PDA

View Full Version : WOW - hitman was so convincing

The MAC
10-15-2005, 03:21 PM
I just watched a clip of bret after WM13. The one where he gave a 15 minute promo then tied shawn michaels in a knot around the ring post.

The things Bret said were so well put together - its a beautiful storyline with so much shoot in it. He had pure hatred in his eyes as Michaels sold his "career ending" knee injury.

I miss promo's like this! I mean even though he qs digging into the american fans -they shut up and listened! These days they just chant right thru the entire promo.

Vince was right when he said that Bret is the best storyteller of all the wrestlers that worked for him.

Bret is the Master of Storyline/shoot interview!

Rob
10-15-2005, 03:43 PM
That's why he is the best there is, the best there was and the best there'll ever will be.

loopydate
10-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I miss that kind of fan. I was watching Royal Rumble 1994 the other night and the crowd actually listened to every promo. I mean, Owen Hart pulled one of the all-time great heel turns that night, and it was made all the better by the fact that he got through his entire promo without any "WHAT?" or "YOU SUCK!" chants.

Corkscrewed
10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Just remember: America as a whole has become more stupid over the past decade.

loopydate
10-15-2005, 09:08 PM
I blame Austin.

<font color=black>Big shocker, huh?</font>

Jaton
10-15-2005, 09:42 PM
I blame Austin, The Rock, and the nWo.

KayfabeMan
10-16-2005, 02:58 AM
Bret Hart was a guy that demanded your attention and respect. Definitely a true Champion in every sense of the word. He brought class and meaning to the Title, and as you said, he made every fan pay attention to every word.

I think guys like Hart are out of their league today, as some of you have mentioned - the fans aren't as smart as they used to be - and I don't think they'd know quite how to react to someone like him today.

RemyRed
10-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Maybe it's not that the fans have gotten dumb, but that the kayfabe has been broken. I mean back then it seemed a lot realer.

RP
10-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I miss that kind of fan. I was watching Royal Rumble 1994 the other night and the crowd actually listened to every promo. I mean, Owen Hart pulled one of the all-time great heel turns that night, and it was made all the better by the fact that he got through his entire promo without any "WHAT?" or "YOU SUCK!" chants.

No doubt. Owens turn was amazing. One of the great moments in wrestling history if it werent for such shitty ratings around that time. No one was really watching. The Undertaker getting beat in the buried alive ( or was it casket? ) match and then showing up on the titon tron and shit, at the time creeped me out.

Mr. JL
10-16-2005, 03:22 AM
^^
This is pretty sad that guys like Bret Hart are out of thier league, as you say.

I remember as a kid I was a huge Bret Hart fan. I believed everything he did in the ring and believed every storyline he was involved in. I was the ultimate Bret Hart fan.
---
Now, today I find it difficult to even watch any of Bret Hart's matches. The reasoning for this, I believe is because when I do watch his old matches, I realize how no other wrestler currently today can capture my attention and imagination to the extent that Bret did.

Funky Fly
10-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Maybe it's not that the fans have gotten dumb, but that the kayfabe has been broken. I mean back then it seemed a lot realer.
It's a combo of the 2. I was at a house show in February, and I heard a lot of mark-who-thinks-he is-a-smark talk. You know, marks who are like "teh Batista is grayt, I readed on teh internet dat he and Goldberg and Brock Lesnar will maek a new Evolushun and beat up teh HHHH". That or knowledgeable guys who have a waning interest in wrestling, but came because it's the first WWE show here in like 3 years.

Hitman84
10-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I agree with a lot of this. Bret Hart, and indeed all of the Hart Foundation in 1997, were great in the ring and on the mic. I mean, Bret, Owen and Davey were, in my opinion, part of a group of five wrestlers who can put a match together and make you believe that the fight is real. In doing so, not only could they put themselves over, but also their opponent, whose skills in the ring were more often than not mediocre at best. The other two I'm thinking of are Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle.

But I digress...

