PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross to Be Booted Off RAW??

KayfabeMan
10-06-2005, 08:27 AM
from PWBTS.com

"Several online sources are reporting that WWE is
giving serious thought to making a major change to
the RAW announce team; replacing longtime announcer
Jim Ross; with discussion of UFC announcer Mike
Goldberg being the replacement.

There's been speculation that WWE is looking for a
younger look on its flagship show, given the recent
placement of Jonathan Coachman alongside the longtime
WWE broadcast team of Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross.

While this story should be considered a rumor at this
point...it is clear that such a move would anger many
longtime wrestling fans, who view any changes as a
even-further watering down of the ability to communicate
the wrestling product, and go even further in the direction
of sports "entertainment"...

Jaton
10-06-2005, 08:30 AM
I read about that last night. Weird to see, no?

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm going to be the first to overtly say that - "this is good news."

Londoner
10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
It's about time, JR's been on long enough i'm sure he's sick of it now anyway.

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 09:05 AM
It's about time, JR's been on long enough i'm sure he's sick of it now anyway.

...and i'm sick of him. His broadcasts are far too cliche-ridden it's hard to take anything he says seriously. For example, the guy is doing his best to hype up the next PPV main event and all I think about when I hear his voice is 'chocolate turnbuckle'. He's become a parody of himself.

Crashnburn
10-06-2005, 10:08 AM
:y:

JH
10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
i seriosuly dont see that happening at all

DarkAngel
10-06-2005, 10:37 AM
no :(

Dave Youell
10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
For the record, Jr WAS one of the best announcers in the biz, since the attitiude era though, he has gone downhill, which is a shame. I think we all want Joey Styles, but that isn't going to happen, no idea who this UFC guy is though, is he any good?

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Is the UFC guy the same guy who does Fear Factor, because he's not very good at all

Innovator
10-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Thats Joe Rogan, good try though

Mike Goldberg is the play by play guy for UFC, he has done a good job calling fights.

BigDaddyCool
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
If they get rid of JR, will the get rid of the King too? I hope so because he is so boring and annoying

CSL
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
<font color=white>I really don't think RAW would be the same without J.R. As cliched as he may be (and maybe even a bit 'behind the times'), nobody in the business helps make a match like he does when commentating and nobody does the 'emotional, we're going off air, Jesus Christ has just resurrected in the ring' hyperbole quite like Mr. Ross. Nobody.

And I think that would be a big loss to WWE</font>

Nark Order
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Joe Rogan would be better.

FourFifty
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
<font color=white>Jesus Christ has just resurrected in the ring</font>

JR can bring in that kind of enegry.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I've gotten so used to saying BAHGAWDSTUNNER to make fun of him but in all honesty I like his style. He's part of Raw.
However, on the other hand, if the WWE wants to bring in a younger person to help pull more viewers, I say go for it. Maybe have JR do in-ring interviews? I really don't want to see him fade away into just some dude that works backstage.

Ruien
10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
<font color=white>I really don't think RAW would be the same without J.R. As cliched as he may be (and maybe even a bit 'behind the times'), nobody in the business helps make a match like he does when commentating and nobody does the 'emotional, we're going off air, Jesus Christ has just resurrected in the ring' hyperbole quite like Mr. Ross. Nobody.

And I think that would be a big loss to WWE</font>

+1

redoneja
10-06-2005, 01:09 PM
They should bring in Joe Rogan and Tyrone Biggums(character from Chapelle's Show).

Seriously though, give JR the boot. I can still tolerate King, but I would actually enjoy seeing Coach, King, Paul Heyman call the Raw events.

Londoner
10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I say replace King with heyman again, King has had his time.

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I say replace King with heyman again, King has had his time.

A few weeks ago, I watched a tape of Raw just before Wrestlemania 17 which I had put away. Heyman was doing commentary with JR and he was superb. He was doing his best to put everyone on the show over, not just the ECW talent but everyone from Test to Christian. It seems JR only wants to put over the big boys like Cena, HHH, Angle, HBK and of course Hogan. It was refreshing to hear at least one of the commentators talk about the match at hand rather than hype the main event later in the night - Heyman would improve the product, no doubt about that

KayfabeMan
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I say get rid of the entire RAW broadcast team, and replace them with Steve Austin, Nick Diamond and Johnny Gomez :y:

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 03:36 PM
"Good fight... good night"

Joey Slugs
10-06-2005, 03:42 PM

:y:

CharismaInjection
10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
They also said King was almost certainly gone two months ago. Nothing came of that.

