PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson hails Van Nistelrooy

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says striker Ruud van Nistelrooy is getting even better.

The Dutchman scored United's first goal in Tuesday's 2-0 Champions League win over Stuttgart to equal Denis Law's record of 28 European goals for the club.

And Ferguson enthused: "It's a phenomenal record and he is a phenomenal player.

"Ruud is getting better and he's maturing. He works seriously at his football and you are seeing a more complete and rounded player than last year."

Van Nistelrooy also set up Ryan Giggs for United's second against Stuttgart as the Premiership giants extended their unbeaten run at home to 16 Champions League games.

Van Nistelrooy is a complete player - we don't have anyone in our team like that

"It was important from one aspect to keep our home record going. Our home record has been outstanding," said Ferguson, whose team will avoid any of the other group winners when the draw for the last 16 is made on Friday.

"It may also get us an easier type draw, but you can't get a much easier draw as the second-placed teams are very formidable.

"Stuttgart are a good team and that says a lot for Manchester United to score two goals against them. Given their record this season we are very pleased about that."

The match was also notable for the return of Paul Scholes, who made his first start since recovering from a groin injury.

"When you see some of the things he did, the passes, his composure and vision, it reminds you what we have missed over the past seven weeks," Ferguson said.

"He's a great player and great players are always missed."

Stuttgart coach Felix Magath has tipped United to lift the Champions League in May, particularly if Van Nistelrooy maintains his present form.

"Van Nistelrooy is a complete player. He can do absolutely everything; head, score, control the ball under pressure, create chances for others," said Magath.

"He is fantastic and we don't have anyone in our team like that.

"If you look at people like him and Ryan Giggs, they really make a big difference to Manchester United.

"That is why I think it is possible they could go right to the end of the competition."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU ALL HAIL RVN AS WELL

Mr. Monday Morning
12-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Henry > Van Nistelrooy

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Henry > Van Nistelrooy

Matter of opinion,

Stats may tell a different story

Cactus Sid
12-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Matter of opinion,

Stats may tell a different story

How can you honestly believe that Van Nistelrooy is better than Thierry Henry

The Mask
12-10-2003, 11:38 AM
They're different players relaly. RVN is an all out striker.

It'd be awesome to have Henry playing for Utd as well.

Man, I hope we do win the CL again. this time I'll be old enough to go out and get toasted after the fact. Although I did last time too :love:

The Mask
12-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Now RVN and Cantona in the same team. That'd have made me happy :)

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-10-2003, 11:41 AM
How can you honestly believe that Van Nistelrooy is better than Thierry Henry

Didn't say i believed it but as i said that stats tell their own story

Cactus Sid
12-10-2003, 11:42 AM

To me this sounds like your saying he's better than Henry

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-10-2003, 11:45 AM
To me this sounds like your saying he's better than Henry

STATS DON'T LIE :mad:

But then i don't publish the stats do i

Mr. Monday Morning
12-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Here's a stat for you:

Henry is in the running for World Player of the Year.

van Nistelrooy isn't.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Here's a stat for you:

van Nistelrooy isn't.

Again though, to be nominated it is a matter of opinion.

Not a statistical thing

Mr. Monday Morning
12-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Again though, to be nominated it is a matter of opinion.

Not a statistical thing

Considering it's voted for by people who are actually, you know, involved in the game at a professional level, I'd say it was a pretty good indicator of who the better player is.

I'm sure he got all his votes cause of his great Renault ads :roll:

Dazz
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Here's a stat for you:

van Nistelrooy isn't.

Great Point

And RvN is still overrated, everyone does the work for him, I said it before, I'll say it again, he relies on everyone else, he can't do anything for himself.

The Mask
12-10-2003, 12:48 PM
everyone else at a professional level seems to do a good job of kissing Ruud's arse too, but nobody here takes much notice of that :p

Wengerland
12-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Henry is made to look better as he has to create a lot of his own chances aswell as assist a few goals.

But RvN has players around him who will mainly create for him,so he therefore rarely needs to.He can hardly be called overrated for scoring a load of goals,and if its based on him not working for the majority then you may aswell say (almost) every 'world class' forward in the world is overrated.

Fact is,they both do well for their clubs and do what is asked of them.

Avenger
12-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Here's a stat for you:

van Nistelrooy isn't.that's out of 3 players.

how do you know Ruud isn't 4th in contention. I'm not saying he is. but you can't say he is bad just because he ain't nominated for player of the year.

Avenger
12-10-2003, 01:04 PM
IMO Henry is a skillsman and scores greater more spectacular goals

BUT

if you're a team who desperately needs goals, would you have RVN or TH?

Mr. Monday Morning
12-10-2003, 01:24 PM
that's out of 3 players.

how do you know Ruud isn't 4th in contention. I'm not saying he is. but you can't say he is bad just because he ain't nominated for player of the year.

There is no 4th, there is just the 3 best in the world. Even if he was 4th that would still put Henry ahead of him regardless of the result.

The Duck
12-10-2003, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't swap Ruud for any other striker in the world.

The guy is getting better and better, as his assist for Giggsy's goal last night proved. The guy is pure class as his record in the Champions League tells you. 51 goals in his last 52 games at Old Trafford and 26 goals in 28 Champ's League appearances for us - the guy is pure quality and will become a United legend.

*goes off to kiss Ruud poster*

DaveWadding
12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I heard he's pretty proficient at the diving technique.

The Mask
12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Wadding, hating on cristina scabbia is one thing, but if you hate on my boy Ruud too I swear I will knife you :mad:

Dazz
12-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Wadding, hating on cristina scabbia is one thing, but if you hate on my boy Ruud too I swear I will knife you :mad:

For once I agree with Wadding, he speaks the truth. Would you knife me if you saw me in the streets with my Caution:Nistelrooy Tee-shirt on.

Ogen
12-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Henry is much better. Last season if my facts are right here and I think they are RVN did of course score more but Henry almost kept up on him with goals while having the most assists in the premiership which is just outstanding.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-11-2003, 03:33 AM
Henry and Van nistelrooy are always continually linked with moves away from their respective clubs.

Can't Real Madrid just fu</>cking die.

Barcelona don't merit a mention in their move for Henry because even i'd rather stay at arsenal and play in good matches than linger in la liga mid table