PDA

View Full Version : Would Owen have 'made it'?

CSL
11-16-2005, 11:04 AM
<font color=white>Everytime a wrestler dies, I go into 'sad mode' (watching old matches, vignettes etc) and I came across clips from the Owen Memorial RAW and I got to thinking: Would Owen ever have been World champion? And would he have done a good job and become a bona fide main eventer?

I'd like to think yes. I believe he had all the tools and would have done a good job. However something tells me maybe he wouldn't have.

Opinions?</font>

NoRoolz
11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
I think he would have. He'd have been upper midcarder for another year or so then he'd finally win it on the big stage (WM), kinda like a Benoit story.

R.I.P Owen.

Xero
11-16-2005, 11:29 AM
I have a feeling that had he lived, he would have AT LEAST got the title out of respect like Benoit.

Who knows, if he had gone on to have "The Game" gimmick as rumored, he may have been where Triple H was in 2000 or so. Triple H won his first world title in August of '99.

Avenger
11-16-2005, 11:37 AM
This discussion has been had too many times before.

Owen certainly would have won the WWE title if events had conspired his way. However would WWE have ever put the title on another Hart? And don't forget at the time of his untimely passing WWE had stuck him with that awful Blue Blazer gimmick.

He was so much more, he deserved the title.

RIP OH We will always love you

Xero
11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
This discussion has been had too many times before.

Owen certainly would have won the WWE title if events had conspired his way. However would WWE have ever put the title on another Hart? And don't forget at the time of his untimely passing WWE had stuck him with that awful Blue Blazer gimmick.

He was so much more, he deserved the title.

RIP OH We will always love you
Owen was due to win the IC title that night and get rid of the Blue Blazer gimmick. He was then rumored to go on to "The Game" gimmick, whether it would have been Triple H's version or not cannot be said, but the rumors are that he was supposed to go onto the main event with "The Game" nickname.

McLegend
11-16-2005, 11:54 AM
The Game gimmick was a complete accident. Pretty sure Owen wasn't going to get that.

Xero
11-16-2005, 11:58 AM
That's what I've been hearing for the past few years. :-\

The Gooch
11-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Personally I thought they missed the boat on Owen. I think Bad Owen taking the belt from Bret would have been the best time to give him the belt as he was getting insane heat at the time.

After Bret left for WCW and all the shit that went with his leaving I'm not sure if Owen had a lot of support for a main event run. He didn't come across as the "political" type from what I read.

Joey Slugs
11-16-2005, 12:57 PM
That's what I've been hearing for the past few years. :-\

I've heard the same thing actually. "The Game" gimmick was Owen's "pat on the back" for going through with the blue blazer thing as long as he did.

Kane Knight
11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't think he would have. Honestly, they would have blown it with them.

The One
11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh god. Ok. This is quite possibly the second most talked about topic in forum history (after Montreal...and maybe Best Finisher). No. Ok. Owen Hart would not have won the World Title. First off, Owen didn't have much time left on his contract. It was widely known that Owen really didn't want to resign a contract becuase he was growing tired of wrestling and didn't like the direction it was headed in. He was a very smart man when it came to money and saved wisely and invested even better. He was supposed to run out the rest of his career with the Blue Blazer gimmick, and occasionally teaming with Jarrett once and again. Owen never really had an ambition to be World Champion, nor was he honestly even very close to it. The closest he came was a "Dusty Finish" where he won the Title at a House Show...once Bret left, Owen was not going to be heading up. This whole rumor that Owen was going to be "The Game" character? Total bullshit! The Game came out of Triple H...you might be able to make an argument he stole The Franchise gimmick, but that's about it. After Owen's death WWE allowed a lot of their stars to redesign their gimmicks as they felt bad that Owen died performing a gimmick he didn't like. Paul chose to reshare Sophmoric Humor Triple H into The Game. Like I said Owen was going to run out the rest of his contract (which is memory serves me correctly was around the 9 month mark) doing Blue Blazer. The End. Sorry to sound harsh, but I get upset when someone dies and suddenly people take what they have done, totally throw it aside and cry to the heavens about what they could have done. Honor the man for his accomplishments, don't drag him up and talk about what could have been.

Avenger
11-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh god. Ok. This is quite possibly the second most talked about topic in forum history (after Montreal...and maybe Best Finisher). No. Ok. Owen Hart would not have won the World Title. First off, Owen didn't have much time left on his contract. It was widely known that Owen really didn't want to resign a contract becuase he was growing tired of wrestling and didn't like the direction it was headed in. He was a very smart man when it came to money and saved wisely and invested even better. He was supposed to run out the rest of his career with the Blue Blazer gimmick, and occasionally teaming with Jarrett once and again. Owen never really had an ambition to be World Champion, nor was he honestly even very close to it. The closest he came was a "Dusty Finish" where he won the Title at a House Show...once Bret left, Owen was not going to be heading up. This whole rumor that Owen was going to be "The Game" character? Total bullshit! The Game came out of Triple H...you might be able to make an argument he stole The Franchise gimmick, but that's about it. After Owen's death WWE allowed a lot of their stars to redesign their gimmicks as they felt bad that Owen died performing a gimmick he didn't like. Paul chose to reshare Sophmoric Humor Triple H into The Game. Like I said Owen was going to run out the rest of his contract (which is memory serves me correctly was around the 9 month mark) doing Blue Blazer. The End. Sorry to sound harsh, but I get upset when someone dies and suddenly people take what they have done, totally throw it aside and cry to the heavens about what they could have done. Honor the man for his accomplishments, don't drag him up and talk about what could have been.Thank you sir

Chavo Classic
11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
to add to The One's very thorough and accurate statement, I believe that Owen wasn't the kind of person who really craved the title. He enjoyed entertaining. I don't think he would have lobbied so much for a shot at the title, and although he would have been very flattered and grateful if the chance came his way; he probably wouldn't have believed it was that important to his life.

There is definative answer to this question. It's really too hard to say. But I'm fairly certain that an individual like Owen wouldn't have felt being champion was all that important, and consequently, probably would never have been made the number one guy. Not that he lacked spirit or committment, more that he had bigger things in his life.

hb2k
11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Owen was due to win the IC title that night and get rid of the Blue Blazer gimmick.

That's not true.

Honestly, I don't believe that he would have, just because there were so many people cluttering the top level with other guys they were pushing, with Owen being a mid-card guy, that I don't think a) WWE would have looked to him to be a top guy, and b) that Owen would have stuck around long enough to get the 'respect' run that Benoit did if it ever would have happened.

Innovator
11-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Probably not. Even back in the day, Owen never really needed the title back in 94, he was already so over as a heel it would have been detrimental almost to put it on him. Also if he won it, then he would have had to focused off of Bret for a while.

Destor
11-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Gotta go with no. If he was gonna, chances are he would have prior (not that this pleases me.)

Ben Rodrigues
11-17-2005, 05:23 AM
Owen's time if any to actually win the belt would've been immediatley post Montreal. Just unfortunate for him that the Austin era was really taking off.

Rob
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Once the likes of Angle, Benoit, Jericho and Guerrero showed up and had awesome matches with everyone, Owen Hart would have been right there with them and they all got world title runs.