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Who are 'they' and when was this said?

CharismaInjection
10-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Two months ago, an insider said Coach was brought to the announce team to replace King, they said Coach was cheaper than King and basically did the same commentry. It said to be prepared to say goodbye to King in the next few weeks.

Nothing happened, doesn't anyone else remember this?

vampiro03
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
jr sucks and to who "they" are is explained in x-files the movie.lol

LK
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
It's kinda weird thinking about Raw without JR but if there is a decent successor, then it might a good thing. How much I would love a commentary team of Styles and Heyman.

Chavo Classic
10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't replace JR with Heyman or Styles, despite my admiration for both. The WWE would only do this to give Raw a new direction and look ("...there's been speculation that WWE is looking for a younger look on its flagship show...") so it'd probably be in their best interest to recruit someone new, who could bring a new perspective and voice to the product. Heyman and Styles are voices from the past. This UFC guy would be perceived as the future.

Mr. JL
10-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed Jim Ross on commentary when there are good-to-great matches occuring in the ring. I believe his commentary job in the WM XX main event was awesome. ANytime there are great matches ... JR is great on commentary.

Since, the WWE has become more 'sports entertainment' oriented and the matches that suck have increased significantly, I believe JR's commentary has gone along right with it. I can't blame him. If I was a wrestling fan or in the wrestling business for 30 years and saw the shit wrestling I see now on WWE programming, I'd probably be bored enough to think up 'the turnbuckle ain't made of chocolate' lines too.

I can think of two other RAW commentators that I would tell to take a hike before I fired Jim Ross.

Mr. JL
10-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I enjoyed Jim Ross on commentary when there are good-to-great matches occuring in the ring. I believe his commentary job in the WM XX main event was awesome. ANytime there are great matches ... JR is great on commentary.

Since, the WWE has become more 'sports entertainment' oriented and the matches that suck have increased significantly, I believe JR's commentary has gone along right with it. I can't blame him. If I was a wrestling fan or in the wrestling business for 30 years and saw the shit wrestling I see now on WWE programming, I'd probably be bored enough to think up 'the turnbuckle ain't made of chocolate' lines too.

I can think of two other RAW commentators that I would tell to take a hike before I fired Jim Ross.

Avenger
10-06-2005, 06:54 PM
To be perfectly honest I don't think I could imagine a Wrestlemania main event, or for that matter, any great RAW (or RAW PPV) main event match without JR. I think he calls Triple H's matches brilliantly and really can add to a great match and make it really great.

I would hate to see him go, but I must reluctantly say- that time has come.

Lux
10-06-2005, 07:35 PM
he was great and if he goes i'll miss him but if times change then so do the people so..

BlackDawn2024
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
JR>>>you

That's a fact, jack. And these message boards aren't made of barbecue sauce, I can tell you that.

TerranRich
10-06-2005, 10:29 PM
BAHGAWD BROKEN IN HALF BARBEQUE GOVERNMENT CHEESE!

...BAHGAWD Kennedy

The Naitch
10-06-2005, 10:49 PM
get rid of JR. Can't stand him. He had his time. Get rid of King too.

Coach and UFC guy will be ten times better

KingofOldSchool
10-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Bring back Tony Schivane!

:shifty:

KingofOldSchool
10-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Wait...Vince said on Monday night that "somebody is going to get fired" for what Austin did to him and his family.

Could this lead up to Vince "firing" J.R.?

loopydate
10-06-2005, 10:58 PM
They could replace JR with Bill Goldberg, and the show would improve.

KingofOldSchool
10-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Hmmm..

Sean Mooney and The Coach doing commentary on Raw.

axel84
10-06-2005, 11:01 PM
I like JR. I do. But I agree with some of you that say it may be time. To me he's been the voice of pro wrestling for a while. King is....well The King. And his act is tired. It seems the acid wit we've gotten from him all these years have died down and he's mellowed alot.

My brother told me they seat JR in between Coach and King because they really don't like each other and don't want anything to escalate. Is this true?

BTW

I don't know about you guys but I think Joe Rogan is the biggest douchebag on the planet. He has short cynical hotshit club guy written all over his receding hairline. He acts like such a prick with clout to the contestants. When he's not condescending and putting down the guys, he's trying to talk his way into favor with the girls. He works at NBC, a network lower than Fox right now. Get over yourself already.

axel84
10-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Hmmm..

