PDA

View Full Version : Underserved Pushes

Pinnacle Charisma
10-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Who do you think in wrestling history has received the most undeserved push.

Marsters and HHH come to mind.

While HHH is a good wrestlers is not in my view worthy of having 10 championship runs.

Nervous Ferret
10-01-2005, 03:25 AM
He is the game

PureHatred
10-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Seriously, 1999-2000, Trips was THE reason I watched wrestling. One of the best runs as a monster heel ever.

To the topic: Every wrestler the WCW pushed during the 80swith a huge debut and promotional video basically sucked balls: El Gigante, that guy who was kinda like SubZero, Alex Wright.....

PureHatred
10-01-2005, 03:37 AM
RoboCop

Pinnacle Charisma
10-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Yeah Trips was great in 2000. He was probally the hottest thing in wrestling during 2000.

But I still think he is unworthy of being a 10 time champion.

Maybe a 3-5 title reign champion in my eyes

dablackguy
10-01-2005, 03:43 AM
To the topic: Every wrestler the WCW pushed during the 80s with a huge debut and promotional video basically sucked balls: El Gigante, that guy who was kinda like SubZero, Alex Wright.....[/QUOTE]

You refer to Glacier

IMO any and all Mark Henry Pushes were undeserved and Carlito's U.S. title push was undeserved
Big Show's World title push a few years back
Masters right now
Randy Orton's world title push, not so much undeserving but too much too soon

This coming from a guy who likes Carlito mind you

The One
10-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Most undeserved push ever? Mable. Had no fan reaction, no talent, no charisma, no gimmick worth mentioning, nothing. Yet a King of the Ring and a World Title shot at a few PPVs in a row.

Destor
10-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Several come to mind.

M.O.M.
Two of the worst wrestlers ever backed by the worst manager ever. They were only given the tag titles because the WWF was going after a "urban" demographic. They are a black stain on all bad gimmicks.

Lex Luger in '87
At this time he was a talentless P.o.S. He was carried to matches that were still painful to watch. Yet they still gave him the U.S. championship. Why to this day I do not know.

Brock Lesnar
I am a huge fan tbh. That is besides the point. He never paid his dues and because of this the guy they had invested all of their time on left to play football. Had they waited he might of gained the respect for the business that he needed, and stayed to continue to put on the phenomenal matches that he was capable of.

Btw, HHH is one of the most over guys in the business. He has 10 title reins because of his in ring skill, his mic skill, and the fact that he is from the attitude era, for the casual fan tuning in and seeing him they go: HEY! I remember that guy. And hopefully they stick around. Oh yeah, he also has some of those title reins due to some politicking.

JH
10-01-2005, 08:03 AM
masters come to mind first for me
carlitos first push even though i am now a fan of his
hbk's first singles push he really had'nt proved at the time that he deserved but he obviously proved that he could do it

and wcw well hell how many days do we have here so that we could list them all lol
immediately coming to mind is shawn stasiak,david flair,mongo mcmichael,prince iaukea

My Final Heaven
10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Only one thing came into my head when I read the title of this thread. MNM. I mean, you have these 2 generic, green kids who couldn't even get over in OVW without being stuck with a piece of ass for god's sake, & they're getting shoved into a program with THE WWE CHAMPION. It's kinda humorous tho, every once in a while after they hit a big move on somebody, they'll just stop & get this scared look on their face...

in Mercury-or-Nitro's head: "Uh oh, I didn't hear that last thing Animal said ta me in that rear chinlock... whattam I supposed ta do??? :'( "

lol I remember when Orton used to do that too. Melina's just as bad, homely as all hell but she's got big tits & a little waist so I guess that justifies her juicy contract :roll:. Well that's my 2 cents.

Evolution
10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Don't forget Vince Russo and David Arquette

EricEastwood
10-01-2005, 01:05 PM
most undeserving?

Orton, not in general, jus the fact he beat the undertaker pisses me off

Cena... haha i jus hate Cena.... Angle would kill him and everyone knows it

Lex Luger.. not just 87..... but always...

JBL.... w/o Faarooq would anybody know him?

Kevin Nash... jus some dumbass tall guy

Jeff Jarret... past his prime.. but i guess its easy being champ of ur own company...

Raven... welll lets jus leave it at Raven... he betta thank Jake the Snake for a Career,,, DDT

Eugene.. i mean come on if my gimmick was a retard id kill myself.... and besides how the hell would he beat angle?? NEVER

Chris Masters is underrated in my opinion,, hes never fought anyone with star status... and i dont count Michaels cuz he is way too old and way overrated..

