PDA

View Full Version : Could Rey make the leap to Main Event/World Champion?

Disturbed316
09-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Right, the recent segment on Smackdown between Teddy Long, Network Guy and Batista when they were announcing the new number 1 contender, the description of Rey seemed to get the crowd going quite good. So do you think Rey could make the leap from cruiserweight to main event, like Eddie and Jericho have done?

I would have to say yes and no. Ultimately, Rey doesn't have the height of a world champ. Yeah, it's a real shitty reason, but I feel it will always hold him back. When you compare him to guys like Batista, JBL etc he isn't near them (although Rey did "beat" JBL recently).

Saying that though, Rey does have the ability to do it. Amazing ring work, ok-ish on the mic, pretty much what any world champion needs.

I personally would one day like Rey to at least have the chance to compete for it, whether he would win it is another story.

Your thoughts?

JH
09-18-2005, 10:55 PM
i actually said in another thread that i seriously think rey is gonna get a world title push if eddie wins it from batista and i honestly think rey will get it

What Would Kevin Do?
09-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I posted this in another thread...

Also, I just thought of something. I don't know if it would work in the ring, but think about it... Have Mysterio win the Royal Rumble and fight Batista at Mania. It's a great David Vs Goliath battle. The kicker would be that Mysterio, for once realizing the odds are too great, turns to Eddy Guerrero for help. THink about it, two cards before Mania, Eddy comes out and assaults Rey, pissed that Rey is getting a WM title shot.. Batista makes the save, and Eddie and Rey swerve and destroy Batista...

Kane Knight
09-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I like that, WWKD.

redoneja
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah I posted a similar thread around Wrestlemania. I posted the link for anyone who is interested in their views at that time, or for anyone to see how consistent their views are.

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28182

The Naitch
09-19-2005, 12:05 AM
He better win the title sometime in his career

Favre4Ever
09-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Thats funny, because I was thinking about this earlier today.

It seems like they know Rey is popular, but they won't let him get past a certain point. In all honesty, to the average person, Rey Mysterio does not look like a threat to the title. Pure and simple. It would be cool it he got a little up set on somebody and ran with the belt for a month, but I can't see him as a serious contender.

V
09-19-2005, 01:09 AM
i am about rey mysterio's height :(

What Would Kevin Do?
09-19-2005, 01:09 AM

It seems like they know Rey is popular, but they won't let him get past a certain point. In all honesty, to the average person, Rey Mysterio does not look like a threat to the title. Pure and simple. It would be cool it he got a little up set on somebody and ran with the belt for a month, but I can't see him as a serious contender.

The thing is, he's beaten Angle, and that's pretty well documented... WWE is pushing Angle as basically one of the greatest wrestlers they have, so if Rey can beat him, in theory, Rey can beat anyone.

IN reality, the only person on Smackdown that I think the fans will believe Rey can't beat is the Undertaker... No one else is really built up as unstoppable.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Seriously though, have Rey become champ with Eddie's help. Have Rey be the deserving champion who the fans turn on because he "sold his soul" to win the title. Have him get sort of depressed/quiet, and have Eddie G become his mouth piece.

Hell, have Eddie take a sort of Sean O'Haire gimmick on along with the one he currently has... Have him become sort of a Devil's advocate, helping people, manipulating them, bating them, etc. It could be interesting to see Eddie try to get into the head's of Rey's opponents, trying to get them out of the picture before they can fight Rey. The whole tim,e also have Eddie live through Rey's title reign, almost like it's his own.

Favre4Ever
09-19-2005, 01:21 AM
But Angle really puts on great matches with everybody, and doesn't lose alot, but he loses enough.

Booker T has also beaten Kurt Angle, and hasnt once held the belt since he has been with the company. Booker T is the one man who I think is long, long, long, long overdue.

Personally, I really wouldn't be opposed to Rey holding the Title, but the point that I was trying to make is that Rey as champion might not be believable to somebody just tuning in, or even to the casual fan.

Favre4Ever
09-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Also, lets not put Eddie and Sean O'Haire in the same sentence again.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-19-2005, 01:31 AM

But ya just did it ya schmuck ;)

And let's not tell Kevin what to do. Eddie's already manipulative, why not take it to the next step.

Kane Knight
09-19-2005, 01:36 AM
i am about rey mysterio's height :(

It's funny, because Rey's not all that small. I think human male norm is about 5'8" or so, no? It's perspective. Compared to WWE stars, I'm not all that impressive, being 6'5", despite how I look against the "average" joe.

Kane Knight
09-19-2005, 01:42 AM

Let's think about this for a second.

Eddie Guererro was a legit champion.

Eddie can't beat Rey.

Rey doesn't look like a threat.

What the fuck?

Rey works great, especially if we get a bully heel. He's already got a GREAT response from the fans, making the underdog face deal easy. He's got a great moveset (relative to the WWE) which can be used to "outsmart" the heel even if he's unable to outdo the heel in the muscle department.

