PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Smackdown!

King Jericho
10-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Man, after watching Smackdown last night, I simply had to post my comments on the show. Both good and bad things, but the majority of them are good.

We'll start with the bad as you'll read the good last, thus making a nicer end to the topic.

I think apart of the gross mis-underusing of Christian, which I'll get to in a sec, Smackdown is moving in totally the right direction, one of the only things making it weak in sections are the amount of Gimmicks there are on the show. I didn't really notice this until a friend of mine (Who doesn't much watch Wrestling anymore) pointed it out. There are good and bad gimmicks of course, bad being the Boogie Man, the re-incarnation of LOD and the Junior Division (Which could be a great idea) but I'd rather see Christian get pushed, as hes being grossly under-used, AS WE ALL KNOW; good gimmicks being The Mexicools and Simon Dean.
I think if a few of the gimmicks we're tonned down a bit then I would make for more believable viewing, which could lead to new viewers, and better ratings.

On to the good, otherwise we'll be here all day and no-one will read the topic. :roll:

This weeks Smackdown fucking ruled, without a doubt, The 5 man match with Christian, Rey, JBL, Hardy and dare I say it Bob Holly, was awesome, sure they stole the Superplex/Double Powerbomb thing for ROH/TNA but they hit some awesome spots. And it's great that Rey went over, allbeit going over on the GROSSLY UNDERUSED Christian (See where I'm going with this).
The Rest of the show was also packed, the Tag Team 4 way thing (Any Burchill time on TV is great news, and he actually got plenty of ring time) and the main event. Hey, ill join the band wagon and say Ken Kennedy rules, how could you not like him!

Other great things about Smackdown! (in list form lol)

Christian (although he's being grossly underused)
Ken Kennedy
The Ortons
Matt Hardy
Cruiserweights (More air time please)
Eddie Guerrero is THE MAN right now
Rey
etc etc etc....

But in general Friday night aint looking so bad for smackdown imo. Keep this up :y:

Morgan
10-29-2005, 08:36 AM
At the moment I think Smackdown is the superior brand. Or at the very least the more "complete" brand. Even though they may not have guys like HBK and Angle, I actually think the talent base on Smackdown is better too. You've got guys like Kennedy and Lashley who have shitloads of potential. Not to mention:
- They have a midcard that's been promoted heavily these past couple of months and is full of guys who are established former world champions or have been in and around the main event (Christian, Booker, Benoit).
-They have FIVE tag teams!, an actual division.
- A great main event storyline going, with Eddie's phony face turn.

It's a shame the cruiserweights are still fucked around, and in favour of the juniors, and the completely unforgivable mis-use/under-use of Christian, but Smackdown still looks to me to be better than Raw right now. So knock off the B-show shit!

6to1
10-29-2005, 10:06 AM
midget wrestling what the funk are you thinking vince, i liked the visit from piper and they let him win.

Ol Dirty Dastard
10-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Apparently Christian is grossly underused.

JH
10-29-2005, 10:43 AM
i personally think the juniors are funny and the backstage stuff with boogeyman scaring the shit out of long every week is pretty damn funny

ThruTheWire
10-29-2005, 10:48 AM
I didn't like the juniors, if they would have wrestled instead of run around the ring acting like jackasses with those buckets I would have liked it. There was 3 moves the whole match.

Someone1001
10-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Any brand that gives Simon Dean TV time is ok in my book. Though I wish he'd actually get to do something other than comedy on Smackdown. Like win a match.
Kennedy is a prospect for the future. He's drawn an amazing amount of heat for someone so new. He's a whole lot better than Cena in the ring and on the mic, that's for sure.
The Mexicools (Super Crazy and Psycosis at least) have been impressing me with their wrestling talents. Hopefully, a fued with MNM is in the cards. And speaking of tag teams, I hope Hedeinreich goes back to being a singles wrestler. I was just getting into him with that whole disasterpiece/arm pumping thing he was doing.
Chris Benoit and Christian need titles now. So does Regal, but I guess he just has to wait his turn for the tag titles.

CharismaInjection
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM
If Smackdown keeps up like this, it's gonna be 'officially' better than Raw in my book.

The Naitch
10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
fuck, shut up about Christian already

DominateR
10-29-2005, 05:18 PM
At first I thought the junior division was just away to make fun of the cruiserweight division, but then when I saw what they did to Simon Dean backstage, I couldn't quit laughing...it's about damn TIME Vince finally decided to start using the E and not just the two W's!

Funky Fly
10-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Fuck the Junior division. That was so crap.

dalegendkilla
10-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Let's look at Smackdown and Raw's matches the past two weeks:

Booker T def. Chris Benoit (new United States Champion)
Hardcore Holly def. Sylvan (Hardcore Match)
Lashley def. Vito
Matt Hardy def. Simon Dean
Rey Mysterio def. JBL (DQ)
World Heavyweight Champion Batista & Eddie Guerrero def. Randy Orton & Ken Kennedy (DQ)

THEN THE WEEK BEFORE:

Bobby Lashley def. Nunzio
United States Champion Chris Benoit def. Orlando Jordan
Super Crazy, Psicosis, & WWE Tag Team Champions L.O.D. def. William Regal, Paul Burchill, & MNM
Eddie Guerrero def. Randy Orton (DQ)
Booker T def. Rey Mysterio, JBL, and Christian (Fatal Four Way Match)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Show def. Edge (Taboo Tuesday main-event qualifier)
Shawn Michaels def. Carlito (Taboo Tuesday main-event qualifier)
Kane wins 18-man Battle Royal (Taboo Tuesday main-event qualifier)
Victoria, Torrie & Candice def. Trish, Ashley & Mickie James
THEN THE WEEK BEFORE:
Women's Champion Trish Stratus def. Victoria
Chris Masters def. Tajiri
Rob Conway def. Doink
Kurt Angle, Edge & Carlito def. WWE Champion John Cena, Big Show & Shawn Michaels

---------------------------------------------------

Which show has had better matches:

Smackdown for sure, Benoit V.S. Booker was a classic, Raw's Master's v.s. Tajiri can't compare.

Kane Knight
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
The Boogeyman's a riot. He's so horrible it's funny.