PDA

View Full Version : So let's pretend for a bit...

The One
09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
You have access to every single peice of wrestling footage ever, and someone comes up to you, someone who has never seen a single match, and doesn't even know the names Austin, Hogan, McMahon, or WWE for that matter. Yet they wanted to get into wrestling, and you had one hour to get them into it. What would you show them in that one hour?

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Its strange but if I had to 'get them into it' I wouldn't show them classic Flair, Savage or Steamboat matches. I'd probably go for the lowest denominator and perhaps show them any one of the TLC matches or Austin-HHH 3 stages of hell.

Then, once they are hooked on over-the-top violence and gimmick matches I'd slowly introduce the technical, psychological genius that is Flair, Steamboat et al. It's pretty much how I got into wrestling and how I've developed since then. And if a lot of posters on TPWW are honest, it's the same with them too.

Shadow
09-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Its strange but if I had to 'get them into it' I wouldn't show them classic Flair, Savage or Steamboat matches. I'd probably go for the lowest denominator and perhaps show them any one of the TLC matches or Austin-HHH 3 stages of hell.

Then, once they are hooked on over-the-top violence and gimmick matches I'd slowly introduce the technical, psychological genius that is Flair, Steamboat et al. It's pretty much how I got into wrestling and how I've developed since then. And if a lot of posters on TPWW are honest, it's the same with them too.

The Fox
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Probably some hardcore matches, cause usaly people that are just
starting to watch wrestling watch it for that

Dave Youell
09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
If i had an hour:

Austin/Bret Mania 13
Taker/Mankind Hell in a cell
Benoit/Angle Royal Rumble

In that order

The One
09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
OK...well playing by my own rules...I would show...

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Submission Match from WrestleMania 13) [22 minutes]

Ric Flair vs. Harley Race (NWA World Title Cage Match from StarrCade '83) [26 minutes]

The Flyin' Elvises (Siaki, Estrada & Yang) vs. AJ Styles, Jerry Lynn, & Low Ki (First TNA match ever from 06.19.02) [7 minutes]

I would put them in that order, cause the Austin/Hart match is so fucking incredible I think it captures the heart of wrestling, then show the history with Race and Flair, and then what I think is the future as far as in ring talent goes with the debut of the X-Division...I completly agree you can't show Steamboat and Flair and expect people to buy into it without knowing a bit about the business...however I don't think you need to start them off with TLC stuff. This may be just because when I got into wrestling basically no one had ever even heard of a ladder match...so the different sides of wrestling all packaged in something they can't take their eyes off of.

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
That TNA match is only 7 minutes long?

(great idea for a thread btw :y: )

Crimson
09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Probably some promos of the Rock,Angle, or HBK, just to get warmed up. Then like the Ausin-Bret Hart match...and the 1st TLC match.

The One
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
7:48 starting with the entrence of the Elvises (Lynn, Styles, & Ki are already in the ring) The bell doesn't ring until after the one minute mark, so the match itself is actually somewhere around 6:30. Still they packed a TON of shit in there.

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Cue the inevitable 'please upload this match' request :D

The One
09-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah I'll get on it...give me a second or two.

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Good man :y:

Anybody Thrilla
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Any bra and panties match. Sex sells.

The One
09-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I am trying, but RapidShare is fucking up and it won't let me upload it, someone else give me a file share program and I will get it up.

Innovator
09-26-2005, 06:04 PM
CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe II, two guys fighting for the title they both cherish more than their own bodies

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Cheers for trying anyway big guy. I'll get it from somewhere

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm glad Sadistic isn't online or he'd be suggesting some sick CZW Ultraviolent Death Tournament

McLegend
09-26-2005, 06:06 PM
If i had an hour:

Austin/Bret Mania 13
Taker/Mankind Hell in a cell
Benoit/Angle Royal Rumble

In that order
quality list there :y:

Dave Youell
09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
quality list there :y:

Cheers, well I thought i'd explain my reasons for it.

I stuck with WWE mainly because if that guy was going to get into after, may as well give him the best source for it.