Sean Mooney and The Coach doing commentary on Raw.

Is Mooney still with the company? It's weird because I just saw him on that Raw special on USA where he talks about some show moments and that was seriously the first time I've seen him on WWE since like 1988.

Since then, I've seen him as a news anchor in Boston. Not sure if he does that now. Anyone got any details?

KingofOldSchool
10-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I miss when Mooney would interview Rick Rude and Rude always interupts him by saying "QUIET MOONEY!"

Ah...classic.

den1982
10-07-2005, 02:22 AM
WTF

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 06:48 AM
My brother told me they seat JR in between Coach and King because they really don't like each other and don't want anything to escalate. Is this true?

Even if it were true that King and JR disliked one another, they're professionals. They would leave their personal issues behind the curtain and learn to work in cohesion. Look at Hardy and Edge - there is legitimate heat there but they are both professionals and work together for what is best for themselves and the company.

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 06:48 AM
WTF

WTF to you, sir

Shane Michaels
10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Bring back Tony Schivane!

:shifty:

:nono: No to Fat Tony...I couldn't stand him! "He just hit him with the brain splat!!!" "Actually, it was a suplex, Tony..." "oh sorry..just so much excitement her eon Nitro!"

In all honesty, I couldnt see RAW without JR either...if they just got back to basics with King and JR...let king do his funny stuff and be the heel and let JR be the play by play man, they would be fine!

CSL
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
:nono: No to Fat Tony...I couldn't stand him! "He just hit him with the brain splat!!!" "Actually, it was a suplex, Tony..." "oh sorry..just so much excitement her eon Nitro!"

<font color=white>To be fair, I never thought Schiavone's commentary was too bad and sometimes, he could be very good</font>

owenbrown
10-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I say get rid of the entire RAW broadcast team, and replace them with Steve Austin, Nick Diamond and Johnny Gomez :y:

and bring Mills Lane to be the ref for every match :y:

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Mills Lane and Peluigi Collina... never in the same room at the same time

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40323000/jpg/_40323485_collina203x270.jpg

CSL
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM

<font color=white>:yes: </font>

Jonster
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Just got to find a photo of Colllina now to compare.

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 11:26 AM
:lol:

BlackDawn2024
10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
<font color=white>nobody does the 'emotional, we're going off air, Jesus Christ has just resurrected in the ring' hyperbole quite like Mr. Ross. Nobody.</font>

:y: :yes:

.44 Magdalene
10-08-2005, 04:41 PM
No more JR...no more JR...no more JR...

I NEED A TOWEL.

Mr. Nerfect
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Apparently Mike Goldberg doesn't know much about wrestling. This could be a problem, because he's you know...gotta call the action. Give him some tapes to watch, and make sure he is committed (anyone could commit for the money they're offering him) and hae him learn ASAP.

I hope to God they have him come out to Bill Goldberg's entrance. That would be all kinds of awesome.

I liked JR, but it is time for him to move on, and maybe come back for some special occasions (RAW in Oklahoma, WrestleManias for example). I just hope that Mike Goldberg comes in with personality, and has good chemistry with Kign and Coach (they aren't the strongest commentators to be paired with). Maybe they should trade Jerry Lawler for Tazz?

Anyway, I just hope this move works out for the WWE.

Pinnacle Charisma
10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
I hope if JR get fired from Raw then he goes to SD instead of Cole/

Skippord
10-09-2005, 04:48 AM
RVD on commentary would be gold that ring isnt made of pot brownies Bahgawd

Axl
10-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Just get rid of Coach and go back to the good old (not so long ago) days of Good ol' JR and Lawler I say...classic. Either that or get Randy Savage back on the commentary seat.

Drakul
10-09-2005, 08:25 AM
well does anyone remember a few months back WWE was advertising for new commentators during RAW?

Fubar28
10-09-2005, 09:25 AM
If they got rid of Jr & not king i wouldn't be happy. Jr doesn't bother/annoy me like King does.

mrslackalack
10-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Maybe J.R and King will annouce PPV'S and have Mike Goldberg and Coach do RAW.

Sepholio
10-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Meltzer is reporting that Goldberg turned down WWE and is staying with UFC. Maybe Joey Styles can replace JR ^_^