HHH is the man and anyone that doesnt think so is a fucking moron.....theyre prolly bashin him cuz theyre Cena fans and they know Cenas title reign is over hahahahahahahahhahahahaha

dablackguy
10-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Any of the recent tag title pushes
MNM, Cade and the ogre err..... murdoch, basically any of the tag teams that come in and win the belt after one show

EricEastwood
10-01-2005, 01:09 PM
technically Cade was there for a while.... so it wasnt after one show...... but those guys are a tagteam and they have alot of team moves.... its what tag team needs now.. not jus two singles stars who happen to form a team,,, big picture.. big picture......

Nark Order
10-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Holly

Favre4Ever
10-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Haku.

Savio
10-01-2005, 01:25 PM
.....Kennedy

Loose Cannon
10-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Lex Luger in '87
At this time he was a talentless P.o.S. He was carried to matches that were still painful to watch. Yet they still gave him the U.S. championship. Why to this day I do not know.

Brock Lesnar
I am a huge fan tbh. That is besides the point. He never paid his dues and because of this the guy they had invested all of their time on left to play football. Had they waited he might of gained the respect for the business that he needed, and stayed to continue to put on the phenomenal matches that he was capable of.

This is more of personal bias then anything else.

Both Luger and Lesnar were over when they recieved pushes. It's not like they bombed because they were pushed. Fans wanted to see them and paid to see them. Who cares if Brock wanted t play football and who cares if you didn't like Luger's matches. That doesn't change the fact that they did well with thier pushes in terms of business.

Gertner
10-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Masters kicks ass

Destor
10-01-2005, 01:49 PM
This is more of personal bias then anything else.

Both Luger and Lesnar were over when they recieved pushes. It's not like they bombed because they were pushed. Fans wanted to see them and paid to see them. Who cares if Brock wanted t play football and who cares if you didn't like Luger's matches. That doesn't change the fact that they did well with thier pushes in terms of business.

I didn't say they pushes weren't successful, I said they didn't deserve them. When Luger was pushed he was worse than Masters. He could barley pump out a five minute match that was watchable. Yet they pushed him anyway, something NWA didn't do that often. He was green to the point he had new car smell.

The Lesnar deal has nothing to do with bias. As I stated I was a huge fan and borderline mark of the guy. This doesn't change the fact he didn't deserve his push. Did he have the in ring talent? Yes. Did he have the mic skills? Sort of, but had Heyman so it matter. Did he have the charisma? Ya. Did he deserve the push? No. At the time he was pushed he had been in the business two years. That is no where no the length it takes to earn respect for it. They spent two years making him the next big thing just for him to turn around and leave just because he didn't have to work to get where he got. If he had busted his ass for a couple of years then he would have felt as if he accomplished something thus, hopefully, not wanting to leave. He didn't deserve it because he was still to young in the biz to appreciate it, just like Luger in some ways.

Both of these guys got over, but they didn't deserve their pushes. They were handed them because (in Lugers case) look, or in Brocks case.... I dont know why they pushed him so young. He was talented enough, but paying your dues should factor in somewhere.

Loose Cannon
10-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Paying your dues SHOULD NOT factor into anywhere in today's day and age if you can make money. Wrestling is a business where money is the main asset. If you can make money being pushed at the age of 19, then who's to say you don't deserve it?

dablackguy
10-01-2005, 01:58 PM
technically Cade was there for a while.... so it wasnt after one show...... but those guys are a tagteam and they have alot of team moves.... its what tag team needs now.. not jus two singles stars who happen to form a team,,, big picture.. big picture......

Yup, just what the tag team division needs champs that get NO reaction whatsoever

Destor
10-01-2005, 02:01 PM
The people who did bust their ass to get where this new green schmuck is. Thats who should say they don't deserve it. But if you're looking at from a capitalist standpoint you are clearly indisputable in you're assessment. But if your after the passion or the heart of the sport then dues are a necessity.

Anyone who is a legend payed their dues and thats not a coincidence. It builds character and gives you time to grow in talent, but most importantly it makes you respect where you are because you remember where you came from.

Again, if all you are after is money, push the young guy. In three years when he leaves and you have to make new talent in a hurry don't be surprised.

Loose Cannon
10-01-2005, 02:09 PM
You have to make new talent every three or four years anyway. what's your point? When Austin got stale by the end of 2000, they needed to make new guys. You see guys coming and going all the time in today's WWE. Look at Hassan. It's just the reality of today's wrestling. Wrestling has changed very much since the old days. You don't get the paying your dues anymore that you got in the old days.

dablackguy
10-01-2005, 02:22 PM
You have to make new talent every three or four years anyway. what's your point? When Austin got stale by the end of 2000, they needed to make new guys. You see guys coming and going all the time in today's WWE. Look at Hassan. It's just the reality of today's wrestling. Wrestling has changed very much since the old days. You don't get the paying your dues anymore that you got in the old days.