Austin/Bret isn't a wrestling match, it's just raw emotion and a great brawl and it tells a great story

Taker/Foley mainly to kill the 'but it's all fake' theory, this is the best match I can think of to show that

Benoit/Angle, just as a change of pace and my personal fave match this decade, it shows what wrestling should be about, wrestling! If they liked the Austin/Bret match they should blow their load watching this one, story telling in a different way, but by god such a great fucking match

FourFifty
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Damn it, I need more time. I'd like to show Savage VS Jake Roberts and footage of that whole deal when Jake had the snake bite Savage just to show this person the fan's reaction. Savage VS The Warrior from WMVII is also a good match. Then again, Savage was one of the wrestlers that really hooked me into it.

But I'd want to show more than just what I like and what I'm used to. I wish I watched WCW more often just to see some kick ass lucha wrestling... Okay, I think I have it.

15 mins of technical wrestling
15 mins of high flying wrestling.
10 mins of promos
5 mins of hardcore wrestling
15 mins of TLC.

Only an hour... That's not long enough to get a nice reel of footage.

The Gooch
09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
It would be hard to just show matches because it is usually the back story that draws me in.

I think I would run promos and matches from the Corporate Rock and Mankind feud. Amazing mic work with some very entertaining matches between the two.

Unfortunately after the person witnessed that and tuned into the WWE they will be so fucking disappointed at how downhill everything has become.

Loose Cannon
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
you have to show them the stories, the interviews and stuff, you can't just show them matches. Show them the builds to the matches to where they aere dying to see certain matches.

Loose Cannon
09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
lol, didn't even see Gooch's post. Would of quoted that.

The Gooch
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
lol, didn't even see Gooch's post. Would of quoted that.

It's an important enough point LC that it should be raised twice.

:y:

Pinnacle Charisma
09-27-2005, 10:11 AM
This may seem a bit out of left field but I would show them the main event of Wrestlemania 16 (four way for the title, mcmahon in every cornor )and the following Backlash main event (rock vs hhh).

I was a mark when I first watched wrestling in 1999 then I lost intrest.

A few years later I watched Wrestlmania 16 and then backlash I loved it.

Having never seen a stacked agasnt the odds babyface storyline that was played out in those two matches it was enough to make you love the Rock.

Also seeing four of the most charismatic entertainers in WWE history in McMahon, Rocky, foley and Austin in action is enough to warrant someones intrest in wrestling.

Karlsberg
09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
As a few others have already said i would probably show them a TLC match or maybe hell in a cell as a way of getting them to sit up and take notice.

I would also throw a few Rock, Austin and Foley promos in. Then after they were hooked i would show them the technical brilliance of the likes of Angle, Benoit, steamboat and Anderson etc etc.

Jordan
09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
I would start off with a real classic that you can get sucked into... I would show a 15 minute clipped version of Bret Hart/HBK Iron Man Match

Then I would show The Undertaker v.s Mankind at King of the Ring 95. clipped (all the slow spots) after showing a 5 minute video on the feud between the two.

Then I would show AJ Styles v.s Samoa Joe v.s Christopher Daniels from TNA's Unbreakable... I think they would be hooked.

Jordan
09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
And then they would be really dissapointed when they started watching WWE.

redoneja
09-27-2005, 09:58 PM
RVD v Jerry Lynn(Hardcore Heaven 1999)
Bret Hart v Steve Austin(Wrestlemania 13)

Pinnacle Charisma
09-28-2005, 01:09 AM
That TNA match is only 7 minutes long?

(great idea for a thread btw :y: )

Yeah it is a great idea for a thread. The guy on Rajah that started a thread with the exact same topic a few months ago must be a smart guy ;)

BigDaddyCool
09-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I would hand them the book know as Wrestlecrap.

BigDaddyCool
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Hmmmmm, guess that isn't an hour's worth of video...

BigDaddyCool
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
But if it had to be an hour, and they wanted to know what wrestling is about, I suppose I would have them watch probably a highlight real of wrestling matches from WWE in the past 3 months, so at least they know what is currently going on. Then from their they can go find out the past.

Aussie Skier
09-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I think you need mathes which are quite hardcore. If they're not hardcore and have too many punches, newbies may loose interest in it because the inevitable "is this stuff real" question will come up. My choices:

TLC match...hmmm, number 1
Some Austin-McMahon footage (including the beer truck incident)
Rock, Austin, Angle promo's

Nark Order
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Bret vs HBK Wrestlemania 12

The Naitch
09-28-2005, 09:05 PM
The InVasion :shifty:

Sadistic
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Austin-HHH 3 stages of hell........over-the-top violence
lol. You have a lot to see and learn about wrestling.