw potatoes.

:wtf:

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4637/0578nc3if.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
and before you say, yes I know what potatos mean, it was for comedy effect :D

Destor
09-24-2005, 03:53 PM
It was funny, but after gayrape you have a lot to live up to, cause that was funny.

CharismaInjection
09-24-2005, 04:08 PM
At Summerslam 05, Eddie on top of the ladder to his wife:

EDDIE: (Loudly) Whoa! Whoa! What are you doing???

EDDIE: (Quietly) Push it....Push it!

EDDIE: (Loudly) Ahhhh!!!!!!

Nowhere Man
09-24-2005, 04:20 PM
My favorite called spot was still the Stairway to Hell between Sandman and Sabu in ECW, if only because it was the most anticlimactic finish of a match I've ever seen.

Sandy and Sabu had been tearing each other up all night with sick spot after sick spot. Finally, Sandman gets his cane, and winds up to clock Sabu with it. Just then, he practically yells "Put your hands up! Ready?" and Sabu complies. Sandman swings and gets the pin.

SuperSlim
09-24-2005, 04:24 PM
:lol: Now I have to watch that match

hb2k
09-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Mania 21, HBK/Angle, when Angle reverses an irish whip, he says "Belly to belly". Michaels takes the upside-down bump in the corner, and turns into...a belly to belly

TerranRich
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Just this Friday, when they replayed the 22.5 sec match (NOT the SUmmerslam one, the last one before this past Friday's matchup), I finally heard the referee mouth "Okay, tap out now!" or something like that, and then OJ tapped out. I've been trying to see that for ages, because I figured the ref had to tell OJ when the tap out due to the time "limit" of 22.5 seconds.

TerranRich
09-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Also, hb2k, what the hell is an "Interlectual"? :wtf:

hb2k
09-26-2005, 01:17 PM
It's a joke, it's meant to be intellectual, but the fact I spell it wrong means I'm a retard

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Just this Friday, when they replayed the 22.5 sec match (NOT the SUmmerslam one, the last one before this past Friday's matchup), I finally heard the referee mouth "Okay, tap out now!" or something like that, and then OJ tapped out. I've been trying to see that for ages, because I figured the ref had to tell OJ when the tap out due to the time "limit" of 22.5 seconds.

How humiliating. Tap out now jobber!

Destor
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
I know it was a joke and all Terran, but ref usaully does tell you when to finish the match. Do you think a wrestler is keeping up with how long he has been out there? Before you go out you know you are supposed work, lets say 30 min., when you hit 30 the ref tells one of ya to finish up and you do. That simple.

TerranRich
09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I know it was a joke and all Terran, but ref usaully does tell you when to finish the match. Do you think a wrestler is keeping up with how long he has been out there? Before you go out you know you are supposed work, lets say 30 min., when you hit 30 the ref tells one of ya to finish up and you do. That simple.

Uhhh...yeah, I know that. The entire point of this thread is to point out instances of guys calling out spots. That's what I did.

I didn't say anything about not knowing that it happened, nor did I express surprise or shock that it did in fact occur. :wtf: I simply said that I had been wanting to catch the ref DO it.