If you were a fan of X local sports team and you knew your favorite player was leaving in 2 years regardless of what happened, would you be as into the team?

You have to make new talent every few years, true. But what about the select talent that stays around longer? Do you believe the business should be full of guys who got their first title within 2 weeks of being on the active roster? In a way, that's what you'd be breeding. Guys that got the world on a platter and then say "that's it?" because they really never earned it. I think the fan is drawn to talent that's been around longer just because of nostalgia. I mean, how else could hulk hogan still draw like he does, perhaps the technical wrestling skills. Hmmm..... :shifty:

Loose Cannon
10-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hogan DOES NOT draw anymore. I was going to have a long post about this in hulkamanias thread, but I'll do it here. Hogan might SPIKE a few PPV buys or a few Raw numbers, but that's the most of hi drawing power. He's a novelty act today. He comes and fans are happy to see him again. Then he does his thing and leaves and the cycle repeats. He DOES NOT have LONG TERM drawing power anymore. And guys like Austin are the same way.

No, I don't think wrestling should be like that today. I wish it was like the old days. But it's not anymore. And you are just going to have to accept these short term guys that come and go. Maybe a guy like Orton and Cena will be here for a while, but I even see Cena going away to do other stuff.

Destor
10-01-2005, 02:28 PM
The point is if done right you wont have to bring in new talent every three or four years. When it comes to Steve Austin he could have held the ball for years to come if it wasn't for the injuries.

Hassan is a good point. Because no one is paying their dues you get guys using wrestling as a stepping stone to higher mediums, as opposed to trying to become the best in the business. Most guys are out there to make the most money from any medium they can, and I don't blame them for that, if money is what they want thats fine. But where are the guys who want to go down as the best pro wrestler of all time? The heart of pro wrestling is lost.

Sadly you are right, times have changed. The business (or at least the WWE) is all about the flavor of the month, like the rest of the mainstream mediums. Wrestling isn't the way I remember it. Dues don't matter because the business don't matter, its a platform now.

Damn LC you all most made me hate pro-wrestling fora minute, but then I remembered there still are places that care about quality, that care about more than the all mighty dollar. At least on the Indy circuit tradition still matters. When it comes to the big boys, you are right.

V
10-01-2005, 02:43 PM
bret hart, kurt angle, shawn micheals, ric flair, chris jericho, the rock, hardcore holly

Destor
10-01-2005, 02:48 PM
:eek:

The One
10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
bret hart, kurt angle, shawn micheals, ric flair, chris jericho, the rock, hardcore holly

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I think this is the first time ever that all those names have been mentioned in the same breath....Holly is the only one on that list who you maybe have a point with. But even with that I would argue that Holly worked long and hard enough to get the push, he just bombed once it came around.

*EDIT*Just relised who posted it...love you. :kiss:

Blue Demon
10-01-2005, 03:22 PM
A lot of people hate on Carlito, I tihnk he's freakin hilarious

JH
10-01-2005, 03:29 PM
most undeserving?

Orton, not in general, jus the fact he beat the undertaker pisses me off

Cena... haha i jus hate Cena.... Angle would kill him and everyone knows it

Lex Luger.. not just 87..... but always...

JBL.... w/o Faarooq would anybody know him?

Kevin Nash... jus some dumbass tall guy

Jeff Jarret... past his prime.. but i guess its easy being champ of ur own company...

Raven... welll lets jus leave it at Raven... he betta thank Jake the Snake for a Career,,, DDT

Eugene.. i mean come on if my gimmick was a retard id kill myself.... and besides how the hell would he beat angle?? NEVER

Chris Masters is underrated in my opinion,, hes never fought anyone with star status... and i dont count Michaels cuz he is way too old and way overrated..

