PDA

View Full Version : Ha! If they get rid of Ross, a member of the WWE team might announce UFC

Dave Youell
10-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Joey Styles recently thickened the plot regarding the situation with Jim Ross being removed from the RAW announce team on his website, 1Wrestling.com The following contains possible spoilers for this Monday's RAW, so do not continue reading if you don't want to be spoiled.

It was previously reported that Vince McMahon will be 'firing' someone on RAW, which is believed to be none other than Jim Ross. Who is rumored to be J.R.'s replacement? Ultimate Fighting Championship announcer Mike Goldberg. Mike has yet to sign the contract, but he will likely do so over the weekend and could be on WWE TV as early as this Monday's RAW.

It's also rumored that Jerry Lawler will be removed as well, making the new announce team Jonothan Coachman and Mike Goldberg. Lawler and Ross are likely going to be announcing for WWE's online TV shows on their website. You can expect WWE to be pushing their WWE.com shows very hard, as they will be selling advertising during those shows themselves.

Joey Styles also revealed in his 1Wrestling.com audio update that if Mike Goldberg accepts WWE's offer, which he very likely will, that will leave a lead play by play announcing spot in UFC open for their Pay Per Views. Styles also revealed that his WWE contract does not prohibit him from calling mixed martial arts events, it only prohibits him from doing other pro wrestling events. This means that former voice of ECW Joey Styles might be the new voice of UFC. He has expressed serious interest in the position, and might just end up being the guy calling the action at the UFC 56 PPV.

So, by WWE removing Jim Ross from the RAW announce team and replacing him with UFC announcer Mike Goldberg, they are inadvertently allowing Joey Styles, who is under WWE contract, to announce for the very product that Spike TV is using against WWE RAW on USA Network.

Keep in mind that the so called Monday Night War is not as much of a UFC/WWE thing, as it is a Spike TV/WWE thing.

Whether WWE will attempt some sort of legal action or if they will continue to state that mixed martial arts poses no threat to them is unknown. However, it is likely that there will be quite a few angry phone calls made from the WWE offices if everything goes down like it looks to be as of press time.

----------------------

Oh the irony!

Seriously though, everyone knows Styles should be doing the play by play on Raw

RP
10-07-2005, 05:29 AM
I dont care.

Pinnacle Charisma
10-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Care Factor Zero

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow. Styles certainly knows how to piss people off. He's basically shat on the WWE for the better part of four years since ECW died, has only just signed a contract and now wants to exploit a loophole in his deal to work for the 'competition' (which as much as Vince wouldn't like to admit, it is indeed a sort of competition). What a Jackass

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 06:41 AM
I dont care.

Care Factor Zero

Why? This is the biggest news on the entire forum, if not the whole industry at the moment. It shows the WWE are making conscious steps to change the image and direction of its flagship show and trying to win the attention of you people back. This could be the start of a new era in the WWE.

Pinnacle Charisma
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
This could be the start of a new era in the WWE.

Wasn't the the start of the Matt Hardy-Edge feud meant to be the start of a new "shoot" era.

Wasn't WM20's catchpharse "It all begins....again" meant to signal a new era in the WWE with more technical wrestling with Eddie and Benoit champs?

Everytime the WWE makes a change that looks like they are heading in a new direction they ever back out or serve us more of the crap that has made the wwe stuck in Mediocrity for the last few years.

Bubs
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
The only thing that comes to mind Pinnacle is that Triple H was there to hold everyone back.

TerranRich
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Styles also revealed that his WWE contract does not prohibit him...
WTF? He's still under contract?

He doesn't DO anything, does he??

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Wasn't the the start of the Matt Hardy-Edge feud meant to be the start of a new "shoot" era.

Right, because worked-shoots had never ever been done in wrestling before. Besides, I wouldn't call that a new era. The attitude era was significant because everything changed - the gimmicks, the characters, the look of the ring and the arena, even the wrestling style. It'd be more appropriate to call the 'work-shoot' thing a movement.

Wasn't WM20's catchpharse "It all begins....again" meant to signal a new era in the WWE with more technical wrestling with Eddie and Benoit champs?

I think that was just a catchphrase, and I think the choice of Eddie and Benoit was just co-incidental. I certainly didn't get the impression that this was a new era.

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
WTF? He's still under contract?

I didn't say that, Youelly did. :wtf:

But anyway, yeh, I think he's under contract to do DVD releases.

