PDA

View Full Version : ASK PERCY PRINGLE - 10/19/2005

Sadistic
10-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Hello again, my PWInsider friends! Got a bunch of questions this week, so we will just get right down to it. I appreciate all of the email and questions. You may send your inquiry to me for next week’s column at: AskPercy@PercyPringle.com. Don’t forget my website at: PercyPringle.com.

During the Inferno match, did the Undertaker hit you over the head with a regular bass drum or was that one, a special one? Did you blade or were you cut when you got hit? Who's decision was it to have you hit by the Undertaker... yours, his or the creative team?

It was a regular drum. No, I didn’t blade. There was a screw, bolt, or something of the sort sticking out that got me “the hard way.” I don’t remember whose idea it was, but it was fine by me.

Who would you say are the greatest managers in wrestling history? Off the top of my head I'd name Bobby Heenan, Lou Albano, Freddy Blassie, and you, but there are definitely more.

From my heart, I am not even in the class of the names you mentioned. My personal favorites have always been Bobby Heenan and Jim Cornette. However, since I’ve read J.J. Dillon’s new book, I have a new respect for him.

Many years ago (probably some time between ‘91 and ‘94) at a house show at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, they had a Paul Bearer sound-a-like contest during intermission that my Dad and me thought was absolutely hilarious. They had fans coming into the ring and doing their impressions on the mic. My question is do you remember it, and if so, what was your take on it? Also, was this something done around the house show loop or just a one-night thing? I don't remember ever seeing it other than the one show.

Oh yes, I remember those contests. We had “look alike” events as well. Can you imagine that, somebody looking like me? Bless their hearts. Those were some fun times. We had them in arenas all over the world.

I am curious to know something concerning the Undertaker and Randy Orton feud. A few weeks they were playing mind games with each other. There was an episode where Undertaker saw himself in the casket. Can you tell me how can that can be done, because the body in casket looked absolutely real.

I wasn’t there, but I saw it on television just like you did. However, I can speak with a bit of authority here because I have been a part of those special effects in the past. The body you saw in the casket was definitely the “real” Undertaker. In the past, a stunt double dressed as ‘Taker would be in the casket during the match. When it came time for the casket to be opened, they would edit in a pre-tape into the live show of the real UT that was done at an earlier time. The fans in the area saw the double; those at home got the real deal. It was great television.

Can you please share your opinion about the "Jim Ross-Situation"? I'm watching since 1996 and I'm very angry and sad.

Don’t be angry, or sad. Just be concerned for good ‘ol J.R.’s health at this time, as he underwent abdominal surgery this week. The entire deal was a made for television episode. I think the world of Jim, and wish him the very best with his recovery.

I was wondering where was the segment filmed where you and the Undertaker tried to embalm an unconscious Steve Austin, only to be stopped by Kane?

We filmed that at a legit Funeral Home in Columbus, Ohio. Some fans hated those mortuary vignettes, but I loved them for obvious reasons.

I have a question about one of the Undertaker's tattoos that I was wondering if you could answer. A few times when he would be in street clothes, or when he'd pulled the straps of his singlet down, I noticed he has a tattoo across his stomach. It looks like three letters. I've always wondered what it said.

The tattoo says “B.S.K.” Which stands for “Bone Street Krewe.” It was a private thing between those of us that ran with ‘Taker back during the clique days.

What were your thoughts on the whole "being in a cage way above the ring" deal from Survivor Series 1996? What was going through your mind, because I know it would've scared me to death.

I loved it. Mainly because it was in Madison Square Gardens, what a thrill it was to hang from that historic ceiling. I was never concerned about my safety, as the company always kept my security first in mind during those stunts.

I just wanted to know what ever happened to Eric Embry?

Eric retired from the ring several years ago flowing a car, eighteen-wheeler collision. He is back in his home State of Kentucky. We exchange emails every now and then. He is doing well.

Has either Undertaker or Kane ever given you the tombstone? If so, was it televised?

No, I was never on the receiving end of a tombstone piledriver. Lucky me… huh?

Disturbed316
10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I have a question about one of the Undertaker's tattoos that I was wondering if you could answer. A few times when he would be in street clothes, or when he'd pulled the straps of his singlet down, I noticed he has a tattoo across his stomach. It looks like three letters. I've always wondered what it said.

The tattoo says “B.S.K.” Which stands for “Bone Street Krewe.” It was a private thing between those of us that ran with ‘Taker back during the clique days.

Sounds like the anti-clique to me.

Rob
10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
What were your thoughts on the whole "being in a cage way above the ring" deal from Survivor Series 1996? What was going through your mind, because I know it would've scared me to death.

I loved it. Mainly because it was in Madison Square Gardens, what a thrill it was to hang from that historic ceiling. I was never concerned about my safety, as the company always kept my security first in mind during those stunts.

Just like they were concerned for Owen Hart I suppose.

KayfabeMan
10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
I was thinking that same thing Rob.

CharismaInjection
10-20-2005, 03:46 PM
I am curious to know something concerning the Undertaker and Randy Orton feud. A few weeks they were playing mind games with each other. There was an episode where Undertaker saw himself in the casket. Can you tell me how can that can be done, because the body in casket looked absolutely real.

I wasn’t there, but I saw it on television just like you did. However, I can speak with a bit of authority here because I have been a part of those special effects in the past. The body you saw in the casket was definitely the “real” Undertaker. In the past, a stunt double dressed as ‘Taker would be in the casket during the match. When it came time for the casket to be opened, they would edit in a pre-tape into the live show of the real UT that was done at an earlier time. The fans in the area saw the double; those at home got the real deal. It was great television.

:-\ I'm not sure if I agree with that. I was there at the tapings and I was pretty close, it definately looked like real to me, I thought it was a dummy?

Xero
10-20-2005, 04:03 PM
:-\ I'm not sure if I agree with that. I was there at the tapings and I was pretty close, it definately looked like real to me, I thought it was a dummy?
It could have been someone dressed very similar to them in the arena. If you notice, they never zoom in on them, it's always cut to the "mirror images". Also, when they first did it with Taker/Orton, I don't think that the TV ever saw the inside of the casket from afar, as the camera was on the lid's side.

If they were mannequins (I don't believe they are), they wasted realism on the way they cut to the shots. It was very unlike normal WWE editing.

Xero
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Good Lord... I've been watching WWE so long that I can tell "normal" WWE editing from other editing.

CharismaInjection
10-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Well it had me fooled.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Just like they were concerned for Owen Hart I suppose.

I was thinking more or less the same thing, except it was more mean to the WWE. "I guess they just liked him more than Owen."

Sarcastically, of course, because I don't believe they know of the word "safety" in this context.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 04:47 PM

He said in the past they did this. It could have been a dummy, but the poor editing makes it pretty obvious he's close to the truth.