PDA

View Full Version : Game/Real World similarities.

Drakul
10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Ok, Have you ever played a game and thought something looked familar and then realised it looks familiar because its a part of your town or a nearby town?
For example:

I live in Dundee which is in an area called Tayside. Now play GTA:SA and theres an area called Bayside. Theres also an area with a factory here called Verdant Works and San Andreas has Verdant Bluffs.That might not be ground breaking but look at other things.
We here have a radio station called Wave 102 and GTA3 had Wave 103.
In GTA2 The Loonies Gang had an HQ in "SunnySide". SunnySide is a mental institute type place not far from here.
There are two Bridges in San Andreas linking San Fiero with the Badlands and it looks like the Forth Bridge and the Forth Rail Bridge.
http://www.scotland-flavour.co.uk/gallery/fife/forth_bridge_5.jpg
looks like Gant Bridge in San Andreas.
http://images.scotsman.com/2005/02/19/tm1902bridgeb.jpg
Looks like Kincaid Bridge in San Andreas.

Well thats just an example. I'm sure if I drove around GTA games taking notes I'd possibley get alot more little things like that (such as a barber shop in San Andreas called "Gay Gordos" which is a take on Gay Gordons which is a Scottish dance, I believe). This is all because the guy that created the GTA series is from here and actually attended my former school.
Rockstar North was DMA which I always assumed meant Dundee Modern Arts.They where based here but have since moved/expanded to Edinburgh and New York but I think the origonal place is still open and running.

So does anyone here notice anything like I just said? Not just in GTA but in any game. Before anyone trys it, it doesnt count if its actually based in the town. So don't say that you see a place that looks like The Empire State Building in Spiderman 2.

FourFifty
10-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I can't recall the name of the game, but it's a gta/true crimes/mafia rip off that takes place in London. I heard that locals can find their way around by memory.

Jonster
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
"The Getaway"

Disturbed316
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Considering alot of GTA was made in the Scotland offices of Rockstar, I'm not that suprised.

Team Sheep
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah, if you live in London, go play The Getaway, Black Monday and you'll see quite a few. :shifty:

Mike the Metal Ed
10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Filbert Street was in Actua Soccer 3. :cool: