PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on The Rock vs. Austin pre-Wrestlemania X7

The Naitch
11-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Austin was the #1 guy, then he left around 1999.

Meanwhile Triple H was running the show as the # heel

The Rock stepped up as the #1 babyface at the time. His precense was at Austin's level

The most anitcipated match was Austin vs. The Rock, but it never happened for quite some time, but they teased it. Rikishi ran over Stone Cold and he did it for The Rock. Then at Wrestlemania 16, McMahon swerved The Rock to side with Triple H and Steph. At this time, at Backlash, Austin would bein The Rock's corner and at the end the two drank beers

As a Rock fan at the time, I was dying to see Austin vs. Rock, and anythingt at would hint at some sort of confrontation made me watch RAW and SD! every week. It was that good

Then, Austin wins the rumble. The Rock wins the WWF Championship from Angle at No Way Out. It's on

But...

I go on vacation for Christmas and I'm away from WWF television. No way to watch anything. Done. I missed out on one of the most aniticipated feuds of all time, only to read about the Wrestlemania X7 results on WWE.com and sure enough Austin wins

So what was the atmosphere like the day after No Way Out? How did watching WWF TV back then in early 2001 compare to watching it right now?

As a huge Rock fan, the next thing I looked forward too was his heel turn. But yeah, sure enough, I go on vacation AGAIN and miss out on Rock/Hogan II

:mad:

addy2hotty
11-16-2005, 06:19 AM
No Way Out was the PPV where Earl Hebner messed up the count during the Rock/Angle match, making Kurt look strong for kicking out of 2 rock-bottoms. Wasn't it? Was a great match.

The Rock vs Austin build-up going into WM17, is unparalleled in my experience as a build-up. It was almost a perfect feud. Except when Debra became the Rock's manager.

I remember the goosebumps when The Fink announced the match when I was at WM17. Just can't be repeated now. Cena vs Orton just wouldn't be the same.

RGWhat316
11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
It was really a hot feud. But I was pissed when Rock never really got his revenge on Austin afterwards. The night after WM, HHH joins with Austin and beat the crap out of Rock. So Rock goes off to movies, and when he came back, I thought we would have our rematch. But instead Booker T came out. Even though Rock technically got revenge at Survior Series, it wasn't one on one, so it didn't seem as special.

As far as the build-up to WM X-7, I think it was played out perfectly. They teased the friendly thing for a while. They worked as a tag team for a little while, but the tension was always there. Then on the last RAW before WM, Rock stunnered Austin, and it was on. Then, the last SmackDown, Austin wanted to have a beer with Rock, but they slammed the cans together in a not so friendly way, and it was on.

Favre4Ever
11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
The Rock and Angle had an awesome match at No Way Out, and it could have gone either way.

The storyline build for Rock/ Austin during the month before Wrestlemania was great. Austin's whole persona was that he "had to win" this match, and his career depended on it. There was always electricity between the two when they were close.

Its unfortunate that they tried to make it a little bit more personal by having Austins wife Debra be the Rocks manager; luckily, after it was over, they didn't reference it again.

The last show before WM 17, Rock and Austin were in the ring angrily slapping beers. They started to go at it, and Vince had everybody from the locker room come down and break it up because he didnt want his main event ruined.

The feel at WM 17's main event was amazing. Both men made it apparent that they had to win. The chants for Austin were blowing the roof off. And it was a great in-ring match too.

My favorite part was towards the end, when Austin was trying to put the Rock down; Austin hit him with the Rock Bottom and he got out of it, hit him with a chair and he got out of it, hit him with a stunner and he got out of it. In a fit of rage, he bashed the Rock non stop with a chair until he stayed down.

How do todays shows compare with 2001's? They don't. We have great personalities in wrestling today, and we've had some amazing matches, especially since Shawn Michaels returned......but the way its done doesn't feel right. The shows, the atmosphere, the storylines.....its really like they arent even trying anymore.

And, in all fairness, its impossible to top a show where Austin runs around hugging people.

addy2hotty
11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Then, the last SmackDown, Austin wanted to have a beer with Rock, but they slammed the cans together in a not so friendly way, and it was on.

That segment was gold.

Cool King
11-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Where do you go on vacation!?:wtf:

Everywhere in the world showed WWF at that time. I think some places don't care about The WWE anymore.:'(

Nervous Ferret
11-16-2005, 02:24 PM
go on vacation again. Maybe something good will happen

The One
11-16-2005, 02:44 PM
No Way Out was the PPV where Earl Hebner messed up the count during the Rock/Angle match, making Kurt look strong for kicking out of 2 rock-bottoms. Wasn't it? Was a great match.

The Rock vs Austin build-up going into WM17, is unparalleled in my experience as a build-up. It was almost a perfect feud. Except when Debra became the Rock's manager.

I remember the goosebumps when The Fink announced the match when I was at WM17. Just can't be repeated now. Cena vs Orton just wouldn't be the same.

You went to Mania X-Seven too? Fucking sweet man. I was there in the forth row. Honestly, one of the best nights of my life. (despite the fact I had the flu)

addy2hotty
11-16-2005, 02:48 PM
You went to Mania X-Seven too? Fucking sweet man. I was there in the forth row. Honestly, one of the best nights of my life. (despite the fact I had the flu)

I remember marking out like a little schoolkid when Edge did that spear off the ladder.

My my, how times have changed.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I seriously don't even remember anything that happened during that time.

However, I do remember Rock/Austin IC Belt feud. Classic.

redoneja
11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
The buildup was tremendous, as was the match. Plus I think it had possibly the greatest video package for a feud EVER.

PullMyFinger
11-16-2005, 03:36 PM
It was amazing, but NO WHERE NEAR Wrestlemania 15...that match up had the best build up ever.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2005, 03:39 PM
you'd have to make a great case to take down Hogan/Savage. That thing was built literally for a year.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2005, 03:41 PM
it's neck and neck though

The Greater Power
11-16-2005, 03:42 PM
redoneja, Totally agree, "My Way" seemed like a perfect song. When the song got a bit softer towards the end, I believe the video was playing the "beer part" when they were on Smackdown.

Just awesome stuff.

The One
11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
It was amazing, but NO WHERE NEAR Wrestlemania 15...that match up had the best build up ever.

I don't know...I would take the Rock/Austin build up of X-Seven over XV. I mean XV was great, but it just didn't seem personal. X-Seven was brillient. As far as Mania Matches, I think personally I would hand that to XIX. (Anyone else notice that unless something huge happens, XXI is going to break the every-other Mania Rock/Austin match spree)

Avenger
11-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I seriously don't even remember anything that happened during that time.

However, I do remember Rock/Austin IC Belt feud. Classic.AWESOME FEUD

One of the best, if not the best, IC title feuds

Set Austin up for main eventing perfectly

WWF at it's best

Sadistic
11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
The buildup was tremendous, as was the match. Plus I think it had possibly the greatest video package for a feud EVER.
The WWE's editing team is among the best in the world and I have to agree with that. That video pakage was amazing. I've watched that video package so many times.