Pepsi Man
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Wow. Styles certainly knows how to piss people off. He's basically shat on the WWE for the better part of four years since ECW died, has only just signed a contract and now wants to exploit a loophole in his deal to work for the 'competition' (which as much as Vince wouldn't like to admit, it is indeed a sort of competition). What a Jackass
Dude, after he signed a NON-exclusive, PART TIME deal to announce ECW branded events and has been sitting on his ass at home, the fucker was prevented from calling the action on his own fucking Pay-Per-View via contractual loophole. I'm behind Joey if he turns the tables.

Chavo Classic
10-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Pepsi Man now owns Chavo

Morgan
10-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I keep imagining Coach and Bill Goldberg.....

Anyway, what's this Mike Goldberg like? I read he doesn't know anything about pro-wrestling.

Dave Youell
10-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I didn't say that, Youelly did. :wtf:

But anyway, yeh, I think he's under contract to do DVD releases.
Ok first of all, never call me Youelly again! :foc:

And yeah, he has a DVD contract for future ECW releases

Innovator
10-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Actually I think Styles would do a goob job as an UFC commentator. He knows moves pretty well and can sell when something badass is going on.

*Arlovski with a right cross to the dome*

Styles: OH MY GOD!

Jordan
10-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Syles in UFC would rock, and Ross and King off Raw would be fresh.

loopydate
10-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Anyway, what's this Mike Goldberg like? I read he doesn't know anything about pro-wrestling.

Which makes him different from JR why? :p

McLegend
10-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Which makes him different from JR why? :p
Come on Loopy JR has a great mind for Pro wrestling.

Just look at The Ross Report. It is the best wrestling related report on the internet.

Nervous Ferret
10-07-2005, 05:18 PM
LOL~@!!#OIu123y12ouip`1!~~~!!!

KayfabeMan
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
If there is a new "era", it should be called:

The Era of Suck :y:

or some such similar shit.

Impact!
10-07-2005, 08:02 PM
I ws thinking about this just before and it does make sense.

Austin attacks Mcmahon
Mcmahon says someone will be fired
Jim Ross is a good friend of Austin

Does make sense for once, *insert how WWE cannot make sense comment here*

Dellaspro
10-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I ws thinking about this just before and it does make sense.

Austin attacks Mcmahon
Mcmahon says someone will be fired
Jim Ross is a good friend of Austin

Does make sense for once, *insert how WWE cannot make sense comment here*

Didn't Bischoff once fire Jim Ross b/c he was friends with Austin? :p

The One
10-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Joey Styles in UFC. :drool: Styles is BY FAR my favorite announcer in any industry. While we are at it, Mike Goldberg is a god announcer and his work in UFC has been quite good. I look forward to seeing him replace Ross. Now as for keeping Coach on....ewwwwww.....no. I hate Coach. (Because I am a racist) :shifty:

Pinnacle Charisma
10-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Right, because worked-shoots had never ever been done in wrestling before. Besides, I wouldn't call that a new era. The attitude era was significant because everything changed - the gimmicks, the characters, the look of the ring and the arena, even the wrestling style. It'd be more appropriate to call the 'work-shoot' thing a movement..

Its of course a difference of interpretation by two different fans but I like many offers thought this was going to be a start of a new era. If the ratings increased and the ppv buyrates improved instead of slightly decreasing or staying the same during Eddie and Benoit’s title run we may be today watching a vastly different product. But of course WWE didn’t stick to their guns and gave us the same old stuff.

I think that was just a catchphrase, and I think the choice of Eddie and Benoit was just co-incidental. I certainly didn't get the impression that this was a new era.

Its of course a difference of interpretation by two different fans but I like many offers thought this was going to be a start of a new era. If the ratings increased and the ppv buyrates improved instead of slightly decreasing or staying the same during Eddie and Benoit’s title run we may be today watching a vastly different product. But of course WWE didn’t stick to their guns and gave us the same old stuff.

Chavo Classic
10-08-2005, 07:29 AM

Exactly that, WWE stuck to their guns. A new era wasn't advertised. One had to read into the championship situation and interpret that as a change in direction. If they had said 'hey guys, it's a new era... look at what we're doing differently' then yeh, it's a new era. Even if JR had said 'BAHGAWD! Pure wrestling champions, this is surely a new BARBEQUE SAUCE era in the WWE' or something along those lines, it would've done. Before the event, there was even a lot of talk about a new WWE logo - didn't happen either