1997 maked the end of the 'New Generation', so up until the Screwjob the fans would sit still and pay attention when a wrestler cut a promo. After the Screwjob came the Attitude Era, which wasn't bad - some of the greatest storylines came out of the Attitude Era - but it also meant that wrestlers couldn't cut believable promos, nor could they put on believable matches which lasted 20+ minutes and still had you on the edge of your seat.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the Attitude Era and today's wrestling are good - as this is how the business has evolved - but nothing beats the pre-Screwjob stuff for the reasons given by me and by almost everyone else in the thread. Bret Hart was the greatest wrestling storyteller of all time and I just think it's a shame that his career had to end the way it did.

The MAC
10-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Even though we know its fake just watch the hitman throw a few punches..man they look real!! I guess shawn Michaels was RIGHT about bret in one way when he said "you really believe this is all yours".

BRET VS DIESEL Survivor series
========================
Bret brought out the best in everyone he wrestled. He made Kevin Nash look like a real worker at survivor series - remember when he tied Nash to one corner and then beat that leg of his ? Or how bout that big spot where he went thru the table..I think it was the first time I really saw someone go thru a table in wrestling- of course its been so over used since..

by the way BRET HART originated the ladder match in wwe ..not shawn michaels as wwe would have you believe

Bret Hart may have been the most proffessional wrestler to ever grace the ring!

St. Jimmy
10-16-2005, 12:07 PM
if by professional you mean shooting on people, yes.
i like bret and all, but he left the WWF at the right time,
he didn't belong in the post-97' attitude era,
he was too "old school" for it.
he was too into the face's are good,
and heel's are bad politics,
when we all know he would of been an awesome tweener.

*watches out for flair for using "insider" terms*

KayfabeMan
10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Bret Hart may have been the best professional wrestler to ever grace the ring!

:y:

Fixed.

KayfabeMan
10-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Had he stayed around, he would've technically been the Steve Corino of the WWF; defending the old-school wrestling against today's mediocre product. I think the reason that he wouldn't have fit in is because he was a WRESTLER, and the "Attitude Era" focused more on guys like The Rock, HHH, Steve Austin, etc. - and they weren't doing too much wrestling.

McLegend
10-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Bret was great no doubt and his anit-america promo after WM13 is one of the greatest promos ever to one of the greatest heel turns ever.

Still though HBK is better then Bret

loopydate
10-16-2005, 01:09 PM
I agree. But that doesn't take anything away from how fantastic Bret was. IMO, the top three I've ever seen are (in order) Flair, Michaels, and Hart.

The MAC
10-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Michaels has a natural ..shal we say " asshole-ness" about him that makes him a great heel. I like it when he was the cocky heel way before his DX role- like when he challenged Diesel for the world title and came out with Jenny MacCarthy .

But brets promo's were amazing - especially in the hart foundation.

Rob
10-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Had he stayed around, he would've technically been the Steve Corino of the WWF; defending the old-school wrestling against today's mediocre product. I think the reason that he wouldn't have fit in is because he was a WRESTLER, and the "Attitude Era" focused more on guys like The Rock, HHH, Steve Austin, etc. - and they weren't doing too much wrestling.

Seriously, do you know you just compared Bret Hart to Steve Corino?

KayfabeMan
10-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Not wrestling wise, obviously, just the character idea.

Rob
10-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah but still. Corino is a walking joke.

Loose Cannon
10-16-2005, 06:05 PM
yea, that segment was a great one. BTW, if anybody cares to upload that whole segment, if they have it, I would appreciate it.

Zen v.W.o.
10-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Will do, LC.. And Bret is the man.:y:

Loose Cannon
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
:D Can't wait. Haven't seen the full or even half full version since it aired

Zen v.W.o.
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Update: 59 percent completed. Will be up in approx 8 minutes. I'll post it in here and in the vid thread.

Zen v.W.o.
10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it said it had been upped by someone else already after it got done, so here ya go:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4531819/Bret_Hart_HBK_post_WM13_Segment.wmv.html