Kane Knight
09-19-2005, 01:44 AM

Eddie and Sean O'Haire would make an AWESOME tag team.

JH
09-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Let's think about this for a second.

Eddie Guererro was a legit champion.

Eddie can't beat Rey.

Rey doesn't look like a threat.

What the fuck?

Rey works great, especially if we get a bully heel. He's already got a GREAT response from the fans, making the underdog face deal easy. He's got a great moveset (relative to the WWE) which can be used to "outsmart" the heel even if he's unable to outdo the heel in the muscle department.

i've been pushing for rey to become champ for awhile now and hope like hell it happens

Cuzziebro
09-19-2005, 09:27 AM
A while ago, after Benoit made Brock tap at Survivor Series, Brock started doing the Brock Lock and he went up against Rey (it was a title shot) and Brock almost got beat by Rey, so if Rey could almost beat Brock and Rey has beaten Eddie and Angle give me one reason why he cant be world champion.

Eunos
09-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Id love to see it happen.
Unfortunatly i have my doubts though.

Like people have suggested.. Perhaps Guerrero beats Batista and wins the World title and holds it till Wrestlemania when Mysterio beats him clean for it.

Morgan
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm thinking Orton Vs Rey at Wrestlemania for the title. I don't think Eddie's going to win, it's building to Orton Vs Batista.

Jaton
09-19-2005, 11:11 AM
In all seriousness, it'll probably be JBL/Batista at WM. Mark my words.

Londoner
09-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I think Rey would make a good champion, he would be the real underdog kind of champion, he'll have all the odds against him, so I think that could work.I honestly think they have done this feud with him and Eddie to see how he would cope in the world title scene, and to build him up for the push. I reckon Eddie has a good chance of beating batista, and then Reys title push will begin, it's going to happen soon.Height shouldn't be an issue with someone of Reys ability i think.

mrslackalack
09-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I'd put the U.S. Title on Rey first. Yes I would give the belt for Rey and see how it went. I remember back in WCW in early 99 how the crowd was reacting when he almost beat Flair for the belt.

Someone1001
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Rey could potentially win the title with the way they push him...but ultimately, he just isn't championship material at the moment. A few years back in WCW...maybe. But he's just dull to watch in the ring now. Every match with him is the same as the match before that. Well...at least he's better than Cena.

Shadow
09-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Rey could potentially win the title with the way they push him...but ultimately, he just isn't championship material at the moment. A few years back in WCW...maybe. But he's just dull to watch in the ring now. Every match with him is the same as the match before that. Well...at least he's better than Cena.

Wow....just wow.

Favre4Ever
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Damn, somethings going on in here.

.44 Magdalene
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Rey Mysterio + World Championship = Gold.

That's all I've got to say.

Sadistic
09-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Yes, and why not have Viscera go for the cruiser weight title.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Yes, and why not have Viscera go for the cruiser weight title.

Because the CW title has a weight limit, silly.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the match ending is already obvious... Either Bastista reverses the West Coast Pop into the power bomb, or Rey reverses the powerbomb into a Rana.

Impact!
09-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Rey Mysterio + World Championship = Gold.

That's all I've got to say.
Anybody + World Championship = Gold

You know, coz it's gold and all.

Goulet
09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I may get flamed for this, but personally I couldn't buy someone who was 5'6" and 175lbs as the world heavyweight champ. I think Mysterio is awesome and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but I can't get past the size of him. Plus that big gold belt would look ridiculous on him.

BigDaddyCool
09-21-2005, 12:04 PM
For Rey to be a legit champion, he has to be booked against a string of other legit champions, and beat them all. These champion should be guys like Angle, Beniot, Eddie, Jericho, and Shawn Micheals. Now, it might be hard, what with Jericho on vacation, and Micheals and Angle being on Raw.

But lets say they set up another King of the Ring type tourny where the winner gets to face either champion, and Rey went through Eddie, Beniot, Micheals, and Angle, then it could look like Rey is a threat. Rey could then beat Batistia, making Rey the champion of Gaint Killers. Rey could then work some angles with guys like Booker T, and Christian. Then lose to JBL. I think that would make everyone happy.

Volare
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
i wonder if we arent going through another wave of title holders.

Look back the the mid 90's besides Yokozuna, shawn michales, bret hart, ric flair, DDR, Sting, Luger.... they werent overly giant sized, muscular, 300+ pound wrestlers we kinda see today.

they showed that it took technical skill to wear down your opp and nail them with the finisher for the win. Now we are at the stage where guys like guerrero, benoit, and angle, seem to be beringing back that cycle for technical wrestlers to get an advantage over being big and strong. (IMO) hopefully this can continue so that anyone could be a threat instead of thinking ""oh well undertaker is bigger so he has to win or batista is stronger than guerrero so he will win""