PDA

View Full Version : Van de Velde goes for Women's British Open

The Gooch
10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/golf/news_story.asp?id=141093

SOTOGRANDE, Spain (AP) - Jean van de Velde, the Frenchman who lost the British Open six years ago on the final hole, says he will attempt to enter next year's women's British Open.

Van de Velde became famous in the 1999 British Open when he led by three strokes going into the 72nd hole, and wound up losing the title in a playoff.

Van de Velde, 39, said he was upset with a recent policy set by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, which will allow women to qualify for next year's British Open.

"My whole point is where do we draw the line," Van de Velde said Thursday, after shooting a 7-over 78 in the first round of the Volvo Masters.

Van de Velde called the rule change "a farce."

"If we accept that women can enter our tournaments, then it applies that men can play with women," he said.

The Frenchman said he would get an application and attempt to qualify.

"I'll even wear a kilt and shave my legs," he said.

Next year's women's British Open is set for Aug. 3-6 at Royal Lytham. The event is run by the Ladies' Golf Union, which established a gender policy this year.

The policy says: "It shall be a condition of any competition organized by the Ladies' Golf Union that players must be of the female gender."

Andy Salmon, chief executive officer of the LGU, said Thursday there was no plan to change the rule.

"We will include the same conditions on next year's entry form," he said. "We will not be considering any change to this condition."

The LGU established a formal gender policy this season, which allowed players to compete who had sex-change operations to become females. The best know example was Danish-born Australian Mianne Bagger, who played some LGU events in 2005. Bagger was born a male.

Van de Velde hinted at legal action if he were not allowed to play.

"I just don't understand it, and if my application is not accepted I will definitely get advice and see how far it will go," he said.

"I am making a point. I'm not trying to take a sexist stance. I think there are much more important matters. I think our governing body should concentrate on the long putter, checking clubs. Things like that, not this."

Former Ryder Cup player Barry Lane suggested a change in the rules could end women's golf.

"Do they want 100 men trying to qualify? If they do there won't be any spots left for them (women)."
----------------------------------------------------------------
I get he is trying to make a point, but this is messed up. You're already remember for being one of the biggest fuck ups in Open history dude, do you really want to add this to the mix?