HHH is the man and anyone that doesnt think so is a fucking moron.....theyre prolly bashin him cuz theyre Cena fans and they know Cenas title reign is over hahahahahahahahhahahahaha

first it was takers idea to go down to orton
cena actually worked his ass off to get to ovw and then to wwe
people knew who jbl was before faarooq but yes he was known more after that BUT look how damn long he has been with the company
nash can work better than alot of guys nowadays
jarrett is 1 not past his prime cause he can still put on a helluva match and 2 he's not running the company anymore and he's not even on the booking team hell as a matter of fact he was in fact never on the booking team for his last 2 runs with the title it's now a known fact dusty kept the title on him and it was'nt jj's choice
raven you actually say raven never deserved a push what the fuck are you smoking raven is fucking awesome and he was the shit in ecw not to mention what he has done in tna
eugene deserves any push he gets for the shit they are putting him through cause nick dinsmore is the fucking man
masters is underated oh shit i almost spit my drink out on that one
michaels overated damn seriously what the fuck are you smoking i mean hell next thing you will say is ric flair should have never been world champion

and last but never least i guess i'm a fucking moron by your standards cause triple h is not and i repeat NOT the man as you call him

NUFF SAID

Shadow
10-01-2005, 05:14 PM
....Where did you get your typing skills? Cause you need to give them back.

As for people who are undeserving of pushes...Any of those guys who win the big one right out of the gate. And yes...that does mean MNM and Cade and the Ogre.

Savio
10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Shady they got pushed cuz there is no division......

----------
LOD 3

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
10-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Albert/A-Train.

Jaton
10-01-2005, 09:08 PM
....Where did you get your typing skills? Cause you need to give them back.

As for people who are undeserving of pushes...Any of those guys who win the big one right out of the gate. And yes...that does mean MNM and Cade and the Ogre.

It's not a successful debut if you don't win a title within a week, if not the first night. :shifty:

Next week, Bobby Lashley shall squash Batista.

samichna
10-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Read the thread title as "Undeserved Pubes".

samichna
10-01-2005, 09:18 PM
BTW, my answer was gonna be FEMALES.

Fubar28
10-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Only one thing came into my head when I read the title of this thread. MNM. I mean, you have these 2 generic, green kids who couldn't even get over in OVW without being stuck with a piece of ass for god's sake, & they're getting shoved into a program with THE WWE CHAMPION. It's kinda humorous tho, every once in a while after they hit a big move on somebody, they'll just stop & get this scared look on their face...

in Mercury-or-Nitro's head: "Uh oh, I didn't hear that last thing Animal said ta me in that rear chinlock... whattam I supposed ta do??? :'( "

lol I remember when Orton used to do that too. Melina's just as bad, homely as all hell but she's got big tits & a little waist so I guess that justifies her juicy contract :roll:. Well that's my 2 cents.

I'm glad somebody else hates MNM. I haven't liked them since the minute they came out.

For me it's a lot of guys right now Masters, Sylvan, Conway, they may have talent, but hard to tell threw shit gimmicks. Masters to me has absolutely no talent he just another big guy who Vince has a hard on for.

Carlito doesn't bother me, he just needs to stay away from titles for a while & stay as comic relief since thats what he is good at.

mrslackalack
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I like Kevin Nash but I believe he shouldnt have had the WWF title for a whole year.

owenbrown
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
HHH .... since September of '02 when he was HANDED the World Heavyweight title. :wtf:

Fuck you 2005 owenbrown -2013 owenbrown

The Ravishing One
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Brock lesner

Afterlife
10-09-2005, 05:23 AM
.....Kennedy

You're an idiot.

Batsu
10-09-2005, 11:57 AM
The Lesnar deal has nothing to do with bias. As I stated I was a huge fan and borderline mark of the guy. This doesn't change the fact he didn't deserve his push.

Pretty much how I feel about Lesnar. He deserved -a- push, but not so quick a push. Goldberg beat a bunch of jobbers before he went to the big time...

He made for some great TV the short time he was around, but they did too much, too soon with him. Like, everything except the fact that he was pushed so soon to the moon...with The Rock and everyone else making it happen, was great. The F-5 was perhaps one of the best finishers to come out of a WWE superstar in forever, and probably the last good one besides The Mark of Excellence, and whatever they called Matt Morgan's finisher before they changed it into the F-5. Brock was the perfect person to use it, as well. Seeing him do that move to Rikishi pretty much "sold" Brock as a wrestler to me... but they really didn't really give him the kind of long-term lookahead that say, Kurt Angle got. Well, Heyman should have been talking for him a lot longer.

However, as for some truly undeserved pushes...

Luger, Hogan (in 2002, post nWo, and any time afterward), A-Train (WTF?)...
Orton's first "WCW" (RAW) Heavyweight Title Run (if they were going to give it back to HHH, they might as well have just had Benoit drop it)....though, Orton has somewhat rebounded from that misstep. Now all he has to do is RKO the Undertaker one last time and move on.

But most of all, HHH from mid-'02 on up. He started to really suck that year...and that's strange because he was at his peak of popularity then.

Savio
10-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I think Kurt got the belt to fast too.

mrslackalack
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Yokozuna had been in WWE for only 6 months before he got the world title.